Why on earth are cruise ship drinking cups so small?

beachnut2011

Thought I would start a thread on the size of cruise ship drinking cups. It appears all ships are the same! If enough support, maybe they will get the hint and increase their size.

Cruise's are great but I do get tired of getting up & refilling my drinking glass 3 or 4 times. Anyone else have an opinion on this subject?

We do have a theory. A small drinking cup means you can only put a relatively small amount of liquid in that cup. Folks tend to fill cups/glasses and often do not drink most of what is in the cup. By using smaller cups and glasses one can reduce the consumption of liquids which saves money. It is similar to the trend to remove trays from the Lido's of many cruise lines. When you had a large tray it was easy to pile all kinds of food onto your tray. But now that you only have a plate, you must limit what you take on a single trip....and many folks do not like making repeat visits to a buffet line. Hence, the cruise line saves food....which again means money.

Hank

I agree that it cuts down on waste.

Also since space on a ship is at a premium, it saves space. 3000 six oz cups or glasses take up a lot less space than 3000 twelve oz ones do.

You can always bring your own larger one.

Thought I would start a thread on the size of cruise ship drinking cups. It appears all ships are the same! If enough support, maybe they will get the hint and increase their size.

Cruise's are great but I do get tired of getting up & refilling my drinking glass 3 or 4 times. Anyone else have an opinion on this subject?

I don't find the drinking cups to small. I prefer to get a second cup if I need it instead of throwing half a cup out. Again it is the waste factor . Like someone said about no trays . I prefer to go back for a second instead of overloading the tray/plate and wasting food.

I for one appreciate that the cruise lines have not succumbed to the "Big Gulp" and "Super Size" mentality that seems to be so pervasive in society these days.

I am amazed that some people think it is such a big deal that they may have to get up and refill their cup when it runs out?

I for one appreciate that the cruise lines have not succumbed to the "Big Gulp" and "Super Size" mentality that seems to be so pervasive in society these days.

I am amazed that some people think it is such a big deal that they may have to get up and refill their cup when it runs out?

It is a big deal if you have a couple of small kids, no trays, and you've already had to make 4 runs up to the counters to get food, drinks and maybe desserts.

EVERYthing that happens on a cruise ship that we question always comes down to saving money. :D

Or, in a more balanced view, spending money effectively. I don't know that we can say everyone wants larger cups. For those that don't want larger cups, it is more effective to issue a cup that suits their needs as well, right? And if you want more, you get a refill.

Then the question becomes how large. If they issue a 16 oz cup, someone will want 24 oz. When they issue a 24, someone will want 32, or 40, or 64...

FAR less waste that way. fill a smaller cup( and besides a serving size of most things is NOT the entire bottle of soda or even water.. read the label.. it is usually at least 2 servings, sometimes more) and it all gets drunk

fill a larger cup and about halfway through it will end up lost and abandoned on some pool deck.

I find the regular self serve glasses to be more than adequate for my needs throughout the day. they are no bigger( or smaller) than what I have at home

The cups I don't care as much about, but I hate thimble sized mugs. I use a 16 ounce sized one at home for my morning tea and can't stand four ounce cups for hot beverages. It's OK when you can get a pot of tea, but when you have to make each cup with a bag, what a waste.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Good question. I too would prefer a "mug" for coffee in the morning especially and I also would prefer not to drink out of plastic cups and plastic glasses. Plastic does not keep liquids hot or cold.

We order room service for breakfast, that solves the issue for us. We order a large pot of coffee and can easily refill our cups.

The cups I don't care as much about, but I hate thimble sized mugs. I use a 16 ounce sized one at home for my morning tea and can't stand four ounce cups for hot beverages. It's OK when you can get a pot of tea, but when you have to make each cup with a bag, what a waste.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

that I agree with, esp in the CL. man those teeny little cute china cups are a waste. and the paper ones 'to go' aren't much better. the self serve ones by the buffet tend to be slightly less gross.. I think its melamine as opposed to plastic., not sure if that is a big distinction or not.

Or, in a more balanced view, spending money effectively. I don't know that we can say everyone wants larger cups. For those that don't want larger cups, it is more effective to issue a cup that suits their needs as well, right? And if you want more, you get a refill.

Then the question becomes how large. If they issue a 16 oz cup, someone will want 24 oz. When they issue a 24, someone will want 32, or 40, or 64...

I think we can agree there is a happy medium. Few (if any) want at 64 oz container of liquid to slurp down (lets not go to the absurd) but many of us would be fine with a 12 oz glass. I never cart around a water bottle but I do drink lots of water throughout my day. A 6 to 8 oz glass is just too small for many of us. I think most reasonable people would think 12 oz to be a sensible size without encouraging lots of waste.

Edited by sail7seas

I don't see the problem - water glasses on most ships' lidos I've seen are at least 10 oz. - and coffee mugs are regular 8 oz. size. I do not know what OP meant by "drinking cups". If that referred to the coffee cups with saucers used in the MDR, then yes, those are fairly small; but as a rule, getting a refill is hardly what I would see as a hardship. I do wonder about someone wanting a 30 oz. water glass: that's lifting two pounds to have a drink - and anyone who needs many refills of that size is probably going to burn out his/her kidneys.

Could the real answer be that the price of the smaller cup, is cheaper for the cruise lines to buy than a larger one?

john

It could be or it might be as simple that it's easy to identify that those smaller glasses are for cabin use. I also expect that the glasses in the cabin are sometimes accidently "packed".

It could be or it might be as simple that it's easy to identify that those smaller glasses are for cabin use. I also expect that the glasses in the cabin are sometimes accidently "packed".

Seriously? :confused:

Who would want to take home one of those plain, cheap, cabin glasses?

I can't imagine people actually accidentally or other pack those crummy glasses. :eek: