Thanks, cruise ship balcony!! A commentary..

big al

Big Al,

This is a great thread and I'm so glad you took the time to start it. I'm in agreement with you that a balcony is wonderful. We always have one and we personally think it enhances our overall cruise experience.

Cruising is a wonderful way to travel. Cruising with a balcony is makes it even better. Just my opinion.

Having a balcony is optional. There is no right or wrong about it.

Smooth sailing and calm seas on your next cruise!

Big Al,

This is a great thread and I'm so glad you took the time to start it. I'm in agreement with you that a balcony is wonderful. We always have one and we personally think it enhances our overall cruise experience.

Cruising is a wonderful way to travel. Cruising with a balcony is makes it even better. Just my opinion.

Having a balcony is optional. There is no right or wrong about it.

Smooth sailing and calm seas on your next cruise!

Thanks, JimOk1945! If you look a few posts back you will see some have rather strong or harsh comments to say...the reason for this thread, was to "thank cruise ship balconies" for making my cruise so wonderful..if others want an inside cabin or window, that's fine..some like suites...I try & get the best I can afford for everything for vacations..best room in a hotel, best restaurant I can swing, etc...you said it very well- cruising with a balcony just makes it better! Happy cruising!!

Big Al

Big Al,

I have followed most of this thread and wholeheartedly agree with your observations on how wonderful a balcony room can be. I also took your comments in a most positive way.

Our story: Our first cruise was in an oceanview stateroom on HAL - and it was a nice room but uncomfortable for me. After that experience, it has always been a balcony room. If we can't afford a balcony, we wait another year, or two, so that we can.

Yet there is another reason - it is safety. I was taught to always have an out; the concept applies to defensive driving; never face the back of the restaurant when seated for dinner; know where the exits are in a plane, in a theater; be aware of your surroundings.

Just my 2 cents!

Big Al,

I have followed most of this thread and wholeheartedly agree with your observations on how wonderful a balcony room can be. I also took your comments in a most positive way.

Our story: Our first cruise was in an oceanview stateroom on HAL - and it was a nice room but uncomfortable for me. After that experience, it has always been a balcony room. If we can't afford a balcony, we wait another year, or two, so that we can.

Yet there is another reason - it is safety. I was taught to always have an out; the concept applies to defensive driving; never face the back of the restaurant when seated for dinner; know where the exits are in a plane, in a theater; be aware of your surroundings.

Just my 2 cents!

Very good points regarding safety & having an out...again, like I have said, would you get a hotel room without a window? Not me...also, thanks for saying "observations" regarding how wonderful a balcony can be...that was what this thread was about...sharing observations & suggestions to enhance your cruise experience from an agent, a cruiser ( # 31 in April on Princess) , and a person who was cruised all 4 categories- inside, outside, balcony & suites...great post!

Big Al

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry have to say I am another poster who is rubbed the wrong way by this thread, big als posts in particular. Nothing wrong with the original POST. But coming back again and again to beat the SAME points over the head with the exact same words over and over is a little overboard. It sounds like an infomercial, and IDK about you, but I'm not a fan of infomercials. They're annoying.

I also think that your opinion on inside cabins is biased. As Sea Green, I have enjoyed MANY of the experiences you seem to think are exclusive to balconies, even while I was booked in an inside cabin. Perhaps part of it is that we were on Carnival, and the insides are larger than the outside cabins on some other lines.

I understand that when you were in an inside cabin technology was not what it is today. When my husband and I were in an inside cabin I spent PLENTY of time in the cabin. We had quite a bit of rain that week. But all I had to do was turn on the deck cam and see if it was wet or dry out. And keeping my eye on that allowed my to easily get a deck chair on the serenity deck (sometimes one of those awesome big circular ones) where I was able to relax, and enjoy many of the things you suggest are balcony only experiences, like seeing other cruise ships in the distance. Or eating out in the open air. Or "feeling connected to the ocean" (I tend to book cabins where I will feel more motion, just cause I like it.) Staring off into the water. An inside cabin is also pretty useful for my husband who gets migraines, and the pitch black is a HUGE benefit on that front.

I think the BIGGEST example, Al, of how you are PUSHY in this thread and not simply stating an opinion, is when the posted indicated they do not book balconies because of cancer and insisted that YOU KNOW BETTER THAN THEM what is right for their health. Are you their doctors? You do realize UV rays bounce off the sea and even in the shade you can get a significant amount of sun exposure.

The fact that you can't gracefully say "Yes I can appreciate why that would make an inside/outside cabin a better choice for you" you instead always reply, reiterating your personal reasons for preferring balconies. We GOT that. In the first post. And THAT is why you come across as PUSHING your opinion rather than just stating it.

We get it. You don't understand why people would choose to not sail with a balcony. You don't have to understand. That's why it is an opinion, because everyone gets to have a different one.

~Katy

When we ( DW & I ) took our first 3 of our 29 cruises so far, on the Carnival Sensation ( ’95) , the RCI Majesty Of The Seas ( ’96 ) and Carnival Paradise ( ’98) , there literally were almost NO balconies on cruise ships yet except for the very rich. They were called “suites”. I called them “cabins of the Gods”…And, like many, I was…cheap..there, I said it!! CHEAP..not “thrifty” or “careful with my money”…CHEAP..a cabin is just for sleeping, right? That was what I thought..more on that later...our Carnival cabins on both cruises were outside window cabins, about 185 square feet . But our inside cabin on the Majesty was a puny 122 sq ft- wow, that was tight! In fact, so tight, that I knocked my tiny wife ( 4’11” & 102 lbs.) down no less than 6 times during our cruise as we were trying to walk about inside our mole-like cabin!! I am 100 pounds heavier than her, and 10 inches taller…she didn’t have a chance. We realized that while we were going to get ready for dinner, or to go out, one person must be in the bathroom ( yeah, that was enormous ,too, LOL..) , while the other person got ready/ dressed. We had a great time on all 3 cruises, but I can tell you one thing: we never looked forward to going back to our cabins like we do now…even the Carnival window cabins had small portholes that you had to climb up on a ledge over the bed to see out- not easy nor fun for 40 somethings already…

Then in 1999 we were invited to preview the brand new Princess ship, the Grand Princess. At 109,000 tons she was, at that time, the biggest, newest, most innovative cruise ship in the world ( Carnival Destiny was the first ship to surpass 100,000 tons in ’96) . Princess gave us Carte Blanche to tour the ship on our own. She was lovely, and soooo much bigger than the 70,000- 73,000 ton ships we had been on before. But the real eye-opener was when we toured the cabins and saw our first balcony cabin …WOW!!!! It was a beautiful sunset evening in Fort Lauderdale and as my wife & I went out on our first balcony ever, we were breathless! “Oh my God”, said my wife, “look at this view..it’s so amazing!!” . There was one thing we both noticed immediately: we FELT the water! We FELT the salt air. We FELT the wind. Our 5th wedding anniversary was coming up in 6 months ( May 2000 ) , and my wife said, “why don’t we book a balcony for our anniversary and see if we like it?”. We did, we loved it, and now, sadly for my VISA/ Master Charge or AMEX, we are hooked on balconies for life. Thanks, cruise ship balcony! And here is why:

The Connection

A balcony cabin can make you feel connected to the sea and makes you feel like you’re on a cruise!! Would you book a hotel room without a window? What’s the point of being on a ship if you can’t see the ocean passing your stateroom? Having a balcony completely changes the type of cruise you will have. Water is very therapeutic, and sitting out in the open air and reflecting is a great way to start or wind down the day. I am almost in a trance while out there, especially on those gorgeous days at sea on the Caribbean or Mediterrean. It is mesmorizing, isn’t it? Sure, the mountains, hiking, nature walks, even the Grand Canyon are great, but to me, nothing comes close to sitting on a lounge chair on my balcony and watching the waves & white caps, and seeing the birds swoop down and get a fish, or seeing dolphins swim along side the ship right below you, while the cool sea breezes caress your face & body with that soothing salt air….Wow, what a rush!! I am out there NO less than 5-6 times a day, even if for only a minute, to be part of the sea experience. Thanks, cruise ship balcony!

Convenience & Privacy

We all know that sail away parties can be a blast, and for me, it signifies the start of my cruise vacation. But sometimes to jockey for space ( like we tried to do on a recent cruise on the Allure Of The Seas) on the top deck with thousands of other people, is difficult. Doing it from your own balcony just makes more sense. Another great time to appreciate a balcony is on a sea day. I love sea days because they truly are for relaxing. Like most passengers, we go to the pool deck, be it the adult pool area, or if they don’t have one, the main pool area. We get there usually by 9 or 10 AM to get chairs in a decent location. Like others, we enjoy being at sea, reading, listening to my IPOD, checking out the people, listening to the Caribbean band ( one of my fav things to do- to me, the reggae band is part of the cruise experience!) , having a tropical drink or adult beverage, etc. Lunch, then more fun in the sun. The sun can really take a lot out of you, and after 5 or 6 hours in the heat, we usually head back to our cabin to detox a bit. I can tell you this: I was NEVER in a hurry to get back to our “broom closet” inside cabin because there was nothing to see or feel in there. But now, when I walk to open my cabin door, I can’t wait to get in there and check out what’s happening at sea!!! Sometimes there were other cruise ships out there and I would take my binocs ( standard for balcony use for me!) and check out what ship it was. Or maybe you were passing a beautiful island…maybe the white caps have picked up a bit…but getting back to opening the door to our cabin, it’s so nice after 5-6 hours of hearing sometimes thousands or even just hundreds of people having fun on the pool deck, the band, the NOISE, etc…then you walk into your cabin, and the calmness and quiet hits you- it’s so tranquil..and then you walk out onto your balcony and just hear the waves, the ocean breezes , feel the warm salt air….aaaahhh…finally, if you’re a couple, nightime brings another dimension…many leave the balcony doors open to hear, smell & feel the sea at night…the rest you can use your imagination, I’m sure!!! A cabin as you can see, or imagine, is not just for sleeping & showering…if you have a non-balcony cabin, look what you’re missing!! Thanks, cruise ship balcony!

Open Air Dining

Open air dining? Yes, please! Sure, you can go upstairs and dine with all the others, sometimes 1000-2000 people, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But sometimes you just want to breakaway from the crowds, order room service ( which is included in your cruise fare ) , and enjoy breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and even a late night snack on a private table for two . With 24 hour room service, any meal can be enjoyed on your balcony. You don’t even have to order room service. You can go to the main dining room, or your favorite specialty venue and take the meal to go..food, wine or your favorite beverage, the sun, or moonlight, alone, or with company, just you & the sea..magical!! Thanks, cruise ship balcony!!

The Weather and unexpected wonders

It’s always nice to know what the weather is like before you head out for the day.When my wife & I had our inside cabin, I ordered room service ( pretty boring in a dark 122 Sq ft cabin), ate, then got into our swimming outfits to go to the pool deck on our first sea day..we emerged from our mole-like cabin and discovered that NO, we were not going to sun bathe that day as the sun deck had turned into a rain deck. We were the only idiots standing at the doors of the pool deck ready for nothing…

Another thing that you miss out on if you don’t have a balcony- a thunderstorm. As long as you are not on some small boat or vessel, a thunderstorm at sea is one of the most awe inspiring things I’ve ever seen. And I was able to experience it because of one thing- my balcony. It is really an amazing sight to see the dark clouds form in the horizon, and the lightening, not to mention the waves rising ( not too high, don’t worry!)…it almost looks like the clouds are bending down to meet the sea..it is powerful, beautiful, and sometimes frightening, but very, very cool! Thanks, cruise ship balcony!!

Conclusion

Balconies are like cruising- they’re addictive… the late Robert Palmer said it so well in his 1986 song, “Addicted To Love”…I would change the words & title and say, “no doubt about it you’re addicted to balconies”….there is one thing balconies are not good for, my wife tells me- your hair. But I think most would trade a good hair day for a relaxing day at sea on your balcony. But still, ladies, trust what my wife says, leave the curling iron at home, LOL…

And finally, if you find yourself thinking about booking your first balcony on a cruise, you might hear this from the Gods Of Verandahs whispering a line similar to a line in the movie, Field Of Dreams..” If you book it, you will love it”…Thanks, cruise ship balcony!!

Big Al

“Won’t You Let Me Take You On A Sea Cruise”

OMG, such a great narrative! My DH and I took our first cruise ... just last week, and I was adamant that I wanted a balcony. Like you I feel like what's the point of being on a ship and not able to see and breathe the water? Plus I knew I'd never make it in a broom closet, too claustrophobic. So the DH agreed to the small added expense (truly it's not that much of a price difference, especially if you book early and plan monthly payments or budget the amount ahead of time and save). The hubs is now as hooked on cruising and having a balcony as I am. We made MUCH use of our balcony (sorry neighbors), lol. We sat out there either together or alone and just relaxed. We had breakfast delivered at 7 am and watched the water go by. It was also great to wake up on each port day to new sights and sounds. The first thing we did was go onto the balcony to check out the new surroundings. It was lovely. I'm so missing it now, sitting in my office, in 10 degree weather watching the snow dry on my boots. Ugh. I can't wait to get back to the ship... any ship... and to my beloved balcony!

Oh what total rubbish.

So you base your liking of balconies on things that are AVAILABLE IN EVERY OTHER PART OF THE SHIP?! :) Do you really believe that pax who book insides are handed blindfolds and earplugs and solemnly told they are NOT ALLOWED to 'feel connected to the sea'? Did some cruise line tell you this to make you feel better about the premium you paid?

Nothing wrong with balconies, and of course some pax will need to book them - large families, health issues etc. What IS very wrong is snobbishly telling people they must book a balcony as its the only way to cruise 'properly'. Price IS a factor though, when you pay £800 for a balcony through the fjords (stunning) which you step on half a dozen times max, and the nice couple next to you at dinner paid £350 for their inside.... well, it makes you think. Next cruise I saved a fortune on an outside cabin I was hardly ever in.

So you didnt feel there was anything to look forward to in going back to your inside cabin? Err, what exactly do you look forward to about going to your bedroom at home? All the best memories of my cruises - the view of the wake from the MDR! The helicopter the buzzed sailaway! The 180 degree turn through Olden fjord from the prow of the ship! The blood moon from the sky deck! The submarine that appeared on the starboard side! The late night stroll right round the prom deck in the St Petersburg White Nights! - have all been out of the cabin.

Conversely on of the most boring was waiting for a tour to depart and being stuck on my balcony with a view of the container port because I was on the 'wrong' side of the ship

I notice you seem to be somehow connected to the cruise industry, and have put a link to this thread in a post on reasons to avoid the MDR. I cant decide if this balcony big-up is prompted by a desire for commision, or an intense social phobia? :D

I think everyone enjoys different aspects of a cruise, well, differently. For me, I enjoyed going up on the pool deck, eating in the wj as well as my dinner every night in MDR or a specialty restaurant. But I also, dearly loved going back to my stateroom, knowing the balcony door was open, and looking forward to the breeze hitting me when I opened the door, then laying down and relaxing on the bed our sofa and decompressing after being with hundreds of people. I think people have to decided what's important and affordable to them and learn to enjoy that. I would LOVE to book a Grand or Royal suite...but I simply can't afford that. I did look at the Jr. Suite, just last night, but my husband soundly pointed out that it's only marginally larger than the D1 Balcony we have booked now and is it really worth the $1000 difference. No, actually, it's not. Maybe someday when we're both retired with nothing else to do but happily cruise the world (looking forward to that, truly). But for now, I'll just have to be happy with the top-tier of balconies. Does that make me a snob? I don't know. I would completely understand my daughter and her friend's choice for an inside or outside cabin, they're young, will truly hardly be in their cabin and perhaps it's a waste for them. But I loved being in my cabin... just as I love being in my bedroom. I couldn't imagine being in a room with no windows, no natural light... it's weird and suffocating to me. Does that make me a snob? I don't think so. Again, I think it's about what you can afford. Maybe this Big Al is pushing balconies for commission, but one thing about it, he's not wrong about the experience. If you can afford it, you should experience it, at least once. Just my two cents.

Edited by Brandywine_101

Never suggested you were touting for business here on CC. However if you are a cruise professional, and you can cajole / mock / bully as many people as possible into booking the most expensive cabins, the industy as a whole will benefit, so by default you must benefit.

Whatever, enjoy your future cruises. Just please try to be a little more respectful and sensitive to your shipmates? :)

After reading this, I kind of see your point a bit. You are taking issue with the fact that people may read Al's post and feel badly about not being able to afford a balcony. And you're saying, it's okay NOT to have a balcony and you can still have a good time/cruise experience without one. I see that and you are correct as well. I repeat what I said... IF you can afford it, try the balcony. Also, keep in mind that you keep saying "you'll hardly spend time in your cabin". Again, that is not necessarily true for everyone. Lots of people... especially those seasoned cruisers who've been there, seen that, enjoy their cabins. I'm not a seasoned cruiser yet, but I totally enjoyed mine and am looking forward to enjoying it again. And in America... yeah, we typically only get 2 weeks vacation unless we're a big-wig in a corporation. I'm not. I get 2 weeks. One I use for my DH and I, the other for time with our grands. So vacation time is very precious to us.

As you said, it's just my opinion about balconies & cruising..certainly you are in a position that is different from most- most don't have 6 children, and most don't vacation with 6 ( 8 including parents) , so being budget wise, is normal..I cannot afford a huge suite ( sometimes I've sprung for a Junior or Mini -suite on sale) , but if you look carefully & pick a time that's cheaper, you can find great sales on balconies..I am going to assume you usually cruise when school is out on vacation- that puts you at a HUGE disadvantage, because prices skyrocket when kids are on vacation..as I mentioned in an earlier post, I did that once, in 2004 when I took 2 nieces & 1 nephew, along with my wife & her sister all on a spring break cruise..we got a balcony & I got 2 insides across us for them..as an agent , I get pretty good discounts PLUS I can pay myself commission for the 6 of us..I always encourage people to go for the balcony cabin, then work my way down, or up. I have friends who are cheap, poor, well off, and in the middle..I book ALL income levels on all cruise lines at all times of the year...to show you how rare you are, I have never, in 18 years of being a cruise agent, ever booked a family of 8..6 was the biggest, and that has happened only twice..I never meant to imply you were cheap or poor...simply put, I encourage people to get the best cabin they can afford, or is available...BTW, last October ,my wife turned 60 and we took a family cruise on the RCI Oasis of The Seas. There were 4 adult couples..since it was her birthday, I opted for a Junior Suite, along with one of her sisters & hubby..I should also mention that we got married late, in our 40's & no children...it cost around $2200 for the cabin..another sister took a standard balcony cabin 10 doors down for $1600...the last couple was my niece & new hubby, both young & a bit strangled for money..I found out that the inside cabins were going for $1300, and I could get her a balcony for $1450, only $15 pp per day more...she took the balcony for 2 reasons: first, she agreed $15 was not a big deal, but more important & second, she wanted to experience the whole balcony thing, remembering how much she loved sitting on our balcony as a teen on that spring break cruise 10 years earlier..she told me they were planning on starting a family & didn't know when, if ever, they could afford to cruise again..she is now awaiting their first child in July...

Again, sorry if you felt I was calling you "poor" or "cheap"..facts are, some people are cheap, or poor..I know, they have told me they are, and that's OK..I offer all options to all, explain advantages & disadvantages of all, and go from there. I also help them with excursions, give them spreadsheets on facts on the ship, make a list of things "not to miss" on the ship & cruise, and often send a thank you gift to their cabin for using me ( either a bottle of wine, or a cabin credit to use on the cruise..)...I am very passionate about cruising, very passionate about balcony cabins, as well as trying specialty restaurants ( that's another subject..), so I'll try & appear less snobbish to those who may not be able to enjoy these things like I do...

Big Al

Al, maybe it's the use of the words "cheap" and "poor" people are taking offense to? I happen to agree with you on the balcony debate, but I have to be honest, to repeatedly read your opinions - and they are strong opinions - on this topic and see that you repeatedly use derogatory-sounding terms such as "poor" does make it seem like anyone who can't afford a balcony is sub-par and shouldn't even bother to cruise. Like you keep saying "if I cant afford a balcony I don't cruise" or "if I can't afford a hotel room with a great view, I stay home". As if you can't enjoy cruising or a hotel on less. The options are plenty for both... you don't have to have a view of a dumpster just because you don't have a view of the ocean (referring to your hotel example). You can have a view of the park or parking lot and still have a good time on your trip. Just like you can have NO VIEW in an inside room on a cruise and still have a nice trip. It's perspective. And just because you would never choose an inside, your strong view is making it seem as if anything less than "balcony" is "poor". And also, then use of the words "cheap" and "poor" are offensive. How about "frugal" and "less fortunate", something along those lines? Here's a true story (then I'm done). I was a single mom raising 5 kids on my own until I remarried. I was blessed to always have a decent paying job, but with 5 kids taking vacations was a challenge. I was never able to take them to Disney or on a cruise. They're all grown up now and two of them still have never been on a plane. But, if you asked them how their childhood was, they'd tell you GREAT! They'd tell you about all the trips and adventures they went on as kids. All the places they've seen, and road trips we've taken. Guess what? Most of those great trips were right in our home state! I used to take them to hotels for the weekend... making sure of course there were pools and free breakfast. We'd stay all weekend and have a great time. Or when I could, we'd take road trips to Washington DC, Virginia and Maryland. We'd hit all the museums and fun places, stay in "okay" hotels with pools and breakfast... and they never knew it. Only until they got older did they realize they weren't rich, lol! We even laugh about it now, because they would tell me how they though we had it so nice. They'd get a week out of school for a road trip and come back and tell their friends all about it. The point is, they had great times even on mom's budget. Would I have liked to take them on planes and cruises, sure. But I couldn't afford it and as it turns out, they are no worse off for it. So just a little perspective there. It's not what you have, but what you do with what you have that counts.

O am a mom of 2 we r scouts soost of your vacations are in a tent with 20 or so boys so any cruise is nice. Our first was an inside wirh an autistic kid was worried what would happen . This time we r balcony. But if its to much for my son any cruise is better then a tent. And a break from doctors and insurance is awesome. But i do what i want and u di what u want and this is getting stupid . We all live different lives so on and so forth. Kids, retired, money ,no money , we all want a vacation

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

OMG, such a great narrative! My DH and I took our first cruise ... just last week, and I was adamant that I wanted a balcony. Like you I feel like what's the point of being on a ship and not able to see and breathe the water? Plus I knew I'd never make it in a broom closet, too claustrophobic. So the DH agreed to the small added expense (truly it's not that much of a price difference, especially if you book early and plan monthly payments or budget the amount ahead of time and save). The hubs is now as hooked on cruising and having a balcony as I am. We made MUCH use of our balcony (sorry neighbors), lol. We sat out there either together or alone and just relaxed. We had breakfast delivered at 7 am and watched the water go by. It was also great to wake up on each port day to new sights and sounds. The first thing we did was go onto the balcony to check out the new surroundings. It was lovely. I'm so missing it now, sitting in my office, in 10 degree weather watching the snow dry on my boots. Ugh. I can't wait to get back to the ship... any ship... and to my beloved balcony!

I think everyone enjoys different aspects of a cruise, well, differently. For me, I enjoyed going up on the pool deck, eating in the wj as well as my dinner every night in MDR or a specialty restaurant. But I also, dearly loved going back to my stateroom, knowing the balcony door was open, and looking forward to the breeze hitting me when I opened the door, then laying down and relaxing on the bed our sofa and decompressing after being with hundreds of people. I think people have to decided what's important and affordable to them and learn to enjoy that. I would LOVE to book a Grand or Royal suite...but I simply can't afford that. I did look at the Jr. Suite, just last night, but my husband soundly pointed out that it's only marginally larger than the D1 Balcony we have booked now and is it really worth the $1000 difference. No, actually, it's not. Maybe someday when we're both retired with nothing else to do but happily cruise the world (looking forward to that, truly). But for now, I'll just have to be happy with the top-tier of balconies. Does that make me a snob? I don't know. I would completely understand my daughter and her friend's choice for an inside or outside cabin, they're young, will truly hardly be in their cabin and perhaps it's a waste for them. But I loved being in my cabin... just as I love being in my bedroom. I couldn't imagine being in a room with no windows, no natural light... it's weird and suffocating to me. Does that make me a snob? I don't think so. Again, I think it's about what you can afford. Maybe this Big Al is pushing balconies for commission, but one thing about it, he's not wrong about the experience. If you can afford it, you should experience it, at least once. Just my two cents.

Thanks for your commentary..and that's just what this is- a "commentary" on balcony cabins & why I like them...the original idea was to give cruisers ideas on why a balcony is a good choice on a cruise...how you can enjoy it, and how to take advantage of the wonders of the sea with a balcony. Yes, I have strong opinions on this topic, along with specialty dining, entertainment & ports of calls ...but that's my job- I'm a cruise agent and I've been on RCI, NCL, HAL, Carnival, Disney, Celebrity & Princess..only major lines I have not cruised yet are Costa & MSC ( although I have toured the Divina, a magnificent ship..)...

BTW, I do NOT get commission from anyone here on Cruise Critic- where you get that idea, I'm not sure...I do NOT even have my company name ( which IS allowed, FYI) , nor WHERE I live ( not allowed), so how can I get commission?? Of course when someone calls me or contacts me for a cruise , I ask what kind of cabins are they interested in- normal info..as a matter of fact, today I booked a friend on a balcony on the NCL Getaway and the other couple, who are MILLIONAIRES, took an inside cabin!! I asked my friend why, and he said, "XX is very cheap, don't bother asking, I already have"..the man drives a $90,000 Mercedes & lives in a 5000 SF house in NJ worth $1.2 million...I didn't bother to ask them why they wanted an inside cabin, I just booked it..now, do you think this guy is cheap? Yes, I do- my father once said "if you can afford the Ritz- Carlton, but stay at the Best Western, you're either cheap or stupid"..

Also, an FYI, JS suites on RCI are 40-50% bigger than D1's or regular balconies..more important: they have a huge walk-in closet ( which women seem to love including my wife), a bigger bathroom including a tub, a bigger living room area, and a bigger balcony..whether it's worth an extra $1000, that's up to you..I try & get a JS when they are on sale..I got one for our Adventure Of The Seas cruise this November for $2000..D1's were $1700, so I thought the $300 was worth the upgrade for THIS cruise..also, NCL & Princess have mini suites that are sometimes only 20-25% ( like the new Breakaway, Getaway, Regal & Royal Princess )...

Your description in your first post is all I'm saying..that you LOVED your balcony on your first cruise...I can only think about a couple who booked 15 straight inside cabins with me over the last 10 years.. I tried, but they never listened to my argument..then one day, a balcony became available on a cruise they were booked on ( RCI Freedom Of The Seas), and it was $75 cheaper than the inside- I grabbed it & told this couple about the deal..amazingly, they said OK..fast forward to the day of the cruise, and they called me from their balcony during their sailaway and the woman said, " OK, I admit this is REAL nice, we've been sitting out here for 45 minutes watching all the action and now seeing the ship leave port..you were right- we will NEVER doubt you again"...that was 4 years ago, and now, balcony only for them..I even got them try a specialty restaurant & which also never did, and loved it...I know dozens of other clients who did the same thing...facts are, there are people who are cheap, some of them my friends & family- they CAN afford X, but choose Y because it's cheaper..if you are "less fortunate" you cannot be cheap, as you a good reason not to be able to afford something..if you are rich, well off, or very "fortunate" and do everything that's Less expensive", then you are cheap- period...like George on Seinfeld, who asks his girlfriend for change he paid at the toll booth that she didn't pay- that's cheap....

Sorry have to say I am another poster who is rubbed the wrong way by this thread, big als posts in particular. Nothing wrong with the original POST. But coming back again and again to beat the SAME points over the head with the exact same words over and over is a little overboard. It sounds like an infomercial, and IDK about you, but I'm not a fan of infomercials. They're annoying.

I also think that your opinion on inside cabins is biased. As Sea Green, I have enjoyed MANY of the experiences you seem to think are exclusive to balconies, even while I was booked in an inside cabin. Perhaps part of it is that we were on Carnival, and the insides are larger than the outside cabins on some other lines.

I understand that when you were in an inside cabin technology was not what it is today. When my husband and I were in an inside cabin I spent PLENTY of time in the cabin. We had quite a bit of rain that week. But all I had to do was turn on the deck cam and see if it was wet or dry out. And keeping my eye on that allowed my to easily get a deck chair on the serenity deck (sometimes one of those awesome big circular ones) where I was able to relax, and enjoy many of the things you suggest are balcony only experiences, like seeing other cruise ships in the distance. Or eating out in the open air. Or "feeling connected to the ocean" (I tend to book cabins where I will feel more motion, just cause I like it.) Staring off into the water. An inside cabin is also pretty useful for my husband who gets migraines, and the pitch black is a HUGE benefit on that front.

I think the BIGGEST example, Al, of how you are PUSHY in this thread and not simply stating an opinion, is when the posted indicated they do not book balconies because of cancer and insisted that YOU KNOW BETTER THAN THEM what is right for their health. Are you their doctors? You do realize UV rays bounce off the sea and even in the shade you can get a significant amount of sun exposure.

The fact that you can't gracefully say "Yes I can appreciate why that would make an inside/outside cabin a better choice for you" you instead always reply, reiterating your personal reasons for preferring balconies. We GOT that. In the first post. And THAT is why you come across as PUSHING your opinion rather than just stating it.

We get it. You don't understand why people would choose to not sail with a balcony. You don't have to understand. That's why it is an opinion, because everyone gets to have a different one.

~Katy

Hi Katy,

That is exactly how I felt! There is no one 'right' way to do things, even from cruise to cruise. Unfortunately not everyone sees things that way

After reading this, I kind of see your point a bit. You are taking issue with the fact that people may read Al's post and feel badly about not being able to afford a balcony. And you're saying, it's okay NOT to have a balcony and you can still have a good time/cruise experience without one. I see that and you are correct as well. I repeat what I said... IF you can afford it, try the balcony. Also, keep in mind that you keep saying "you'll hardly spend time in your cabin". Again, that is not necessarily true for everyone. Lots of people... especially those seasoned cruisers who've been there, seen that, enjoy their cabins. I'm not a seasoned cruiser yet, but I totally enjoyed mine and am looking forward to enjoying it again. And in America... yeah, we typically only get 2 weeks vacation unless we're a big-wig in a corporation. I'm not. I get 2 weeks. One I use for my DH and I, the other for time with our grands. So vacation time is very precious to us.

Yes that was the point I was making. I certainly dont think your a snob for choosing and enjoying a balcony :D I have had a balcony and it WAS nice but hardly used - I didnt avoid it, it just worked out that way. So now I take the long view, start with an outside and see how much extra I would spend or save by moving up or down - the cruise I an looking at now has a £3000 pp increase between sea view and balcony (not suite!) I also consider variable others such as; how actively intense will the cruise be? Will I want to sit on a balcony in Northern europe in March? I would never say 'never', just as I would never say 'always and only'

OK I have just googled holiday entitlement by nation and I am completely horrified that Americans only get 2 weeks per year! Seriously, is there an online petition I can sign because it seems to me as a nation you are being taken advantage of in a big way. In my very ordinary service job, my minimum is 28 days, and I can build up an extra 10 days or so flexitime. So if I plan it right I could cruise 3 or 4 times a year. Just NOT in a suite!

Thanks for your commentary..and that's just what this is- a "commentary" on balcony cabins & why I like them...the original idea was to give cruisers ideas on why a balcony is a good choice on a cruise...how you can enjoy it, and how to take advantage of the wonders of the sea with a balcony. Yes, I have strong opinions on this topic, along with specialty dining, entertainment & ports of calls ...but that's my job- I'm a cruise agent and I've been on RCI, NCL, HAL, Carnival, Disney, Celebrity & Princess..only major lines I have not cruised yet are Costa & MSC ( although I have toured the Divina, a magnificent ship..)...

BTW, I do NOT get commission from anyone here on Cruise Critic- where you get that idea, I'm not sure...I do NOT even have my company name ( which IS allowed, FYI) , nor WHERE I live ( not allowed), so how can I get commission?? Of course when someone calls me or contacts me for a cruise , I ask what kind of cabins are they interested in- normal info..as a matter of fact, today I booked a friend on a balcony on the NCL Getaway and the other couple, who are MILLIONAIRES, took an inside cabin!! I asked my friend why, and he said, "XX is very cheap, don't bother asking, I already have"..the man drives a $90,000 Mercedes & lives in a 5000 SF house in NJ worth $1.2 million...I didn't bother to ask them why they wanted an inside cabin, I just booked it..now, do you think this guy is cheap? Yes, I do- my father once said "if you can afford the Ritz- Carlton, but stay at the Best Western, you're either cheap or stupid"..

Also, an FYI, JS suites on RCI are 40-50% bigger than D1's or regular balconies..more important: they have a huge walk-in closet ( which women seem to love including my wife), a bigger bathroom including a tub, a bigger living room area, and a bigger balcony..whether it's worth an extra $1000, that's up to you..I try & get a JS when they are on sale..I got one for our Adventure Of The Seas cruise this November for $2000..D1's were $1700, so I thought the $300 was worth the upgrade for THIS cruise..also, NCL & Princess have mini suites that are sometimes only 20-25% ( like the new Breakaway, Getaway, Regal & Royal Princess )...

Your description in your first post is all I'm saying..that you LOVED your balcony on your first cruise...I can only think about a couple who booked 15 straight inside cabins with me over the last 10 years.. I tried, but they never listened to my argument..then one day, a balcony became available on a cruise they were booked on ( RCI Freedom Of The Seas), and it was $75 cheaper than the inside- I grabbed it & told this couple about the deal..amazingly, they said OK..fast forward to the day of the cruise, and they called me from their balcony during their sailaway and the woman said, " OK, I admit this is REAL nice, we've been sitting out here for 45 minutes watching all the action and now seeing the ship leave port..you were right- we will NEVER doubt you again"...that was 4 years ago, and now, balcony only for them..I even got them try a specialty restaurant & which also never did, and loved it...I know dozens of other clients who did the same thing...facts are, there are people who are cheap, some of them my friends & family- they CAN afford X, but choose Y because it's cheaper..if you are "less fortunate" you cannot be cheap, as you a good reason not to be able to afford something..if you are rich, well off, or very "fortunate" and do everything that's Less expensive", then you are cheap- period...like George on Seinfeld, who asks his girlfriend for change he paid at the toll booth that she didn't pay- that's cheap....

Al, did you ever consider the possibility that the reason XX is a millionaire is precisely because he doesn't waste his money? There may be reasons he prefers an inside (acrophobia, needing total dark to sleep?) Whatever, he has the discernment to chose what he wants and not fall into the trap of thinking that if something is more expensive it must be 'better' - a sure sign of insecurity and having more money then sense.

If you ever find yourself sharing an MDR table with a canny Scot, or sensible Yorkshireman I dare you to call then 'cheap' :eek:

Al, did you ever consider the possibility that the reason XX is a millionaire is precisely because he doesn't waste his money? There may be reasons he prefers an inside (acrophobia, needing total dark to sleep?) Whatever, he has the discernment to chose what he wants and not fall into the trap of thinking that if something is more expensive it must be 'better' - a sure sign of insecurity and having more money then sense.

If you ever find yourself sharing an MDR table with a canny Scot, or sensible Yorkshireman I dare you to call then 'cheap' :eek:

Ladies ( I think?)- I think you are being both unfair & rude to Big Al...have you also gone to the threads on inside cabins or suites and ridiculed them? If you read the posts on this thread ( 95% are glowing & positive, BTW..) , you will find that many have stated that they ONLY cruise in suites or above...why not mock them as well??

And for the record, my husband & I ARE both fairly poor AND cheap..we are cheap because we have to watch what we spend, so we hadn't been able to afford a balcony..in fact, we only could swing 3-4 night cruises in an inside cabin...I hated those dark & gloomy cabins..especially when we met some friends who invited us to their Junior Suite on a Carnival cruise ( that's all we could afford is Carnival), and wow- what a difference! And we sat out there on this HUGE balcony sipping drinks & watching the sea & white caps..

I didn't think we could EVER afford a balcony..then I got an e-mail from our travel agent about the MSC Divina last summer having a balcony cabin for a 7 night Eastern Caribbean, 2 people...$900 for both..that's like HALF what we were seeing for other cruise lines...then we saw Big Al's post here on CC and loved his ideas & suggestions..also the other posts were great, too...we went on the Divina and it was bliss...we were out there every morning, afternoon & evening, and yes, we had breakfast on the balcony on a sea day like Al suggested..my husband & I may not be able to swing a balcony every time we cruise, but now thanks to Big Al's post, we are going to try our hardest to save for our next cruise in a balcony..it may not be this year, but we will make it...have you read all the posts on this thread? If you haven't, shame on you for being one of the few who didn't like words like "poor" or "cheap"..you don't know people who are poor or cheap? Or rich & spend money like crazy? Or who are middle of the road? I do...I didn't take offense to any of this thread..actually I found it helpful & upbeat- unlike some others..this poor & cheapo is grateful to Al...

Ladies ( I think?)- I think you are being both unfair & rude to Big Al...have you also gone to the threads on inside cabins or suites and ridiculed them? If you read the posts on this thread ( 95% are glowing & positive, BTW..) , you will find that many have stated that they ONLY cruise in suites or above...why not mock them as well??

I feel as though you did not even read what I wrote. By all means, Al is allowed to say he only sails in balconies. What I made QUITE clear was I find it unacceptable to then not only imply but outright INSIST that others, regardless of their very valid reasons, MUST also sail in a balcony. Also, I would not say we are "mocking" him. No, He is being SCOLDED for being disrespectful.

Again, our issue is not that Big Al has a certain opinion. It is the way in which he is PUSHING it on others, even when they have presented their own very valid and IMO irrefutable reasons for not sharing his opinion. Are THEY not allowed to also have their opinion, and book outside or inside cabins and *gasp* ACTUALLY BE PERFECTLY HAPPY WITH THEM?? Not according to Al. He has made it QUITE clean that he believes the only reason anyone may be OK with less than a balcony is that they simple are not taking all the factors into account, because if they were they would HAVE to agree with him. So basically, anyone who doesn't agree with him is either stupid, wrong, or misinformed. That's very disrespectful.

Like I said, the problem isn't that he has an opinion. The problem is that he is trying to push that opinion on others.

You quite literally took the words out of my mouth. One doesn't become a millionaire by spending all their money, no matter how much your income is if you spend it all you don't have it and thus aren't a millionaire. Most people who are truly well off, financially, don't splurge often. They are quite sensible with their money, and that indeed is WHY they have so much.

My husband and I have splurged on a balcony for our upcoming cruise, and I have NO doubts that we will enjoy the balcony. But I simply do not agree that a balcony is the ONLY way to cruise. If we are between no cruise at all, or going with an inside... we will go with the inside every time AND I promise will will enjoy every single minute of our cruise. Just because we have stayed in one of the nicest rooms in a nice resort on vacation once doesn't mean it is below us to stay at the cheapest place the next time. We all have our reasons for choosing our vacations the way we do. Balconies are great. Suites even better. But that doesn't mean they are the right choice for every cruiser, every time.

~Katy

I feel as though you did not even read what I wrote. By all means, Al is allowed to say he only sails in balconies. What I made QUITE clear was I find it unacceptable to then not only imply but outright INSIST that others, regardless of their very valid reasons, MUST also sail in a balcony. Also, I would not say we are "mocking" him. No, He is being SCOLDED for being disrespectful.

Again, our issue is not that Big Al has a certain opinion. It is the way in which he is PUSHING it on others, even when they have presented their own very valid and IMO irrefutable reasons for not sharing his opinion. Are THEY not allowed to also have their opinion, and book outside or inside cabins and *gasp* ACTUALLY BE PERFECTLY HAPPY WITH THEM?? Not according to Al. He has made it QUITE clean that he believes the only reason anyone may be OK with less than a balcony is that they simple are not taking all the factors into account, because if they were they would HAVE to agree with him. So basically, anyone who doesn't agree with him is either stupid, wrong, or misinformed. That's very disrespectful.

Like I said, the problem isn't that he has an opinion. The problem is that he is trying to push that opinion on others.

You quite literally took the words out of my mouth. One doesn't become a millionaire by spending all their money, no matter how much your income is if you spend it all you don't have it and thus aren't a millionaire. Most people who are truly well off, financially, don't splurge often. They are quite sensible with their money, and that indeed is WHY they have so much.

My husband and I have splurged on a balcony for our upcoming cruise, and I have NO doubts that we will enjoy the balcony. But I simply do not agree that a balcony is the ONLY way to cruise. If we are between no cruise at all, or going with an inside... we will go with the inside every time AND I promise will will enjoy every single minute of our cruise. Just because we have stayed in one of the nicest rooms in a nice resort on vacation once doesn't mean it is below us to stay at the cheapest place the next time. We all have our reasons for choosing our vacations the way we do. Balconies are great. Suites even better. But that doesn't mean they are the right choice for every cruiser, every time.

~Katy

Katy- This thread is a commentary on a balcony cabin, not cabins in general..what do you think would've happened if I ( or someone else) posted a thread called "Thanks, inside cabin, a commentary", or worse, "Thanks suite cabins are THE only way to cruise" or similar? if I read a thread like those, I would EXPECT the OP to push inside cabins or suites...if you read a "Why I dine in the MDR" thread, I expect that poster to push dining in the MDR ...I have been called a moron, idiot, person who wastes money because I have stated that I like specialty dining venues and to me $20-35 PP is not that much to spend for a special night out..I believe my wife is worth a special romantic dinner- yet I have also been ridiculed for that...I never said balconies are the "only " way to cruise..if I did, it was tongue in cheek... very few have complained about my observations..in fact, I suggest you read the responses, which Cruisindiaz also mentioned...I remember her, and I was glad to help...of course not everybody needs to enjoy a cruise in a balcony..I had a great time on our first 7 nighter on the RCI Majesty Of The Seas..I just hated our inside cabin..119 SF & dark, cramped..bathroom was designed for 10 year olds ..never again for us...variety is the spice of life & to each his own...

Katy- This thread is a commentary on a balcony cabin, not cabins in general..what do you think would've happened if I ( or someone else) posted a thread called "Thanks, inside cabin, a commentary", or worse, "Thanks suite cabins are THE only way to cruise" or similar? if I read a thread like those, I would EXPECT the OP to push inside cabins or suites...if you read a "Why I dine in the MDR" thread, I expect that poster to push dining in the MDR ...I have been called a moron, idiot, person who wastes money because I have stated that I like specialty dining venues and to me $20-35 PP is not that much to spend for a special night out..I believe my wife is worth a special romantic dinner- yet I have also been ridiculed for that...I never said balconies are the "only " way to cruise..if I did, it was tongue in cheek... very few have complained about my observations..in fact, I suggest you read the responses, which Cruisindiaz also mentioned...I remember her, and I was glad to help...of course not everybody needs to enjoy a cruise in a balcony..I had a great time on our first 7 nighter on the RCI Majesty Of The Seas..I just hated our inside cabin..119 SF & dark, cramped..bathroom was designed for 10 year olds ..never again for us...variety is the spice of life & to each his own...

Again, did YOU read my original post in this thread? My problem isn't with your original post, which was nice and informative. It is with your ad nauseum replies which as much as YOU want to call "commentary" go far beyond that scope.

I guess I will repeat myself, as you seem so fond to do such yourself. My problem isn't that you like balconies. My problem is the manner in which you replied to those who stated their reasons for NOT choosing balconies. Which was basically "oh, no, I KNOW BETTER than you do, balconies are awesome" rather than just being respectful and stating "Yes I can see why that works better for you" or even simply ignoring them.

~Katy

• 2 weeks later...

Big Al, ignore the people who come on this thread, which they know is pro-balcony, then bash you for posting your opinion :cool:. We completely love balconies for all the reasons you posted and I enjoy getting weekly notifications from new posters, telling about how much they enjoyed their balconies. And from you, with your enthusiasm, lol.

Just this weekend my friend who has never cruised before and has been begging her partner to take their family on a Disney cruise, told me that she heard that people are never in their cabins anyway. I told her no way!!! And listed all of your tips about balconies that we enjoyed: coffee in the morning, seeing and feeling the weather, viewing dolphins and 2 whales braying alongside on our Canada cruise, having a glass of wine in the afternoon when not wanting to hunt for space on a crowded deck, the beautiful views, great sunset/sunrise photos, after dark listening to the waves, etc. Plus she has young kids and if someone wanted to nap or was not feeling well, she wouldn't be cramped in the room. She was inspired and I hope she gets the full experience of cruising and pays that little bit more, to enjoy all the benefits of a balcony.

I told her to watch for deals as I do, and she would definitely feel that it is worth it! :D

Big Al, ignore the people who come on this thread, which they know is pro-balcony, then bash you for posting your opinion :cool:. We completely love balconies for all the reasons you posted and I enjoy getting weekly notifications from new posters, telling about how much they enjoyed their balconies. And from you, with your enthusiasm, lol.

Just this weekend my friend who has never cruised before and has been begging her partner to take their family on a Disney cruise, told me that she heard that people are never in their cabins anyway. I told her no way!!! And listed all of your tips about balconies that we enjoyed: coffee in the morning, seeing and feeling the weather, viewing dolphins and 2 whales braying alongside on our Canada cruise, having a glass of wine in the afternoon when not wanting to hunt for space on a crowded deck, the beautiful views, great sunset/sunrise photos, after dark listening to the waves, etc. Plus she has young kids and if someone wanted to nap or was not feeling well, she wouldn't be cramped in the room. She was inspired and I hope she gets the full experience of cruising and pays that little bit more, to enjoy all the benefits of a balcony.

I told her to watch for deals as I do, and she would definitely feel that it is worth it! :D

I love having a balcony, but I will not say, nor imply that it is the only way to cruise. Nor will I say anything negative about people who choose not to have a balcony. But by the same token, don't set someone up to expect to see 'marine life' while sitting on the balcony either. It doesn't always happen. Sure, you can see magnificent sunrises (if you are awake) and magificent sunsets (if you are in your cabin) from many places on the ship.

Choices abound and there are different cabins for different people, and everyone has their own reasons for the cabin they choose.....and no one is wrong.

I love having a balcony, but I will not say, nor imply that it is the only way to cruise. Nor will I say anything negative about people who choose not to have a balcony. But by the same token, don't set someone up to expect to see 'marine life' while sitting on the balcony either. It doesn't always happen. Sure, you can see magnificent sunrises (if you are awake) and magificent sunsets (if you are in your cabin) from many places on the ship.

Choices abound and there are different cabins for different people, and everyone has their own reasons for the cabin they choose.....and no one is wrong.

Who said marine life can always be seen? I have seen marine life in 75% of my cruises, but there were times we saw nothing- which is OK...I certainly DO see birds flying & swooping down to catch fish, and almost always see flying fish & other types of fish swimming alongside the ship...again, this is a BALCONY thread, just like the poster Cruisingirl777 said, and for myself, who has cruised in all four categories of cabins, a balcony IS the best, and only choice, but for others, they can do what they want..I have friends who will tell you that suites are the only way to cruise..I certainly don't bash them or insult them because they are well off & can afford suites..one thing is for sure- you certainly WON'T see sunsets, sunrises, marine life, cruise ships passing, islands in the distance, seeing the ports as you are pulling in ( how nice to see St. Thomas, St. Maarten or St. Croix as you are coming into port!!), thunderstorms, rainbows, white caps, sunshine & salt air on your face, or feel the wind at your face & slowly doze off as you hear the waves & feel the salt air & wind on your face while sitting on your balcony- in an inside cabin...of course, you can get dressed, go upstairs somewhere & try & find all these things on the open decks with hundreds of other people, sometimes with loud music blasting, kids running around, etc., OR you can experience the wonders of the sea on your own private, quiet & personal little space designed only for you...All of these observations are MHO, that's what this thread is about..

Big Al

[

Cruisingirl- Thanks for the kind words..there have been some negative posts recently on this thread from people who seem to forget that this is a PRO BALCONY thread, not a "what kind of cabin do you prefer?" thread..FYI & for the record, studies show that the kind of cabin you choose, is directly related to how much enjoyment you will get on your cruise..of course, people who cruise in an inside cabin rarely spend time in their cabin- why would they? What's to see & enjoy? 4 walls? The tiny bathroom? One study showed that only 22% of passengers in an inside cabin stated they enjoyed their cabin, while 71% of balcony cabin cruisers said they enjoyed their cabin, and 88% of suites people said they enjoyed their cabin..wow, huge differences!!....a friend of mine almost posted here replying to some rather rude & negative posters & she was going to, shall I say, tell them where to put their comments, lol..I convinced her not to, and told her that people are entitled to their opinions, even if you didn't agree with them..95% of the posters here are more than positive, they re-enforced everything I said in my original post and more...

This is a great story that happened this past weekend: As you know, I'm a cruise agent for 17 years now, and some neighbors came over Sat afternoon to talk about cruises. They were newbies & wanted to take their first cruise in the fall & we talked about the different cruise lines available & I explained the differences between cruise lines, and then Eastern vs. Western Caribb, etc...THEN we got to cabins & I went over the four categories of cabins- inside, outside w/window, balcony & suites. Of course, their next question was about pricing & what I recommended. They asked if there was a big difference between the inside & balcony cabins..wrong person to ask, I thought, so I gave them my standard "shpiel" and showed them a room we have that has no windows, used for storage. It's about 12 X 13 or about 156 Sq. Ft and dark..I told the couple this was the size & aura of an inside cabin..no sun light, no wind, no sound & sight of the waves, no smelling & feeling the salt air , no sunsets or sunrises to see, no passing ships, no seeing the ports as you come into port, no moonlit skies & seeing the stars out late at night ( love that!) , no sitting outside & sipping a beverage, or sitting & having breakfast outside over- looking the Caribbean..nothing, I told them..just 4 walls, a bed, bathroom, & a few lamps...then we walked upstairs, where my wife & I have a 2nd story patio balcony 12 feet high over- looking our yard..It was a nice, sunny day & I told them "Imagine sitting out here on these chairs on a day at sea, feeling those warm Caribbean breezes & salt air on your face & seeing AND hearing the waves , seeing fish swim by, even dolphins may be seen, maybe not..imagine sitting out here & watching the sun go down while sipping a Pina Colada, or reading a book while hearing birds fly above you, or talking to your neighbor as they too, are gazing at the wonders of the sea, instead of the wonders of the walls in your inside cabin"..."isn't that one of the reasons you want to try a cruise? To be at sea, & part of the sea & feel the connection to the sea that many of us crave?" ..they looked at each other and asked, "I guess we won't experience any of those wonderful things you mentioned in the inside cabin?" "You can experience some of those things IF you go upstairs , maybe to above the pool deck, where they may be hundreds of people, kids, crew cleaning, loud music, etc., but you will definitely NOT experience anything like what I described in your inside cabin- you will experience 4 walls, a bathroom , some lamps & a bed- PERIOD..."....after a few more questions about dining, entertainment & excursions, they decided on a hump balcony...FYI- my wife is from South America & they were latino, so she, shall we say, told them "don't be silly, take a balcony, it's fantastic & changes your whole perspective on the cruise..inside cabins are like caves.. we had one on our first cruise, it was dark, boring & claustrophobic"...all true BTW..as I wrote in my opening thread, the cabin was 119 SF, very, very tight & I knocked over my wife ( who is tiny at 4' 11" & 102 lbs..) at least 6 times because the cabin was so small..we realized that one person had to be in the bathroom ( also tiny) while the other got dressed for dinner..it was the only way to avoid crashing into each other..many current insides are now bigger at 140-160 SF, but of course, are still dark & gloomy IMO...Thanks, cruise ship balcony...

Big Al

As you know, I'm a cruise agent for 17 years now, and some neighbors came over Sat afternoon to talk about cruises.

People can take different points of view about the balcony vs inside cabin discussion....what people have found offensive in the discussion is when people make judgments about people because they disagree with someone's perspective.

Big Al, surely has his way of 'deeming that the only way to cruise is in a balcony' -- and many disagree with his approach.

Lets also remember that Big Al, is a travel agent, and for me he has a different agenda, making commission. I would not have wanted to be those neighbors.....it may have been like walking into a lions den.

People can take different points of view about the balcony vs inside cabin discussion....what people have found offensive in the discussion is when people make judgments about people because they disagree with someone's perspective.

Big Al, surely has his way of 'deeming that the only way to cruise is in a balcony' -- and many disagree with his approach.

Lets also remember that Big Al, is a travel agent, and for me he has a different agenda, making commission. I would not have wanted to be those neighbors.....it may have been like walking into a lions den.

FYI, it is not "many" disagree..I encourage you ( and all others) to read ALL the responders & see how many thought I was "pushing" my agenda..you are missing the point ( like many recent posters) ..this is NOT a discussion on balcony vs. insides..this is MY discussion on cruise ship BALCONIES & why they are wonderful- if you want to discuss inside cabins OR window cabins OR suites, why don't you start your own thread, and then let people fire away...and BTW, a friend just booked the NCL Getaway with me and he & wife booked a balcony..his friends, who are also going, booked an inside cabin and they are MILLIONAIRES..my friend tried to convince them to upgrade so they could get the Ultimate Dining Package with NCL, but they insisted on an inside because as my friend said, "let's just say they are "tight" with spending money"...I NEVER even asked them about possibly changing to a better cabin or upgrade..NOT ONE word- anybody who lives in a 5800 SF 1.3 million dollar house in Northern NJ most likely ( you never know , but my friend says "he's filthy rich & just cheap") can afford a cabin that's $400 more than the one they chose...don't be so judgemental ... my JOB is to book cruises- my job is to explain all options, all differences & I do it quite well..if people ask my opinion ( and 90% do..), I tell them what I think ..I hope that's OK with you..there are many cruise & travel agents on here, most do not put where they reside ( not allowed ) , so when you see posters with a LOT of posts, they may be agents..I hope you know that- I just don't hide what I do like they do...

Edited by big al
spelling

Again, my 2 cents - hang in there Al. I love the thread you started about the "balcony" type rooms. I have shared your comments about the significance of the balcony and the potential impact for the total cruise enjoyment to some of our friends who were asking about their first cruise plans; I have not tracked their decisions one way or another. We often have discussed cruising in much small ships (no balconies) and yet so far, have always selected a larger ship and a balcony room sailing on a very similar itinerary. I also find it very interesting to read how other cruisers have enjoyed their balcony - sunset, sunrise, meals on the balcony, winds, smells, views, etc.