what would you do?

beachchairs2

we are flying out of fort laud after our cruise....our flight is at 7:15 pm..yeah you got it...would have to spend a whole day at airport....

but we could take an earlier flight at 10:40 am...would you take that chance?

If you use self-disembarkation and get off the ship as early as possible, you would probably make it. But is it worth the stress after an enjoyable and relaxing cruise? What happens if you don't make the flight? Can you easily rebook the 7:15 flight? At what additional cost?

There are numerous options available to you other than sitting at the airport. You should explore some of them before deciding. Have a leisurely breakfast, plan to be the last of the ship, rather than the first, and enjoy your end of cruise.

;)WIWD:see if there is an excursion you can take to fill in the hours before your night flight. :)

They usually do offer an excursion that will end by taking you to the airport. Can always see Sawgrass Mills if they like to shop. Could go to the beach. Early flight may cause stress.

we are flying out of fort laud after our cruise....our flight is at 7:15 pm..yeah you got it...would have to spend a whole day at airport....

but we could take an earlier flight at 10:40 am...would you take that chance?

We had a similar situation in London. I listened to CC and changed my flight; however, we would have been just fine. I guess it would depend on your temperament, and what you would face IF you didn't make it on time. Situations can happen at a moment's notice with the domino effect!

Edited by Lastdance

yeah would self disembark....but still have to get a taxi to airport..do immigration....hmm.....too bad there is just nothing for us but the two extremes, one too early and the other way too late...

after a cruise I just want to go home...no sawgrass mills, no tour....but sitting at airport for 10 hours..yikes.....

Does the cruise line offer the luggage direct option where you dont see the luggage again after putting it out the night before, until you land in your destination? I know RCCL does for some ports/airlines - you might want to check if there's an option for you. That would lessen the load, anyway.

yeah would self disembark....but still have to get a taxi to airport..do immigration....hmm.....too bad there is just nothing for us but the two extremes, one too early and the other way too late...

after a cruise I just want to go home...no sawgrass mills, no tour....but sitting at airport for 10 hours..yikes.....

Then you just have 2 choices: (1) take an earlier flight, or (2) take the flight as planned. Could you make the earlier flight? Sure, if everything goes right and there are only slight delays. Haven't been at the Ft.Lauderdale port in about 6 months, but there were delays the last few times I disembarked there. One delay leaving the Constellation was significant. At one point they stopped the process. They were understaffed at C and I and the agents seemed to be interviewing everyone.I felt that it was an intentional slowdown. A taxi is always available and the ride to the airport is very short. Guess it's really up to you. You know how you handle stress.

When we have an evening flight on disembarkation day, we rent a car close to the pier that can be dropped off at the airport. We have a leisurely lunch somewhere nice, maybe do a bit of shopping or sightseeing, grab and early dinner rather than airport food. Luggage is stashed in the trunk so we're free of shlepping it around.

DH drops me off at the airport departure area, and loads the luggage cart. I'll grab a coffee and a seat. He is then scoots to the car return and grabs the shuttle back without having to deal with luggage. He meets up with me and we check in. Works for us.

When we have an evening flight on disembarkation day, we rent a car close to the pier that can be dropped off at the airport. We have a leisurely lunch somewhere nice, maybe do a bit of shopping or sightseeing, grab and early dinner rather than airport food. Luggage is stashed in the trunk so we're free of shlepping it around....

I was going to report the exact same plan - Cruise Critic needs a like button. We've done that two or three times at FLL when we've had late flights. You can rent from one of the neighborhood rental counters like Budget (call and ask about shuttles) and some companies operate a shuttle bus to the airport rental center - but do ask before relying on this as they check for proof you're renting from one of the participating rental companies before you board the shuttle bus.

We'll head to Ft Lauderdale beach for lunch, shopping on Las Olas or another area and take a walk along the beach.

Edited by Lsimon

We're facing the same situation for our cruise out of San Francisco in March. Plan: whenever we disembark will taxi to hotel we overnight at prior to cruise, drop our luggage in storage, walk around Fisherman's Wharf or ride cable car, have lunch, etc.; catch shuttle bus from hotel to airport when we're ready. No rush, no fuss, no sitting at the airport all day, take advantage of the extra hours in a great city. Have a great trip!

I am 'assumeing' and you know what that meens, that you are returning to PE too, right? If so, FLL airport is the only one we would do thia at. You carry off your luggage, You have no long lingering final goodby wonderful cruise ship MDR breakfast! You get up at the first sound of the stabilizers pushing into the dock and get down to the door, out ASAP, into a cab for the short 15 min ride to the airport, check in, and presto! Grab an egg mcmuffin and a bloddy mary. It can be done:D

We are hanging around the day we return and still booked the 6:30 PM flight out the next day!

Edited by wallie5446

The problem can be customs and immigration. Sometimes there are too few and the lines get really long. The cruiselines usually offer tours for late departures. I would look to see if any interest you - we did an airboat ride. It was better than sitting around the airport.

If DH really wants to sit at the airport all day I hope you have access to the airlines lounge.

I would opt for the earlier flight. I would rather leave the ship early than spend the entire day waiting in that airport. However, if you were to rent a car and visit some of the local sites, that could be a lot of fun and a nice way to end your vacation.

We had a late flight out of FLL last year. We used the option where they took our luggage to the airport and walked to the pier and took the boat sightseeing tour. and stopped and had lunch and walked the boardwalk in Hollywood. Then we took a cab to the airport. it was a nice day.

Another alternative would be to stay another day and enjoy a relaxing day at a hotel, much better than 10 hours at the airport. There are some that offer shuttle service from the port.

We also have a later flight (6:30). We have done both the airboat trip (BTDT) and Sawgrass Mills, which I would repeat...But that being said, I am very interested in sending luggage off to the airport and going to Hollywood. Love that boardwalk! Can anyone help with whether Celebrity will do the luggage thing, best way to get to Hollywood and where is the best place on the boardwalk that would have facilities, beach chairs? I have only been to the area near the Marriot. We would probably rather not rent a car, but if that is the most efficient we could try that. Additionally, how long can you stay on the ship? You can just not report to your disembarkation location and take your time? I like the idea of leisurely having breakfast. I didn't think services onboard were available all that long? Thanks!