Compassion for Filipino Crew This Weekend

evandbob

With this Cat 5 Typhoon barreling through the Phillipines, it may be days before some crew members hear about their families, relatives and friends at home. A little empathy and understanding might go a long way with those affected by this storm.

With this Cat 5 Typhoon barreling through the Phillipines, it may be days before some crew members hear about their families, relatives and friends at home. A little empathy and understanding might go a long way with those affected by this storm.

their jobs are demanding enough. with the added stress of this storm and the already infrequent contact with their families i'm sure the phillipino crew members are going to be on edge. i hope all the guests take that into consideration this coming week.

I also hope that a few extra $'s in tips will flow their way, as well as the empathy and understanding. Most of the workers send every bit they make back home and they are going to need every penny possible to start rebuilding their lives.

I also hope that a few extra $'s in tips will flow their way, as well as the empathy and understanding. Most of the workers send every bit they make back home and they are going to need every penny possible to start rebuilding their lives.

Yes, so agree! Hope those on ships will be especially generous with extra tips to the Pilipino crew.

LuLu

and not just the next couple cruises, they will need help and support for many months coming!!

praying for the crew and thier families.

Yes.

This has been on my mind since I saw the news last night. My prayers go out to everyone in this storm's path and the family crew on ships that are concerned about their loved ones.

Does Carnival assign certain nationalities to certain positions (in general)
Yes it does.

I've noticed on Carnival

(and on Royal Caribbean and Ocean Village cruise lines)

that Security jobs at the entry/exit point of the ship

goes to big, dead-serious Indian guys with mustaches

they look like maybe Sikh -or Gurkah Regiment types, to be more specific.

Housekeeping/cabin-steward duties seem to go to South-East Asian people.

I've even encountered one or two who don't speak or understand English!!

Not a problem -just an observation.

Dining Room staff are often Central Europeans.

Royal Caribbean Captains (and presumably bridge team included) are Norwegian

whereas Carnival Capts. are usually Italiano!

So..yes...IN GENERAL..certain nationalities seem better suited to This Job or That Job

based on personal observation over the last few years.

Edited by Aplmac

Yes it does.

I've noticed on Carnival

So..yes...IN GENERAL..certain nationalities seem better suited to This Job or That Job

I agree. From what I can tell they recruit for the different departments in different parts of the world. Not 100% obviously, but there are definitely prevailing trends.

We just saw the first of several ominous TV News bulletins

coming out of what's left of the Philippines. - It's not good.

My wife was in tears just watching it.

Lots of children dead, poor little things

dead bodies all thru the streets

- the death toll will ultimately be in the thousands!

Almost every single one of the Filipino ships-crew will have lost someone, or a home

so go easy on them and TALK to them

-it'll probably go further and be as useful to them as a tip would be.

Wouldn't be surprised if this event causes much upheaval in the entire cruise industry

as many of them break contract to go back home

to bury a mother, look after children, rebuild a house, whatever!

The situation is BAD out there!

They are asking other countries to please send more body-bags.

Does that tell you?!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24878801

Edited by Aplmac

We just saw the first of several ominous TV News bulletins

coming out of what's left of the Philippines. - It's not good.

My wife was in tears just watching it.

Lots of children dead, poor little things

dead bodies all thru the streets

- the death toll will ultimately be in the thousands!

Almost every single one of the Filipino ships-crew will have lost someone, or a home

so go easy on them and TALK to them

-it'll probably go further and be as useful to them as a tip would be.

Wouldn't be surprised if this event causes much upheaval in the entire cruise industry

as many of them break contract to go back home

to bury a mother, look after children, rebuild a house, whatever!

The situation is BAD out there!

They are asking other countries to please send more body-bags.

Does that tell you?!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24878801

The right place to throw any extra money are the people that can get help to these people, like the Red Cross. Extra tipping money won't help anyone if the infrastructure can't even be opened to purchase anything.

We are thinking of and praying for all of the crew and families that have been endangered by Typhoon Haiyan. We met so many great crew members from the Philippines on the ships who were working to support their families. I know this difficult time to be away from home. God bless you.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

It is just complete devastation over there the update just came thru the estimate is 1,200 people dead. I lived to hurricane Andrew and that was a nightmare. My thoughts and prays go out to the Philippines. To be working on a cruise ship half a world away I just don't know what I would do.

My thoughts are with the people in the Phillipines.

There are a lot of ways to give. They probably won't do it, but Carnival should set up a separate donation option for crew members with family members who were impacted, and that money should be shared across the fleet. I'll give extra to the Red Cross, but I'd also donate onboard if that option were available.

I really hope crew assignments are based on skills, education, career interests, etc...

This Cat-5 super typhoon of the century is NOT done yet and still on the move - packing 150 MPH wind as Cat-4 and could pickup speed again in open waters, heading toward Vietnam & Loas next - landing as Cat-1 or 2 storm with extremely heavy rainfall. Definitely would NOT want to be cruising anywhere in that region with the storm raging on.

Meanwhile, definitely pause for a moment of silence & say our prayers, quietly if need be, loss of human lives and destruction of properties are always tragic and sad - and, there're plenty of warnings & time to prepare and run for higher grounds, unlike the tsunami.

Death toll are in the 1,000's now which, based on patterns of disaster relief & recovery tracking - tend to be low & partial, will probably mushroom into several thousands if not more once figures come in from remote regions cutoff from first responders & communications, often taking them days to reach the scenes.

Lots of crew membes with families & friends will be trying to call home at the ship's next port of calls, using calling cards or whatever and/or try to get to the internet.

In giving to worthy global relief efforts, we prefer to give to charities that dispatch aid & volunteers directly, instead of holding on to a portion of the money donated for distribution later on - the Red Cross organizations have had to "defend" its questionable practices worldwide, and - what they've done (and not done or seen) in the days after Sandy is still fresh in our minds here in NYC.

wp3113.gif

Just off Triumph this morning. Couldn't help but notice that some of the Filipino crew members were glancing at the TVs as much as possible the last couple of days. Despite everything they still gave excellent service and you'd never know that they had the added stress of worrying about their families back home. My heart goes out to them and praying for their families.

I feel for them also! I never ever trust the red cross any longer (and I worked for them in the past) if you knew that they had millions of your donated money held back after 3 years and their excuse is they don't have anyone to facilitate the money would you be happy? Red Cross is a money making business don't let them fool you. They hold onto the money for as long as they can drawing interest and hoping people forget about it so it stays in the coffers indefinitely.

I never ever trust the red cross any longer (and I worked for them in the past)

if you knew that they had millions of your donated money held back after 3 years

and their excuse is they don't have anyone to facilitate the money would you be happy?

Red Cross is a money making business don't let them fool you.

They hold onto the money for as long as they can drawing interest

and hoping people forget about it, so it stays in the coffers indefinitely.

I don't doubt that one little bit!

The situation is BAD in those parts of the Philippines being shown on TV.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24887337

The damage looks like a curious mixture of tornado damage

("sticks" everywhere, cars tossed around like toys)

and tsunami damage (wet "sticks" everywhere -and wet cars tossed around like toys..)

Edited by Aplmac

Yes it does.

I've noticed on Carnival

I've noticed this also. On a recent "behind the scenes" tour it was mentioned that they actually did this. Was told because of the same language and culture the workers worked better together.