Thanks, cruise ship balcony!! A commentary..

big al

Again, my 2 cents - hang in there Al. I love the thread you started about the "balcony" type rooms. I have shared your comments about the significance of the balcony and the potential impact for the total cruise enjoyment to some of our friends who were asking about their first cruise plans; I have not tracked their decisions one way or another. We often have discussed cruising in much small ships (no balconies) and yet so far, have always selected a larger ship and a balcony room sailing on a very similar itinerary. I also find it very interesting to read how other cruisers have enjoyed their balcony - sunset, sunrise, meals on the balcony, winds, smells, views, etc.

Thank you DaKa2002..what you said is all I intended to do..make a list of things that make the balcony experience, IMO ( again to all, IMO) the optimal way to cruise..did you read the comments on the last few pages here? Am I crazy or did they sound aggressive & off base? People are chiming in talking about inside cabins this, and inside cabins that..this thread is NOT about inside vs, balconies, or standard balcony vs. suites ...If you read thru the posters, many said they opt for or ONLY cruise in suites ..did I bash them for saying they thought you should only cruise in suites?? I wonder if all those negative posters went & sent them a post bashing those who like to cruise in suites and ONLY suites..at least that would make it fair...

I appreciate you telling others my tips & the advantages balconies have over non- balcony cabins..BTW, those ships that have no balconies also have virtually no amenities- no dining venues, few lounges, one pool with 2-3 hot tubs, etc..I get bored very fast on small/ medium size ships..now, it's 100,000 tons minimum and the last 3 I went on were 225,000 ( Oasis), 130,000 (Disney Dream), and 154,000 ( Liberty Of The Seas) tons..we go on 142,000 brand new Regal Princess next month, then the 142,000 Adventure Of The Seas in Nov..we like options in dining, entertainment, pools ( MUST have an adult pool - so nice not to have screaming kids at the pool)..also these ships have a wider variety of cabins, rather than the older ships, which is inside or window or suite...any questions about ships & cabins, let me know- I have cruised 30 times on RCI, Carnival, NCL, Disney, HAL, Princess & Celebrity..only Costa & MSC have eluded me, but I do ship tours too, and the MSC Divina is gorgeous & has some great deals from Miami to the Caribbean..Thanks again for your support!

Big Al

Thanks for your commentary..and that's just what this is- a "commentary" on balcony cabins & why I like them...the original idea was to give cruisers ideas on why a balcony is a good choice on a cruise...how you can enjoy it, and how to take advantage of the wonders of the sea with a balcony. Yes, I have strong opinions on this topic, along with specialty dining, entertainment & ports of calls ...but that's my job- I'm a cruise agent and I've been on RCI, NCL, HAL, Carnival, Disney, Celebrity & Princess..only major lines I have not cruised yet are Costa & MSC ( although I have toured the Divina, a magnificent ship..)...

BTW, I do NOT get commission from anyone here on Cruise Critic- where you get that idea, I'm not sure...I do NOT even have my company name ( which IS allowed, FYI) , nor WHERE I live ( not allowed), so how can I get commission?? Of course when someone calls me or contacts me for a cruise , I ask what kind of cabins are they interested in- normal info..as a matter of fact, today I booked a friend on a balcony on the NCL Getaway and the other couple, who are MILLIONAIRES, took an inside cabin!! I asked my friend why, and he said, "XX is very cheap, don't bother asking, I already have"..the man drives a $90,000 Mercedes & lives in a 5000 SF house in NJ worth $1.2 million...I didn't bother to ask them why they wanted an inside cabin, I just booked it..now, do you think this guy is cheap? Yes, I do- my father once said "if you can afford the Ritz- Carlton, but stay at the Best Western, you're either cheap or stupid"..

Also, an FYI, JS suites on RCI are 40-50% bigger than D1's or regular balconies..more important: they have a huge walk-in closet ( which women seem to love including my wife), a bigger bathroom including a tub, a bigger living room area, and a bigger balcony..whether it's worth an extra $1000, that's up to you..I try & get a JS when they are on sale..I got one for our Adventure Of The Seas cruise this November for $2000..D1's were $1700, so I thought the $300 was worth the upgrade for THIS cruise..also, NCL & Princess have mini suites that are sometimes only 20-25% ( like the new Breakaway, Getaway, Regal & Royal Princess )...

Your description in your first post is all I'm saying..that you LOVED your balcony on your first cruise...I can only think about a couple who booked 15 straight inside cabins with me over the last 10 years.. I tried, but they never listened to my argument..then one day, a balcony became available on a cruise they were booked on ( RCI Freedom Of The Seas), and it was $75 cheaper than the inside- I grabbed it & told this couple about the deal..amazingly, they said OK..fast forward to the day of the cruise, and they called me from their balcony during their sailaway and the woman said, " OK, I admit this is REAL nice, we've been sitting out here for 45 minutes watching all the action and now seeing the ship leave port..you were right- we will NEVER doubt you again"...that was 4 years ago, and now, balcony only for them..I even got them try a specialty restaurant & which also never did, and loved it...I know dozens of other clients who did the same thing...facts are, there are people who are cheap, some of them my friends & family- they CAN afford X, but choose Y because it's cheaper..if you are "less fortunate" you cannot be cheap, as you a good reason not to be able to afford something..if you are rich, well off, or very "fortunate" and do everything that's Less expensive", then you are cheap- period...like George on Seinfeld, who asks his girlfriend for change he paid at the toll booth that she didn't pay- that's cheap....

Hi. Just wanted to say that I didn't say you get commission.

Yes that was the point I was making. I certainly dont think your a snob for choosing and enjoying a balcony :D I have had a balcony and it WAS nice but hardly used - I didnt avoid it, it just worked out that way. So now I take the long view, start with an outside and see how much extra I would spend or save by moving up or down - the cruise I an looking at now has a £3000 pp increase between sea view and balcony (not suite!) I also consider variable others such as; how actively intense will the cruise be? Will I want to sit on a balcony in Northern europe in March? I would never say 'never', just as I would never say 'always and only'

OK I have just googled holiday entitlement by nation and I am completely horrified that Americans only get 2 weeks per year! Seriously, is there an online petition I can sign because it seems to me as a nation you are being taken advantage of in a big way. In my very ordinary service job, my minimum is 28 days, and I can build up an extra 10 days or so flexitime. So if I plan it right I could cruise 3 or 4 times a year. Just NOT in a suite!

28 days!!! In a service position... oh my. I'm moving! LOL. Yeah, it's rough. At least at my job I get the perk of being able to "purchase" an additional week's vacation. I didn't get to last open-enrollment, but I will definitely purchase another week for next year.

Ladies ( I think?)- I think you are being both unfair & rude to Big Al...have you also gone to the threads on inside cabins or suites and ridiculed them? If you read the posts on this thread ( 95% are glowing & positive, BTW..) , you will find that many have stated that they ONLY cruise in suites or above...why not mock them as well??

And for the record, my husband & I ARE both fairly poor AND cheap..we are cheap because we have to watch what we spend, so we hadn't been able to afford a balcony..in fact, we only could swing 3-4 night cruises in an inside cabin...I hated those dark & gloomy cabins..especially when we met some friends who invited us to their Junior Suite on a Carnival cruise ( that's all we could afford is Carnival), and wow- what a difference! And we sat out there on this HUGE balcony sipping drinks & watching the sea & white caps..

I didn't think we could EVER afford a balcony..then I got an e-mail from our travel agent about the MSC Divina last summer having a balcony cabin for a 7 night Eastern Caribbean, 2 people...$900 for both..that's like HALF what we were seeing for other cruise lines...then we saw Big Al's post here on CC and loved his ideas & suggestions..also the other posts were great, too...we went on the Divina and it was bliss...we were out there every morning, afternoon & evening, and yes, we had breakfast on the balcony on a sea day like Al suggested..my husband & I may not be able to swing a balcony every time we cruise, but now thanks to Big Al's post, we are going to try our hardest to save for our next cruise in a balcony..it may not be this year, but we will make it...have you read all the posts on this thread? If you haven't, shame on you for being one of the few who didn't like words like "poor" or "cheap"..you don't know people who are poor or cheap? Or rich & spend money like crazy? Or who are middle of the road? I do...I didn't take offense to any of this thread..actually I found it helpful & upbeat- unlike some others..this poor & cheapo is grateful to Al...

I'm sorry, how can you "shame" me for not liking the words poor and cheap? Or for not agreeing with someone's opinions? I personally have never attacked Al as a person, and have stated that I infact agree with his love of balconies. But I also have a brain and an opinions and don't think I have to be ashamed for not agreeing with the other 97% of posters. I personally wanted to get him to see the OTHER side of things. He's said over and over why he feels balconies are the greatest. But even in his response to me (I can only speak for myself), he's still pouring out HIS side of things. You can't go through life - or this blog, lol - only ever seeing one side of anything. That's all. I made my piece, I agree with what I agree with, and disagree with what I disagree with.

Edited by Brandywine_101

Katy- This thread is a commentary on a balcony cabin, not cabins in general..what do you think would've happened if I ( or someone else) posted a thread called "Thanks, inside cabin, a commentary", or worse, "Thanks suite cabins are THE only way to cruise" or similar? if I read a thread like those, I would EXPECT the OP to push inside cabins or suites...if you read a "Why I dine in the MDR" thread, I expect that poster to push dining in the MDR ...I have been called a moron, idiot, person who wastes money because I have stated that I like specialty dining venues and to me $20-35 PP is not that much to spend for a special night out..I believe my wife is worth a special romantic dinner- yet I have also been ridiculed for that...I never said balconies are the "only " way to cruise..if I did, it was tongue in cheek... very few have complained about my observations..in fact, I suggest you read the responses, which Cruisindiaz also mentioned...I remember her, and I was glad to help...of course not everybody needs to enjoy a cruise in a balcony..I had a great time on our first 7 nighter on the RCI Majesty Of The Seas..I just hated our inside cabin..119 SF & dark, cramped..bathroom was designed for 10 year olds ..never again for us...variety is the spice of life & to each his own...

It's just that you are coming across as a snob. I don't know why you can't see that? Even with the specialty dining. Spending $35 a night/pp on SD when you've already paid for a perfectly nice dinner which is included in the price of the cruise is YOUR CHOICE. To me that sounds extravagant. I did Chops for one night of our cruise, it was nice, but honestly, it wasn't much different than the my fair lady except my husband LOVED the colossal shrimp. It's again, a matter of perception as to what is "grandious" to every individual person. The thing is, it's perfectly okay to have opinions and strongly voice them. But it's also okay for others to differ from your opinion and you simply let it go. Just agree to disagree.

Edited by Brandywine_101

It's just that you are coming across as a snob. I don't know why you can't see that? Even with the specialty dining. Spending $35 a night/pp on SD when you've already paid for a perfectly nice dinner which is included in the price of the cruise is YOUR CHOICE. To me that sounds extravagant. I did Chops for one night of our cruise, it was nice, but honestly, it wasn't much different than the my fair lady except my husband LOVED the colossal shrimp. It's again, a matter of perception as to what is "grandious" to every individual person. The thing is, it's perfectly okay to have opinions and strongly voice them. But it's also okay for others to differ from your opinion and you simply let it go. Just agree to disagree.

I will agree to disagree..A few years ago, there was a thread called "For balcony snobs ONLY"...if you think I'm a balcony snob, that thread was ten times worse than me- these were people who have NEVER cruised ( nor WILL never ) cruise in anything other than a balcony, many in suites only...many commented how they didn't understand how others could cruise in anything other than a balcony....at least I have cruised in an inside, outside, balcony & Junior/ Mini suite...

I will not say anymore about specialty dining except it is NOT the food only you are paying for, it's the ambiance and the "special" night out..let me give an example- the first time we had a specialty dinner was in Le Bistro on NCL's Sun in 2001.My wife & I had already done about 7 cruises, and ate all our meals in the MDR..Unlike you, I found the food just OK, kinda like catered wedding food..not bad, certainly not memorable..we opted to try this new place called Le Bistro, a French restaurant.BTW, NCL was the first cruise to launch a specialty dining venue. First, they sat us a table with a window over-looking the sea and it was sunset & beautiful..right away, I noticed the venue had low lighting, soft music ( Streisand, Sinatra, Elton,etc.very nice) , and no bright lights, no loud passengers, no 200+ waiters criss crossing back & forth in front of you..then the magic words came from my wife's mouth- "Honey, this is sooo nice-table by the water, nice music & so romantic"..then we ordered- shrimp cocktail for her, escargots for me to start.BOTH were fantastic..your husband would've loved the shrimp- the size of bananas & sweet & juicy..my escargots were drenched in butter & garlic with a french baguette to dip in..caesar salad was next, then I had the NY Strip, my wife had the filet mignon, both came with grilled veggies & killer lyonnaise potatoes..we also had creamed spinach as a side dish- all 10x better than the MDR IMO..you can't even get lyonnaise potatoes or creamed spinach in the MDR ( maybe now, not then)..then for dessert, we opted for the Fruit Fondue, a carved out bottom of a pineapple filled with fruits and then dipped in a hot chocolate fondue ..to die for! All of this was $15 pp ( now still only $20)..as I said, you can't eat at Denny's for $15, and you certainly won't be sitting over-looking the sea ,either...we also had a meal at the Italian place called Il Adaggio..it was $10 pp & we ate Fried Calamari, garlic bread, salad, & chicken parmesan & pasta, & coffee & dessert for TEN dollars each ..there was no calamari or chicken parmesan in the MDR...when I dine on vacation, I like some meals to be special & outstanding..in 30 cruises I have had maybe ( maybe) a dozen dishes that were "outstanding & memorable"..the rest were "OK", "decent", "not bad"..BTW, I once booked a doctor on the RCI Freedom Of The Seas ( his 1st cruise), he & DW ate the first night in the MDR and promptly never ate there again, going to Chops & Portifinos ever night..after he returned I asked him what happened, and he replied "the food in the dining room was horrible..HORRIBLE! The Prime Rib was over-cooked & dry, sides were tasteless, and we had idiots at our table as well..we went to Chops & Portifinos the next 6 nights- so much better & you can't beat the table for 2 by the water"...I guess you & him would not agree on much,LOL...BTW, he has gone on 6 more cruises & still eats ALL his meals in $$ dining!!

"I will not say any more about specialty dining" followed by a VERY long paragraph about it.

Someone just likes to hear then self talk here (or see their words on a screen.) That is all it boils down to. Listening clearly isn't a reasonable expectation.

~Katy

What a great post you made! I sat here reading it - shaking my head in agreement with everything you wrote! We will be going on our 3rd cruise next week, and never even considered anything but a balcony room. We so enjoy just setting out there, we've seen dolphin, sea turtles - and just being able to enjoy the sea air with ALL of our senses....nothing compares. I so wish we lived closer to ports, we would cruise a LOT more often if we did! Thank you for sharing!:)

Thanks for your post. We couldn't have said it better. A balcony is the only way to go. We once booked an inside cabin trying to reduce our costs and what a mistake that was. Now, it is a balcony cabin or we just don't go. It is by far the most favorite part of our cruise experience!

Hey all, here are some more people you can attack for their opinions..I expect to see some of you call them snobs as well..."A balcony is the ONLY way to go"...I will be posting some more favorite posts since most of you have obviously not read them..

Just wanted to chime in again after my first cruise...the balcony upgrade was the best decision we made! We spent 75% of our cruise there... Like Al said, we enjoyed coming back to our room all the time because of the view. Saw my first wild dolphins when we docked at port Canaveral, and the best seats for sail away with the view of the Statue of Liberty. We would spend hours just tanning and enjoying the quiet of our private balcony. And yes, definitely helpful for figuring out the weather! "Well, it says 71 degrees but it feels windy, let's grab a sweater just in case..." Luckily ended up with a bed right by the balcony so we would relax with the door wide open-- who needs room air conditioning?? Thanks, balcony cabin!! :D :cool:

Edit: I had breakfast on our balcony as suggested, and highly recommend it!

Well I would like to say that I have been on 10 cruises so far and I have been looking and looking for dolphins, I have never seen anything other than the Cuban stowaways that we had to pick up.

Early in my cruise life back in 1993 we were in an inside cabin where there were upper and lower bunks it was small but didn't know any better and we were on a Cruise ship, it was the Carnival Carnivale, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread at the time - we were on a cruise ship yippee... So moving on I think 10 years passed and we are going on our second cruise (remember this is 2003 now) but my what a cruise ship it was - the Carnival Fascination well this is a big ship and now we are certainly moving up in the world. Again in an inside cabin because we didn't know any better and I too was not thrifty but I was cheap, but this one had two twin beds oh my it was lovely, again we saw the whole ship all around the clock because like Big Al says you just don't want to be closed in like that. Moving along two years later our cdn dollar wasn't worth much and there was a Nascar cruise with Dale Earnhardt Junior we had to go but it was 899.00 per person in an inside cabin and that was before taking our 45% currency exchange cut so it was very expensive for a 4 ngt cruise. Well now we truly entered the broom closet on the Majesty of the Seas(OMG). From that cruise on we have booked balcony cabins and oh my we were in fantasyland.

On our last two cruises we have been upgraded to Junior Suites and OH MY I will not only NEVER go on a cruise ship in an inside cabin and how spoiled I have been with a Junior Suite with a walk-in closet for my own dressing room, it will be hard to go back to a balcony. In either case breakfast on the balcony, watching all the last minute runners getting back to the ship watching for those infamous dolphins that I have yet to see, listening to the sea, smelling the air etc..it is all just wonderful and I love seeing other ships from a distance at night with all the lights on. Never again will I be in a broom closet.

Some more real good ones! Yep, I must be such a snob...

Hi Big Al,

Can I blame you for when I book a balcony this Saturday?

I can't remember anyone ever fully explaining what it is like to have a balcony on these boards before.

Have always cruised in inside cabins because I was just happy to be cruising!

Going to bite the bullet for my cruise to the Med this August.

Thank you!

I just got off my first cruise a few days ago, and we booked an outside cabin, because frankly, for 5 days, an extra $200 per person was just not in the budget. For my next cruise, though, I am going to book a balcony cabin. On our sea days is when I really wished we had had a balcony, because it was impossible to get a chair by the pool if you weren't there by 9 AM.

How anyone can stay in an inside cabin is beyond me-my DH and I are both claustrophobic, and when I saw the doors open on those rooms while they were being cleaned-I shudder to think of what that would be like. Meanwhile, I can look out my window at the sea, note how fast we are going, and on port days, wake up to find we are docked at Key West, or watch the ship pull in to Cozumel. Nothing like it, they just don't know what they are missing.

"How anyone can stay in a inside cabin is beyond me"..now there's a GREAT person to attack!!! Nice compliment from Shaza too...

Big Al,

thank you for your wonderful and informative posts. We have cruised for times, the next in six weeks, and we have always had balconies. Our first cruise I was very nervous about being on the ship. afraid that I would be sea sick or freaked out by the thought that there was a lot of water beneath me, but that was not the case. The balcony was our haven. I cried when we left the ship after the first cruise, it was that good. We will always have a balcony.

I am addicted, to cruising and balconies.

Thanks again for all of your comments, they are such fun to read.

I wasn't going to comment on this thread again until I saw MOONLIT SEAS... Since my cruise in December was my first, I was unaccustomed to the rocking of the ship and couldn't sleep one night (and maybe partially because I was so excited we were reaching our first port in a few hours!). Woke up at 3am and had to get up. Let me tell you... That moonlight on the ocean took my breath away! So serene and magical! I sat out there for about an hour, and repeated this a few other nights too! I was so glad that we ended up in a balcony (happy accident, because getting an inside was the original plan). Big Al speaks the TRUTH. I've been dying to cruise again ever since... You will not regret that balcony!! Enjoyyyyyy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Some more..."wonderful & informative posts"...from a snob, that is,LOL...BUT, I "speak the truth"...

Big Al, You are so right about the balcony! So glad you shared with all of us. My husband and I were just on the Celebrity constellation and got a balcony for the first time (2nd marriage for us and a delayed honeymoon). He went along with the booking because I said a balcony was non-negotiable. Well, now he is a happy guy loving the balcony so much we booked a balcony on the Reflection for March 2015. My brother and sister in law had an ocean view on the connie and were in our cabin more than they were in theirs! We had a great time, a great view and yes - the feel of the sea! Well said, Big Al.

Sue (and her balcony loving husband) Kevin

These are some of the reasons we love having a balcony, especially on the hump when one is available!

This is a great thread!

Happy cruising!

Thank you...

Big AL, You are going to ruin it for the rest of us. If everyone knows how great a balcony is everyone is going to want one. As I pass by inside cabins I always am thankful that there are those that chose to stay in a broom closet. Having said that, I agree with everything you say. Our (DH and I) first cruise was on the Carnival Inspiration. We took my parents as a Christmas present (we cruised in January). We both had Oceanviews, at the time I thought it was an indulgence over an inside cabin. Later that year Carnival was bringing out the Conquest which would be the biggest ship at the time and was offering special fares so we booked a balcony on the 6 night cruise before it began regular sailings. We have never looked back. As we sailed into the first port, our cabin was on the dock side, we sat on our balcony as we pulled in next to another Carnival ship with all their crew and many passengers watching. The Conquest felt SO big. That sold us on the Balcony. DH favorite thing to do is be on the balcony with his binoculars. In port or at sea, it doesn't matter. We have now taken 16 Carnival, 3 Princess and 4 NCL (including 2 transatlantic) most with various types of balcony cabins (a few smaller ships we have gone on with others and did not have the option of a balcony.)

To your list of items to take I would like to add Painters Tape. It has many uses, the most important of which is taping the room service menu on the mirror over the phone for the mid afternoon snack on the balcony.

Big Al, Don't know if your remember me but you talked me into a balcony for my very first cruise this past April. I traveled with 2 couples & was solo..at the time Carnival waived their solo fees & I got a great price....I loved..loved..loved the balcony...thank you...the one couple that always books inside upgraded to a balcony & now the husband wants to only cruise that way...they are veteran cruisers.....Well I am now hooked on cruising...If I didn't have to work for a living..wow I'd be cruising every other week. I am constantly surfing the web for solo supplement fees for cruises. Do you know if RCL does solo at any time. I enjoy Carnival but from your posting I think I would love to check out RCL & NCL......I am booked with a friend for NCL Epic in October to Europe (hopefully if the airfare comes down) balcony...she wanted inside to save money & I told her I can't travel that way..hehehehhe...so we shall see if we make this trip...it all depends on airfare because for the cost of airfare out of Des Moines to Rome is $1400..heck for that price I can take another cruise out of the states somewhere...Well just want to thank you for selling me on the balcony because I think this will be my only way of vacationing from now on...hopefully...:D

more terrible posts...

Boy , Big Al , you're like a walking encyclopedia of cruise ships , all this information ... How wonderful to have all these stats ... Do you have a regular column ?

What a great post, Big Al! I am taking my two adult daughters on what will be my first cruise next weekend on RCL. We initially booked an interior room due to cost, but I recently upgraded to a Superior Oceanview Balcony. Your post made me so happy that I did! You bring up excellent points that I could not have considered as I have no point of comparison. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences with the rest of us!

"What GREAT post"...somebody please attack!!!

Big Al,

I am taking my adult daughters on the Southern Caribbean route of the Jewel of the Seas. We were fortunate enough to get a Superior Oceanview Balcony on the 9th deck. One of my daughters has cruised several times. It is a first time experience for me and my other daughter. I have taken note of your suggestions for first time cruisers. Thank you for your insight and for such comprehensive posts to this site.

Hi Big Al- OUTSTANDING post...really well done! I met you on the Liberty Of The Seas about 18 months ago and you convinced us ( myself, Teresa & hubby Carlos..) right at the Meet & Mingle to book a balcony cabin next time out - we did, on the Allure, then the Disney Dream ( on your recommendation :)..), and now we are booked again next fall on the Celebrity Reflection, with your advice to thank for...NEVER again in the "broom closet" ;) ..one thing you were soooo right on about: you definitely enjoy your cabin more with a balcony to sit on!! We LOVED those sunsets and chilling with a drink late in the afternoon and watching the sea and all that goes on was so cool...we passed 6 or 7 ships and yes, we brought the binocs like you told us, and it was fun trying to see what cruise ship/ line it was...the Dream was FANTASTIC and the 2 bathrooms were great to have when getting ready to go out...loved Palo & shows were just terrific...thanks for the tips on the Dream..like you recommended, we will try Celebrity next, then we are looking at the NCL Getaway (also like you recommended..)..we may try the MSC Divina too..a few friends just got off her and said it was wonderful....hubby Carlos sends his regards...

Cruisindiaz ( Teresa)

Some people like my tips & advice...

I could not agree with you more i wouldnt have it no other way.

Balcony a must have.

I would like to add one thing that i noticed and now take into consideration when deciding what Balcony cabin i choose.

I like to have the evening shade especialy when there are a couple back to back sea days. Nothing worse than being up on deck all day in the sun enjoying the belly flop contest getting a nice burn and

going back down to the cabin for a shower then going out on the balcony and have a blistering caribbean sun beating on you.. (OUCH)..

on eastern caribbean i try to get on the starboard side so that on the way back i have evening shade.. beautiful sunsets on the way out ..and beautiful sunrise with cool evenings on the way in..

:cool:

"A must have"...

I said it earlier and I will say it again. On a large ship I would tend to agree that a balcony is an important tool to get away from the masses. However I'm guessing the the OP and 99.9% of the people on this thread have never been on a small ship ~350 people and under. If they had they would realize how unimportant a balcony is, particularly in a port intensive European itinerary. I would gladly (and have) give up a balcony for small ship cruising getting into ports that large ships can't get into or have to tender 50 miles away and bus people in.

Very weird...no mention of being a "snob" by anyone over the first 250 posts..no mention of being disrespectful...no mention of "rubbish" about my observations..in fact, anyone who slightly disagreed with me ( Alaska cruises & balconies) , I was fine with that, although others put their 2 cents worth...

Again , I URGE you to post these posters with negative waves and see what they say..to those who are intent on disagreeing with my observations & recommendations on balconies & cruises, fine , disagree, but this is a PRO- balcony ONLY thread..inside cabin people, window cabin people can start their own threads like others have done and ridicule the balcony & suites people..you have read yourselves, many say " balconies are the only way to cruise"..I expect to see you attack them & call them snobs & call them disrespectful ASAP...

Happy cruising, and Thanks, Cruise Ship Balcony!

Big Al

Cruise Planners

Very weird...no mention of being a "snob" by anyone over the first 250 posts..no mention of being disrespectful...no mention of "rubbish" about my observations..in fact, anyone who slightly disagreed with me ( Alaska cruises & balconies) , I was fine with that, although others put their 2 cents worth...

Again , I URGE you to post these posters with negative waves and see what they say..to those who are intent on disagreeing with my observations & recommendations on balconies & cruises, fine , disagree, but this is a PRO- balcony ONLY thread..inside cabin people, window cabin people can start their own threads like others have done and ridicule the balcony & suites people..you have read yourselves, many say " balconies are the only way to cruise"..I expect to see you attack them & call them snobs & call them disrespectful ASAP...

Happy cruising, and Thanks, Cruise Ship Balcony!

Big Al

Cruise Planners

Big Al there is a name for folks like you!

I said it earlier and I will say it again. On a large ship I would tend to agree that a balcony is an important tool to get away from the masses. However I'm guessing the the OP and 99.9% of the people on this thread have never been on a small ship ~350 people and under. If they had they would realize how unimportant a balcony is, particularly in a port intensive European itinerary. I would gladly (and have) give up a balcony for small ship cruising getting into ports that large ships can't get into or have to tender 50 miles away and bus people in.

I agree with you..probably 99% of the posters here have only done big ships..small ships have better food, service, more exotic ports, etc...BUT, small ships tend to be more $$, and remember, an average cruise per diem is about $ 75-175 PP per day for an inside to balcony cabin..smaller, more $$ ships can range up to $450-750 pp per day for a 7 nighter or longer type cruises..few can afford that..I priced a 7 night Crystal cruise for a friend & balcony for 2 was $10,000...most on CC think that anything past $4000 for 2 is a lot...Good points..Thanks for sharing!

I think someone is a bit full of themselves. Just saying.

I am a cruise agent for 18 years- I'm suppose to be "full of myself"..and again- noticed how NO ONE has called me that until lately..I am proud of my balcony thread & others like it as well..Adam Goldstein, CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruises, has e-mailed me 12x & even called me 3x for my reviews & posts on RCI..Chris Allen V.P. of Cruise Itineraries at RCI, also has asked for my thoughts & opinions on ports of calls..I don't know much in this world..Birth Control ( rep for 23 years in Pharma), Diabetes, 60's rock music & trivia, Jack The Ripper, the Titanic & Amelia Earhart I know a lot about..and cruise ships & kinds of balconies & how to enjoy them..THAT's it...those subjects if you discuss with me you will find I'm pretty versed in them..so, yes, in those subject areas, I'm "full of myself", and TG for that...

When people attack or are rude & salacious , I defend my position with evidence..the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...

13 comments attacking other posters.. I call that Rude! I have reported your endless attacks as I am sure others have as well.

Big Al - I have once before written to say how much I believe in your writings on the many advantages of a balcony. I agree that it is not the only way to sail, yet let me explain my position: I worked in underground missile control centers for three years; in command centers in the US and overseas for another 4+ years, all with no windows, no fresh air, no sunshine, and always with only one way in and out! At one assignment, we all ran outside during lunch breaks to look at the sun and "drink" in fresh air (because the sun came up after we went to work and was down before we got off work!). So far we have never sailed without a balcony; really wish we could - it would mean many more cruises on mainstream lines as well as some much smaller ships sailing into unique countries and harbors.

Yet it is a decision we make together - for our enjoyment! It is a choice. To all cruisers, no matter what type of cabins one choses for what ever reasons - may the seas be calm and the sunsets fabulous!