Why on earth are cruise ship drinking cups so small?

beachnut2011

Personally, I don't really care what size the cups or glasses are. I've never had a problem getting refills in the DR or in the buffet (except on NCLA, but that's a different story). :)

Actually you are probably more likely to damage your kidneys by drinking too little than drinking too much.

You can also damage your kidneys by drinking too much water.

Unless there is an underlying condition, it takes a LOT of water to do kidney damage--enough so that the average person would vomit it before it could be harmful. I drink about a half gallon a day, more if I do a ton of cardio work, and my kidneys function quite well. That is on top of any other liquids I might consume--tea for example.

Most health experts recommend the 8x8 rule: 8oz of water 8 times per day (about 2 liters). Please note that they aren't recommend 48oz twice per day, or 24oz 4 times per day, but 8oz of water spread out 8 times per day. This water can be in juices, coffee, tea, soups, and even sodas.

Also read this interesting info about excess water consuption: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Edited by boogs

Unless there is an underlying condition, it takes a LOT of water to do kidney damage--enough so that the average person would vomit it before it could be harmful. I drink about a half gallon a day, more if I do a ton of cardio work, and my kidneys function quite well. That is on top of any other liquids I might consume--tea for example.

:rolleyes: LOL. I was reading your post when I had a "duh" moment. I had made myself a pot of tea and forgot to drink it. Thanks for the reminder before it got cold.

Do a little research on the subject and not just on wikiwhatever..

Edited by iheartbda

No need to. I have discussed this with my doctor and they feel my intake is appropriate given my physical activity.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Never said YOU were drinking too much water. Just brought up that it IS possible to drink too much, nothing more. There are always those who take anything to the extreme.

Never said YOU were drinking too much water. Just brought up that it IS possible to drink too much, nothing more. There are always those who take anything to the extreme.

Where did I contradict that?

Where did I contradict that?

Look, I'm not looking for an argument but I will reiterate.

I posted that it is also possible to drink too much water in response to you saying that it would take A LOT of water. When I said to do a little research on it, you in essense kindly said, no thank you, you had discussed it with your Dr. and there was no need. I then said, nowhere did I say you were drinking too much nor did I even later infer you were contradicting anything.

If you want to continue, go right ahead.:)

That half gallon is 64 ounces, or the equivalent of eight eight ounce glasses, which is what is most often recommended, and generally includes all liquids such as tea or fruit juice. It is usually recommended that it be spread out over the whole day, so an eight ounce glass of water at each meal, supplemented by other liquids, and other drinks of water throughout the day should work.

In my experience, the water glasses in the Lido ( or whatever the cafeteria is called) are usually at least eight ounces. - and the waiters in the MDR are always refilling water glasses, so there is no problem there.

I simply do not see that there is any problem.

I am with the crowd here who never noticed the size of the glasses on cruise ships. There were a variety of sizes and sometimes I had to refill them. So? I realize my coffee cups at home are bigger than Princess or Holland America but each has coffee cups in the same size as many local eateries.

My cruise is about so many other things than this -- for me.