Panama Canal - Balcony???

Pete69

Hi Guys,

Just wanting people thoughts on weather its worth upgrading to a balcony for a full transit of the panama canal?

It has been nine years since my Panama Canal partial cruise. I was on the Island Princess, Dolphin deck, with a balcony. We literally reached out and touched the lock walls as we went through. I'm still amazed at how the ship went through. So yes, upgrade to a balcony. :)

The last time I took a Panama Canal cruise, I had an oceanview cabin. Didn't miss having the balcony. It's great for viewing but the weather is very hot and humid. There is plenty of open deck for viewing the Canal without paying extra for a balcony.

Hi Guys,

Just wanting people thoughts on weather its worth upgrading to a balcony for a full transit of the panama canal?

You would still want to leave your cabin for much of the transit. Unless you have a forward or rear facing balcony, you will miss half the canal by staying on your balcony for the transit.

I've always found the promenade deck to be the best place - the lock walls are a couple of feet from your nose! You can walk around and see fore, aft and both sides whist being shaded from the hot sun. I usually pop up to the upper decks for variety and to get an overview - the transit takes several hours so you've plenty of time to see it from all angles.

Absolutely no need to waste your money on a balcony, and if you have an obstr. OV on Emerald deck, it's very easy to go back to your cabin if you need.

Edited by jollyjones

We are on the March 17 full transit on the Island and we opted for a balcony over an OV, not for the canal itself but for the rest of the cruise. It was about $600 more, and for 15 days in the Caribbean we figured it would be worth it. We will definitely be on deck when we go through the canal, but since there are so many sea days there should be plenty of time to enjoy the balcony.

I'm a big fan of obstructed OVs, if you get the right one they are a great buy, but on the Island the obstructions are pretty bad so we decided against it on this one.

The last time I took a Panama Canal cruise, I had an oceanview cabin. Didn't miss having the balcony

On Coral we took an Oceanview Window-mini-suite (larger room, no balcony) thru the canal. We got this for the same price as a balcony. There is an almost-private small deck at the bow, a few doors down the hall.

Something to think about.

Steve

The last time I took a Panama Canal cruise, I had an oceanview cabin. Didn't miss having the balcony. It's great for viewing but the weather is very hot and humid. There is plenty of open deck for viewing the Canal without paying extra for a balcony.

The balcony is nice but best views are from the upper the decks.

Edited by dorisis

Book a balcony if you want to use it on the cruise. Don't book it if your goal is to get good private views of the canal transit. The views are really not so good from the balcony. The best views are from the upper open decks where you can look down and walk around to see the 360 degree views. Also, on the open deck you will hear the narrator over the load speaker system, mentioning different facts about the operation. In your cabin you must tune in the TV to get the talk, and you may not have a view of what the speaker is talking about.

When we did our PC cruise on the island, we started our approach to the locks at 4:30am. It was very nice having the balcony where we just put our robes on and didn't have to go very far considering we were not even fully awake. Also made for a nice private view of the sunrise

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Do you NEED a balcony? No, not really. If your budget allows would I suggest one, yes... It's nice to have a place to get away from the crowds a bit mid-transit and see what's going on. Of course, your view will vary based on which side the ship is assigned to, no way to know in advance.

We had the corner mid-ship bumpout front, which I loved for field of view, but to be fair it is a smaller balcony and a bit windy in transit.

We usually sail in a balcony or mini-suite but went with a Plaza (5) deck oceanview cabin at a savings of $600/person for our January full transit cruise. The pricing was so good that we added this unplanned cruise. The Coral and Island are built for scenic cruising with forward and aft public viewing decks as well as forward viewing on Sun (15) and Sports (16) decks. Good viewing to the sides on Promenade (7), Lido (14), Sun (15) and Sports (16) decks. We went to our Plaza (5) deck cabin as we went through one lock. When the ship is at the lowest level in the locks the cabin is at least two decks below the level of the locks and you can get up close and personal with the walls if the canal. The same views are available from the La Patisserie windows.

I would pick a covered or partially covered balcony if you can afford it. One person mentioned the sunrise and the 4:30 AM start time. Another person mentioned the heat and humidity. It's wonderful to be able to duck into the cabin and cool off occasionally. Also it does rain there fairly frequently. A covered balcony is wonderful in the rain!;)

While going thru the Canal you definitely will not want to be in your cabin. So if that is the only reason you are thinking balcony, then no don't spend the money. To experience the transit you really need to be out on deck where you can get a 360 degree view.

Now.. think of your "lifestyle" on ship. On warm weather cruises we enjoy a light breakfast and coffee on our balcony every morning before leaving the ship. But we aren't in any hurry to join up with excursions or groups most mornings. DH enjoys sitting out on the balcony reading quietly

on sea days.. And we enjoy having a glass of wine before heading to dinner. So....if you can picture yourself actually spending time there, then sure go for it. But if you are busy and don't expect to use it...skip it. It can add a lot of cost to your trip.

I would pick a covered or partially covered balcony if you can afford it. One person mentioned the sunrise and the 4:30 AM start time. Another person mentioned the heat and humidity. It's wonderful to be able to duck into the cabin and cool off occasionally. Also it does rain there fairly frequently. A covered balcony is wonderful in the rain!;)

My DW and I did the Grand Panama Canal from FLL to YVR on the Coral Princess in May 2011. We stayed on the Caribe deck as the balconies on the Carbie deck are partially covered which came in handy as it can rain while transiting the canal/jungle of Panama. So you can still stand on your balcony to get great views of the jungle and construction of the new canal too.

As well, at the aft on the Caribe deck, they have a huge viewing area where you can see the canal in action and take great pictures. Enjoy!