Rude Passengers

suntan

I personally like to hang out in the elevators hoping people will bump, poke, prod, punch, kick me, whatever. Another thing I do is bring a seperate suit case full of ping pong balls and hand them out to people of all ages so they can throw them at me.:D

Figured this post needed a little levity.

Maybe a tad over-sensitive and definitely not showing any empathy. The part of your post about the older woman in the elevator for instance...Did it ever occur to you that older people are a bit fragile and this woman obviously has a fear of being bumped into and/or knocked over? It wasn't like she hurt you...she touched you...Sometimes you have to put yourself in another's shoes.

If someone is about to step on my recently broken foot I WILL say something if there enough time or put my hand out to protect myself. Sometimes people back up in an elevator and don't see how close they're getting to another passenger.

I hope you aren't one of those people who squeeze into an elevator when it's already full causing yourself to get too close to others.

It is very rare to see a North American who does not use their strong hand for their fork.

This has nothing to do with manners. It has everything to do with custom. If you're referring to Americans, we eat with whatever hand is available at the time. I'm left-handed and I assure you that you do not want to sit next to me while I attempt to hold a folk in my right hand. My meal will be all over you. :)

If someone is about to step on my recently broken foot I WILL say something if there enough time or put my hand out to protect myself. Sometimes people back up in an elevator and don't see how close they're getting to another passenger.

I hope you aren't one of those people who squeeze into an elevator when it's already full causing yourself to get too close to others.

Common sense should prevail. BTW, I hate it when the elevator doors open and there are 6 people on it who will not step back or to the side and announce that it is full. That's when I get rude and step in announcing that there's plenty of room.

Interesting topic. My favorite "senior" story (and I am also a senior) happened on a Princess cruise while I was waiting in a line (queue for you Brits) to get an omelet. This little ole lady just walks up and jumps right in front of me (there were about 5 in line behind me). She then turns and sweetly says, "oh, it's OK because I am old." Without any hesitation I replied, "the line for the old people is in the back (and pointed to the rear of the line). There were a few snickers (laughter for you Brits) and one person even clapped. The lady slowly got out of line and went to the rear without saying another word.

Now, I also want to comment about using utensils at a dining table...since this was mentioned in a previous post. We are very well traveled (on 6 continents) and normally eat like the Americans we happen to be.....but are also capable of switching to the European style of eating if we feel in the mood. This is not an issue of manners, but simply one more cultural difference magnified by that big "pond" that keeps us far apart :). We have spent enough time in England (and the UK) to understand about things like boots and bonnets, and even fanny packs (bum packs for you Brits). But rather then make an issue of these differences it can become a wonderful topic of conversation over a few beers (pints for you Brits) or at the dinner table.

Hank

This has nothing to do with manners. It has everything to do with custom. If you're referring to Americans, we eat with whatever hand is available at the time. I'm left-handed and I assure you that you do not want to sit next to me while I attempt to hold a folk in my right hand. My meal will be all over you. :)

That was my point. It is our custom and has nothing to do with manners.

I guess I should amend this to say United States Instead of North Americans or just Americans.

Common sense should prevail. BTW, I hate it when the elevator doors open and there are 6 people on it who will not step back or to the side and announce that it is full. That's when I get rude and step in announcing that there's plenty of room.

Maybe they rode the elevator with you before. Are you a senior?

Burt

Mrs. Pablo was watching a movie in the show lounge on Emerald. Another pax came in, looked around, and sat on her. I thought it was hysterical. She -- not so much.

Oh that's funny! Thanks for the laugh!

As far as manners, I was raised to say please, thank you, excuse / pardon me, may I? and such. Thank you Mom. I realize some people don't mean to step on me or just didn't notice (OUCH!). All I can hope for is that my manners might rub off on someone else for the better and it spreads like a virus. I realize not everyone had a Mom like mine. Thank you. :D

Also' date=' if you're going to stand by the button panel, take charge. Hold the "open" button if people are getting on. Ask for floor numbers so that people don't have to reach over your shoulder. [/color']

Personally, the few times I get to take the elevator, I like being by the buttons. I ask everyone what floor they need, and tell them I'm practicing for a second career.

To the OP may your future cruises be better for you.

I never had a problem with seniors touching my children. Being parents and probably now grandparents it is just a natural reaction for them. .....

Uh, no it is most definitely NOT. I'm a grandpa (of 15) and a long time Boy Scout leader. Under no circumstances other than emergency or rescue would I touch any child who was not of my own kin. That is completely unacceptable.

Wow, Suntan. Hope you live long enough to be on this side of your generalization. Elevators and queues outside the theater and restaurants are moving and flowing. Unless hugging a wall, someone is going to bump or brush you. Those of us audacious enough to help stop someone from stepping on our feet don't mean to be rude, just practical. Cut us some slack.

Well this topic can be endless!

I am in my early 40's and travel with both my parents, my brother and my children.

I was brought up to say Please, Thank you, Excuse me, Pardon, Sorry, hug, kiss etc etc etc

I have tried teaching my children the same thing as in all of the above as well as giving way to others, NOT standing infront of the elevator doors in case people need to get out first, Manner to elders, holding doors open, using cutlery no matter what hand it is in, saying Sorry if they accidently bump into someone etc etc etc

When you are in public there are people from all over the world with all different manners and some with no manners. My kids try their best but there are some people of ALL ages that are still rude to them and think its ok NOT be polite.

That is why when I or my kids hold the door open and others dont say thank you, you say loudly to your kids WELL DONE THEY SHOULD HAVE SAID THANK YOU, or YOU'RE WELCOME in a loud voice because some ppl just wont be nice but the main thing is YOU ARE!

As far as ppl touching my kids - from the moment they are in a pram or stroller ppl like to stroke or pat their heads, faces etc. If I dont like it I would tell them but most of the time its because they are so adorable! If someone grabbed them or moved them in a rude and nasty way well they better watch out. If they accidently brush past them thats life!

I am a sensory person and like to hug, kiss, pat and touch so be careful if I accidently back into you, brush past you etc I will apologize and probably touch your arm but thats just me.

In this day and age there is so much political correctness that it can make it hard for anyone to know what is right and wrong, what some find acceptable others find deplorable.

IT IS WHAT IT IS!

Just before I finish I have to share a story of my Australian Friend who recently travelled to Thailand for the 1st time - she found it very hard to adjust to the different culture and the rudeness of some people. I told her that each culture have different values, rules, etc and what we might find rude it is the way of life to others. She said it took awhile to get used to but eventually adapted to travelling on buses, trains and tours with acceptance and LOTS of patience!

Have a great day everyone!!

We have seen far more rude adults than we have rude or poorly behaved children.

Especially the self centered 'entitled ones' who treat the staff like rubbish.

There are usually one or two on every cruise that we have been on.

Edited by iancal

Now in fairness, let me add a positive experience that took place on board. One time as we were exiting the MDR, others who had the later seating were crowded around the doors, waiting to be let in. My aunt, 87 at the time, scooted ahead to get out of the way and in a split second, lost her balance. She was way outside any of our immediate reach, we could only watch. But a young man standing near by, I would guess in his early 20's, saw what was happening. Without a thought, he literally bolted to her, swooped down and caught her before she hit the ground. He turned her upright and set her on her feet, then while she was still clutching him in fear, he gently danced with her as if it was all part of their plan. They shared a good laugh and she thanked him profusely. We all did. She really could have been badly injured - he saved the day. It was a beautiful, instinctive act of kindness and grace that I'll never forget.

Loved reading this :)

It is entirely possible to get your point across without being rude. Depending on culture, some people might come off rude without intending to. As you stated, it's a decision for you , why?

I hope you are not the type of which the OP posts, regardless of age. This is a vacation, an escape from intentional rudeness, me thinks!

Sent from my SM-T210R using Forums mobile app

on our very first cruise, we sat a table to eat, a man asked could he sit at our table, we said yes plenty of seats, he went to get his meal, while he was away a handicapped young man in a wheel chair and his carer also sat at our table ( it was a large table) the first man came back , noticed the handicap person picked up his belongings and left, it was so so obvious, he was uncomfortable with the situation . he just took off, didn't even have the decency to pretend he saw someone he knew at another table. well it was his lose as this young man was extremely intelligent and they were good dinner companions, whenever he saw us on the ship, he always acknowledged us.

This thread amplifies how easy it is to upset/insult/rub them up the wrong way without meaning to. I mentioned the cutlery scenario and thought I had explained that although I find it bad manners to use the fork with the strong hand I understood that other cultures/countries do not and therefore I accepted that we are all different but being human I still couldn't help but notice when people do. There is no international right/wrong just differences and it is those differences that make the world a such a great place to explore. If the bad manners just makes you think 'really, I wouldn't' then move on and have a laugh about it later. If it is a physical assault or a threat then that is a different matter but even then the law of the land applies not the law of your land wherever that may be.

I suppose we're just lucky - in 15 cruises, have encountered only a VERY few rude people on cruises. More often on a cruise, it's full of happy people escaping from their everyday life, who will laugh and cut up with you!

We have been on twenty-three cruises and I would have to agree with you. Every now and then you see some old biddy who likes to complain, but for the most part, we have seen very positive behavior.

Did :confused: you totally misread my post???????

try again please.

Edited by halos

Did :confused: you totally misread my post???????

try again please.

Yes, I did. You mentioned being in an elevator and that someone touched you. My point was that IF you were in front of me on an elevator and started to step back toward me I would either say something or touch you.

Yes, I did. You mentioned being in an elevator and that someone touched you. My point was that IF you were in front of me on an elevator and started to step back toward me I would either say something or touch you.

Me too! And I sure would not get upset if a errant ping pong ball happened to fall into my lap. When this happens I just toss the ball back to the players. OMG! Just imagine. If somebody lets a ping pong ball ruin their day, then life is certainly not very good.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Uh, no it is most definitely NOT. I'm a grandpa (of 15) and a long time Boy Scout leader. Under no circumstances other than emergency or rescue would I touch any child who was not of my own kin. That is completely unacceptable.

Interesting, as a SM, coach, youth leader and father, I learned to start a greeting with a hand shake because it introduces a calming tone. I found it expecially helpful with many learning disabled youth. Something about a kind touch that settles the spirit.

I agree that touching is less acceptable in todays culture of fear, but there are still acceptable protocols of touch. In fact, experts say that touch is the most acute sense of the five senses for communication. Sadly it is the least used.

I'm sure a person could touch with the intention of being rude, but it's just a rude to assume that an accidental touch between strangers had that intention. I read the OPs post and think I might have been the one in the elevator who touched her. I don't ride the elevator very much, but I'm not afraid to touch a person who is going to bump into me.

Burt

This coming from a Boy Scout leader. You have missed out on the power of touch. An upset child, would not be rescue or emergency, so would not deserve a pat on the shoulder or heaven forbids a hug. A culture that seems so disconnected because somewhere along the line it lost the power of touch, a handshake, a hug. To not provide touch is saying you won't provide comfort because touch goes a long way in doing that.

As for elevators, not everyone uses them and are aware of the 'proper' etiquette. Touch with the 'intention' of being rude in my world is called a slap. Until that happens, it just go with the flow. Shhesh, I am not around elevators and love riding the glass ones:D Campers and cruisers are some of the coolest people I have met!

Edited by Blk_Amish