a snorkelers review of St. Thomas

slabeaume

Just got back from 9 nights on St. Thomas. A lot of people ask about snorkeling on St. Thomas, so I'm linking to my blog with lots of pictures, above and below water. Maybe it'll give some of you a little better idea of what to expect.

http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2013/11/2013-st-thomas-9-day-vacation-to-island.html

Just got back from 9 nights on St. Thomas. A lot of people ask about snorkeling on St. Thomas, so I'm linking to my blog with lots of pictures, above and below water. Maybe it'll give some of you a little better idea of what to expect.

http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2013/11/2013-st-thomas-9-day-vacation-to-island.html

Loved the pictures!! We will be in port for just one day on the Royal Princess in a few weeks, with 5 other ships:eek: We really want to snorkel and will take a taxi from the port. Which beach would you suggest we go to -- would prefer one that is known for having calmer waters, and not terribly far from port as we are worried about traffic getting back. Thanks for your help.

The closest one to the port would be Bluebeard's Beach. We found that sometimes the water was calmer there then elsewhere, other times it was rougher. I guess it depends on which way the surf is coming in. Bluebeard's, Secret Harbor, and Elysian seemed to get the same surf; if it's rough there, it was calmer at Sapphire and Smith's---and vice versa. Of those 4, we found the snorkeling at Smith's the least interesting (unless you go past the buoys). But all are beautiful beaches. Sapphire's reef is a fair distance out, so if you aren't comfortable swimming in the ocean, that could be a problem. We liked hugging the coastlines at Cowpet (the Elysian), Secret Harbor and Bluebeard's and kept going until we were ready to turn around. If barracuda freak you out, you may want to skip the Elysian. There are a couple resident ones there, but they don't bother you.

Edited by slabeaume

WOW -That's a very detailed report - Thanks for sharing! So much detail and so many pics I didn't make it all the way through your report but will look at it again.

Gracebest, the nicer STT beaches (for both beaching and snorkeling) are on the East End of the island and are 20 - 30 minutes by taxi each way. No worries about return taxis from Coki, Sapphire, and Secret Harbor but others may require a call or having the driver return.

On a 5-ship day we like Sapphire for the amenities and abundant shade yet relative quiet, and Sapphire is regarded as one of the best off-the-beach snorkeling beaches on STT or STJ. Many people like the fact that you can snorkel the reef close to shore at Sapphire if you aren't confortable going out too far, and there is also a sea gras area where rays and turtles are otten spotted. Sapphire is generally very calm when we stay at the Sapphire Resort but it can be affected by sea swells of course as can all beaches. The weather that day has alot to do with the snorkel conditions and your experience, and on a rougher day SH may be a good choice because it is a more protected bay with dead calm water (but no shade for day visitors).

Have fun, and thanks again Slabeaume for the report!

Edited by blue_water

This was the most awesome review of St Thomas ever. I loved it!

Just a note, the things you keep asking if they are sea anemone, those are sea worms, better known as "feather dusters". I use to have them in my salt water tank and they multiply like crazy. When we were at Bannister Island in Belize last December, I actually ran across one that was the biggest I have ever seen (and I didn't know they even got that big). It was maybe a good 2 feet tall and the stem of it was HUGE. It was actually growing up threw a pipe in the water. (Looks are deceiving on this picture since I was up at the top of the water)

PC180228-M.jpg

But they are some neat creatures. If you get close enough, it scares them and they will retract in to their base until they feel like the intruder is gone. Then they will slowly come back out. :)

slabeaume, I noticed you spent a little time on Emerald Beach (Lindbergh Bay). We will be docked near there. For two non-snorkelers, do you think it is a beautiful beach to spend our day in St Thomas? Or should we spend the extra taxi money and head elsewhere? Thanks.

Mitsugirly---thanks for the identification. I was actually thinking they might be worms after thinking about how they sort of remind me of the Christmas tree worms.

canadarocks---I think Lindbergh beach would be a great place to hang out and stay close to the ship if you're not interested in snorkeling. It has lots of shade, a beach bar, chairs to rent. We went there on our first cruise just because the weather was pretty bad and ended up thoroughly enjoying ourselves. Actually, I see from my plane picture that there are rocks around the far left edge of the bay and wonder if there might be good snorkeling there?!

canadarocks---I think Lindbergh beach would be a great place to hang out and stay close to the ship if you're not interested in snorkeling. It has lots of shade, a beach bar, chairs to rent. We went there on our first cruise just because the weather was pretty bad and ended up thoroughly enjoying ourselves. Actually, I see from my plane picture that there are rocks around the far left edge of the bay and wonder if there might be good snorkeling there?!

Thanks so much! :)

Thanks so much for all those pictures of beautiful fish. And that octopus. Bwahaha, he was funny.

We're going to St. Thomas for the first time in January. Well to be honest, it will be my first time in the Caribbean, or anywhere tropical, period. Everyone is recommending Magens Bay, but now I really want to do some good snorkeling and see those fish.

But if this is our first time there, what do you think? Magens Bay? Is the beauty worth the not much snorkeling?

I'm sure you would enjoy whatever beach you went to. But if you want a beautiful beach and more colorful fish when snorkeling, I'd suggest going to one of the other beaches. If you don't mind crowds, Coki has a lot of fish right at the beach. If you want more serenity, Megan's is beautiful and the largest bay but a different kind of snorkeling. Sapphire is definitely a favorite with many, but it can be somewhat rough---more open to the sea. I didn't get to give Secret Cove a proper review since it was rough the one day we went there. The taxi drivers might look at you funny if you say you want to go to the Elysian, but we love it there. Closer to town is Bluebeard's---another beautiful bay with good snorkeling. I don't think you can go wrong with any beach, at least not if it's sunny and the surf is down on that side of the island.

I'm sure you would enjoy whatever beach you went to. But if you want a beautiful beach and more colorful fish when snorkeling, I'd suggest going to one of the other beaches. If you don't mind crowds, Coki has a lot of fish right at the beach. If you want more serenity, Megan's is beautiful and the largest bay but a different kind of snorkeling. Sapphire is definitely a favorite with many, but it can be somewhat rough---more open to the sea. I didn't get to give Secret Cove a proper review since it was rough the one day we went there. The taxi drivers might look at you funny if you say you want to go to the Elysian, but we love it there. Closer to town is Bluebeard's---another beautiful bay with good snorkeling. I don't think you can go wrong with any beach, at least not if it's sunny and the surf is down on that side of the island.

Sounds great. Is the best way to get to any of them by taxi? I guess we'll decide day of where we want to go. I'm usually a plan everything kind of person, but I'm trying to train myself to not do that and enjoy the freedom. Won't even look up pictures. At least not as many.

We're going to St. Thomas for the first time in January. Well to be honest, it will be my first time in the Caribbean, or anywhere tropical, period. Everyone is recommending Magens Bay, but now I really want to do some good snorkeling and see those fish.

But if this is our first time there, what do you think? Magens Bay? Is the beauty worth the not much snorkeling?

Magens Bay (and Trunk Bay on STJ) get crowded because they are so highly touted. But most folks who recommend Magens haven't been to the East End beaches like Smith's Bay and Sapphire.

Having said that, the right beach for you just depends on what you are looking for. I don't think that "serenity" is a good descriptive for Magens, but that is perfect for Sapphire and Smith's. So just do some research. For a gorgeous beach with beautiful island views (and great snorkeling) Sapphire is our choice, for a livelier experience Coki is also gorgeous.

Blue and I have a standing argument about this so...

1. Magens is not known as a snorkeling destination. If that is your main concern, you should pick another beach.

2. Magens is part of a territorial park system. That means there is no hotel, no housing, etc. on the shore. There is a bar/restaurant and shop as well as public restrooms including showers. There are picnic benches and pavilions that groups can rent for parties. There are non-motorized water toys and chairs for rent.

3. It is absolutely false that people who haven't been to the east end are the only ones recommending Magens. Each beach has some good and bad points.

4. I am glad that Blue keeps touting Sapphire, because it keeps people from some of my favorite beaches!

5. If you have never been to the Caribbean there are many wonderful beaches to try.

Blue and I have a standing argument about this so...

1. Magens is not known as a snorkeling destination. If that is your main concern, you should pick another beach.

2. Magens is part of a territorial park system. That means there is no hotel, no housing, etc. on the shore. There is a bar/restaurant and shop as well as public restrooms including showers. There are picnic benches and pavilions that groups can rent for parties. There are non-motorized water toys and chairs for rent.

3. It is absolutely false that people who haven't been to the east end are the only ones recommending Magens. Each beach has some good and bad points.

4. I am glad that Blue keeps touting Sapphire, because it keeps people from some of my favorite beaches!

5. If you have never been to the Caribbean there are many wonderful beaches to try.

3. Actually many who post here and on TA that have visited both Magens and the East End beaches of STT much prefer the latter. Not all but many, just a matter of opinion.

Thank you so much for the gorgeous review. Sorry the weather wasn't the best, but I love how it didn't ruin your vacation. You are clearly a lemons into lemonade kind of woman!!

Do you know if the Elysian allows "day" stayers? We are there for 1 day along with about 23,000 other people. We have never been to St Thomas and really looking for a place to tan, snorkel (bringing own gear) and if there is a cocktail around...bonus.

The good thing is our ship is the first to arrive. So if we can get up and out...we can beat the "masses" to a spot in the sand. I have thought hard about going to St John, but think it is silly since I have never even been to St T.

Loved your pics and I am so happy you were able to replace your camera so easily.

Laura

I guess I should expand a bit on my "serenity" description of Megan's. We drove, so we were directed to the parking lot at the opposite end of the beach that the busses go to. Therefore there was hardly anyone there. But Megan's is so big that I would think it would be easy to find your own little piece of paradise there.

As for Elysian and "day" stayers----we went there for the day on 2 of our cruises, but rented a car and drove ourselves. There is a parking lot near the beach and restaurants there. But I'm sure taxi drivers know where it is and could probably drop you off on their way to taking people to Sapphire or Secret Harbor---they are pretty close to each other. I'm actually surprised more people don't go to the Elysian for the day---great casual restaurant, restrooms, fancy restaurant if you're dressed for it, water toys for rent, lots and lots of shade and chairs, and great snorkeling. I imagine you should rent a chair, but when we were staying there they never came and asked for proof that we were staying there. You do need a key to get into the pool area, though. Plus, no venders have ever come up to us there.

Thanks for the great review and fantastic pics. Almost makes me want to do a land vacation there instead of a cruise:confused:.

Too bad some people have had to start bickering on this thread as to what the best beach is. Really people! They are all beautiful, it is more a question of which one will best suit your needs.