Hand sanitizer - interesting article

ariawoman

Interesting article on CNN regarding the use of hand sanitizer. http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/16/health/hand-sanitizer-toxic-upwave/index.html

I'm pretty sure that using it so much on my Summit cruise (the one that was code red due to the one before having the 300+ passenger noro outbreak) is what caused me to end up sick eventually.

Interesting read either way.

I always believe that good soap and water washing beats a hand sanitizer. Celebrity uses Purrell which, according to their web site, is alcohol based, not the triclosan base that the author does not like.

I agree, but there are times when travelling that a good soap and water washing just isn't possible, and on those occasions it's nice to have an alcohol-based sanitizer available. :)

They were handing it out while getting on the Summit from shore last week, and I didn't mind using it. I never use it otherwise, but was OK with it. My hubby just said "No, thank you" when they would hold it out and say "please sanitize". No one ever said anything to him about refusing it.

I grew up on a farm, and am not a germaphobic. I just don't believe in all the anti- this and anti-that, along with hand sanitizer. BUT, I will say that the one thing on the ship that made me think twice were those grimy elevator buttons. But that was only for a split second.

No hand sanitizer will protect you from noro virus. It will kill other germs such as bacteria. Soap and water is best for noro protection.

On its web pages entitled Preventing Norovirus Infection, the CDC states that "Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can be used in addition to hand washing. But, they should not be used as a substitute for washing with soap and water."

On their page Handwashing: Clean Hands Save Lives, they state that "Washing hands with soap and water is the best way to reduce the number of germs on them. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can quickly reduce the number of germs on hands in some situations, but sanitizers do not eliminate all types of germs."

So, alcohol-based sanitizers will help to protect you against the norovirus, but certainly not as effectively as good old soap and water.

I recall researching this a couple of years ago when the ship we were about to board had two successive noro attacks. The alcohol-based stuff on board is a commercial formulation that will kill both bacteria and viruses (virii?) on your hands. Also, the active ingredient in Gold Bond Ultimate Hand Sanitizer is listed by the CDC as good for noro.

Of course, as the article linked at the top of this thread says, soap & water are better - and neither of the sanitizers works on dirty hands.

j

Its unfortunate that the people who probably got everyone sick are the lazy ones that I see come out of the men's room without washing their hands.....ew:eek:

...and those lazy ones that come out of the ladies room without washing their hands...gross!!

Just off the infinity. Generally, someone serves the food that you point to...the exceptions are the salad bar, desserts and bread. I also saw them testing some of the items with a thermometer to assure they were hot enough (off topic, but worth noting).

Now the buffet lunch. The celebrity folks wore gloves, the passengers just picked up tongs, took what they wanted and put the tongs back....on top of the food. In fact, there were two large trays of smoked fish with tongs layed on top of them by the Celebrity person who put them there...not even a plate on the table. What good does it do for the celebrity folks to wear gloves if the passengers don't and then contaminate the food....and it was DIY sanitizers..not even anyone at the doors trying to get folks to sanitize.

And in the aqua spa cafe, I saw more than a handful of folks pick up a dish of something, look at it, and then put it back....after having their thumb in the bowl. It's kind of hard to want to then pick up something and eat it.

The lack of cleanliness when leaving the bathroom is sex indiscriminate....and then someone pulls the door handle without washing their hands and those that follow who have washed their hands now pull on that door handle.

I just can't love buffets.....and the more I watch folks just walk by me as I'm washing my hands makes me more than a bit cautious....and I am not a germophobe.

According to the on board information channel in the TV, the ship recommends you not use Purell or other hand sanitizers you bring aboard, instead use the sanitizers provided by the ship's crew and sanitizing stations as it is a special formulation for use on the cruise ship.

I don't know what's special about it, but that's what the info channel said.

On their page Handwashing: Clean Hands Save Lives, they state that "Washing hands with soap and water is the best way to reduce the number of germs on them. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can quickly reduce the number of germs on hands in some situations, but sanitizers do not eliminate all types of germs."

So, alcohol-based sanitizers will help to protect you against the norovirus, but certainly not as effectively as good old soap and water.

The article states the sanitizers help with the reduction (not elimination) of "germs". Problem is, norovirus is not a germ.

The wifester giggles at me when we get in the elevator and I spray the buttons with sanitizer. Prob does zero good but it's worth a go :D

FYI, there are a couple of people just on this board who have mentioned they are allergic to them. I don't think that's a good idea.

The article states the sanitizers help with the reduction (not elimination) of "germs". Problem is, norovirus is not a germ.

So then, you disagree when the CDC says specifically in relation to the norovirus that "Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can be used in addition to hand washing. But, they should not be used as a substitute for washing with soap and water"?

The wifester giggles at me when we get in the elevator and I spray the buttons with sanitizer. Prob does zero good but it's worth a go :D

I NEVER push a button, any button with my finger. Using a knuckle lessens potential risk. :cool:

I NEVER push a button, any button with my finger. Using a knuckle lessens potential risk. :cool:

Forgot photo... :o

(ps... not my hand.... red nail polish isn't my colour.... :o.... and if it was maybe I'd have the wife touch it up a bit before I take a picture.... :o )

9asbj5.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

I know there have been lots of discussion on here before about which antibacterial soaps work and which wipes work. Assuming alcohol-based ones help, wouldn't these single hand wipes be somewhat affective and better than most generic ones with Noro since they are more than 60% alcohol: http://www.germx.com/product_detail.aspx?id=46

I know there are some very expensive ones that kill Noro, but these seem to be a decent fix for most.

And in the aqua spa cafe, I saw more than a handful of folks pick up a dish of something, look at it, and then put it back....after having their thumb in the bowl. It's kind of hard to want to then pick up something and eat it.

A waitress served a customer some coffee and had her thumb in the cup, served the soup and had her thumb in the bowl. The customer questioned the waitress about it and she told him it was because her thumb was cold. He sarcastically suggested that she sticks her thumb up her a$$. She replied that she does that when in the back room. 👍

.🎅🎄

The hand sanitizer they use on the ship makes my hands sore and also makes my nails brittle. I use Response Beta which I order on-line from a UK company. Marvelous stuff, no more sore hands and it says it protects against norovirus. I just carry it around with me and then when they offer me their sanitizer I just say that I have my own and spray my hands infront of them. No problem.

Doctors and nurses use sanitizers dozens of times a day and I doubt very much their immune systems are so shot that they easily pick up bugs that are floating arouond.

You can get Germstar at Amazon. It's a sprayed liquid and supposedly works much beet than the gel sanitizers. Of coursers many have said, washing your hands thoroughly and not touching the door on the way out is the best way to prevent sickness.