Embassy suites FLL already full

Thebes

Keep in mind that it is a busy time of the year (as others have said) and that particular hotel is very popular with cruisers for several reasons. We would point out that there is a down side to the Embassy Suite in that the hotel does not provide free transfers from the airport or cruise port. There are actually quite a few other hotels in the same area that include free transfers.. If you look at the Cruise Critic board for "Ports of Call", "United States", "East Coast Departures" you will find a lot of discussion about various hotel options.

Hank

Are you sure they don't have transfers? I was under the impression they did. That said, I'd rather pay a few bucks extra and take a cab rather than being jammed in a van with a bunch of people.

Thebes - there is a Holiday Inn & Express on 17th street - a bit more of a walk to the water taxi and stuff but not that far. Continental Breakfast.

It's normally significantly cheaper than Embassy Suites IF you don't get a sale. You might want to check it out. I still prefer ES but Holiday Inn Express is quite decent according to some cc'ers who have used it :D

If a hotel I want is booked at their web site I always go to Expedia and Orbitz to see what they list.

Apparently, they sometimes actually buy blocks of rooms that they have to sell even though the hotel itself has no more for sale.

I tried that last week and it was sold out just like their website.

Are you sure they don't have transfers? I was under the impression they did. That said, I'd rather pay a few bucks extra and take a cab rather than being jammed in a van with a bunch of people.

Well, I actually telephoned them last evening and ask just this question. They told me that they use a transfer service (that they highly recommend) that charges a flat $8 per person fee...which can be charged to the hotel room. We know Ft Lauderdale pretty well and a taxi from the airport to the 17st area would probably cost $16 - $25 depending on traffic and the lights. From the hotel to the port should be the same or a bit less then the transfer fee (as long as the taxi did not "take you for a ride").

Hank

Well, I actually telephoned them last evening and ask just this question. They told me that they use a transfer service (that they highly recommend) that charges a flat $8 per person fee...which can be charged to the hotel room. We know Ft Lauderdale pretty well and a taxi from the airport to the 17st area would probably cost $16 - $25 depending on traffic and the lights. From the hotel to the port should be the same or a bit less then the transfer fee (as long as the taxi did not "take you for a ride").

Hank

Like I said, I thought they offered it or were you looking for free transport? To me, my comfort is more important than a few bucks.

We got it on a $78. per night for a few nights on an opaque hotel site last Feb....about three days prior to our date. Cancellations I guess.

Thanks iancal for your helpful tips :)

Was that ES for $78 and what month was it ? It makes sense now to see prices dropping right before the booking date. We love ES and we used it in different towns in the past but I never paid $360 before per night but at least we have a room in such busy season. Like Linda & Vern said " we're lucky to have a booking ".

Like I said, I thought they offered it or were you looking for free transport? To me, my comfort is more important than a few bucks.

Hmmm. In that case you might want to consider the Ritz Carlton. It will only cost you a "few bucks" and is in a totally different class then the Embassy Suites :).

Hank

We got that price last Feb. I have stayed at many ES on business but did not like this one. It was full, very, very noisy-especially at breakfast. Line ups for everything at breakfast. Rooms are fine but they are dark and in need of a reno (or maybe they have but we just got an older room). Much prefer the Hyatt Place across the street or the Ren down a few blocks and then go for breakfast somewhere more quiet and relaxing. We never bother with the shuttles....we find it easier to take a cab at our convenience.

Edited by iancal

Thanks iancal for your helpful tips :)

Was that ES for $78 and what month was it ? It makes sense now to see prices dropping right before the booking date. We love ES and we used it in different towns in the past but I never paid $360 before per night but at least we have a room in such busy season. Like Linda & Vern said " we're lucky to have a booking ".

FYI - I watched a room at ES "disappear" right before my eyes yesterday for a day or two before you are there. I think there must be a "cruisers convention" in town! :eek:

Edited by Linda&Vern

We got that price last Feb. I have stayed at many ES on business but did not like this one. It was full, very, very noisy-especially at breakfast. Line ups for everything at breakfast. Rooms are fine but they are dark and in need of a reno. Much prefer the Hyatt Place across the street or the Ren down a few blocks.

We haven't stayed at the ES in FtL in several years (much prefer the Riverside), so wasn't sure if the ES had been renovated or not, but they sure need(ed) it. The rooms are so dark and the décor was dated and unattractive. I bet there wasn't 100 watts of lighting between the 2 rooms total.

We got that price last Feb. I have stayed at many ES on business but did not like this one. It was full, very, very noisy-especially at breakfast. Line ups for everything at breakfast. Rooms are fine but they are dark and in need of a reno (or maybe they have but we just got an older room). Much prefer the Hyatt Place across the street or the Ren down a few blocks and then go for breakfast somewhere more quiet and relaxing. We never bother with the shuttles....we find it easier to take a cab at our convenience.

I have to agree about the noise and lots of people around at the ES. That said - my DH (who usually does not have an opinion on these matters) likes staying there pre-cruise. He says it's fun to see all the happy people anticipating their cruise and gets everyone in the "mood."

What is the big deal with a shuttle to the dock from port area hotels?

A cab, as I recall, costs $15-20 depending where you are staying. It is so much easier to get there on your on steam, at your own convenience instead of having to wait, wait, wait, and then being jammed into a van. My guess is that if many of the hotels are charging for a shuttle it may even be less expensive to take a cab if there are a few of you.

We prefer the GalleryOne DoubleTree Suites. Lovely suites w/balconies. It's a little farther away from the port - next to the Galleria Mall and at a water taxi stop. Use the Corp code 0560041604 when booking for some savings. If you have at least Hilton Honors Gold status you'll get free breakfast, free wifi and a good chance for an upgrade. It is also across the street from a Publix where you can pick up some wine.

You are lucky to have a reservation. I have a complicated schedule in February for two cruises we are planning with a one-night layover between cruises. I need a total of three nights at ES (one before the first cruise, one between the cruises, and one after the second cruise). Right now they have no rooms for the first night I need. That screws up the whole parking thing. I've been watching for cancellations and will continue to do so. I want to make a decision this week. If parking is not something you need, you can probably find more value-priced accommodations in other areas of FLL.

Try the Cambria Suites, Ft Lauderdale Airport. If you booked through Stay123.com, there is a good stay/cruise deal that includes a night's stay, free parking, and a free round trip shuttle to the port. The hotel is about 10-15 minutes from the port.

A breakfast is not included (there is a breakfast buffet for $10 a person), but a McDonalds is within walking distance.

What is the big deal with a shuttle to the dock from port area hotels?

A cab, as I recall, costs $15-20 depending where you are staying. It is so much easier to get there on your on steam, at your own convenience instead of having to wait, wait, wait, and then being jammed into a van. My guess is that if many of the hotels are charging for a shuttle it may even be less expensive to take a cab if there are a few of you.

That's what I was saying only to be told I should book at the Ritz.

There is much renovation happening at the Embassy Suites.

The fountain in the main lobby where you walk in towards the reception desk is gone. The reception desk has been done over.

The atrium area where you had breakfast is being done over (and I do not like the looks of it). The big palm trees that were around the breakfast eating are all gone. From what we saw -- there are huge box-like structures being erected around the eating area.

There is much renovation happening at the Embassy Suites.

The fountain in the main lobby where you walk in towards the reception desk is gone. The reception desk has been done over.

The atrium area where you had breakfast is being done over (and I do not like the looks of it). The big palm trees that were around the breakfast eating are all gone. From what we saw -- there are huge box-like structures being erected around the eating area.

Yikes! Are all those beautiful plants gone that were in the main area KK?