passport

ilovelibnj14!

Assuming you are going on a Caribbean cruise, none of the countries you'll be visiting will even see your son's passport, so all that matters is that it is valid when you re-enter the United States. If you want to re-new it now (and lose 6 - 7 months of vailidity), then go ahead since you'll have enough time to do so. If you prefer to wait until after the cruise, you won't have any passport problems on your upcoming cruise.

Edited by GradUT

There is no need to renew for your cruise because it is valid until that date that is stamped in the passport. Since your cruise is in Feb you still have lots of time left on the passport. Unless you mean that it expired July 2013 -- then you still have plenty of time to get your renewal in. ;)

This is a weekly question on the main board and I always answer this question with questions. Do you know if you will be late in one of the ports and miss the boat? Wll you have an accident while ashore? Will you get seriously sick? If you don't have the answers to those questions, get a Passport. I know this is rather a blunt repy but it is to the point.

Sounds to me like the OP means it IS expired. Why not try. If it doesnt come back you can always use the BC

Probly not expired if it is a US passport. It is 8 yrs old. Although that does make for some interesting math. If it is 8 yrs old it should expire year after next...?? Y/N?

Edited by thinfool

Probly not expired if it is a US passport. It is 8 yrs old. Although that does make for some interesting math. If it is 8 yrs old it should expire year after next...?? Y/N?

Probably an 8 year old child's passport. They are only good for five years...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Yes, it would have been helpful if the OP had spelled out "exp." I took it to mean "expires" and others took it to mean "expired".

If what the OP means is "expires", then my previous answer stands.

If the OP means "expired", then I would urge him/her to renew the boy's passport now for the reasons Richfret raises.

The passport is for the OP's 8 year old child and it expired in July. At least that's how I interpreted the post.

If you only read "it exp. the end of July" then it could be read either as it expired in 7/13 or expires 7/14. However when you add the question "Should we try and get a new passport before we go?" then it becomes a little clearer that the expiration is 7/14 (still a little ambiguous though). I'm going to read it as 7/14 and say if it were me I would wait and renew it when I returned.

(But if it expired 7/13 will say what were the reasons that you had for getting the passport in the first place? Do those reasons still exist? If they do then renew the passport.)

We are leaving feb 9 for and I just looked at my 8 y/o passport and it exp. the end of July. Should we try and get a new passport before we go?

The way this is worded, it has already expired. If it were to expire in 2014, it would have been worded "it will exp".

Now that I think about it, they could have meant "expires" too. Sure wish the OP would come back and clarify what they meant.

Edited by RWolver672

except for the fact that passports for under 18 expire every 5 years and not 10 years for adults