Upsells and cruise insurance - who knew?

tangerinebunny

After years of purchasing upsells from HAL, I finally took a minute and read their warning that purchase of upsells may impact cruise insurance.

I called insuremytrip.com and learned that since we have pre-existing condition coverage, we are required to purchase coverage for all non-refundable costs or we will lose the pre-existing waiver. This may not be true for all companies and policies, but it's worth checking on.

This would add $94 to our current insurance costs. The important issue for us is not losing the waiver.

But I'm going to repeat - company policy on this may well differ. It pays to check.

Thanks for pointing that out to those who don't know. It can be a big mistake not to upgrade your cruise insurance also when purchasing an upsell. A good TA should remind you to do this … but then again ...

I called insuremytrip.com and learned that since we have pre-existing condition coverage, we are required to purchase coverage for all non-refundable costs or we will lose the pre-existing waiver. This may not be true for all companies and policies, but it's worth checking on.

Thanks for sharing that. I have to have the pre-existing waiver since I have cancer. It's good to know that it can affect my coverage if I accept an upsell. I never would have thought of that.

We have two on-going travel policies. The cruise policy with one company would require additional payment.

The flight policy for Italy in April from another company did not require additional payment when we upgraded our seats and incurred additional cost.

So it depends on the company and probably your specific policy.

I found out about changing the insurance, thankfully from my PCC. For our March Westerdam cruise I originally booked an SZ guarantee, feeling we would be happy in any SZ/SY/SS cabin. I bought insurance and thought I was done with the "hard part" of the trip planning. A few months later I started to regret booking a guarantee and I started to remember the good time we had on the Zuiderdam in a Neptune Suite. Clearly I am not a happy camper if I'm not in control of the cabin where I will "live." At DH's urging, I called our PCC and "bought up" to an SA suite. Thankfully he reminded me this higher price cabin would probably change our trip coverage and that I should be sure to check that out.