Opting out of Automatic Gratuities

So I've read on here before that you can chose not to have the automatic gratuities added to your sea pass account. Personally I like the old ways of giving the staff cash in an envelope, this way I know that my money is going to the proper people. So How do you opt out? I know that you have to go to guest relations, but is this something that you have to do on the first day? Do you go on the last night? I rather not do that because I know it can be extremely crowded. Do you have to go each day they add the $12 or is it something that you tell them you don't want once and it stands for the entire length of the cruise? IF someone can shed some light that would be great

I think it is more a matter that in typical tipping situations we are simply use to handing the tip to the person who has directly supplied us with service. What happens to that money once it is handed out and who it is split with is a matter that most of us to not think about or concern ourselves with.

Why do you think your gratuities will not go to the "proper people"? Seriously asking.
Agreed.

I, in the past, always used the envelopes but will go along with the automatic - makes things easier for both you and the accounting dept. If you want to give extra do so by envelope.

recently on a rci cruise I asked my waiter which he preferred.. the cash envelopes or the prepaid tips... he and a few other waiters said they preferred the prepaid as it goes directly into their accounts... and there seemed to be less skippingout of tips with people who didn't show up on envelope nite....he also said anything he gets on top of the mandatory tip he can keep so it motivates them to give as best service as they can in hopes of receiving even more than the mandatory tip

recently on a rci cruise I asked my waiter which he preferred.. the cash envelopes or the prepaid tips... he and a few other waiters said they preferred the prepaid as it goes directly into their accounts... and there seemed to be less skippingout of tips with people who didn't show up on envelope nite....he also said anything he gets on top of the mandatory tip he can keep so it motivates them to give as best service as they can in hopes of receiving even more than the mandatory tip

Good points!

I also think that even when the tips are automatically paid, the workers are still motivated to provide stellar service because your positive comments the end-of-cruise surveys are almost as important to them as the monetary tips. Their time off, contract renewals, specific job assignments, etc, are strongly tied to the quality of the feedback they receive.

They may be more motivated,After paying Two hundred forty Dollars in so called gratuities.I am less motivated to tip more. :) :)

like to hear this as I want to tip more for extra service. One of the reasons I cruise is to be pampered. We tipped our waiter, asst. waiter and cabin service according extra on EN. Our steward was especially fabulous and I mentioned him by name on my comment card.

I don't know why but when someone asks how to get automatic tips off their account for any reason it translates to me as they don't want to pay tips and are using these boards to figure out how to do it. Just my humble opinion.

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

What is a difference? Would you be more motivated to pay more than recommended if it was not automated?

That is actually an interesting question. We have almost always paid more than the recommended amount when we paid cash at the end. The last cruise that we took is the first one where we pre-paid the gratuities. I decided to pay them up front and be done with it. And I mean DONE with it. But our cabin steward did some things for me that I felt I wanted to reward with extra. So even though I thought I was done with it I guess I wasn't. My point being that I think that I am more motivated to pay more when I pay in cash but I ended up paying more anyway. But if he had not done a couple of special things for me I THINK that I would have just left it with what I had pre-paid.

How is that for a wishy washy answer?:eek:

I don't know why but when someone asks how to get automatic tips off their account for any reason it translates to me as they don't want to pay tips and are using these boards to figure out how to do it. Just my humble opinion.

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

Well tipping is not mandatory as far as I know. Like if you go to a restaurant, they will not stop you from leaving without leaving a tip. Or at a hotel, or anywhere. Yes, I understand they work hard and most of their income comes from tips. But it is not mandatory so I dont see why people would get irritated by others not tipping if they do not want to.

Well tipping is not mandatory as far as I know. Like if you go to a restaurant, they will not stop you from leaving without leaving a tip. Or at a hotel, or anywhere. Yes, I understand they work hard and most of their income comes from tips. But it is not mandatory so I dont see why people would get irritated by others not tipping if they do not want to.

Because on C.C. people worry about such things as how much others tip, how others dress, and how they parent their kids.

like to hear this as I want to tip more for extra service. One of the reasons I cruise is to be pampered. We tipped our waiter, asst. waiter and cabin service according extra on EN. Our steward was especially fabulous and I mentioned him by name on my comment card.
Also want to make sure that my steward, waiters etc are getting their tips that are charged to my seapass easily.

That is actually an interesting question. We have almost always paid more than the recommended amount when we paid cash at the end. The last cruise that we took is the first one where we pre-paid the gratuities. I decided to pay them up front and be done with it. And I mean DONE with it. But our cabin steward did some things for me that I felt I wanted to reward with extra. So even though I thought I was done with it I guess I wasn't. My point being that I think that I am more motivated to pay more when I pay in cash but I ended up paying more anyway. But if he had not done a couple of special things for me I THINK that I would have just left it with what I had pre-paid.

How is that for a wishy washy answer?:eek:

This is a good answer. :)

And it sounds complitely right.

We only pay recommended amound if nothing extra is done.

But remember, some people do not pay anything at all or pay less if it is a cash. So by charging automatic tips company is making sure that nobody is hurt. Not to get extra is better than not to get anything at all.

Why do you think your gratuities will not go to the "proper people"? Seriously asking.

I just feel like now that royal is doing an automatic tip policy it's their digression how they divide it up. Before, you had a recommended amount, you put your money in an envelope and you give it directly to your wait staff and room staff.. Now, it's all left up to royal. I'm not saying they will keep it for themselves, but how do you know the 'recommended' amount is going to them? I know people on the forums has said "oh you can just give more" but sorry, i'm not doing that. So this way I know that for the great work they do, they are getting tipped for it. It's really just for peace of mind.