Sea sick meds free?

eng4

I've heard that if you go to the pursers desk, they'll give you free sea sick meds, but why not just go to your friendly CVS, Walgreens, or WalMart and buy a bottle of "over the counter" Meclizine? You have to ask the pharmacist for it, but the price for 100 tabs is only about $6, and that way you've got 'em and don't have to stand in line, sick, and try to get something that may, or may not help you if you're already sick? Just take one every morning, whether you need it or not, and you've got no worries.

"SKY"

They use to be free but that was years ago. Now you either need to bring them yourself or buy them at the gift shop which is way more than I would want to pay.

Or you could do what I do. I don't like taking meds so when I start to get nauseated, which does happen with rough seas, I eat a green apple from the buffet. Works every time. Learned this trick from a crew member, that is what the cruise lines have the newbies do instead of taking meds.

The bathroom clam shell on my Conquest cruise last week had a Bonine sample in it. I didn't open it so I don't know how many were in he package.

In my experience, if you need over-the-counter meds during your cruise, it is cheaper to get them from the infirmary than it is to buy them at the gift shop. The OTC meds I bought at the infirmary were reasonably priced. You'd have to get them during infirmary hours though.

Wishing you smooth sailing......

The bathroom clam shell on my Conquest cruise last week had a Bonine sample in it. I didn't open it so I don't know how many were in he package.

In my experience, if you need over-the-counter meds during your cruise, it is cheaper to get them from the infirmary than it is to buy them at the gift shop. The OTC meds I bought at the infirmary were reasonably priced. You'd have to get them during infirmary hours though.

Wishing you smooth sailing......

I am surprised that they would be cheaper at the infirmary. Last year when we were at the infirmary a guy came in and wanted some tylenol. The nurse told him meds like that are cheaper at the gift shop...the infirmary wanted $40 for 8 tylenol.:eek::eek:

We always take Ginger Root capsules 2 -twice a day beginning the day before the cruise and have never had any problems. All natural and inexpensive at Wal-Mart. I always have some Bonine or other medication with me as well just in case and have never had to use it. I just throw it away when it is expired and buy a new pack.

We always take Ginger Root capsules 2 -twice a day beginning the day before the cruise and have never had any problems. All natural and inexpensive at Wal-Mart. I always have some Bonine or other medication with me as well just in case and have never had to use it. I just throw it away when it is expired and buy a new pack.

Yep. I didn't know about Ginger Root until I discovered Cruise Critic (and that was before my 6th cruise). Tried it (still took 1/2 meclizine before bed if the seas were rough) and I now swear by it.

Seriously. It cured me. I used to avoid sea days. After realizing Ginger Root really does work, I've sailed much more often, with more sea days. Even did 14 nights roundtrip to Hawaii (in the Pacific in November on a smaller ship) and had absolutely no problems.

I make sure both my Ginger Root capsules and my generic meclizine tables are "fresh" because I do not EVER want to have that horrible, queasiness again. EVER!

We just got off the Valor yesterday and my sister needed seasick meds for the first time in 7 cruises. No idea why, she never had it before and we had very smooth seas for the most part. Anyway, she went to guest services and was able to get medicine but it was not free. I can't remember how much it was. If you think you will need it, I would take my own. Or try some of the other suggestions on here.

Seasick meds are best taken BEFORE you feel ill sooo we start taking them before the ship sails!! It is easy and inexpensive to buy them from your local pharmacy. They are right out on the shelf at ours so we don't have to ask anyone for them.

Yes, you can pick them up off the shelf, but those are "name brand" (like Bonine") and the price is about 10 times what it is if you ask for the generic equivalent. Both work just as well, so why pay more?

"SKY"

We just got off the Valor yesterday

and my sister needed seasick meds for the first time in 7 cruises.

No idea why, she never had it before and we had very smooth seas for the most part.

Willing to bet her motion-sickness problems happened

on the leg of the journey after Valor passed thru the channel between Southern St.Lucia

and the North end of St.Vincent

and then is headed up-wind, up-weather, up-swell to Barbados for the next 110 miles. :)

That can be a bumpy leg! I've done it several times (see where I live?)

One time I was in Victory cabin 6207, riiight up front..over the bow! Never again.

I was a bit green around the gills: not a nice feeling.

I routinely board ship with a six-pack of Ginger Ale in cans

and a roll or two of Ginger Snap cookies.

Key word: Ginger ;)

Other tip: Apples (ask the U.S.Navy) :)

Does anyone know if the sea sick meds are still free? We are sailing on Liberty in January.

I travel with my own Dramamine and never need it, but I just got off the Breeze November 3 and there was two trial packets of Bonine in my bathroom. I'm not sure if everyone gets them in their room.

They are free on Royal Caribbean, Carnival charges a few bucks.
You pre-paid for them in the cost of your Royal Caribbean cruise. :)

That's why you get a "nicer" cruise on RCI ;)

Old adage: you get what you pay for!

Many Carnival cruisers are yet to come to grips with that ugly economic reality.

Edited by Aplmac

I would never want to risk not bringing my own Dramamine or Benadryl....Basically one in the same, as it has the same active ingredient (Dimenhydrinate). Always take 30 minutes Prior to sailing if you are prone to motion sickness, as one of the other posters mentioned. If you wait until you feel ill, it's too late.

Thanks for all the ideas. The last time we cruised I took the patch, ginger and dramamine all with me but a crew member told me to just use the free stuff in the infirmary so I used it and it worked great. Not sure what it was tho thats why I wanted to know if it was still free. I'll check with my pharmacist.

I was on a cruise that went thru a rough storm, my GF got sick, so I went down to customer service and there was a long line, went I got up there I asked where I should go for sea sick meds, and they was just handing them out. So I guess it depends on the weather.