Beware when you purchase a watch

fish2#

We had an issue with a watch purchased on board. We contacted Celebrity customer service and were told this is not covered under their program. We were told to contact the manufacturer. Seems like there should have been a sign about this on the counter where watches are sold. :(

What is their program?

Read the boiler plate and you will see that it a lot of verbage that doesn't mean a thing. All it is is a piece of paper that informs the on board shopping expert what was purchased so they can get their cut.

I have purchased many high end watches and if there is a probelm they have be returned to the manufacturer. If it is a cheap watch a retailer may exchange it or refund the money.

.🎅🎄

I have bought several of the "junk" watches for $10...I think of them as a piece of fashion jewelry...to wear with an outfit or for just the fun of the item. a couple of them surprised me by running for several years..with a battery replacement (lucky I can do them myself ) other lasted a year if that....

I may think twice about a good high end item since I would want to deal with the seller if there is a major problem...

We had an issue with a watch purchased on board. We contacted Celebrity customer service and were told this is not covered under their program. We were told to contact the manufacturer. Seems like there should have been a sign about this on the counter where watches are sold. :(

Why would anyone buy a watch on a ship?????

I purchased a beautiful Tanzanite ring on a cruise a few years ago. I looked at similar rings over and over on previous cruises. I took it to a local store and they were impressed with the cut and quality of the stone. I have not seen another ring like it and get many compliments on it. I have not had any problems, however the ship advised me if something were to go wrong or I needed it sized where I should send it. They gave me this information up front.

I've bought a couple Citizen watches on cruises that were good buys. Never had any problems, but if I did I wouldn't have any problems taking it my local jeweler. What's wrong with doing that?

Just like buying jewelry or a watch or camera in the islands. No different , no better, no worse

Edited by gpnfish

To know what the time it is.:D

DW bought a Invicta watch at a clear out sale onboard our last cruise because she forgot her watch at home and we were away, down under, for almost 5 weeks. After returning home she found it online for slightly cheaper price, about $20 less but then our VAT sales tax would have added 13% to that price so it would have ended up at about the same cost. She ended up giving it to our DIL after our return.

I ended up buying a Bulova Marine Star watch at the same sale for $125, not because I needed a watch but I just liked it's look. Turns out I got it for about half of what it sells online for and I didn't have to pay the 13% VAT nor shipping cost. Also it could to taken or sent to a nearby Service Dept. in Toronto for repairs under it's three years warranty.

It was also a good way to use up the large amount of OBC we had for this cruise.;)

Bulova-Mens-Sport-Marine-Star-Rose-Goldtone-Steel-Black-Leather-Watch-P14999012.jpeg

Edited by robtulipe

i bought a watch onboard once and had no problems, so I am sure the goal is not to have problems. Can't imagine a company wanting to create on purpose a bad experience for their customers.

I do agree, it would be nice to have sales people make sure you understand that if there is a problem, you will need to contact the manufacturer. That happens though in a lot of sales. The manufacturer is issuing the warranty, not the retailer.

Before a trip, I buy an inexpensive digital watch (< $5) that I bring with me. Most of the time it is some bright color and encapsulated in silicone. That way I know what time it is and don't need to worry if it breaks or gets lost.

I do exactly the same. Have a cheap waterproof watch that I wear and don't really care if it gets lost/stolen. I think I have spent more on batteries over the past six years than I did on the watch. Anything of value stays home, anything of real value gets put into the safe deposit box before we leave home.

Never Ever buy any of those watches that also have a braclet or keychain with it for 19.00 that say on a little tag they are 98.00 dollar watchs...How do you spell J U N K....

My watch strap broke on a cruise so I also bought one of those $19 watches - just so I would have a watch for the balance of the cruise. It lasted a few days longer than the cruise and I just threw it away. I knew if was junk when I bought it, but it served its purpose.

You have to be careful even with the brand name watches. I was looking at a Citizen watch. They had one that looked the same but it was the 'economy' version at the same price as the 'luxury' one. Know your prices and then make a decision.

I bought a watch onboard a few years ago because the prices on the ship are cheaper than what I would pay at home (plus there's no tax). I had a lot of onboard credit to use and I was in need of a new watch - so why not?

because it was £400 less than it was in the UK and if I had bought it in the USA it would have been over my duty allowance

Luckily I spotted that the warranty paperwork was missing and was able to go and collect it before I got off - so do keep an eye that you do get all the papers you need

I considered purchasing a Citizen Eco-Drive watch onboard at a price considerably less than I would have paid in Canada (or the US), but finally bought one in Aruba. The price there was the same, but they carried a model with a slight difference in finish that I preferred. Otherwise, I would have happily bought onboard.