Disembarkation VACATE cabin time 8am P and O Compared to other cruise lines.

micky most

8am I feel is too early a chuck out time on disembarkation day what do others feel?

What time do other cruise lines have as a vacate cabin time for all you experienced in other lines cruisers.I appreciate the cabin stewards have loads to do but I feel 9am or even 10am would be fairer especially when one has paid three times more than the getaway £599 bargain hunters who brought the standard down in several ways on our recent TA on Azura A326N.:mad:Our last day on Azura we feel was wasted due to the delay in our flight who no one had an answer too until late pm so we couldnt organise anything.

your comments appreciated regards

Micky and Mrs Micky

Hi Micky. We were on the same cruise as you and flew back to B'ham. Our flight was delayed for about one hour. We really enjoyed the cruise very much. As we are also on Azura for Xmas on a vantage booking we booked a Getaway for the transatlantic in a balcony cabin paying double what you are quoting although I know that balcony's were reduced for a few days just before the cruise to £799.

Ours was very much a last minute decision when we found out that David Essex was performing on board. I am interested to understand what you mean by the standards being reduced on board due to bargain hunters ( if I have understood you correctly) as we didn't find this ourselves.I have posted a review of the cruise on here.

Sorry that your experience was not as good as it could have been.

Regards Mary.

I have to say that having been to the Caribbean a few times that P&O do handle it very well. Even allowing you spend the last day on the ship up until departure time is not something that all the US Cruiselines allow as quite often they have not been involved in the flight part of the cruise. I think that the transfer from the plane direct to the ship is excellent with no bother with luggage or immigration. Earlier this year we had a scheduled BA fight which we would never choose again as we had to handle our own luggage and go through immigration - very messy. Praise where it is due - this is something P&O do very well, and being out of the cabin at 8:30 is a small price to pay.

Edited by bee-ess

The slick embarkation and disembarkation at Barbados was mainly due to Foster & Ince who run the whole operation as port agents etc. As soon as a plane takes off in the UK, the anticipated arrival time is radioed to Barbados so the coaches and luggage trailers are all ready and waiting. Every luggage trailer takes one coach-load of passengers' baggage so they are never separated. the same on the return - all bags are sealed by customs and kept together with the pax.

……... you say majority of cruisers dont go on those type of cruises I wonder why?

Because the majority of P&O cruises are not this type of cruise!

Most P&O cruises are ex-Southampton, and only 1 or 2 ships are based in the Caribbean, and even then for the winter months only, to operate this type of cruise.

The difference with Fred Olsen is that you do not normally board Fred until 1400 or later, therefore the stewards have much longer to get your cabins ready. Personally, i don't care either way, we are usually up by 7.30, so it's no big deal to take your hand baggage to breakfast, although up to now we have always left it in our cabin until about 8.30.

Hi Micky. We were on the same cruise as you and flew back to B'ham. Our flight was delayed for about one hour. We really enjoyed the cruise very much. As we are also on Azura for Xmas on a vantage booking we booked a Getaway for the transatlantic in a balcony cabin paying double what you are quoting although I know that balcony's were reduced for a few days just before the cruise to £799.

Ours was very much a last minute decision when we found out that David Essex was performing on board. I am interested to understand what you mean by the standards being reduced on board due to bargain hunters ( if I have understood you correctly) as we didn't find this ourselves.I have posted a review of the cruise on here.

Sorry that your experience was not as good as it could have been.

Regards Mary.

Hi Mary

you state your flight was delayed for an hour to fly back to Birmingham?So you did not fly on Thomson flight 815 then?Our flight Thomson 815 to Birmingham was due to leave at 7.20pm but did not leave until 10pm a delay of 2hours and 40minutes.

Standards reduced well should be another posting here but here are some examples well in buffet for example(some call it a bunfight)well it was true to that title as many people with no manners pushing in not using handgel etc,and even though everyone had all the time in the world they had to be first.Including the drinks stations.Also the same type of people hugged the tables some two people on tables of six etc and pretending others were coming to sit which proved to be made up.Some sat for two sittings in the theatre every night which is selfish in itself as theatre holds 800peeps and ship holds 3000 pax so some would have missed the shows due to this practice,t shirts shorts being the dress of many men for the night despite signs saying otherwise asking for long trousers!

other issues but ill start a new post and list them all when I have more time.:)

Our last two P and O cruises were a better experience compared to this one.So im assuming the cheap deals may have had an impact due to new cruisers onboard due to being priced at rocket bottom prices with P and O selling cabins at a loss.

On reviews on here and on other cruise review websites It seems people experienced the same On Ventura on the TA with people letting their kids in the jacuzies unattended people eating in the pools and drinking while in pools etc,shorts being the dress code for the night despite signs saying otherwise i/e long trousers,so it appears the same thing was experienced on Ventura as what we found on Azura!

Mary glad you enjoyed your cruise!

regards Micky and Mrs Micky

Edited by micky most

Because the majority of P&O cruises are not this type of cruise!

Most P&O cruises are ex-Southampton, and only 1 or 2 ships are based in the Caribbean, and even then for the winter months only, to operate this type of cruise.

I think Dai is relating to Transatlantic P and O cruises which im referring to as well,Not the fly out and fly back cruise where the ship is based in Caribbean,Dai am I right?:confused:

Regards Micky and Mrs Micky

another Azura cruise reviewed being a cruise before ours by SEAPALS his words and review on here

When prices go down you have to expect changes .... Benidorm at sea!

We all love a great bargain and there are plenty to be had .... Just be aware that with cheap prices comes an unwelcome downward turn in cruising.

Yes you are going to see the sunbed war ... Beer bellies to rival any you may have seen elsewhere ... Bad manners ... Poor service by disinterested staff ... Standing room only in what has become the 'concert room' ... Fellow diners unable to hold a normal conversation .... Some just plain ignorant and nasty. Getting the drift ....

So would we do it again ..... One should never say never .... Go with the intention of spending more once onboard to use the speciality dining options and the Retreat ... We ate in the allocated restaurant twice in seventeen nights. School dinners crossed with Butlins just about sums it up. Room service food of a better standard. Don't even think about the buffet at peak times unless you have sharp elbows. I walked round with my tray for 10 minutes then gave up .... put down my now cold lunch and walked away.

I suppose this was always inevitable once the war of the massive cruise ships started ... They have to fill the cabins and attract passengers. Dropping prices means dropping standards and will ultimately alienate all but the hardy bargain hunters. We are going to see the equivalent of Butlins for the masses ..... And don't forget a lot of people had some very good holidays there and happy memories. It just isn't for me at my time of life.

I might seriously consider stopping at home ..... Then again ..... Where's this weeks offers!

Edited by micky most

OMG - it sounds awful. I only had a small taster of this on Azura when she was pretty new. The buffet was unbearable, and yes to the beer bellies, tattoes and rude passengers, but not as bad as you describe. As i have said elsewhere, i will stick to smaller ships with P&O and Fred. None of this behaviour have I found on those ships.

OMG - it sounds awful. I only had a small taster of this on Azura when she was pretty new. The buffet was unbearable, and yes to the beer bellies, tattoes and rude passengers, but not as bad as you describe. As i have said elsewhere, i will stick to smaller ships with P&O and Fred. None of this behaviour have I found on those ships.

Maybe time we tried a much smaller ship then:)

regards Micky

I would take a lot of these statements about large ships with a very large pinch of salt. We have sailed on Azura 5 times and never encountered any of these problems or if we have nowhere near as bad as what people are making out. The bun fight in buffet happens at breakfast and lunchtime on all size of ships and you get inconsiderate passengers blocking tables whatever the size of ship. Having said that Princess is far more civilised and better organised the tables are set out with places and cutlery so you can see availability and there is no need for the fight at the drinks station because a waiter asks you what you want to drink and fetches it for you so no need to go anywhere need the drinks station .

Edited by shilly3191

We have been on two fly cruises in the Caribbean on Azura and have another one booked for next year. I do not recognise some of the comments made. Buffets are never a wonderful experience which is why we tend to go to the main restaurant for breakfast and lunch, or order from Room service or the Grill on deck. I don't go on holiday to carry a tray in a buffet.

We have seen some passengers who could do with a lesson in manners, mostly when we are trying to exit a lift and they are trying to get in. However, all these are in the minority and I do not think service has deteriorated in the years we have been cruising with P&O (2005). Yes Azura is a large ship but we have never felt that we are on a ship with huge numbers of people. The tours we have been on have always met on the quay side so no queuing to get stickers in a venue on board.

As far as the "Benidorm" and "Butlins" comments are concerned we have never found this on any P&O ship (and we've been on most) on any itinerary.

Bad manners and rude behaviour is encountered amongst all types of people - not just those who have a bargain

Rudest man I have encountered on a cruise had a very snooty accent and I am sure would consider himself some sort of higher class.

Someone with a beer belly might be perfectly pleasant and well mannered

Hi Mary

you state your flight was delayed for an hour to fly back to Birmingham?So you did not fly on Thomson flight 815 then?Our flight Thomson 815 to Birmingham was due to leave at 7.20pm but did not leave until 10pm a delay of 2hours and 40minutes.

Standards reduced well should be another posting here but here are some examples well in buffet for example(some call it a bunfight)well it was true to that title as many people with no manners pushing in not using handgel etc,and even though everyone had all the time in the world they had to be first.Including the drinks stations.Also the same type of people hugged the tables some two people on tables of six etc and pretending others were coming to sit which proved to be made up.Some sat for two sittings in the theatre every night which is selfish in itself as theatre holds 800peeps and ship holds 3000 pax so som

would have missed the shows due to this practice,t shirts shorts being the dress of many men for the night despite signs saying otherwise asking for long trousers!

other issues but ill start a new post and list them all when I have more time.:)

Our last two P and O cruises were a better experience compared to this one.So im assuming the cheap deals may have had an impact due to new cruisers onboard due to being priced at rocket bottom prices with P and O selling cabins at a loss.

On reviews on here and on other cruise review websites It seems people experienced the same On Ventura on the TA with people letting their kids in the jacuzies unattended people eating in the pools and drinking while in pools etc,shorts being the dress code for the night despite signs saying otherwise i/e long trousers,so it appears the same thing was experienced on Ventura as what we found on Azura!

Mary glad you enjoyed your cruise!

regards Micky and Mrs Micky

Hi Micky, we were on the earlier Birmingham flight, due to leave at 4.40 pm. Having cruised on most of the P&O ships and RCI, Celebrity,Cunard and Oceania. I do feel that the recent cruise on Azura for us was a good one. Thankfully we didn't experience the things that you did. We usually eat breakfast in the cabin or theMDR and Lunch in the MDR or one of the other non buffet options. In saying that if we do ever use the buffet it's outside of the 'rush' hours. We never sunbathe near to the pools and avoid the pubs e.g Brodie's as we prefer quieter locations.

Hope your next cruise is a better one for you.

Regards Mary.

These comments illustrate exactly why I won't sail on Azura or Ventura for any price. It sounds so completely different from the civilised experiences on the smaller ships.

You should give it a try Sharon you might just be pleasantly surprised.

Regards Mary.

You should give it a try Sharon you might just be pleasantly surprised.

Regards Mary.

I have actually. They were short cruises on Ventura and Royal Princess. It's just that I like the traditional cruise experience and a more intimate ship where it is easier to get to know people, and these were not for me. That is not to say that other won't love them.

I would take a lot of these statements about large ships with a very large pinch of salt. We have sailed on Azura 5 times and never encountered any of these problems or if we have nowhere near as bad as what people are making out. The bun fight in buffet happens at breakfast and lunchtime on all size of ships and you get inconsiderate passengers blocking tables whatever the size of ship. Having said that Princess is far more civilised and better organised the tables are set out with places and cutlery so you can see availability and there is no need for the fight at the drinks station because a waiter asks you what you want to drink and fetches it for you so no need to go anywhere need the drinks station .

Hi Shilly

You can take it with salt if you want but this time my statements about what we found are true,our last visit to Azura last year was completely a different experience.

In reference to drinks station are you saying on Princess cruises the waiter brings you tea coffee etc to your table?as I refer to tea coffee stations in my post where the tea coffee water is etc in the buffet area not alcoholic drinks.On Azura last week some guy pushed passed my wife to get hot water from the hot water tap then left the hot tap running not bothering to turn it off so my wife was lucky not to get burnt!

And you are saying the bun fight is common on all ships well obviously that will be a consideration for us then when we book our next holiday as for what we paid its not for us to fight for a table whilst your breakfast or dinner gets cold in your arms,and you are obviously by your posting happy to accept it well thats your choice and yes we did have lunch sometimes waiter service in the MDR, but with the size of buffet on Azura and Ventura in four sections there is no excuse for this type of behaviour from adults and of those who think they shouldnt clean their hands with gel provided,easy way germs spread.

regards Micky and Mrs M.

Edited by micky most

Hi Micky, we were on the earlier Birmingham flight, due to leave at 4.40 pm. Having cruised on most of the P&O ships and RCI, Celebrity,Cunard and Oceania. I do feel that the recent cruise on Azura for us was a good one. Thankfully we didn't experience the things that you did. We usually eat breakfast in the cabin or theMDR and Lunch in the MDR or one of the other non buffet options. In saying that if we do ever use the buffet it's outside of the 'rush' hours. We never sunbathe near to the pools and avoid the pubs e.g Brodie's as we prefer quieter locations.

Regards Mary.

thank you Mary

:)

regards Micky

Shilly

You state you sailed on Azura 5 times so how recently did you sail on Azura or Ventura if you dont mind me asking i/e did you sail on the last two recent cruises? And what ship and cruise line did you last cruise on and when.:rolleyes:

regards Micky

Edited by micky most

We chose to keep a room for the final day last time we were in the Caribbean on Ventura in 2011.

We had to move from our balcony cabin (4 berth) to a two berth next door. The room attendant said he would get the room ready so we could just swap over.

He asked if it would be OK if we stayed in the original room until 10am then moved next door until 5pm which was the pick up time for the airport (we flew back at 8pm) so we weren't "roomless" for any length of time.

At Southampton we have always had to vacate our room by 8am.

On the Carnival Legend from Dover earlier this year you were asked to leave your room from 4.30am and no later than 6.30am :eek: I thought bugger that I'm not leaving until 8am! Luckily the ship got stuck in a lock in Amsterdam the night before, so no one got off before 7.30am.

I understand there were LOTS of unhappy passengers walking around the ship at 6.30am NOT allowed back to their rooms!!!:D

So on J402 - Arcadia in the Med, next April 13, are there likely to be 'Chavs' on board, or in Aussie Language 'Bogans.' OR will most of the pax be retired Colonels with blazer, regimental tie and brogues?

Ye Gods, another Buffet Scrum could be looming. I did play Rugger in the Second Row, I should brush up on my old skills, LOL.

So on J402 - Arcadia in the Med, next April 13, are there likely to be 'Chavs' on board, or in Aussie Language 'Bogans.' OR will most of the pax be retired Colonels with blazer, regimental tie and brogues?

Ye Gods, another Buffet Scrum could be looming. I did play Rugger in the Second Row, I should brush up on my old skills, LOL.

You're more likely to find nonagenarians than Chavs on Arcadia :D

No Colonels on P&O, they're on Cunard..... P&O is more for Sergeants and Lieutenants

Edited by Tom Baker

You're more likely to find nonagenarians than Chavs on Arcadia :D

No Colonels on P&O, they're on Cunard..... P&O is more for Sergeants and Lieutenants

Sorry Tom we met a wonderful Colonel on our cruise to the Black Sea. And a lorry driver on our last cruise. Both wonderful people.

Sorry Tom we met a wonderful Colonel on our cruise to the Black Sea. And a lorry driver on our last cruise. Both wonderful people.

Thank you Tom and Dai, agree, yes, we met some wonderful British people on Arcadia WC last year.

Rule Britannia, pity about the Ashes.