More problems in Naples

Fblack

I have not been a fan of Naples for quite a while. It is a good place to start for tours to other nearby areas. The last time I was in Naples, it was loaded with trash, flies, thieves etc. But today's Wall Street Journal has an even better reason to stay out of Naples and go see Capri, Sorrento or Pompeii.

11/25/2013: Naples's Garbage Crisis Piles Up on City Outskirts

Toxic Bonfires Fuel Mounting Concerns About Contaminated Food and Water

"NAPLES—A new garbage crisis is exploding on the outskirts of this city long plagued by recurring trash-handling problems—this time fueling toxic bonfires that have burned unchecked and worries about contaminated water and food supplies. ...Though the area's waste-handling woes are long-standing, the effects on food and water safety have grown more apparent and intensified public outrage. Thousands of demonstrators last month took to Naples's streets to protest the garbage crisis and, last week,... The resurgence of Naples's garbage crisis reflects an entrenched mix of poor local administration, economic decline and mafia influence that has been a blight in much of Italy's south..."

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304465604579218014071052296

Whenever we hear stories like this our reaction is simply.....ahhhhh it's Italy! We love traveling in Italy and learned many years ago to just accept these kind of things and go with the flow. Naples is certainly no stranger to garbage strikes but this should have little impact on those taking excursions or going on their own to places outside the city (and suburbs). Those going to Capri would not have to put up with much of Naples since its only a short walk from the cruise port to the ferry terminal :)

Hank

I'm with Hank on this one.

Would it put me off living in the city of Naples?

Doesn't need to, there's plenty of other reasons already.:D

But a great port of call, difficult to figure quite what to do at a port where there are so many out-of-town alternatives.:)

JB :)

While this is indeed a shame (or better put, a crime), it's important to keep in perspective that someone visiting Naples for a day -- to go to the museum for instance -- is very unlikely to be impacted by this issue.

I'd have to guess that most cruise ship visitors to Naples do not drink any local water (as judged by the number of water bottle lugged off the ship and sold in restaurants and shops). As to food, the findings are still pretty vague and unspecific as to how much, if any, risk there is for someone who might be eating a single meal...

After visiting Naples multiple times I have to admit I dont find myself thinking of Naples when I think about Italy....... it just doesnt do it for me. We did stay in the city on one visit (I was feeling pretty crummy with a bad head cold one trip) so we visited the Archeological museum, had a short tour of the city and a pizza lunch. I can only describe Naples as "gritty". Pretty dirty and we did not find the people friendly at all. Unlike other places we have been in Italy.

We usually head out of town (as most do) as some of the most beautiful places on earth are a short car ride away :)

As for the impact this would have on a short day visit..... I think it would be minimal, but I always drink bottled water or WINE ;) so no worries there.

Every time I hear about Naples and it's "issues", I think of my ex-in-laws; the family comes from the Naples area, I say just blame them :D

You're only in that port for less-than-a-day; you won't be impacted. If it really bothers you, you have two choices: take a train/ferry or tour right away out of the port and onto Pompei, Sorrento, Capri, etc., or stay on the ship.

Whenever we hear stories like this our reaction is simply.....ahhhhh it's Italy! We love traveling in Italy and learned many years ago to just accept these kind of things and go with the flow. Naples is certainly no stranger to garbage strikes but this should have little impact on those taking excursions or going on their own to places outside the city (and suburbs). Those going to Capri would not have to put up with much of Naples since its only a short walk from the cruise port to the ferry terminal :)

Hank

Ditto :)