Compassion for Filipino Crew This Weekend

evandbob

In today's Sunday New York Times and updated on the web within the past hour, they have this headline: "Devastation Feared Across Central Philippines in Typhoon’s Wake" with these highlights: "One of the most powerful typhoons ever recorded now appears to have devastated cities, towns and fishing villages with heavy loss of life when it played a deadly form of hopscotch across the islands of the central Philippines on Friday. Barreling across palm-fringed beaches and plowing into frail homes with a force that by some estimates approached that of a tornado, but sprawling across a huge area of this far-flung archipelago, Typhoon Haiyan delivered a crippling blow to this country’s midsection. Disorder and looting over the weekend compounded the destruction. President Benigno S. Aquino III declared a 'state of calamity' in provinces encompassing islands across the breadth of the Philippines. The declaration is devised to release emergency funds from the national coffers. But those coffers have already been depleted this year by a series of other natural disasters, most notably an earthquake with a magnitude of 7.2 that also struck the middle of the country four weeks ago. The first and most vocal city to cry for help over the weekend was Tacloban on Leyte Island. The typhoon left Tacloban in ruins, as a storm surge as high as 13 feet overwhelmed its streets, with reports from the scene saying that most of the houses had been damaged or destroyed in the city of 220,000. More than 300 bodies have already been recovered, said Tecson John S. Lim, the city administrator, adding that the toll could reach 10,000 in Tacloban alone. The lack of clear information about the extent of the damage raised the possibility that other areas could have been hit just as badly as Tacloban, where rescue efforts were being concentrated."

Very sad. Right now, it is still hard to appreciate how badly these areas have been hit and damaged. Lots of cruise ship staff are affected and not knowing how their families in these areas are doing, surviving.

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/11/world/asia/philippines-typhoon.html?hpw&rref=world

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 123,515 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

When I first saw the path of Haiyan, I thought of the cruise ship workers that will be effected by the impending disaster.

Hopefully the cruise industry will be compassionate towards the worker who will want to go home to deal with the aftermath.

Also, as many have stated, I hope the passengers will be extra kind to the workers on the ships.

I cannot imagine being in the shoes of someone who is unable to contact home or a loved one after such a devastating event.

I'm sure donating to the red cross is good, but also tipping additional will help as well. The Red Cross might assist with basic needs, but the families of crew members will need to rebuild their lives as well.

I can't imagine what these people are going through. My wife and I always make friends with the crew while on the ships. Several of our favorites were from the Philippines. I hope Carnival and other lines try to help out the staff that has lost family.

I lived through Hurricane Hugo as a child. I can't imagine something so much stronger ripping through a country. Prayers with all involved. Keep them in mind as you cruise over the next few months. Your server could have just lost a close family member.

You know, I was just thinking about that. There are many workers on ships that are from that area. I was wondering if the cruise lines are giving any extra considerations for the crews during this time of need?

I would think a little extra in the tip, or even some phone cards would be a nice gesture on the passengers part.

Just my opinion.

Wondering if anyone else had some ideas?

We just saw the first of several ominous TV News bulletins

coming out of what's left of the Philippines. - It's not good.

My wife was in tears just watching it.

Lots of children dead, poor little things

dead bodies all thru the streets

- the death toll will ultimately be in the thousands!

Almost every single one of the Filipino ships-crew will have lost someone, or a home

so go easy on them and TALK to them

-it'll probably go further and be as useful to them as a tip would be.

Wouldn't be surprised if this event causes much upheaval in the entire cruise industry

as many of them break contract to go back home

to bury a mother, look after children, rebuild a house, whatever!

The situation is BAD out there!

They are asking other countries to please send more body-bags.

Does that tell you?!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24878801

This is what I have been seeing on the news and thinking also.

We are cruising in 12 days, I know there will be many crew members affected by this.

My family and I will be sure to talk to them and be even more kind than we already are to try and make it just a little bit easier on them, trying to make our vacation special. Feel so guilty just saying that.

There will be no special requests from us on this cruise. Whatever we need that is at all possible that we can go get ourselves, will be done. I will walk my butt to the bar for wine glasses and such.

The extra tips will be flying this cruise.

My heart is so sad for these folks. I can't even begin to imagine the anguish.