The New Celebrity Captains Club is Here!

danrad

The problem will be if all of the bonus point offers involve booking very expensive cabins (AQ, suites). It's the exact opposite of the previous practice of just being able to book short cheap cruises. Clearly that is what they were aiming to stop. Many people (myself included) have been OK booking Concierge to get the extra point to get to Elite. Higher than that will not be as attractive. If we see them offering bonuses on verandah cabins (or Concierge, I guess), then I'll be less of a cynic.

Yes, it is aimed at getting more money in for the points given out.:D

Yes, it is aimed at getting more money in for the points given out.:D

Is that surprising? They are in business to make money, not to quickly get us all to the next tier. Why would they give us extra incentives to purchase the cheaper cabins? (Perhaps on a specific cruise that isn't selling well, but then they normally lower prices to fill those cabins.) I'm sure they will be exploring different options over time to see what works.

Is that surprising? They are in business to make money, not to quickly get us all to the next tier. Why would they give us extra incentives to purchase the cheaper cabins? (Perhaps on a specific cruise that isn't selling well, but then they normally lower prices to fill those cabins.) I'm sure they will be exploring different options over time to see what works.

How correct you are. People forget that Celebrity is in business to make money. I don't cruise in AQ and wouldn't just to get some extra points. I also have no problem with Celebrity offering a bonus points promotion to higher end cabins. It's just like my airline frequent flyer program, they offer 50 percent more miles if you fly first class opposed to coach. Hopefully in the future, Celebrity will have promotions for other categories, but if they don't, no big deal.

How correct you are. People forget that Celebrity is in business to make money. I don't cruise in AQ and wouldn't just to get some extra points. I also have no problem with Celebrity offering a bonus points promotion to higher end cabins. It's just like my airline frequent flyer program, they offer 50 percent more miles if you fly first class opposed to coach. Hopefully in the future, Celebrity will have promotions for other categories, but if they don't, no big deal.

We normally get inside or oceanview on Celebrity, since their cruises are usually more expensive than Royal Caribbean. We have never gotten AQ and probably never will unless the prices come down. I see no problem giving more points to those who get the more expensive cabins, and some people may book them just to get bonus points--in which case, the offer did what Celebrity wanted. Southwest gives FF points based on how much you pay for the fare (even in coach), so it takes us much longer to earn free flights than it does on other airlines. They, too, are in the business of making money.

We normally get inside or oceanview on Celebrity, since their cruises are usually more expensive than Royal Caribbean. We have never gotten AQ and probably never will unless the prices come down. I see no problem giving more points to those who get the more expensive cabins, and some people may book them just to get bonus points--in which case, the offer did what Celebrity wanted. Southwest gives FF points based on how much you pay for the fare (even in coach), so it takes us much longer to earn free flights than it does on other airlines. They, too, are in the business of making money.

I'm always amazed that people don't understand that businesses are there to make money, otherwise, they wouldn't be around.

I'm certainly glad that Celebrity set their new program and has not made any changes because of a few complainers. Seems that they knew what they were doing all along with these changes and their bonus point promotion shows it, based on posters on here who have said they took advntage of it,.

The example you give with the airline is what Celebrity is already doing, giving a higher number of points for the higher categories just for booking it. But then they're adding an even bigger bonus. It would be like an airline saying that they were having a deal where you could get bonus miles but then you find out it's only for flying business or first class. It makes it irrelevant for most customers.

Anyway, my point is that they said in the announcement that they'd have bonus point promotions to let you get to the next category faster. If it turns out that all of these are going to be based on booking at AQ or higher, then most people won't bother paying attention.

What percentage of the ship is AQ or higher, anyway?

The example you give with the airline is what Celebrity is already doing, giving a higher number of points for the higher categories just for booking it. But then they're adding an even bigger bonus. It would be like an airline saying that they were having a deal where you could get bonus miles but then you find out it's only for flying business or first class. It makes it irrelevant for most customers.

Anyway, my point is that they said in the announcement that they'd have bonus point promotions to let you get to the next category faster. If it turns out that all of these are going to be based on booking at AQ or higher, then most people won't bother paying attention.

What percentage of the ship is AQ or higher, anyway?

Airlines do have bonus program, like Celebrity's 25 bonus point promotion. Some airlines (two that I know of) have promotions where you can pay $29 or so to get extra miles over and above what you would normally earn on your flight. It is great for those that need the miles to be able to book a trip using miles and is great for the airlines, because they are making additional revenue.

I'm guessing, by the posts on here, that many, many customer took advantage of the bonus point promotion.

I'm guessing, by the posts on here, that many, many customer took advantage of the bonus point promotion.

And if they don't, Celebrity will change future offerings. It shouldn't be a surprise that they are trying to drive people to the higher priced cabins. It really doesn't bother me. Would I like to get the bonus points? Sure, but it isn't a big deal if I don't. It isn't worth the extra cost to me. For others, it may be. Time will tell.

The example you give with the airline is what Celebrity is already doing, giving a higher number of points for the higher categories just for booking it.........What percentage of the ship is AQ or higher, anyway?

For the Infinity M-Class, it has 50 Suites and 108 AQ which totals 15% of SRs

For the Eclipse S-Class, it has 66 Suites and 130 AQ which totals 14% of SRs.

For the Reflection S-Class with added SRs, it has 74 Suites and 185 AQ which totals 17% of SRs.

Den

For the Reflection S-Class with added SRs, it has 74 Suites and 185 AQ which totals 17% of SRs.

Den

We sail in Aqua because we like the smaller, quieter dining room so this promotion worked out for us. We didn't change what we do to get the points (which in the overall scheme of things is pretty small unless you're just a tiny bit short of the next level in the captain's club).

What I do see from your chart above is that there are potentially 63 more people trying to eat in Blu (which, as far as I know is the same size as on the other S class ships) on the Reflection. :eek: :(

We sail in Aqua because we like the smaller, quieter dining room so this promotion worked out for us. We didn't change what we do to get the points (which in the overall scheme of things is pretty small unless you're just a tiny bit short of the next level in the captain's club).

What I do see from your chart above is that there are potentially 63 more people trying to eat in Blu (which, as far as I know is the same size as on the other S class ships) on the Reflection. :eek: :(

Yes, that's right. Didn't go AQ on Reflection and enjoyed Her, but was bothered by the loss of part of the Sky Lounge they cut out to make room for more Suites.

Haven't seen anyone complain about the crowding in the Reflection BLU but it could be an issue, not in crowding, but in getting in during high use time.

Den

Yes, that's right. Didn't go AQ on Reflection and enjoyed Her, but was bothered by the loss of part of the Sky Lounge they cut out to make room for more Suites.

Haven't seen anyone complain about the crowding in the Reflection BLU but it could be an issue, not in crowding, but in getting in during high use time.

Den

Hi Den:

There have been overcrowding issues on Reflection and I have been on cruises where there have been complaints. Cemel, who ws then the RM on Reflection,now F&B Manager on Solstice, developed a special dining package for AQ passengers to lure them away from Blu and into Specialty Restaurants. Worked quite well as many took advantage of the package. Blu on Reflection is just too small for the number of passengers in AQ and AQ Suites. I'll be on her in January and see if the situation has improved.

Have a happy,healthy New Year.

Edited by Orator

Den

You're right. It wouldn't be more crowded - can't fill a room beyond capacity - but I would imagine eating at 7:30 (or any time after 6:30 and before 8:30) might be difficult. I wonder if they rush meals to turn over tables faster?

I think the Reflection won't be in our future unless she has an UNBELIEVABLE itinerary!

Hi Den:

There have been overcrowding issues on Reflection and I have been on crusies where there have been complaints. Cemel, who ws then the RM on Reflection,now F&B Manager on Solstice, developed a special dining package for AQ passengers to lure them away from Blu and into Specialty Restaurants. Worked quite well as many took advantage of the package. Blu on Reflection is just too small for the number of passengers in AQ and AQ Suites. I'll be on her in January and see if the situation has improved.

Have a happy,healthy New Year.

We did a b2b last year on Reflection and ate in Blu almost every night. We never experienced overcrowding, service was fine and, if I recall correctly, the room is indeed larger on this ship.

Having said that, we will take advantage of the BOGO on the first night when we return to the Reflection in March.;)

Yes Karen and Orator, we enjoyed Reflection, but would go with the other S-Class if itinerary was similar.

I'd like to try Silhouette since it doesn't have the Glass Blowing and replaced it with The Grill which we liked. And that ship has the full Sky Lounge.

Fun trying them all.

Den

We did a b2b last year on Reflection and ate in Blu almost every night. We never experienced overcrowding, service was fine and, if I recall correctly, the room is indeed larger on this ship.

Having said that, we will take advantage of the BOGO on the first night when we return to the Reflection in March.;)

Every cruise is different. I've been in AQ class on Reflection a number of times. I've observed no problems in Blu on most cruises, but there have been a few where a combination of lots of people wanting to dine at the same time and the size of Blu made for lines and waiters forced to rush. Blu is indeed larger on Reflection, but IMHO not large enough to handle the additional AQ cabins and Suites.

Every cruise is different. I've been in AQ class on Reflection a number of times. I've observed no problems in Blu on most cruises, but there have been a few where a combination of lots of people wanting to dine at the same time and the size of Blu made for lines and waiters forced to rush. Blu is indeed larger on Reflection, but IMHO not large enough to handle the additional AQ cabins and Suites.

We did avoid going right after the conclusion of the Elite Happy Hour and early show. We found 7:45 to 8:15 to be line free.

That sounds like what they did on Constellation (and I assume the other Solsticized ships) to make room for AQ cabins. I didn't like it there, either.

Den

Thanks for the math, those percentages are higher than I thought they would be.:D

That sounds like what they did on Constellation (and I assume the other Solsticized ships) to make room for AQ cabins. I didn't like it there, either.

Actually, I think the Constellation lounge was cut up for the relocated kids club, so they could add a specialty restaurant.

Actually, I think the Constellation lounge was cut up for the relocated kids club, so they could add a specialty restaurant.

Oops, you're right (I just checked the deck plan). It's flow of the other end of deck 11 that they ruined with the AQ cabins and Tuscan Grill.

In any event, it was still due to Solsticizing.

Edited by MisterBill99

Have I had too many cocktails this afternoon or are you saying that kids were cut up in the specialty restaurant and relocated to the Constellation lounge ?

Oops, you're right (I just checked the deck plan). It's flow of the other end of deck 11 that they ruined with the AQ cabins and Tuscan Grill.

In any event, it was still due to Solsticizing.

Partially Solisticiising. Mainly Revenue. More cabins=more passengers=more revenue. Can't blame them since business is business and they must keep an eye on the bottom line.

Edited by Orator