Very Embarrassed - Don't Think I'll Travel Carnival after this upcoming cruise

JimmyJ

I think the Carnival rule is all about money on booze from their bars, nothing to do with safety. I rarely see drunks turned down for another drink. They ARE a safety issue!

I'll have to make sure I don't do any stumbling down that ramp reboarding so I don't have security knocking on my door.

The rum runner site must love reading this stuff!

Jimmy, Yes, I know, crazy rules. We just returned from the Legend, and I had an embarrassing situation too. By your picture we appear to be close in the age bracket.............not spring breakers. We were getting back on the ship after a very fun snorkel excursion. My sister was traveling with us and when we get together we turn into school girls and giggle. Well, we were going through the ships security, we were giggling, and I stumbled. I do have a "funny" foot and do not need any alcohol to loose my balance, even walked with a cane for four days after that. Yes, I had a cane packed for this very purpose.

We had lunch and returned to our cabin. There was a knock on our door, it was security. They locked our mini bar and took away my drinking priveleges for 24 hours as they "thought" I was drunk. DH and I went to the service desk to ask for a test........walk a straight line, say abc's etc. They refused to give me one. No amount of my medical condition was listened to.........very embarrassing for me. Never sent me to the Doctor, it was security's decision. When we returned to our room an invitation for an open bar past guest party was on our bed.......Go figure!!!:eek: And we even won a bottle of bubbly that evening!

You are correct, have to order some rum runners!:)

I'm sitting here thinking about how many times I have watched people coming back from port (most of the time, Mexican ports) barely able to walk...and wondering why that happened to you AND if this is now the direction CCL is going (they change direction way too often to keep up with) I wager there will be a lot of people cut off for actually being drunk...a LOT.

Soooo.... You can buy an unlimited pass to alcohol AKA CHEERS, but you can't buy more than two bottles of wine? Sounds like a nice way to suck you dry.... of your money. I would be pissed too. But then again, after this last cruise I am no Carnival Cheerleader... Unlike some other people that seem to defend every policy of Carnival no matter how illogical.

I'll have to make sure I don't do any stumbling down that ramp reboarding so I don't have security knocking on my door.

Hey, cruisinpsychRN! I see you're still cruisin! Good for you! We were with you in Roatan on that poor man's excursion around the island with Victor. We learned our lesson on that one.

Walk steady! Say Hi to Jim and Patty.

Jim

Wow, different perspective here. When I read your post Said WOW, in a positive way. Coming from someone who runs a treatment centre i actually am impressed (and surprised), by carnivals response. It actually impressed me that they would do this as it cuts back there revenue.

I actually though how awesome it would be if they were to limit total drinks per sail and sign card. It would cut back some of the security measures they have, with dealing with a disgruntled intoxicated individual. So I think its great.

Also I don't think your that embarrassed, if you were you would not have posted what happened on the web. It did get you frustrated though, which is understandable, and like any human being when we get frustrated we want justification. Enjoy your cruise, and don't choose to ALLOW this to damper your week.:o

Soooo.... You can buy an unlimited pass to alcohol AKA CHEERS, but you can't buy more than two bottles of wine? Sounds like a nice way to suck you dry.... of your money. I would be pissed too. But then again, after this last cruise I am no Carnival Cheerleader... Unlike some other people that seem to defend every policy of Carnival no matter how illogical.

AKA Cheers is not unlimited

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

Just reading some of your messages makes me realize how trivial this is.... and I needed to change the attitude...

With Thanks ! ;)

If embarrassed was how you felt I don't think you need to change your attitude, I think people need to respect how people say they feel;)

While I understand your initial frustration, I also understand where Carnival is coming from. And I am Not a Carnival cheerleader.

They have to have a limit somewhere.

Someone could very well have all their friends and family order bottles and end up with 100+ for a 7 day cruise! The problem then would be not that they are falling over drunk, but they may begin your own "black market" and sell bottles to other passengers.

You will have 2 bottles in your carry ons, 1 bottle of champagne, and 5 bottles with the plan. If you go to the steakhouse the first night, that would be 1 more bottle. =9 bottles total. I think you also get a free drink coupon for brunch, there may be drinks at the past guest party, cheap drinks in ports, daily specials and happy hours, and there is a teeny liquor tasting on board too.

If you're going to drink more than all of that, then perhaps Cheers is the way to go.

Enjoy your cruise.

There could be another reason for the two item limint, depending on where you are cruising from Local law. There are at least two states, don't remeber which ones off the top of my head, where they can not deliver prepurchased alchoal to your cabin till the day after you board. Not saying that is the case here but.

I just wanted to tell you of an episode this past weekend that was very embarrassing and I've not even taken the cruise yet (Dec. 03 - Carnival Splendor).

We are seniors (physically, not mentally) however, we booked this cruise several months ago out of NYC. Took balcony stateroom in the Cloud9 Spa area. This is my 2nd Carnival cruise (last one in 2009) - but this will be my 20th cruise overall.

Through the Fun Shops, I ordered some food/snacks/birthday cake and even a cash card. For sail-a-way, I ordered a bottle of champagne. I also ordered a wine package (5 bottles) to use during the cruise.

This past Saturday night, went to friends for dinner and was told that they tried ordering a bottle of sparkling wine to be sent to the cabin for my birthday (4 days after cruise departed) and was told "NO" -

Here's the response they got from doing this ONLINE:

{QUOTE}

Sorry, there were some problems with your submission:

Carnival believes in safety first. Please note there is a maximum of two alcohol products per booking available through The Fun Shops. This booking already contains two or more alcohol products. Please remove or reduce the item quantity of alcohol specific products in your cart or you can choose another booking if you need to. Thank you.

{END QUOTE}

So since I had already ordered things for MYSELF - by MYSELF - No one can order any alcohol for me as a gift. They couldn't even order a BAR CARD !!!

My friend then kidded me by asking "How much alcohol are you drinking on board that they stop me from giving you a bottle for your birthday - even though it's more on the ship than on land?" While I had a laugh, I was embarrassed. I suggested they bypass the website and call directly to the Fun Shops. Guess what?? SAME ANSWER.

So.. Don't order any alcohol for yourself if you might think that someone would surprise you with a bottle 'cause they might not be able to.

NO OTHER CARRIER that I have experienced have ever done this - even carriers that are under the Carnival Corporation umbrella.

So - now my friend will post on his extensive website and subscriber base telling them not to travel Carnival if the carrier thinks that their passengers are drunkards and unable to have more than 2 bottles per stateroom for a cruise.

No wonder so many people on this forum become Run Runners.

From the quote "Carnival believes in safety first" - What a laugh! All they care about is sucking more money from your wallet - and telling you that you can't handle your beverages. And then they want more money for you to have your room ready when you check in - just another way to suck $50 more from you even before you board.

What a crock.

Carnival has totally lost my support. I now wonder what other "rules" Carnival will have on the upcoming cruise!

JimmyJ

Jimmy, I agree with you that this is a ridiculous policy.

It is also ironic that Carnival will allow passengers to drink 15 alcoholic drinks per day under their drinks package, but disallows you a few bottles of wine to drink over the course of the week, likely shared with your significant other, to celebrate your birthday and enjoy during your cruise.

IMHO this is just another example of how messed up Carnival has become.

I am sorry this has put a damper on your cruise vacation. If I were in your shoes, I think I would also be looking elsewhere to spend my future vacation dollars.

Don't forget that you can carry wine on the ship--1 750 ml bottle per passenger in your carry-on luggage only.

Edited by winddawn

Jimmy, I agree with you that this is a ridiculous policy.

It is also ironic that Carnival will allow passengers to drink 15 alcoholic drinks per day under their drinks package, but disallows you a few bottles of wine to drink over the course of the week, likely shared with your significant other, to celebrate your birthday and enjoy during your cruise.

IMHO this is just another example of how messed up Carnival has become.

I am sorry this has put a damper on your cruise vacation. If I were in your shoes, I think I would also be looking elsewhere to spend my future vacation dollars.

Don't forget that you can carry wine on the ship--1 750 ml bottle per passenger in your carry-on luggage only.

Actually other lines have similar policies as well. We had a group on the explorer of the seas and a senior friend wanted ten bottles of his favorite beer in the grand suite fridge. He was told they can only deliver one per day. He became furious and his son had to order one for his room and bring it over. So. Guess even royal has become so messed up also.

Op, take advice with a. Grain of salt and do what you think is best.

Hey, cruisinpsychRN! I see you're still cruisin! Good for you! We were with you in Roatan on that poor man's excursion around the island with Victor. We learned our lesson on that one.

Walk steady! Say Hi to Jim and Patty.

Jim

Often think of you guys and that tour! When I read all the superlatives about Victor's tours, I wonder if we were hijacked by the only nonverbal tour guide in the history of civilization!

Still marvel I went on a trip to Roatan and met a couple who lived on the street behind me!

There could be another reason for the two item limint, depending on where you are cruising from Local law. There are at least two states, don't remeber which ones off the top of my head, where they can not deliver prepurchased alchoal to your cabin till the day after you board. Not saying that is the case here but.

Texas is one of the ones with the screwey blue laws. But I have never heard of a limit on how many bottles could be purchased.

I understand the embarrassment you felt with your friends comment....a chuckle and mention of the wine package should have settled that....but I get it!

Carnival began this policy after their last price increases via Bon Voyage and like the pricing, it is what it is, unfortunately. Nothing like being made to feel like a child with their Nanny alcohol policies. It is too bad that a few passengers have such an effect on the whole population on board. I feel confident you will still be able to enjoy the beverages you have and many more on board.

Enjoy yourself on the cruise :D

Wow, different perspective here. When I read your post Said WOW, in a positive way. Coming from someone who runs a treatment centre i actually am impressed (and surprised), by carnivals response. It actually impressed me that they would do this as it cuts back there revenue.

I actually though how awesome it would be if they were to limit total drinks per sail and sign card. It would cut back some of the security measures they have, with dealing with a disgruntled intoxicated individual. So I think its great.

Also I don't think your that embarrassed, if you were you would not have posted what happened on the web. It did get you frustrated though, which is understandable, and like any human being when we get frustrated we want justification. Enjoy your cruise, and don't choose to ALLOW this to damper your week.:o

Really? Just because you deal with alcoholics and drug addicts does not mean that everyone who likes to drink it up on THEIR VACATION has an issue. Not everyone becomes totally intoxicated and problematic. Cheerleading for sober people everywhere is judgmental and critical. How dare you even assume that all people should be rationed out alcohol because you see the worst side of it. There is another side you know that? Sheezzz.

"Do gooders will be the ruination of this great country"

General J.S. Moore -1972

How wise & spot on, Uncle J.S. !

The OP's embarrassment was because of A FRIEND'S comment, and it catching him off guard, not posting basically anonymously on a public forum!

Haven't read through the whole thread but giving a gift card could have solved all of this. I know it's not the same exact thing as picking a specific bottle of wine for someone but a gift is a gift and would be appreciated either way.

Well, as a nutritionist I was glad to see them limit bacon, no just kidding:rolleyes:. Don't worry alcohol is free flowing, they allow 15 drinks per day under their Cheer package.

I guess embarrassed for choosing a line with such stupid policy, but for me it would be for frustrating.

Edited by Blk_Amish

I think the Carnival rule is all about money on booze from their bars, nothing to do with safety. I rarely see drunks turned down for another drink. They ARE a safety issue!

The rum runner site must love reading this stuff!

Lead people not into temptation, they can get their all by themselves.

Jimmy, Yes, I know, crazy rules. We just returned from the Legend, and I had an embarrassing situation too. By your picture we appear to be close in the age bracket.............not spring breakers. We were getting back on the ship after a very fun snorkel excursion. My sister was traveling with us and when we get together we turn into school girls and giggle. Well, we were going through the ships security, we were giggling, and I stumbled. I do have a "funny" foot and do not need any alcohol to loose my balance, even walked with a cane for four days after that. Yes, I had a cane packed for this very purpose.

We had lunch and returned to our cabin. There was a knock on our door, it was security. They locked our mini bar and took away my drinking priveleges for 24 hours as they "thought" I was drunk. DH and I went to the service desk to ask for a test........walk a straight line, say abc's etc. They refused to give me one. No amount of my medical condition was listened to.........very embarrassing for me. Never sent me to the Doctor, it was security's decision. When we returned to our room an invitation for an open bar past guest party was on our bed.......Go figure!!!:eek: And we even won a bottle of bubbly that evening!

You are correct, have to order some rum runners!:)

Hi Vickie, Knowing you, I got a kick out of reading this! While in Antigua on the Breeze TA last year, we took an excursion on a catamaran that included lots of booze. A prim and proper friend drank way too much. At the end of the excursion, Linda and the ladies husband had to carry her back to the ship and through security. She could not walk on her own. They never said a word. Tell Jerry we said hell! John

This is dumb. If you would have read the beer and liquor restrictions before purchasing all this stuff you would have already known this. You really can't be mad at Carnival for your lack of reading the rules. Maybe you're just upset that you can't have that free bottle of wine that your friends wanted to send you. Drink what you have and have fun. You should probably order some cheese to go with your whine. :rolleyes:

Edited by shawne71