Typhoon Haiyan Relief Fund

OceanDreaming2

Here is the latest message from Norwegian regarding the typhoon relief fund:

Everyone at Norwegian Cruise Line is truly saddened to hear of the significant devastation in the Philippines caused by Typhoon Haiyan. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of our crew members from the Philippines who have been impacted.

We have been in constant contact with our partners in Manila, who are actively reaching out to contact crew members and their families located around Manila and outlying provinces. Crew members on board are being supported to help make contact with their families and we are making arrangements for those who need to return home to do so.

If you wish to contribute to Norwegian’s Support Fund for our Filipino crew members, we welcome your contributions, no matter how big or small. We are currently collecting funds throughout the company and throughout our fleet. Guests currently onboard our ships can make donations through the Guest Services Desk. Past guests who wish to contribute can send a check (payable to Norwegian Cruise Line) to:

Norwegian Cruise Line

Attention: Typhoon Haiyan Relief Fund

7665 Corporate Center Drive

Miami, FL 33126

Our guests have expressed great concern for our crew members and we can’t thank you enough for standing by us as we support our crew and their families.

~~~~

You may also follow this thread on the official NCL FB page.

Since I don't have Facebook I wouldn't have seen this notice on NCL FB page so thank you very much for sharing this information. I will be mailing a check.

Besides having sailed with NCL in the past and getting to know many of the wonderful Filipino crew members, we disembarked the Star just two weeks ago and again had great service from those wonderful crew members.

My heart and prayers are with all the victims of the typhoon and their families.

Edited by NMLady

The devastation in the Philippines is severe. As we all know, many cruise workers come from the Philippines and send money home. I can only imagine how tough it must be to be away and worry about your family.

So stop for a second and dont complain about silly stuff like the ice bucket was not re-filled without asking or something.

It puts things in perspective, doesn't it.

Pray for all the cruise ship worker's families in the Philippines.

Edited by david_sobe

The devastation in the Philippines is severe. As we all know, many cruise workers come from the Philippines and send money home. I can only imagine how tough it must be to be away and worry about your family.

So stop for a second and dont complain about silly stuff like the ice bucket was not re-filled without asking or something.

Well said, and AMEN! They and along with everyone in the Philippines are in my prayers.

you are so right. I thought about this earlier today when I started thinking about our upcoming cruise. So many of the wonderful crew on NCL are from the Philippines. Let's hope their families ae safe and God is looking out after them.

Everyone at Norwegian Cruise Line is truly saddened to hear of the significant devastation in the Philippines caused by Typhoon Haiyan. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of our crew members from the Philippines who have been impacted.

We have been in constant contact with our partners in Manila, who are actively reaching out to contact crew members and their families located around Manila and outlying provinces. Crew members on board are being supported to help make contact with their families and we are making arrangements for those who need to return home to do so.

If you wish to contribute to Norwegian’s Support Fund for our Filipino crew members, we welcome your contributions, no matter how big or small. We are currently collecting funds throughout the company and throughout our fleet. Guests currently onboard our ships can make donations through the Guest Services Desk. Past guests who wish to contribute can send a check (payable to Norwegian Cruise Line) to:

Norwegian Cruise Line

Miami, FL 33126

Our guests have expressed great concern for our crew members and we can’t thank you enough for standing by us as we support our crew and their families.

~~~~

Thanks for sharing the information.

Norwegian Cruise Line

Miami, FL 33126

~~~~

Thanks so much for posting this ;)

Although I'm sure NCL means well, I don't care for the way this is being handled.

A check made out to "NCL" as opposed to a separate qualified 501 © (3) charitable fund that NCL could easily establish (which could be given a name such as NCL Philippines Typhoon Relief Fund, or something similar) means contributions will be deposited in NCL's general account, and any money you donate will not be deductible on your federal income tax return. I'm going to give NCL the benefit of the doubt and assume they'll pass 100% of the contributions along for reflief purposes in the Philippines , but someone less trusting might want to be assured that there's an actual audit of the distribution of the monies.

There was a big to-do a few years ago when it was revealed that donations people were making to the American Red Cross after some disaster ( I can't recall off hand what the exact event was... it could have been the 9/11 terrorist attacks or Hurricane Katrina) were not being funneled directly to relief efforts for victims that disaster, but rather to their general fund, to be used as seen fit by the Red Cross.

Edited by njhorseman

Kudos to NCL for setting up a relief fund effort.

Norwegian Cruise Line

Miami, FL 33126

I am hoping this is OK to post here...If it's not (for some reason) I am sure the moderators will delete it.

Norwegian Cruise Line

If you wish to contribute to Norwegian’s Support Fund for our Filipino crew members, we welcome your contributions, no matter how big or small. We are currently collecting funds throughout the company and throughout our fleet. Guests currently onboard our ships can make donations through the Guest Services Desk. Past guests who wish to contribute can send... a check (payable to Norwegian Cruise Line) to:

Norwegian Cruise Line

Miami, FL 33126

Catholic Relief Services is one of the NPO under Catholic Charities - 93% of the funds donated and designated for relief reached those in needs, with the rest going toward direct and indirect (administrative) expenses.

http://emergencies.crs.org/philippines-haiyan-recovery-materials-detailed/

http://crs.org/accountability/

When making a donation, a check is preferred to cash - indicate on the "Memo" field that it is for the Philippine Typhoon Relief - so that it is to be treated as a restricted or designated gift, and not a general or unrestricted gift, and that you can claim an IRS tax deduction as permitted. A $100 or more cash contribution must be acknowledge in writing with a receipt - and all charities are subject to an independent audit in compliance with statues.

Vast majority of the Filipinos are associated with the Christian faith (more than 90%) and those networks were and will be back on the ground, giving aid and help to those in needs - stay tuned to efforts organized by local churches to pool together the contributions.

Finally, both the US and UK are dispatching naval assets in the region to head for the area to provide helping hands - especially in the forms of heavy lifts in the transition to recovery & reconstruction.

Disclaimer - not endorsing CC or CRS for making a difference as other worthwhile groups such as Salvation Army Disaster Services also equally earned high marks for getting aid to the needy instead of doing photo ops. The Red Cross in China was blasted for its disaster relief efforts and for holding back donated money intended for earthquake victims & accused of diverting funds for general purposes - Google them yourself for the details.

Thank you so much for posting this. It is great that NCL is making an effort to help.

I am hoping this is OK to post here...If it's not (for some reason) I am sure the moderators will delete it.

Norwegian Cruise Line

If you wish to contribute to Norwegian’s Support Fund for our Filipino crew members, we welcome your contributions, no matter how big or small. We are currently collecting funds throughout the company and throughout our fleet. Guests currently onboard our ships can make donations through the Guest Services Desk. Past guests who wish to contribute can send... a check (payable to Norwegian Cruise Line) to:

Norwegian Cruise Line

Miami, FL 33126

NCL Typhoon Haiyan Relief Fund

The fund will assist NCL staff, crew, and their families affected by this disaster.

Make checks payable to:

Norwegian Cruise Line

Miami, FL 33126

Only cash, checks or money orders at this time.

For further information contact NCL

Phone: 1 305 436-4000 OR 1 305 436-4713

Email: PublicRelations@ncl.com

Thank you for posting this - we will be back on the Epic in December and I was thinking about the wonderful crew members from the Philippines - they truly are an asset to NCL. I will be mailing my check today.

A word of caution: There are many fine charities working to get relief to the Philippines. I have also contributed to the World Food Program and one of my ongoing favorites for the work they do throughout the world, Doctors without Borders. There is a great need for medical relief. If you give to a charitable organization, make sure that they are a reputable charity and that almost all of the proceeds go to the relief.

We are all so fortunate in this country - I cruise several times a year, I can give back to those who make that wonderful experience possible.

Norwegians Typhoon Haiyan Relief Fund

November 12, 2013 at 9:39am

Typhoon Haiyan Support Fund

All of us at Norwegian Cruise Line are truly saddened to hear of the significant devastation in the Philippines caused by Typhoon Haiyan. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of our crew members from the Philippines who have been impacted.

If you wish to contribute to Norwegian’s Relief Fund for our Filipino crew members, we welcome your contributions in the form of check or cash, no matter how big or small. Please make checks payable to Norwegian Cruise Line.

Crew Members and Guests on board can make donations with the Financial Team in the form of cash or a charge to your on board account.

All other guests, travel agents or vendor partners who'd like to make a donation, should make checks payable to Norwegian Cruise Line and send to their nearest Norwegian Cruise Line office:

UNITED STATES

Norwegian Cruise Line

7665 Corporate Center Drive Miami, FL 33126

UNITED KINGDOM

Norwegian Cruise Line – UK

Attention:Typhoon Haiyan Relief Fund

Horatio House, 77-85 Fulham Palace Road Hammersmith, London W68JA

CONTINENTAL EUROPE

Norwegian Cruise Line – CE

Kreuzberger Ring 68 Wiesbaden, Hessen, Germany 65205

Our team members have expressed great concern for our crew and we can’t thank you enough for standing by the crew members and their families that have been affected by this disaster.

Although I'm sure NCL means well, I don't care for the way this is being handled.

A check made out to "NCL" as opposed to a separate qualified 501 © (3) charitable fund that NCL could easily establish (which could be given a name such as NCL Philippines Typhoon Relief Fund, or something similar) means contributions will be deposited in NCL's general account, and any money you donate will not be deductible on your federal income tax return. I'm going to give NCL the benefit of the doubt and assume they'll pass 100% of the contributions along for reflief purposes in the Philippines , but someone less trusting might want to be assured that there's an actual audit of the distribution of the monies.

There was a big to-do a few years ago when it was revealed that donations people were making to the American Red Cross after some disaster ( I can't recall off hand what the exact event was... it could have been the 9/11 terrorist attacks or Hurricane Katrina) were not being funneled directly to relief efforts for victims that disaster, but rather to their general fund, to be used as seen fit by the Red Cross.

From the way it's worded, it seems this is more about help for crew and their families, not the general population.

The important thing is that a donation is made to an organization you trust. NCL is taking immediate action to help their crew and affected families.

Here is why we donated to the NCL Relief Fund:

1) The crew: they work so hard and have made our vacation time memorable

2) NCL: we trust NCL to handle all donations with great care

3) a disaster calls for many different kinds of relief (food, clothing, shelter, counseling etc)

4) Imagine the stress, worry, fear, helplessness and sadness the crew must feel. They are far from home, expected to work as hard as ever, trying to plan trips back home if possible, wanting to help their family/friends/neighbors...

Over the last few years, many large corporations have created employee assistance funds to help in a crisis (BIG or small). These resources are contributed by both the company and fellow employees.

Take into account all of the above...and remember that through it all, they are expected to focus on making their guests happy (not an easy task given some comments found around here and other sites).

Consider if and how you can help.

From the way it's worded, it seems this is more about help for crew and their families, not the general population.

Yes, and everyone assumed that when the Red Cross reached out for donations after disasters such as the 9/11 terrorist attacks and Hurricane Katrina the money was to be earmarked for those purposes when in fact it wasn't.

Again, I'm not questioning NCL's motives or intent, I'm just pointing out that there is a very real history of contributed monies not getting to the people for whom the contributors assumed it was intended.

You know what they say about the word "assume".

That's exactly correct. A very large percentage of NCL crew are recruited directly from the Philipines. This NCL Fund is intended to provide assistance to NCL crew, families, and loved ones.