Thanks, cruise ship balcony!! A commentary..

big al

I agree with you 100%!!! I just recently found CC and I've been exploring the site and found your commentary- spot on. I also cruised interior cabin, then ocean view, finally graduated to the balcony and that was it- can never go back. That small private place where you can sit and relax with a drink or coffee (depending on time of day) in your bathrobe with that view is priceless!!

I have heard there are larger oceanview balcony's on oasis in some rooms. Does anybody know what room category or what location those are on the ship?

Average balcony stateroom on Oasis has a 53 SF balcony..do you mean larger balconies in REGULAR cabins, or bigger cabins, like Junior Suites, Grand Suites, etc...? The higher you go in Category, the bigger the balconies get..."hump" balconies are slightly larger, but much..JS are 78 SF, Grand Suites 114 SF, and so on...

Big Al

• 2 weeks later...

Big Al,

This is our first cruise. We are booked on Celebrity Reflection cabin 1290. Did we select a cabin that will give us a nice view and a good location as far as ease of getting to restaurants, pool, activities etc.?

Big Al,

This is our first cruise. We are booked on Celebrity Reflection cabin 1290. Did we select a cabin that will give us a nice view and a good location as far as ease of getting to restaurants, pool, activities etc.?

Congrats on your first cruise!! I have good news and bad news..the good news is you have chosen a fabulous ship for your first cruise!! The bad news is..I can't find cabin 1290 on the Reflection deck plans.. can you check again? looks like all the 1290ish cabins are on deck 10, but there is no 1290..there's 1291,1293, 1289, etc...

The main dining room is spread over 2 decks, #'s 3 & 4..and the main theater lounge is also decks 3,4,5..the specialty restaurants, which cost a little extra $$ ( you should try the Tuscan Grill, Murano's, or Blu - all terrific for a nice, romantic dinner!!) , are all on deck 5..pool deck & buffet are all on deck 14..so you are not really close to anything you mentioned, BUT, you don't wanna be...here's why: when you are really close to the public areas ( pool, dining room, theater, etc..) , it usually is, or can be, much noisier...you can take the stairs, or the elevators to all....your cabin is in the aft ( if you are indeed in the 1290's area..), so views will be good...don't forget to either print my suggestions out, OR write them down- like breakfast on the balcony on a SEA day, NOT a day in port...any questions about your 1st cruise, let me know..when are you going?

Big Al

Rejoice! I thank God that my family has been most privileged to be able to cruise, and to cruise in cabins with balconies! I think our experiences would have been most different.

Cabin 1388 on the Adventure of the Seas - Norwegian Fjords

[YOUTUBE]_AY9BwVSTHc [/YOUTUBE]

View of Milford Sounds (New Zealand) out of our balcony, in an aft JS.

[YOUTUBE]hfnzUcMudfg[/YOUTUBE]

On the Brilliance of the Seas JS 1100.

[YOUTUBE]H3_a4ST3K8U[/YOUTUBE]

Watching a ship very near the Celebrity Silhouette, from our balcony, as we tried to enter Dubrovnik port.

[YOUTUBE]_oIDR9H6ECc[/YOUTUBE]

Sailing away from Phu My Port (Vietnam)

[YOUTUBE]B4TFKiB4aTA[/YOUTUBE]

Gosh! So nostalgic.

Happy cruising everybody.

Work hard, cruise harder!

:):)

Rejoice! I thank God that my family has been most privileged to be able to cruise, and to cruise in cabins with balconies! I think our experiences would have been most different.

Cabin 1388 on the Adventure of the Seas - Norwegian Fjords

[YOUTUBE]_AY9BwVSTHc [/YOUTUBE]

View of Milford Sounds (New Zealand) out of our balcony, in an aft JS.

[YOUTUBE]hfnzUcMudfg[/YOUTUBE]

On the Brilliance of the Seas JS 1100.

[YOUTUBE]H3_a4ST3K8U[/YOUTUBE]

Watching a ship very near the Celebrity Silhouette, from our balcony, as we tried to enter Dubrovnik port.

[YOUTUBE]_oIDR9H6ECc[/YOUTUBE]

Sailing away from Phu My Port (Vietnam)

[YOUTUBE]B4TFKiB4aTA[/YOUTUBE]

Gosh! So nostalgic.

Happy cruising everybody.

Work hard, cruise harder!

:):)

Iluvcruising2- Great pics...thanks for the clips...I don't think we'll ever see YOU in an inside cabin, LOL...

Big Al

I loved reading your post, an in a way it seemed as if it was directed toward me. I would love to have a balcony cabin. If for no other reason than the extra room. The sea air and waves and such is great but we lived at the beach for 2 years and I went to the beach almost daily. So if I have to do with out that, it's okay. We love dining in the main dining room and getting to people watch. I am the kind of person who was only in the cabin when I had to be. My hubby is more laid back and wanted to sleep late and nap, I was up at 6am in the shower and ready to go by 7am. He would want to nap and I wanted to go explore. "No honey" I would tell him, "You can sleep when we get home". But that is the way I am on any vacation. But I am a stay at home mom and I don't get out much so when I do, I would rather do anything but sit in a room and watch him sleep. And you can't even really watch tv, and if the movie they are running non stop is one that you don't care for, then you are out of luck. But that being said, we have 6 children, all of which are going with us on this vacation and although my husband has a very good job and we are in no way needy, we can not spend 5 or 6 thousand dollars on a balcony cabin just a few months after Christmas when we spent almost that on Christmas gifts. So for all of us to be able to go as a family, maybe for the last time since I have 2 sons that are 17 and 18 and have girlfriends and college and such, we will take an inside cabin and enjoy my favorite part of cruising..the ship, the food, the people,and the entertainment and hopefully soon we can experience all of the things a balcony has to offer. Maybe even as soon as October when my DH and I go for our 20th wedding anniversary.

But thank you for your very informative post. It lets me know what we are missing..and I hope that we don't miss out much longer, but it is hubby who says "you are never in the cabin any way, there is too much to do. Why pay so much more when you are barely in it"? But I guess that is just how we cruise ...lol.

I loved reading your post, an in a way it seemed as if it was directed toward me. I would love to have a balcony cabin. If for no other reason than the extra room. The sea air and waves and such is great but we lived at the beach for 2 years and I went to the beach almost daily. So if I have to do with out that, it's okay. We love dining in the main dining room and getting to people watch. I am the kind of person who was only in the cabin when I had to be. My hubby is more laid back and wanted to sleep late and nap, I was up at 6am in the shower and ready to go by 7am. He would want to nap and I wanted to go explore. "No honey" I would tell him, "You can sleep when we get home". But that is the way I am on any vacation. But I am a stay at home mom and I don't get out much so when I do, I would rather do anything but sit in a room and watch him sleep. And you can't even really watch tv, and if the movie they are running non stop is one that you don't care for, then you are out of luck. But that being said, we have 6 children, all of which are going with us on this vacation and although my husband has a very good job and we are in no way needy, we can not spend 5 or 6 thousand dollars on a balcony cabin just a few months after Christmas when we spent almost that on Christmas gifts. So for all of us to be able to go as a family, maybe for the last time since I have 2 sons that are 17 and 18 and have girlfriends and college and such, we will take an inside cabin and enjoy my favorite part of cruising..the ship, the food, the people,and the entertainment and hopefully soon we can experience all of the things a balcony has to offer. Maybe even as soon as October when my DH and I go for our 20th wedding anniversary.

But thank you for your very informative post. It lets me know what we are missing..and I hope that we don't miss out much longer, but it is hubby who says "you are never in the cabin any way, there is too much to do. Why pay so much more when you are barely in it"? But I guess that is just how we cruise ...lol.

Thanks for your post..understandable about the $$ with taking your children..HOWEVER. your husband is wrong about "you are never in your cabin any way" concept...You are, in fact, in your cabin about 35-40 % of your time on a cruise..and I agree, if I had an inside cabin, I, too, would never be in a cabin..BUT, a balcony gives you that connection that insides for sure ( FOR SURE!) do not give you..I tell people, "if you don't use your balcony enough, shame on you, not the balcony itself"...like I have written many times, I go out on my balcony 5-6x every day...and BTW, it is a little different being ON the sea, rather than AT the sea...have him read my post, and more important- have him read what over 200 others have written back to me...

However, I'm not trying to argue with you ,especially about $$...family cruises are $$, I know.. I paid for a Spring Break cruise in '04 for 6 of us..but we had the balcony ( of course, LOL) and the 3rd adult ( my sister-in-law) stayed with her 15 yr. old son ( he was NOT too happy about that, LOL..), and 2 nieces stayed in an inside across from us...it cost me $7000 for the 6 of us..never again, though now they are young adults & making their own $$...I could convince your hubby to spring for a balcony in about 5 minutes..I am a cruise agent & ALL, after listening to me, have chosen a balcony, even a suite after I describe what they would miss in a balcony cabin..just promise yourself you WILL cruise the best way ONE DAY- enjoying the sea, and feeling "connected" to the cruise & the ocean -that IS something you will never experience in the "broom closet"..I know, I experienced it just once, and that did it for me & my wife..the first time we had breakfast on our balcony on a beautiful, clear morning on a sea day, also did us in- now we do that 2-3x during each cruise..talk about a connection to the sea! Sipping your coffee or tea with the salt air in your face & the morning sun out & dolphins swimming along side the ship right below your cabin- WOW! Thanks again for your post and have a great time on your family cruise- anything I can do or suggest, let me know and I'd be happy to give you suggestions on a 20th anniversary cruise..my 20th is in May, BTW....

Big Al

Thanks for your post! Our first cruise was an ocean view, but it's been a balcony since then. As you've said...there's nothing like it. We've previously cruised with the kids, but our youngest has just moved out (whooohoo!!) and we decided to take a cruise to celebrate all of our hard work...LOL.

One big surprise for my husband...I managed to book us an aft cabin!! It's our first time in an aft and I can't wait to see the expression on his face when he enters the cabin and finds out!

Will follow up to share our review. Thanks again for your post and...happy cruising to all!!

You can look forward to cruising in a balcony cabin at other times in the future....you hopefully will have many more cruises to take and take in a balcony. Enjoy the cruise with all of your children, there may not be many more times, when you will all be able to go as a family.....the older children will have college and then their own lives....so enjoy it....and it matters less right now that you are in an inside cabin as much as it matter that you enjoy cruising as a family!

Thanks for your post! Our first cruise was an ocean view, but it's been a balcony since then. As you've said...there's nothing like it. We've previously cruised with the kids, but our youngest has just moved out (whooohoo!!) and we decided to take a cruise to celebrate all of our hard work...LOL.

One big surprise for my husband...I managed to book us an aft cabin!! It's our first time in an aft and I can't wait to see the expression on his face when he enters the cabin and finds out!

Will follow up to share our review. Thanks again for your post and...happy cruising to all!!

Cucruizin- Hey, great move!! I surprised my wife for our 10th anniversary also with an aft Junior Suite on RCI's Adventure Of The Seas for a 7 night Southern Caribb cruise..she LOVED the bigger balcony AND the 50% bigger cabin w/ walk - in closet!! Aft cabins are more serene than side cabins & love seeing the wake & sunsets back there..please DO follow up & share how it went...Thanks, cruise ship balcony!!

Big Al

Thank you for your post, big al. It has reaffirmed what my research revealed. My son and his wife are taking me on my very first cruise! We have two balcony connecting staterooms in the Carnival Breeze. My grandson is also going and will be sharing a room with me. We have cabins 7416 & 7420, has anyone been in those before?

When the kids were little we had enough money to pay bills. As they got older and we made a little more, then it was the time we lacked. At one point we had the money and could have squeezed in the time but my husband was ill for a little over 10 years.

Sadly, my husband passed away last year; two months before our son’s wedding. They went on a cruise for their honeymoon and made me promise I would go on a cruise with them the following year. Well, the following year is now here and I had to honor my promise, in spite not quite being in the mood. Being disconnected from work was also giving me some anxiety attacks.

I was put in charge of selecting the cruise line, ship and destination. I did about a week’s worth of research; I wish I would have found this site before though. I was not given a budget, but knew I had to pick something reasonable that was not abusive to his pocketbook. I also knew I had to pick something that would be fun for my grandson.

I prepared spreadsheets with the information on the various ships, their age, entertainment, food, etc. Yes, I know, I have issues! :) I watched youtube videos of passengers that recorded and posted their experiences on each of the ships that made the spreadsheet based on cost and other factors. At first, affordable internet access was a must so I could stay in touch with the office. The more I read, the less important that became. Without noticing, I was actually getting excited about the trip and relaxing, for the first time in my adult life.

Our cruise is not until July and I can’t seem to want to talk about anything else. I know it is not a luxury liner but for someone who has never had a true vacation, it will likely be the best vacation ever. I have no excursions planned nor do I think I have interest in any. I just want to have the “cruise” experience and enjoy it fully.

My grandson has been on several cruises with his mom (my daughter). Her last cruise was around $2k for 5 people (8 days), needless to say she is speechless with what she considers my poor selection based on cost and claims balconies are overrated. Granted, they do at least one excursion at each port, in some, more. Ours is $4k, but I thought the age of the ship, the balcony and other amenities were important (at least for my first cruise).

Reading your post has left me with the impression that for not being an avid cruiser and this being my first one, I may not have done such a bad job. Being cost conscious, I’ll be packing our 3 allotted cheap bottles of Beringer white zinfandel (in case we feel like having a glass) and soda to consume in the room to minimize expenses. I’m not much of a drinker, but I’m having at least one Pina Colada, and I better get a cute umbrella on that drink! :)

Did I mention already how excited I am about my first cruise? If anyone had told me two months ago I would be this excited about something like this, I would have told them they were out of their mind!

I’ll be reading through other threads to see what else I can learn to maximize the fun for everyone and control cost. No doubt there is much to learn here; however, if someone can provide me with some links that would that, I would truly appreciate it.

Oh, and I’m definitely having my first cup of coffee delivered to the room on the second day (first sea day) at 5:30 am so I can sip it as I watch the sunrise from the balcony. :)

Aww, Misty, your post made me a little sniffly. Probably because it echos my own life in a lot of ways! My first cruise (March 8th!) Is my honeymoon; my dad passed away, and my mom is graciously watching my 7 year old so we can have a real, live grown up vacation, lol. We just booked a cruise for 2016 - so we can take my mom. :)

You get your cute little umbrella and your balcony and you enjoy it!!! ;)

Aww, Misty, your post made me a little sniffly. Probably because it echos my own life in a lot of ways! My first cruise (March 8th!) Is my honeymoon; my dad passed away, and my mom is graciously watching my 7 year old so we can have a real, live grown up vacation, lol. We just booked a cruise for 2016 - so we can take my mom. :)

You get your cute little umbrella and your balcony and you enjoy it!!! ;)

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, Kitten! :) I have no doubt you’ll make the 2016 cruise just as special for your Mom. The distraction and enjoying time with family will do her well.

My son and his wife took a cruise for their honeymoon as well. It was the first for my son. They had been boyfriend/girlfriend for over 7 years and never got to go far from home during that time.

He chose his partner in life very well; she is carrying and considerate beyond what you can possibly imagine. Truthfully, all three of our kids have chosen very well and I would be proud and fortunate to spend a vacation with any of them.

My youngest has never been on a cruise either. He can’t go this year due to the college classes he needs to finish before year end. If all goes well, I plan on taking him and his girlfriend on his first cruise next year. I started to save this week for that, just in case.

I just got off a ship tour of the NCL Breakaway..very nice ship, BTW...they had a dinner for us, and at the dinner I sat next to another cruise agent and we were discussing various cruise lines & ships...she mentioned she just got off the Carnival Dream and it cost her only XXX dollars..I said, "wow a balcony for only $xxx??"...she goes, "oh no, we always get an inside cabin"...I said, "Not me, I'm not spending a week in a broom closet, and you miss all the great things that come with a balcony..the whole feeling CONNECTED to the sea, the ship, the sky, the salt air, the marine life, the weather, other cruise ships passing....not to mention your own private verandah where you can read, sip a drink, fall asleep to the mesmorizing sounds of the sea, or just gaze out at the waves & white caps.." Funny, everybody at the table ( about 10 of us) said, "yeah, that sounds great, but I'm only in my cabin to sleep & shower"..."that's cause you have a terrible cabin- I would DREAD going back to that , and I did when we had an inside on the Majesty once...but now when I book a balcony, I can't WAIT to open the door and walk outside onto my private haven of sun & sea wonders...do you that when you open the door to your inside cabin?"....DEAD SILENCE.......I say it again- a balcony completely changes your whole experience on your cruise..those of you who have done both an inside & a balcony, please share your thoughts on the difference.....

Big Al

Oh what total rubbish.

So you base your liking of balconies on things that are AVAILABLE IN EVERY OTHER PART OF THE SHIP?! :) Do you really believe that pax who book insides are handed blindfolds and earplugs and solemnly told they are NOT ALLOWED to 'feel connected to the sea'? Did some cruise line tell you this to make you feel better about the premium you paid?

Nothing wrong with balconies, and of course some pax will need to book them - large families, health issues etc. What IS very wrong is snobbishly telling people they must book a balcony as its the only way to cruise 'properly'. Price IS a factor though, when you pay £800 for a balcony through the fjords (stunning) which you step on half a dozen times max, and the nice couple next to you at dinner paid £350 for their inside.... well, it makes you think. Next cruise I saved a fortune on an outside cabin I was hardly ever in.

So you didnt feel there was anything to look forward to in going back to your inside cabin? Err, what exactly do you look forward to about going to your bedroom at home? All the best memories of my cruises - the view of the wake from the MDR! The helicopter the buzzed sailaway! The 180 degree turn through Olden fjord from the prow of the ship! The blood moon from the sky deck! The submarine that appeared on the starboard side! The late night stroll right round the prom deck in the St Petersburg White Nights! - have all been out of the cabin.

Conversely on of the most boring was waiting for a tour to depart and being stuck on my balcony with a view of the container port because I was on the 'wrong' side of the ship

I notice you seem to be somehow connected to the cruise industry, and have put a link to this thread in a post on reasons to avoid the MDR. I cant decide if this balcony big-up is prompted by a desire for commision, or an intense social phobia? :D

Oh what total rubbish.

So you base your liking of balconies on things that are AVAILABLE IN EVERY OTHER PART OF THE SHIP?! :) Do you really believe that pax who book insides are handed blindfolds and earplugs and solemnly told they are NOT ALLOWED to 'feel connected to the sea'? Did some cruise line tell you this to make you feel better about the premium you paid?

Nothing wrong with balconies, and of course some pax will need to book them - large families, health issues etc. What IS very wrong is snobbishly telling people they must book a balcony as its the only way to cruise 'properly'. Price IS a factor though, when you pay £800 for a balcony through the fjords (stunning) which you step on half a dozen times max, and the nice couple next to you at dinner paid £350 for their inside.... well, it makes you think. Next cruise I saved a fortune on an outside cabin I was hardly ever in.

So you didnt feel there was anything to look forward to in going back to your inside cabin? Err, what exactly do you look forward to about going to your bedroom at home? All the best memories of my cruises - the view of the wake from the MDR! The helicopter the buzzed sailaway! The 180 degree turn through Olden fjord from the prow of the ship! The blood moon from the sky deck! The submarine that appeared on the starboard side! The late night stroll right round the prom deck in the St Petersburg White Nights! - have all been out of the cabin.

Conversely on of the most boring was waiting for a tour to depart and being stuck on my balcony with a view of the container port because I was on the 'wrong' side of the ship

I notice you seem to be somehow connected to the cruise industry, and have put a link to this thread in a post on reasons to avoid the MDR. I cant decide if this balcony big-up is prompted by a desire for commision, or an intense social phobia? :D

Congratulations! Yours is the FIRST negative post on this thread, negating, apparently, the hundreds of others who loved it & agree with me- you know what they say, "there's always one in the group"..

You are so wrong in some many areas..first, I do NOT have a view of the Caribbean from my bedroom, and maybe you do, but most people LOVE seeing the sea from their private verandah..seeing the sea with some privacy is similar than eating in the MDR with 1000-1500 people- not all want to dine with loads of people in a loud, bright, impersonal room with mediocre food...not all want a dark, boring, cave-like cabin on their only vacation for the year..BTW, I eat in the MDR 80% of the time, and I'm fine with that- I don't expect it to be "special" or "outstanding", just decent..options is what cruising today is all about..options in dining, options in choice of accommadations, options in entertainment, excursions, etc. It's up to each person to choose what they want, or can afford.

If you really look forward to going back to your inside cabin, then go..I couldn't stand going back there..what was about it you liked so much? Was it the darkness? No sunshine? No salt air to smell? No breakfast to have delivered to your balcony on a sea day over looking the Caribbean sea? No dolphins swimming down below next to your cabin following the ship? Sure, you can see these things from some other places on the ship, but if you don't think it's special seeing all this from the privacy of your balcony, fine..but others do..just read the other 200+ posts on here..like I have mentioned before, if you go to a hotel where you have a choice of rooms and room A has a balcony on the 10th floor over-looking the beach & ocean, and room B has a view of the parking lot or garbage dump- both are the same size..if the difference is affordable I would choose the balcony on the 10th floor, most would too, except the poor, the cheap, or the "I don't care I'm just sleeping here" type...MANY people save for one really nice vacation, especially in America, where vacations for some are 1-2 weeks a year...why not cruise in style? I once booked a couple who decided at the last minute to do a back-to-back Eastern/Western cruise with friends..I had booked them in a balcony for the original cruise, but the week after the only thing left was an inside cabin, which they took..after the cruise I called them & asked about the cruise..I asked how was the balcony cabin & they loved it..when asked about the inside cabin, they both said it was dark, "mole-like", and would never book one again...the wife sarcastically said, "oh yeah, it was so wonderful in there, we had great views of the walls & bathroom"..

A final point- I'm not sure what your point was about getting commission regarding dining in specialty venues other than the MDR..puzzling statement.I do not get anything from anyone on CC..it is against the rules to promote yourself OR your agency....but yes, I'm a cruise agent and do NOT work for any cruise co. I'm an independent agent & if you looked at my data, I've been on CC for 14 years, posting 2600+ times..I have cruised on RCI, HAL, Carnival, Princess, Celebrity,Norwegian & Disney ( 30 cruises so far) and have toured over 50 ships..If you read ( obviously you didn't) many of the previous posts on here you will see you are not only in the minority, you are, in fact, the only poster who disagrees with my thread..I think that what I have always said- "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or of the one" is appropriate here..why don't you comment on all the others who have posted here and see what kind of reaction you get..good luck with your belief..

Oh what total rubbish.

I just had to come back here and stand up for Al! I'm happy for you that you enjoyed your inside room, Sea Green, but it is not everyone's cup of tea, and definitely not that of the ones who have posted on this thread. Those who disagreed did so in a respectful manner, whereas you are coming off as patronizing and sarcastic-- ironic, as you are calling Al a snob :eye roll: I'm not rich by any means, and I've only taken one cruise so far. I don't judge anyone who doesn't care to stay in a balcony. My experience was amazing and had the dolphins and the fresh air and all the other things Al has mentioned. We spent the bulk of our time in our room to get away from noisy kids, to talk, to relax in our own shade. We woke up on restless nights and just stared at the sea from the comfort of our room-- no need to even leave the comfort of our space. It really was a little piece of heaven, and I can't wait to save up so I can do it again (I'm HOOKED). But that's ME, and that's a lot of others on this thread. So we ask that you don't JUDGE US either. It doesn't make Al a snob to share his opinion, and I'm not a fool for choosing what you wouldn't have. We are just different. The negativity is unwelcome here.

Really hoping you are just a troll, or perhaps that there is some misunderstanding of tone... Happens a lot on the interwebz! Good luck and cruise well, regardless!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My first cruise was in an oceanview cabin, because the difference between the oceanview and a balcony for only 5 nights was $200pp, not worth it in my opinion. On the cruise we took last month, the difference between oceanview and a balcony was only $20, so naturally I booked the balcony, and we loved it! I got to watch the sunrise over Costa Maya and Cozumel, the sun set shortly after we left Cozumel, the mountains of Cuba, the sea air and breeze, all from the privacy of my own balcony, with no one else around to bother me or interrupt my solitude. To each his own, and there is no reason to berate someone for paying the extra money for a balcony if they enjoy it, just as I would never berate someone for only booking an inside cabin, something I would never do. I only tell people who do that, have you tried at least an oceanview? I am someone who needs sunshine, a view, a window at least. I do spend time in my room, and I can't imagine being in what is essentially a closet for several days, I would rather not cruise. But if that doesn't bother the person traveling, more power to them.

Congratulations! Yours is the FIRST negative post on this thread, negating, apparently, the hundreds of others who loved it & agree with me- you know what they say, "there's always one in the group"..

You are so wrong in some many areas..first, I do NOT have a view of the Caribbean from my bedroom, and maybe you do, but most people LOVE seeing the sea from their private verandah..seeing the sea with some privacy is similar than eating in the MDR with 1000-1500 people- not all want to dine with loads of people in a loud, bright, impersonal room with mediocre food...not all want a dark, boring, cave-like cabin on their only vacation for the year..BTW, I eat in the MDR 80% of the time, and I'm fine with that- I don't expect it to be "special" or "outstanding", just decent..options is what cruising today is all about..options in dining, options in choice of accommadations, options in entertainment, excursions, etc.

It's up to each person to choose what they want, or can afford. This is exactly the opposite of what youve been saying?!

If you really look forward to going back to your inside cabin, then go..I couldn't stand going back there..what was about it you liked so much? Was it the darkness? No sunshine? No salt air to smell?

OK, if you actually read my reply you would see I have NEVER sailed in an inside - only outsides and a balcony I was too busy to use. And I traded DOWN from a balcony after trying it

No breakfast to have delivered to your balcony on a sea day over looking the Caribbean sea?

Err, I would never get room service, = restricted choice and likely to be cold and stewed by the time it arrives. If I want to eat AL Fresco I'll go to the buffet and take it on deck for even MORE of a view! So this argument holds no water

No dolphins swimming down below next to your cabin following the ship? Sure, you can see these things from some other places on the ship, but if you don't think it's special seeing all this from the privacy of your balcony, fine..but others do..just read the other 200+ posts on here..like I have mentioned before, if you go to a hotel where you have a choice of rooms and room A has a balcony on the 10th floor over-looking the beach & ocean, and room B has a view of the parking lot or garbage dump- both are the same size..if the difference is affordable I would choose the balcony on the 10th floor, most would too, except the poor, the cheap, or the "I don't care I'm just sleeping here" type

Of course they would, but if the difference is double the price you have to make the sensible decision since you'll spend no more time in room A than room B, and for most of that you'll be asleep anyway

...MANY people save for one really nice vacation, especially in America, where vacations for some are 1-2 weeks a year...

If thats true there are some serious work/time regulations going on! UK leave is 5 or 6 weeks. I go on vacation 3 or 4 times a year, NOT because I am rich (I earn below average salary), special or clever, just a bit of careful planning. One of the things that allows me to do that is not booking a balcony

why not cruise in style? I once booked a couple who decided at the last minute to do a back-to-back Eastern/Western cruise with friends..I had booked them in a balcony for the original cruise, but the week after the only thing left was an inside cabin, which they took..after the cruise I called them & asked about the cruise..I asked how was the balcony cabin & they loved it..when asked about the inside cabin, they both said it was dark, "mole-like", and would never book one again...the wife sarcastically said, "oh yeah, it was so wonderful in there, we had great views of the walls & bathroom"..

Where I said that people shouldn't book balconies or wouldnt like them? Of course theyll feel the difference going from a balcony to an inside in the same trip! In my post I actually gave reasons why people SHOULD book balconies! My only issue is with you sneering at other peoples choices and mocking them as 'poor' and 'cheap' because YOU claim that balconies are the only way to travel? Im wise enough not to be swayed by this, but there are others who would pay money they could ill afford, or be embarrassed if they could 'only' afford an inside because they listen to comments like that and take them to heart. This has actually upset me!

The aim of the game is to be on the ship. Doesnt matter where you sleep! I would never dream of saying to a balcon-eer that they have more money then sense, or that cruising and staying in your cabin is the equivilent of driving to Disneyland and just staying in your car.

A final point- I'm not sure what your point was about getting commission regarding dining in specialty venues other than the MDR..puzzling statement.I do not get anything from anyone on CC..it is against the rules to promote yourself OR your agency....but yes, I'm a cruise agent and do NOT work for any cruise co. I'm an independent agent & if you looked at my data, I've been on CC for 14 years, posting 2600+ times..I have cruised on RCI, HAL, Carnival, Princess, Celebrity,Norwegian & Disney ( 30 cruises so far) and have toured over 50 ships..If you read ( obviously you didn't) many of the previous posts on here you will see you are not only in the minority, you are, in fact, the only poster who disagrees with my thread..I think that what I have always said- "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or of the one" is appropriate here..why don't you comment on all the others who have posted here and see what kind of reaction you get..good luck with your belief..

Never suggested you were touting for business here on CC. However if you are a cruise professional, and you can cajole / mock / bully as many people as possible into booking the most expensive cabins, the industy as a whole will benefit, so by default you must benefit.

Whatever, enjoy your future cruises. Just please try to be a little more respectful and sensitive to your shipmates? :)

I just had to come back here and stand up for Al! I'm happy for you that you enjoyed your inside room, Sea Green, but it is not everyone's cup of tea, and definitely not that of the ones who have posted on this thread. Those who disagreed did so in a respectful manner, whereas you are coming off as patronizing and sarcastic-- ironic, as you are calling Al a snob :eye roll: I'm not rich by any means, and I've only taken one cruise so far. I don't judge anyone who doesn't care to stay in a balcony. My experience was amazing and had the dolphins and the fresh air and all the other things Al has mentioned. We spent the bulk of our time in our room to get away from noisy kids, to talk, to relax in our own shade. We woke up on restless nights and just stared at the sea from the comfort of our room-- no need to even leave the comfort of our space. It really was a little piece of heaven, and I can't wait to save up so I can do it again (I'm HOOKED). But that's ME, and that's a lot of others on this thread. So we ask that you don't JUDGE US either. It doesn't make Al a snob to share his opinion, and I'm not a fool for choosing what you wouldn't have. We are just different. The negativity is unwelcome here.

Really hoping you are just a troll, or perhaps that there is some misunderstanding of tone... Happens a lot on the interwebz! Good luck and cruise well, regardless!!

Hi cruisebear,

No I'm not a troll :D I'd never dream of criticizing anyones choice of cabin. And I'd have no problem with the thread if it was framed as 'we like balconies, heres why they work for us, but we know others do things differently' My only problem with Als (many) posts is him telling people in very nasty terms that balconeys are the only way to go and if they book an inside they are cheapskates who have missed out on a proper cruise. (Now theres patronising for you!) As I said to Al, some people will take this to hear and be very upset by it. Hope this explains my thinking a bit better :)

My first cruise was in an oceanview cabin, because the difference between the oceanview and a balcony for only 5 nights was $200pp, not worth it in my opinion. On the cruise we took last month, the difference between oceanview and a balcony was only $20, so naturally I booked the balcony, and we loved it! I got to watch the sunrise over Costa Maya and Cozumel, the sun set shortly after we left Cozumel, the mountains of Cuba, the sea air and breeze, all from the privacy of my own balcony, with no one else around to bother me or interrupt my solitude. To each his own, and there is no reason to berate someone for paying the extra money for a balcony if they enjoy it, just as I would never berate someone for only booking an inside cabin, something I would never do. I only tell people who do that, have you tried at least an oceanview? I am someone who needs sunshine, a view, a window at least. I do spend time in my room, and I can't imagine being in what is essentially a closet for several days, I would rather not cruise. But if that doesn't bother the person traveling, more power to them.

Cruisebear84 & kimlovesfl- Thank you for your support & defense!! My post is a COMMENTARY/ Opinion on "cabin selection tips"..there is no "tip" in selecting an inside cabin...I was merely making some suggestions for those who were either debating on choosing a cabin, OR for those who were taking their first cruise in a balcony..as a cruise agent, it is my job to explore all possibilities-inside, window, balcony or suites ( there are 4 cabin categories in general)..I always suggest a balcony because I feel it is the best option & deal for a first cruise..I also believe if people say money is not an issue, then I discuss suites...if the couple is on a tight budget, then inside or window cabins might be best..BUT, I have also seen where an inside is only $150 less than a balcony, which is $75 pp or $10 a day pp...it's all numbers & value..I got hooked on my first balcony on Princess in 2000 after 4 straight cruises in insides or windows..never again for me..I thought I would share some ideas on how to ENJOY your balcony & enhance the experience..that was my intent from the start..I thought I did that pretty well & I think others did ,too...

Big Al

I replied to this post earlier on and I agree it is somewhat bully~ish but, I understand that it is an opinion..and nothing more..but the comment by OP that says that only poor or cheap people book inside cabins was very uncalled for.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE to cruise..I love the different types of food..the sail away parties..the shows..the coordinated activities and the ports are ok too. When I book a cruise I tell the agent.."I don't care where it goes, I go for the ship, not the ports" (My hubby does like to see new places though) We are foodies..I dream about the wonderful food, and the music..I love the activities..Ok I love everything!! And if you told me I could go on 3 cruises a year and stay in an inside cabin or 1 every 2 years and book a balcony..I would pick an inside every time..are we poor?..NO. My husband works hard and does a great job providing for our family..but we have 6 children and I love to give them things so I have to choose..My husband and I could go and book a balcony cabin for 2 with no problems..but I want to to take my children and to book a balcony for 8 people is just not an option. Does that make us cheap? No, it makes us smart. We could go into debt to "keep up with the Jones'" or we could all enjoy a nice affordable vacation together as a family and I can still pay the bills when I get home and buy my son a new XBOX1 or New Laptop and my daughter a nice Prom Dress..So just because someone is choosing to do it differently than you does not make you right and them wrong..or poor or cheap..and it is sad that the OP thinks that way. Seems a bit shallow..

I am decideing what to do its tough inside balcony or outside balcony ocean or people and shows

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

FYI- With a few exceptions, most shows are free..on NCL, there is a dinner show that costs a little $$, but all others are free...when you book a cruise, look at the cost PER DIEM, that is , the cost per day per person...I.E., an inside cabin for a 7 night cruise costs say, $1200..that's $200 a day for the cabin, and $100 pp per day..a balcony cabin on that same cruise may cost $1800, or about $257 per cabin per day, and $ 128.50 pp per day..so you are paying about $28 per person per day more for the better cabin...if you want to save $$, or you are on a tight budget, take an inside or windows cabin...if you want to be "wowed" and experience your vacation with breathtaking views, feeling the salt air & wind on your face & get a little bit of a private sanctuary right outside your cabin, take the balcony...my personal feeling on this is we save every dollar we can & always go for the best cabin I can get..if we can't swing it, we don't cruise...I won't spend my cruise vacation in a mole, when for a few $$ more, I can be happy..that's me- ALL who have listened ( just read the posts on from the beginning) have agreed...similarly, if I went to a beach resort and had a choice of a room with great views of the beach or ocean, and another room with a view of the garbage dump, I will pay the extra $$ and spring for the cool views..if I can't swing a decent view, I won't go...we LOVE hanging out on our balcony, while others say, "we're never in the cabin"..I wouldn't be in my cabin if it were an inside, either...just MHO..

Big Al

I replied to this post earlier on and I agree it is somewhat bully~ish but, I understand that it is an opinion..and nothing more..but the comment by OP that says that only poor or cheap people book inside cabins was very uncalled for.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE to cruise..I love the different types of food..the sail away parties..the shows..the coordinated activities and the ports are ok too. When I book a cruise I tell the agent.."I don't care where it goes, I go for the ship, not the ports" (My hubby does like to see new places though) We are foodies..I dream about the wonderful food, and the music..I love the activities..Ok I love everything!! And if you told me I could go on 3 cruises a year and stay in an inside cabin or 1 every 2 years and book a balcony..I would pick an inside every time..are we poor?..NO. My husband works hard and does a great job providing for our family..but we have 6 children and I love to give them things so I have to choose..My husband and I could go and book a balcony cabin for 2 with no problems..but I want to to take my children and to book a balcony for 8 people is just not an option. Does that make us cheap? No, it makes us smart. We could go into debt to "keep up with the Jones'" or we could all enjoy a nice affordable vacation together as a family and I can still pay the bills when I get home and buy my son a new XBOX1 or New Laptop and my daughter a nice Prom Dress..So just because someone is choosing to do it differently than you does not make you right and them wrong..or poor or cheap..and it is sad that the OP thinks that way. Seems a bit shallow..

As you said, it's just my opinion about balconies & cruising..certainly you are in a position that is different from most- most don't have 6 children, and most don't vacation with 6 ( 8 including parents) , so being budget wise, is normal..I cannot afford a huge suite ( sometimes I've sprung for a Junior or Mini -suite on sale) , but if you look carefully & pick a time that's cheaper, you can find great sales on balconies..I am going to assume you usually cruise when school is out on vacation- that puts you at a HUGE disadvantage, because prices skyrocket when kids are on vacation..as I mentioned in an earlier post, I did that once, in 2004 when I took 2 nieces & 1 nephew, along with my wife & her sister all on a spring break cruise..we got a balcony & I got 2 insides across us for them..as an agent , I get pretty good discounts PLUS I can pay myself commission for the 6 of us..I always encourage people to go for the balcony cabin, then work my way down, or up. I have friends who are cheap, poor, well off, and in the middle..I book ALL income levels on all cruise lines at all times of the year...to show you how rare you are, I have never, in 18 years of being a cruise agent, ever booked a family of 8..6 was the biggest, and that has happened only twice..I never meant to imply you were cheap or poor...simply put, I encourage people to get the best cabin they can afford, or is available...BTW, last October ,my wife turned 60 and we took a family cruise on the RCI Oasis of The Seas. There were 4 adult couples..since it was her birthday, I opted for a Junior Suite, along with one of her sisters & hubby..I should also mention that we got married late, in our 40's & no children...it cost around $2200 for the cabin..another sister took a standard balcony cabin 10 doors down for $1600...the last couple was my niece & new hubby, both young & a bit strangled for money..I found out that the inside cabins were going for $1300, and I could get her a balcony for $1450, only $15 pp per day more...she took the balcony for 2 reasons: first, she agreed $15 was not a big deal, but more important & second, she wanted to experience the whole balcony thing, remembering how much she loved sitting on our balcony as a teen on that spring break cruise 10 years earlier..she told me they were planning on starting a family & didn't know when, if ever, they could afford to cruise again..she is now awaiting their first child in July...

Again, sorry if you felt I was calling you "poor" or "cheap"..facts are, some people are cheap, or poor..I know, they have told me they are, and that's OK..I offer all options to all, explain advantages & disadvantages of all, and go from there. I also help them with excursions, give them spreadsheets on facts on the ship, make a list of things "not to miss" on the ship & cruise, and often send a thank you gift to their cabin for using me ( either a bottle of wine, or a cabin credit to use on the cruise..)...I am very passionate about cruising, very passionate about balcony cabins, as well as trying specialty restaurants ( that's another subject..), so I'll try & appear less snobbish to those who may not be able to enjoy these things like I do...

Big Al