Rumors about January C&A changes

Karter

Pretty clear to me. Phish wants to do away with the free drinks and give C & A members a discount on the drinks package. Doc asked why. Where's the confusion?

I don't know who Doc is. I didn't see a post where anyone asked why I just saw the rude posts.

It must be me then. Time to hit the sauce I guess. Is it 5:00 somewhere?

what i would like to see in the upcoming changes:

keep the CL only for suite guests. (grand and above)

do away with drinks in the dia lounge (not the lounge, only the free drinks) and go to drinks as follows;

dia members 25% off drink package

dia+ members 50% off drink package

pinnacle members free drink package.

no more freebees until you reach pinnacle.

Well, that would benefit Royal. Not so much of a perk for us. It isn't worth paying $236 for a drink package on a 7nt cruise so my husband has the oppotunity to have a cocktail before dinner.

do away with drinks in the dia lounge (not the lounge, only the free drinks) and go to drinks as follows;

That basically means that unless you are a boozer who is going to have many drinks a day, you don't get anything. It could almost have a saying "Loyal Lushes"

An interesting idea, certainly worth some consideration.

I'm not sure yet where I would stand if free drinks were gone from the Diamond Club. On one hand, those ships without a Diamond Club only give you a 25% discount and all drinks are not free today. On those ships that now give us free drinks it would be a major take-a-way. It puts me in a position of having to pay almost $40+ per day to get the free drinks I used to get. Plus, that free drink is usually the only adult beverage my wife drinks every day. Spending $40+ per day for one drink wifey is out of the question.

A 25% discount for a 7 day cruise would be nearly a $100 benefit for a Diamond. Not out of line for a balcony discount, but certainly far higher than any single coupon benefit a Diamond receives today.

I don't believe that RCI's almost ten year commitment to carve out Diamond Clubs on all ships is ready to be scrapped today. This is an important benefit for me. I strongly believe that out of the 1,000+ cruises RCI sails each year accommodations can be found to keep their current commitments.

My two cents.

Is it me or are the posts by Ocean Boy, XPC and Starry a little confusing?

Royal Caribbean already gives free drinks to Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Members.

Phish was just giving an idea how those drinks should be dispersed. Royal already decided who gets them. They are in the process of changing the way they are dispersed. Already they are experimenting with drink coupons. RCI has altered the way they are giving out free drinks on Celebrity which includes discounted and free drink packages. It is VERY possible they will do the same on Royal Caribbean.

Why is Phish getting hammered on this?

Well I hope she's not getting hammered (though she does like drink packages *sly grin*). She's allowed to express her opinion on it of course. Just because others (myself included) don't agree with it doesn't mean we object to her having her opinion or voicing it.

My wife rarely drinks much, so she never goes to the lounge, and a drink package would be wasted on her. She may have a BBC at the show or during the day but that's about it.

I like having a drink (or two) during the day while at sea, and maybe get one or two in the lounge, and another at the show later.

So, no, personally of course I think it's a lousy idea. Particularly with the sound of exclusivity to it.

I'm sure there are many like me who don't have two people in the cabin both drinking enough to warrant a package (unless we are Pinnacle as well and then would have unlimited alcohol all day for the entire cruise *grin*)

I didn't know this. I'd love to see the thread. Anyone have a link? Is it a rumor thread or a factual thread? ;)

I think she's teasing about it and how rumors start and then expand when people get on these threads *grin* This whole thread is a rumor, so it's tongue in cheek.

I don't know who Doc is. I didn't see a post where anyone asked why I just saw the rude posts.

It must be me then. Time to hit the sauce I guess. Is it 5:00 somewhere?

My bad, Doc would be OB and no one was rude. They were just asking why she cared whether someone would get a free drink. Phish's entire 'idea' is basically to eliminate perks from others so Phish could have exclusivity to the CL.

Concierge lounge access should really begin at 350 points. People with 500 points receive same benefit as those with 175 - a new level really is necessary if RCL wants people to remain loyal.

I am loyal to Royal for other reasons than a few drinks. We do go to the C&A lounge before dinner sometimes, often to meet other people and relax before dinner....but we are far from heavy drinkers.

When we have gone to the lounge it often isn't crowded (maybe our experience is the exception -- we generally have early dinner seating) and service is fine. We get to sit down and relax before dinner.

If they change it to a voucher system....that will work as well....as you can sit in any of the bars/lounges...that has its benefits, especially if you are cruising with people who have not attained the same stature you have.

My bad, Doc would be OB and no one was rude. They were just asking why she cared whether someone would get a free drink. Phish's entire 'idea' is basically to eliminate perks from others so Phish could have exclusivity to the CL.

i do not do a suite. so how is the CL in my plan??

Phish was just giving an idea how those drinks should be dispersed. Royal already decided who gets them. They are in the process of changing the way they are dispersed. Already they are experimenting with drink coupons. RCI has altered the way they are giving out free drinks on Celebrity which includes discounted and free drink packages. It is VERY possible they will do the same on Royal Caribbean.

Why is Phish getting hammered on this?

Probably just the delivery:eek: but you are correct. If you read the link posted on the celebrity changes. It clearly states the Zenith [Pinnacle to RC] only have access to the CL/Michaels club where Elite+ [D+ to RC] receive a Captains club [C&A to RC] cocktail hour and discounted beverage package. No access to the CL. coupons/Vouchers are probably the thing of the future for many.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=40739856&postcount=1

Edited by Debde

I would love a discount on the bev package. We are planning on doing it on Indy. But it's going to feel weird not to obsess over when to use our drink coupons and to be "counting" our drinks in the CL. ;) Takes all the fun out of trying to "get our money's worth." However, I do think they need to come up with some nice perks for the light and non drinkers in C&A and not just those of us who enjoy our adult beverages! :D

Plus, why would we want to pay even 50% for an expensive drink package for the two of us??????

It reads to me the discount on a beverage package is in addition to a cocktail hour and or vouchers. One would think Royal would follow suit. I'm thinking many C&A members would welcome a discounted beverage package as a new perk. Look at it as a new coupon to the coupon books!!;) You can use it or not!!

I didn't know this. I'd love to see the thread. Anyone have a link? Is it a rumor thread or a factual thread? ;)

Here's a link to RCI UK and the answer to the third question advises that not all passengers in a cabin have to purchase the package and this is a change to the policy.

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/_images/Royal%20Alcohol%20Beverage%20FAQ%20All%20Ships%20Web%20Nov%2013_tcm16-27947.pdf

It reads to me the discount on a beverage package is in addition to a cocktail hour and or vouchers. One would think Royal would follow suit. I'm thinking many C&A members would welcome a discounted beverage package as a new perk. Look at it as a new coupon to the coupon books!!;) You can use it or not!!

Makes more sense now. We don't get the beverage packages, so the evening freebies suit us fine. Hubby is a diet coke drinker, but only wants a few in the evenings, too. We would pass on the discounted drink package.

You are kidding, right? We would never, ever buy the drink packages because we don't drink enough to make it worthwhile. While you might like it, there's a lot of people who wouldn't. A lot of us who are D and above don't drink that much. We love the lounge as we have met some wonderful people.

Edited by BND

Plus, why would we want to pay even 50% for an expensive drink package for the two of us??????

I agree we wouldnt

If there is an extra option, for those that would like to drink more as an added perk, I agree

Edited by jonbgd

Because she knows what everyone should and should not do and have. This is the 21st century and their is no free will or private property.

The people who know best tell us other poor stupid people what we need to do.

jc

She has already explained in a previous post that She is a real cruiser as opposed to us masses of fake ones. So, obviously, she knows what everyone should and should not get from RCI.

Edited by Ocean Boy

i must have hit a nerve. you must fall into one of the groups where you must pay a % for your drink package.

I took my chill pill------------i am sooooooo happpppppy now.:p:p

Considering how small amount of alcohol I consume it makes little difference.