Which past NCL ship do you wish you had sailed on?

coaster

I would love to hear your thoughts on this. NCL had some wonderful, unique and often smaller than other mainstream cruise line ships that sailed before the Epic's of today. Many are still around and just with smaller lines now.

I have multiple NCL ships that I wish I had sailed on. It has been a tough decision to rank my top one as the candidate list is fairly high. Please share your top ship first and I will respond with mine.

Edited by coaster

I would love to hear your thoughts on this. NCL had some wonderful, unique and often smaller than other mainstream cruise line ships that sailed before the Epic's of today. Many are still around and just with smaller lines now.

I have multiple NCL ships that I wish I had sailed on. It has been a tough decision to rank my top one as the candidate list is fairly high. Please share your top ship first and I will respond with mine.

The Norway......:)

Definitely the Norway. I remember as a kid going on my first cruise which was the NCL Starward and seeing the deck plans of the Norway with an icecream place marked on it. I really had wished we were going on that ship instead. At the time, the Norway seemed huge. Although, compared to today's ships, it might not have as many bells and whistles, but to me as a kid I was wowed by it. So that ship will always have a special place in my heart.

Yes. The Norway The Breakaway came to New York 30 years after the Norway arrived in New York the first time. The Norway was the first cruise ship that was over a 1, 000 feet long.

The Norway introduced large ship cruising in 1980.

Before the Norway came into service under NCL, cruise ships were typically about half the size with exception of the QEII.

A model I built of the Norway resides on the Bridge of the Breakaway.

It seems to be a Norway trend. I sailed her so I can't put her on my list. I went into Miami a day early just to see her again before our Norwegian Majesty cruise the next day. I took my avatar picture of her during my last live view of her in January of 2003. This was a few months before her tragic mishap at the pier. She was just a beautiful ship that NCL took pride in. Additional nominations are welcome.

Edited by coaster

Another vote for the Norway. No question.

Someone mentioned the SS United States...while it was owned by NCL for a few years, it was never registered nor used, while its sad hulk languished away in Philly....

The one ship that NCL still uses, but I missed sailing on while it was homeported in NYC was the Spirit. I'll try to cruise on it some time in the future.

Another vote for the Norway. No question.

Someone mentioned the SS United States...while it was owned by NCL for a few years, it was never registered nor used, while its sad hulk languished away in Philly....

The one ship that NCL still uses, but I missed sailing on while it was homeported in NYC was the Spirit. I'll try to cruise on it some time in the future.

The Spirit is a beautiful ship which I did have the pleasure to sail on, when it did the Boston to Bermuda run, a few years back.

The one which I wished I tried is the Norway. I walked past her when we were boarding a different ship in Miami. In fact, as we were discussing the possibility of booking the Norway, the news came on about her disaster.

We have sailed on so many NCL ships that I only can think of one: We had booked the Norway for our granddaughters 21st BD celebration. Unfortunately it had the accident and we never got to sail her.

I too would have to say Norway. Not to many other options .

They were built in such a different way , more battle ship than cruise ship.

We sailed the American Hawaii cruises "Independence" and I still recall having to step through all those bulkhead doorways . Constantly stepping over steel.

It was something to remember , Oh and no stabilizers :eek: weeeee

We had 3 cruises on the Norway. Awesome experiences.

We could watch the transformation from the "France" to the Norway 24/7 on the stateroom tv.

She had such a big draft that we always had to tender into St. Thomas. Quite a feat since in the late afternoon the wind came off the open water and the difference in deck heights getting off the tender could be as great as 3 feet on the lee side of the ship.

It was a great spectator sport for those already safely on board.

The Spirit is a beautiful ship which I did have the pleasure to sail on, when it did the Boston to Bermuda run, a few years back./quote]

When the Dawn and the Spirit held down the homeport assignments at NYC, I did get a chance to at least tour the Spirit, and enjoy a luncheon aboard her, via the World Ship Society....

Especially loved the "Bridge Viewing Room" and nautical displays.....far and away the best of its kind I have ever seen.:)

For those of you who had wished you had sailed on the Norway,

perhaps this will allay your emotions.

1st on a positive note: check out the picture below: (How do you load the full size pictures?)

This was 1990 and it was the 2nd cruise for me. I've been on maybe 30 since then; 6 or 7 with NCL.

It was probably the worst cruise I have ever been on.

This was mainly due to the interactions with the people in the group I had signed up to travel with.

It was a big beautiful ship but was cavernous inside. To me the good looks weren't enough to sustain a 7 day cruise. There's a reason why the cruise ships are laid out as they are now with commensurate amenities.

And for all the people complaining about NCL's food today, it is actually much better now than it was then.

There were only 2 ports of call in 7 days: St. Thomas and St. Maarten. I believe the hull was so low it could only dock in places that had docks with deep water?

The ship demographics: The passengers consisted largely of people who were even older than I am now. So there wasn't much of an air of excitement for a single passenger like me.

norway.jpg.eb72dc0514edb5506d6a6d74f8f46864.jpg

The one

The only

The incomparable one

The NORWAY

Norwegian Crown

We saw her in St. George's Harbor in 2007 when we sailed on the Norwegian Majesty. I wish we had the chance to sail on that small ship before she was sold and became the Balmoral of the Fred Olsen Cruise Line.

The Norway was our first cruise and we have been hooked ever since.