Bon Voyage Pacific Dawn Papua New Guinea Cruise!

_ Yes -- the webcam pic seems to be very clear. The day seems very bright and calm. Hope we hear from somebody onboard soon. I have been wondering of P&O have gotten any feedback after the inaugural cruise.

Barry

Seems that they are leaving Alotau quite late - around 6.30PM now and still alongside.

Actually the berthing at Alotau is quite interesting -- there are no tugs and the Pac Dawn has very limited maneuvering abilities (only bow thrusters). It is quite an effort for the Captain to get her alongside and off again under his own devices.

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

Seems that they are leaving Alotau quite late - around 6.30PM now and still alongside.

Actually the berthing at Alotau is quite interesting -- there are no tugs and the Pac Dawn has very limited maneuvering abilities (only bow thrusters). It is quite an effort for the Captain to get her alongside and off again under his own devices.

Barry

yes the pacific Dawn has two bow thrusters plus the main AC engines have two AZIPODS that can trun 360 degrees and the podded design typically achieved 9% to 18% better fuel efficiency the a shaft and prop.

Also saving money on less maintance by not needing stern thrusters and very easy to dock at any port with out tugs, in all Australian ports it a must to have tugs with every ship as a back up if the engine fail's the same as all ships must run only deisel ( at about $800.00 per ton) while in port and apon leaveing port they can change over to the cheaper bunker oil ( $80.00 per ton )

Edited by thied

yes the pacific Dawn has two bow thrusters plus the main AC engines have two AZIPODS that can trun 360 degrees and the podded design typically achieved 9% to 18% better fuel efficiency the a shaft and prop.

Hmm - are you sure about that??

My understanding (which may be wrong) is that PD has two fixed propellors and a single rudder - hence my statement about her limited maneuverability. I doubt sincerely that she has azipods - because, if she did , she would be able to do full 360 degree turns unassisted by tugs. Do you have any links to info about her Azipods (if she has them) ? We have witnessed on Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria what ships with azipods can do :) -- amazing!!

EDIT - this website specifically says that she has fixed props. http://www.nedcruise.info/pacific__dawn.htm

Edited by bazzaw

My understanding (which may be wrong) is that PD has two fixed propellors and a single rudder

Yes Bazz you are correct, a basic propulsion system,that's why she ran aground in Cairns 2001 as Regal Princess.

I doubt Azipods were available when she was built.

My understanding (which may be wrong) is that PD has two fixed propellors and a single rudder - hence my statement about her limited maneuverability. I doubt sincerely that she has azipods - because, if she did , she would be able to do full 360 degree turns unassisted by tugs. Do you have any links to info about her Azipods (if she has them) ? We have witnessed on Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria what ships with azipods can do :) -- amazing!!

EDIT - this website specifically says that she has fixed props. http://www.nedcruise.info/pacific__dawn.htm

yes you correct my bad read the wrong ship, but in yatchet post it states she has two stern thrusters on page 31, which is how she can get in and out of ports with out tugs

and also azi podes have been in use from the 80s in mainly tugs and cruise ships.

Regal Princess

IMO Number 8521232

Flag British

Classification Society RINA

Ship Type Passenger

Builder Fincantieri, Italy

Year Built 1991

Owner Princess Cruises Inc

Ship Managers Princess Cruise Lines

Gross Tonnage 70 285

Net Tonnage 35 113

Displacement (8.1m draft) 36 575 tonnes

Length overall 245.06 m

Breadth moulded 32.25 m

Distance bridge/bow 45.89 m

Distance bridge/stern 199.17 m

Engine 4 x MAN - B&W 8L 58/64 medium speed

Power 37 640 kW

Propulsion 2 x 12 000 kW electric motors

Thrusters 2 x bow thrusters, 1 780 kW total

2 x stern thrusters, 2 575 kW total

Propellers 2 x fixed pitch, 6 bladed

Rudder 1 semi-balanced on the centreline

My understanding is that Pacific Dawn and Jewel are both the same.As well as Regal hitting the channel in Cairns she also got stuck on a sandbank in the Amazon. When we were on Crown Princess(P Jewel) we missed a port in Hawaii as the Captain did not want to risk taking the ship in to Nawiliwili with a strong wind blowing.

I see from the webcam that PD is at Kiriwina Island today -- I wonder what kind of reception she got this time. Last time the reception was mind blowing!!! Cant' see much from the webcam. It's a shame we aren't hearing from anybody on this cruise.

Barry

I see from the webcam that PD is at Kiriwina Island today -- I wonder what kind of reception she got this time. Last time the reception was mind blowing!!! Cant' see much from the webcam. It's a shame we aren't hearing from anybody on this cruise.

Barry

do you think that it was mind bowing hoe there was a rope separating us from them for a very line time and that two children were bettin when crossing the rope line?

I will say that there are a lot of people saying they were on the cruise to stir and the fact is they did not go but after these two cruises it will be very hard to say wheather they did go or not as there will to much info about the cruise. one could call them arm chair cruises

Edited by thied