'Hoarding' alcohol thoughts

DandDM

Let me explain myself. On an upcoming cruise on the Indy, my wife and I have a balcony stateroom and the drink package. The room isn't necessarily close to any bars. On past cruises, when the weather is nice on sea days we would buy a bottle of wine or bucket of beers to enjoy on our balcony. From what I understand, neither are available with the package.

So I'm trying to figure out how I can get the most out of the drink package and still have a small stockpile of drinks in the room.

My concern is that mixed drinks have ice that would melt; beers are served open and would go flat, and wine glasses are prone to tip over (plus white would get warm and sparkling would go flat). I guess we could hit a few bars in a row right before 'balcony time' and get a few drinks. But it would be nice to have a small reserve - and to not have to make multiple trips to and from our room. I don't know if Indy has in room refrigerators.

The best scenario for me would be to buy shots, then keep them in a container and mix in the room. But the thought of me wandering around the ship, getting shots and dumping them into my coffee mug doesn't seem very fun!

Anyone have thoughts or experience on how we might get some reserve alcohol in our room (under the parameters of the drink program)?

Let me explain myself. On an upcoming cruise on the Indy, my wife and I have a balcony stateroom and the drink package. The room isn't necessarily close to any bars. On past cruises, when the weather is nice on sea days we would buy a bottle of wine or bucket of beers to enjoy on our balcony. From what I understand, neither are available with the package.

So I'm trying to figure out how I can get the most out of the drink package and still have a small stockpile of drinks in the room.

My concern is that mixed drinks have ice that would melt; beers are served open and would go flat, and wine glasses are prone to tip over (plus white would get warm and sparkling would go flat). I guess we could hit a few bars in a row right before 'balcony time' and get a few drinks. But it would be nice to have a small reserve - and to not have to make multiple trips to and from our room. I don't know if Indy has in room refrigerators.

The best scenario for me would be to buy shots, then keep them in a container and mix in the room. But the thought of me wandering around the ship, getting shots and dumping them into my coffee mug doesn't seem very fun!

Anyone have thoughts or experience on how we might get some reserve alcohol in our room (under the parameters of the drink program)?

You can do that if you want to.

There will be a refrigerator in your cabin. It doesn't keep things cold - just cool.

You can ask that they not open your bottle of beer at the bar.

You should ask your cabin steward for twice daily ice - it's not automatic, but they are happy to supply it if you ask.

You are also allowed to bring two bottles of wine onboard with you.

That would give you enough for a couple of days on the balcony.

Bring red and some mixers to make it into sangria and you can stretch that into 4 days fairy easily.

I think the cost of some wine bought on shore would be better than the hassle of running around on the ship trying to find ways to stockpile.

Very simple procedure....all you need to do is bring a collapsible cooler and a bottle opener with you from home. Ask your cabin steward to keep the cooler stocked with ice and you keep it filled with unopened bottles of beer that you open with your opener that you packed in your luggage. You can also bring a smaller cooler or insulated bag from home to fill to take to the beach on any shore excursions and then you'll have cold beers and water to enjoy off the ship as well. ;)

I have questions similar to the OP. I have the Premium Drink package bought for my upcoming cruise. I'm a fairly early riser and enjoy a good cup of coffee, would enjoy it even more if it had a shot of Bailey's in it. :D

Any suggestions on how to make this happen??? Will I have to get a shot the night before and keep it overnight???

Since the premium package now includes a freestyle cup, you could get your alcohol straight and mixer on the side in the freestyle cup and ice from your cabin steward. Beer ask for them not to open it, and white wine you could pour into empty freestyle cup to keep cold? just some thoughts...anybody know if you can order room service drinks with the package?

I have questions similar to the OP. I have the Premium Drink package bought for my upcoming cruise. I'm a fairly early riser and enjoy a good cup of coffee, would enjoy it even more if it had a shot of Bailey's in it. :D

Any suggestions on how to make this happen??? Will I have to get a shot the night before and keep it overnight???

Good question, along the same lines, I was wondering about bellinis or mimosas in the morning

I haven't had the drinks package on RCL yet buy on Celebrity the bartenders insisted on opening all the beer at the bar. Got around that by ordering Grolsch beer which has a resealable bottle. That kept well on ice for our balcony use.

BTW Excellent heading for this thread!

Edited by DirtyDawg

Since the premium package now includes a freestyle cup, you could get your alcohol straight and mixer on the side in the freestyle cup and ice from your cabin steward. Beer ask for them not to open it, and white wine you could pour into empty freestyle cup to keep cold? just some thoughts...anybody know if you can order room service drinks with the package?

No. Room service is excluded from the package.

I haven't had the drinks package on RCL yet buy on Celebrity the bartenders insisted on opening all the beer at the bar. Got around that by ordering Grolsch beer which has a resealable bottle. That kept well on ice for our balcony use.

BTW Excellent heading for this thread!

That is very clever -- well done! :D

Grolsch_beugel_e.jpg

I've had decent success on land requesting wine (and esp. martinis) in a rocks glass or stemless glass versus a traditional stemmed glass. Crack a joke about not wanting to tip and break your wine glass and most places are very happy to swap out for the more stable glass. Worth a try onboard <shrug>

Edited by jb008

On Oasis Coors Lite and Miller Lite came in the 16oz aluminum bottles that have a screw cap on them. Yes, they open them up but, at least all the ones I noticed, left the lids on them. Obviously they wouldn't last a real long time once opened but if you like those brands it would at least be an option. You can drink other brands when out of the room. And, you really only need two or three each and can then make the trek back to the bars for two or three more. I know we go to the room a few times per day so would just make sure we had a full one each time we went up to add to the stockpile.

I also agree with the collapsable cooler/ice idea because it is easy enough to pack in your luggage without taking up a lot of room and a good one will do the trick of keeping the beer cold for you. We usually just tip the stateroom attendant a little extra the first couple of days and ask they keep the cooler full of ice. Never had a problem getting good service that way.

Reading this thread reminds me of how nice it used to be in the good old days when you could pay a small premium in the gift shop and have a bottle in the room. Or the way you can be treated like a responsible adult on some other lines where you can pre buy a bottle or more of whatever you like to drink along with some basic fixers (tonic, coke, etc.).

I could never justify the drink packages, because outside of a cocktail before dinner, wine with dinner and maybe a nightcap after dinner I don't drink much on a cruise. Drinking and flowrider don't mix all that well...:D Plus the DW doesn't drink enough to hold up her end of the bargain.

jc

Reading this thread reminds me of how nice it used to be in the good old days when you could pay a small premium in the gift shop and have a bottle in the room. Or the way you can be treated like a responsible adult on some other lines where you can pre buy a bottle or more of whatever you like to drink along with some basic fixers (tonic, coke, etc.).

I could never justify the drink packages, because outside of a cocktail before dinner, wine with dinner and maybe a nightcap after dinner I don't drink much on a cruise. Drinking and flowrider don't mix all that well...:D Plus the DW doesn't drink enough to hold up her end of the bargain.

jc

I agree with you. Our last two cruises have been on Carnival and NCL who both let you order a bottle for your room. I really enjoy a couple of drinks on the balcony before dinner and then one before turning in. I guess I will keep hoping they change the policy before our Freedom cruise in May.

This is great info everyone, thanks. I never thought of requesting beer with the cap still on - I'll see how that goes. Reading another thread about the changes to the drink packages I started to think about using Vintages to buy multiple glasses of wine from the machines to fill up a container, but I recall reading that the package could only be used once every five minutes.

Anyone have knowledge of that time limit? If I went on a drink buying spree, would I have to wait five minutes between ordering a drink, or could I get around that by visiting different bars? Or perhaps I could camp out a bar for a while, getting a drink every five minutes, until I had my stockpile. That might depend on my rapport with the bartender, perhaps (or the size of my tip. . .)

Thanks again for all the info - very helpful!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I agree with you. Our last two cruises have been on Carnival and NCL who both let you order a bottle for your room. I really enjoy a couple of drinks on the balcony before dinner and then one before turning in. I guess I will keep hoping they change the policy before our Freedom cruise in May.

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I think you should not expect this to happen. You need to find your own way to deal with the restrictions. If you buy the drink package, try to get a room close to an elevator close to a bar.:D

jc

Good to see you too, Eric.

I imagine that these packages are very profitable for RCI. We did a customer cruise 7 years ago, as we had around 600 people on the Splendour. We boarded around noon, I remember drinking with one couple at the pool bar around 1pm. Came back around the husband was still drinking and the wife doing some line dance thing. Before heading to supper the husband was still at the pool bar. Looking a little worn, the wife was no where to be seen. The next day, I saw the wife sitting in a pool chair. I ask where is Earl at today, I haven't seen him around the deck. She said he is still in bed because he over-indulged. I doubt he had a six pack the rest of the 5 day cruise.:eek:

jc

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I think you should not expect this to happen. You need to find your own way to deal with the restrictions. If you buy the drink package, try to get a room close to an elevator close to a bar.:D

jc

Yea I am not holding my breath but the drink package is out of the question. Don't drink near enough to make it worth it. I have thought about buying a few shots and then just mixing them in my room when I was ready for them.

Good question, along the same lines, I was wondering about bellinis or mimosas in the morning

When I've had breakfast in the MDR, there's usually an option for a mimosa or bloddy mary on the menu...I've had a mimosa there. Dunno how it might work in the WJ (and, this, btw, is one of the very few ways that Carnival has it all over RCCL...they have a mimosa cart meandering around their buffet in the mornings).

When I've had breakfast in the MDR, there's usually an option for a mimosa or bloddy mary on the menu...I've had a mimosa there. Dunno how it might work in the WJ (and, this, btw, is one of the very few ways that Carnival has it all over RCCL...they have a mimosa cart meandering around their buffet in the mornings).

A mimosa cart :eek: i might be in trouble if they had that

Since you have a drink package - everytime you are heading back to your cabin ask for a 'shot' no ice no mixer get a big enough glass to hold a few shots, create your own stash in a glass or two. Bring some plastic cling wrap to cover your glasses. For your in room drinks you can get a large glass with or without ice of your favorite mixers. One glass of mixer should be good for more than one drink.