Texting..checking if charges are correct

DB2VA

I called Verizon and the rep said that I could text for 50 cents to send and 5 cents to receive while on my cruise in the Caribbean. She said I can leave my phone on with no roaming charges unless I made a call. Does anyone have experience with this?

I called Verizon and the rep said that I could text for 50 cents to send and 5 cents to receive while on my cruise in the Caribbean. She said I can leave my phone on with no roaming charges unless I made a call. Does anyone have experience with this?

Hope you have that in writing. Not a Verizon rep, but I am always leary about leaving a phone on while cruising.

I have Verizon and my sister worked in customer care also. I usually use the wifi in port to communicate with my phone. You definitely get charged for roaming on the ship. The price to receive and send text sounds familiar to what I was told in the past though. I would turn off data and use airplane mode if you don't want to be charged for roaming.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I have Verizon and my sister worked in customer care also. I usually use the wifi in port to communicate with my phone. You definitely get charged for roaming on the ship. The price to receive and send text sounds familiar to what I was told in the past though. I would turn off data and use airplane mode if you don't want to be charged for roaming.

Thanks, I was tiptoeing out on a limb and did not want to give bad info.:)

You will get charged for data roaming charges if you have a smart phone unless you turn off data roaming / turn of data completely. You should not get charged roaming for your phone unless you make/receive a phone call or text message. Then the text rates apply and roaming rates apply for the call. You can check with your provider about moving to a week long international plan to help with some of the costs you will incur if you need / want to use your phone.

Check out http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/Roaming/index.html

Turn data roaming off and get a google voice # and unconditionally forward your calls to that # that way you will not get any inbound calls. set up voice mail on google voice and check it in port when you have free wifi. Even if you leave your phone on and you get a call and don't answer and it goes to voice mail you still will get charged ships cell rate for inbound call. I do this every cruise and never have a problem. Also sign up for the Vonage mobile app on your smart phone and when you are in port on a wifi connection you can call home for next to nothing.

You will get charged for data roaming charges if you have a smart phone unless you turn off data roaming / turn of data completely. You should not get charged roaming for your phone unless you make/receive a phone call or text message. Then the text rates apply and roaming rates apply for the call. You can check with your provider about moving to a week long international plan to help with some of the costs you will incur if you need / want to use your phone.

Check out http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/Roaming/index.html

FYI, International plan does not help at all on the ship.

You do have to be very careful and know what you are doing. Making a mistake can cost you dearly. Verizon does charge you for incoming messages, ATT does not if you have a txt plan. Make sure your data is turned off and as GROUCHPUSS said - make sure you forward you phone BEFORE you get on the boat - (I can not stress this last part enough)

If you dont, you run the risk of your calls being forwarded offshore and then routed back to the US to your voicemail - and you may incur roaming charges even if you dont answer or you later turn off your phone.

I have a personal blog in my Sig...it has more info about ATT, but you might find it helpful!

Good luck!

Sure, she's right. You won't get VERIZON ROAMING CHARGES because there are no Verizon towers in the ocean ... however, you will be excessively charged for roaming through the ship's satellite ....

Not telling you what to do, but keep your phone on airplane mode with the DATA turned off! When you get into ports, you can find free WiFi and only turn your WiFi on and at least have email capabilities.

You'd be surprised how quickly texting adds up on a cruise ....

Enjoy!

I just returned from the Carnival Dream a week ago and was scared of traveling with my smart phone and incurring a huge bill. I called Verizon before I left on my cruise and the only extra charges I have on my bill this month is $4 for incoming/outgoing texts! I made sure to turn off all Data roaming and kept my phone in airplane mode while on the ship and only used the phone while in port ~ it worked out great for me and hope it does for the OP also!

I just returned from the Carnival Dream a week ago and was scared of traveling with my smart phone and incurring a huge bill. I called Verizon before I left on my cruise and the only extra charges I have on my bill this month is $4 for incoming/outgoing texts! I made sure to turn off all Data roaming and kept my phone in airplane mode while on the ship and only used the phone while in port ~ it worked out great for me and hope it does for the OP also!

Your post validates my previous post! Thanks!

But it will help in ports / close to land. Same with buying an international data package.

I have never had a problem while in port finding free Wifi....especially at the big name bars or I buy a cup of coffee at the Starbucks....

Look for the band of cruise ship employees sitting outside with their laptops...that is usually a good sign ;)

I have never had a problem while in port finding free Wifi....especially at the big name bars or I buy a cup of coffee at the Starbucks....

Look for the band of cruise ship employees sitting outside with their laptops...that is usually a good sign ;)

That is a good tip for a large portion of cruisers. Personally I rather spend $20-$30 USD extra on an international data and voice plan so I have a bit of freedom and peace of mind without having to hunt down open wifi in port.

I turn off my phone when we get on board. My message says I can't get calls but leave a message. I can get voicemail & texts but don't turn my phone back on until the day we get home. Then I listen to messages/texts.

Now that is the thing to do.I will do the same. It's a shame people are so attached to their phones. Unless it is business, thats different.

I have Verizon and the text charges are correct. however I am not so insane as to leave the phone on.. with or without turning off data so cannot confirm the 'no roaming' part of the discussion.

I would assume that if you do NOT turn off data you WILL incur roaming as the phone will constantly be updating your FB app and your mail.

Why doesn't anyone actually look on the Verizon website?

from http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global/plans-and-pricing.html

Cruise Ship Rates

Voice: $2.49 a minute

Text: $.50 sent, $.05 received

Data: $20.48/MB

I have ATT...So I shut off data roaming, put on airplane mode.

If I send a text I have to shut put on just airplane mode while sending the text.

If I go to port internet cafe w/wife, I can turn phone on (leave data roaming off??) and use their wifi.

I don't get the part about forwarding calls though....I will have my only phone w/me (smartphone). How does forwarding work? I have no landline in the US if it matters and will be traveling in the Caribbean.

sorry...smartphone challenged!

Thanks

Barbara