Adriatic cruise

jjwoben1

Am planning 2014 cruise. Cruise begins in Venice and ends in Rome. Anyone who has done this cruise could tell me if you flew from Rome to US to go home? Or did you go back to Venice to go back to US? Did Celebrity arrange air? Did your TA arrange for it?

6 of us did this cruise in Sept. We flew Alitalia Chicago day before overnight to Rome n/s then to Venice getting there around noon the day of check-in. We stayed in Rome 3 nts. after cruise and flew back to Chicago n/s from there. I booked air,hotel,and transfers directly online. Checked with ChoiceAir first and they had me going 2 different airlines there and 2 back for more money than Alitalia. The city you originate from would probably have an effect on your choice of air. Hope this helps.:):):)

We did this cruise and by the way, it was great! We actually flew into Zurich! spent 3 nights at Lake Como, then trained over to Venice to board (we had been to Venice before, if you have not, I'd certainly advise arriving a few days early. Even with the overnight, that would not be enough time to enjoy the city IMO). You could also fly into Milan and train over.

The time I used Choice Air (not on this trip tho) I was pleased with how it worked out. But if you book yourselves, an "open jaw" ticket, into one city and out another, should not cost much more than round trip.

One more piece of advice - with so many cruises starting or ending at the port of Rome these days, there is a HUGE demand for flights on the days the big ships dock so I'd advise you not to wait too long to book your flights.

You can book air yourself or use choice air. I took that cruise last fall. I flew into Venice and flew our of Rome. I booked myself. I arranged transfers which I shared with people that I connected with on the roll call. I got nonstop flights on USairways. It was easy.

How many formal nights?

There were suppose to be 3 for a longer cruise, but I believed that Celebrity changed it before we sailed and there were only 2, which suited me fine! I really cannot remember...Tom, do you?

Edited by Iamthesea

Rome is a great city, with lots to see and do. As the cruise ends in Rome, if possible, you should stay a few days and experience the city. You can then schedule your return home on a day that is not as busy with people heading home after their cruise.

We did the 11 night Venice to Rome on Silhouette last month and had direct flights out of Atlanta both ways. 11 hour flight home from Rome. One of the best cruises we have ever been on and we've been on over 25. We booked our own air, but choice air has very good prices to and back from Europe. We are going on the Norwegian fjords cruise in May and saved about $200.00pp through choice air.

You will love this cruise. There were 2 formal nights on the 11 night.

Ellen:)

We did the 13 night Venice to Rome cruise in June and there were 3 Formal nights

We did the 11 night Venice to Rome on Silhouette last month and had direct flights out of Atlanta both ways. 11 hour flight home from Rome. One of the best cruises we have ever been on and we've been on over 25. We booked our own air, but choice air has very good prices to and back from Europe. We are going on the Norwegian fjords cruise in May and saved about $200.00pp through choice air.

You will love this cruise. There were 2 formal nights on the 11 night.

Ellen:)

Ours was 11 nights, as well. We cruised in May. :)

Although someone has said that venice airport is small, the delivery of bags is much quicker than rome and you are faster through passport control too and from plane to terminal building is super quick compared to the distance you have to do at rome

Also venice airport to ship by coach is 20 minutes maximum but rome is over an hour

Both airports do direct usa flights but depends on where you are flying to and from in the USA

We did the same route last year and decided to fly into Rome a few days early then took the train to Venice to catch the ship.

We've previously flown into Venice and the only issue we had was not being able to find direct flights. The Venice airport is nice and small and very easy to get to the ship from.

As far as booking your flights, before seeing if Choice Air or your TA are best, take a look at various flight options/prices using the ITA Software site.

http://www.itasoftware.com/

There were suppose to be 3 for a longer cruise, but I believed that Celebrity changed it before we sailed and there were only 2, which suited me fine! I really cannot remember...Tom, do you?

I don't think so, the 11 nighter had 3 formal nights. Many people were posting that the captain on many X cruises had reduced the # of formal nights to 2, but that didn't happen.

It is a very good cruise with only one sea day. Perhaps that is why some captains reduced the number of formal nights to 2. The Silhouette is a very nice ship.:)

Am planning 2014 cruise. Cruise begins in Venice and ends in Rome. Anyone who has done this cruise could tell me if you flew from Rome to US to go home? Or did you go back to Venice to go back to US? Did Celebrity arrange air? Did your TA arrange for it?

We went on Azarama and used Choice Air. We flew to Rome SEA/ATL/FCO and from Venice VCE/ATL/SEA. I did the research for what airline and flights I wanted then booked with Choice Air. Richard

I don't think so, the 11 nighter had 3 formal nights. Many people were posting that the captain on many X cruises had reduced the # of formal nights to 2, but that didn't happen.

:)

I know what it was. We took 2 semi-formal outfits and the rest CC Casual (Smart Casual). On the 2nd formal night, we went to Qsine and wore CC Casual instead of getting dressed up for a 3rd formal night. ;)