Think you have privacy in your cabin? - THINK AGAIN

TheSavvyTraveler

On our October cruise a outstanding citizen with a ice cube IQ walked down the hall way stealing some do not disturb tags, tossed some more on the floor, and then turned several more over to display the service room side.:mad:

When we went out early in the morning we found our tag missing and then saw several laying on the floor further down the hall way. When we told our room steward about it, he said he would replace ours. He also said that several doors in his area had been messed with.

That kind of jerk will cause problems for people.

bob

On our October cruise a outstanding citizen with a ice cube IQ walked down the hall way stealing some do not disturb tags, tossed some more on the floor, and then turned several more over to display the service room side.:mad:

When we went out early in the morning we found our tag missing and then saw several laying on the floor further down the hall way. When we told our room steward about it, he said he would replace ours. He also said that several doors in his area had been messed with.

That kind of jerk will cause problems for people.

bob

Oh poop, you're right. That just happened to me last week.

Princess uses one tag saying do not disturb on one side and service the cabin on the other.

Many hotels and some other cruise lines use two tags, one for each purpose. That prevents anyone from switching the sides on you.

Of course that does not prevent someone from switching your tag with someone else's tag or removing the tag.

Princess uses one tag saying do not disturb on one side and service the cabin on the other.

Many hotels and some other cruise lines use two tags, one for each purpose. That prevents anyone from switching the sides on you.

Of course that does not prevent someone from switching your tag with someone else's tag or removing the tag.

The cruise lines could prevent that problem all togather by building a sign into the doors.

The cruiser could slide a sign to indicate service or no service green for service red for no service . :)

This could be placed right above the deadbolt you lock the door at night and slide the No Service sign. into place.

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Yep, exactly how it should work. The steward knows to only disturb you in an emergency, in which case the alarms would be going anyway.:D

Don't count on it. On a cruise on the Celebrity Century in January this year, we estimated that on average our room steward knocked on our door then opened it FOUR times every day while we were in the cabin. When I was in my night clothes I would jump up and try to get to the door before he opened it and came in, but I rarely beat him. By the way, we didn't have a "Do not disturb" sign that we could put out. This was one of the most annoying aspects of that 15 night cruise.

When we boarded the Grand Princess after that, I remarked to our cabin steward that the steward we had on the previous cruise was annoying. He asked me in a concerned voice what the problem was. When I explained he said "No, madame, we are trained not to disturb the passengers when they are in their cabin." That is the way I like it. :)

What? you haven't read any of this thread :confused:

I mentioned very early in this thread that speaking with your steward at the very start of the cruise will set the boundaries of what is expected. If they do not take any notice of signage or just walk in without knocking then their manager should be notified.:D

Don't count on it. On a cruise on the Celebrity Century in January this year, we estimated that on average our room steward knocked on our door then opened it FOUR times every day while we were in the cabin. When I was in my night clothes I would jump up and try to get to the door before he opened it and came in, but I rarely beat him. By the way, we didn't have a "Do not disturb" sign that we could put out. This was one of the most annoying aspects of that 15 night cruise.

When we boarded the Grand Princess after that, I remarked to our cabin steward that the steward we had on the previous cruise was annoying. He asked me in a concerned voice what the problem was. When I explained he said "No, madame, we are trained not to disturb the passengers when they are in their cabin." That is the way I like it. :)

Did you request a sign from the steward on the Century so it would not have a repeat?

If we all got Alarms for our doors....OMG The false alarms would drive others crazy. :eek:

Exactly. Why not just create an elaborate mantrap to capture and incapacitate the intruder?

If you barricade yourself in your room and set up an alarm system you are a weirdo, and your weirdness is probably a far more effective deterant to people coming in your room than any alarm.

Edited by Cauzneffct

Passengers are often in their cabins when the steward has a reason to come in and the passengers want them to. As long as the do not disturb sign is out, the steward shoud not disturb.

However, without that sign, the steward should knock, wait a reasonable amount of time for an answer, and then enter if no answer. Otherwise, people who were in the cabin would complain that:

a) Their laundry was not returned

b) Their ice bucket was not refilled

c) The extra towels were not delivered

etc.

The thought of actually barricading yourselves in you cabin via wedges, bungee cords and vicious pit bulls etc is making me cringe! What would happen if there was a fire or you got incapacitated and they needed to get in? Think of safety first!

Ditto

I use it when I take a shower too. How do they know what you are doing?

The thought of actually barricading yourselves in you cabin via wedges, bungee cords and vicious pit bulls etc is making me cringe! What would happen if there was a fire or you got incapacitated and they needed to get in? Think of safety first!

I was thinking this too when some are talking about using wedges. Even when using a shower. We take our fresh clothes with us into the cabin bathroom and change in there (especially my hubby as he doesn't always know if our teen has come back to the cabin, and my teen doesn't want to be seen by even her parents in just a towel).

And you just never know what will happen when you're by yourself. The husband of one of my sister's best friends had a stroke while taking a shower, and he was just in his 30s. The wife came home and noticed the shower going, called my sister, who was living with me at the time, and at some point told my sister that she thought that was an awfully long shower. Fortunately he survived, but had to move into a rehabilitation center after that (may still be there some 20 years later). Even nowadays, I try not to take a tub bath unless hubby or my girl are home, and I keep the bathroom door open.

What about the crew members lives you have just put in danger trying to get a door open instead of evacuating the area themselves if there was a ship emergency.

I was thinking this too when some are talking about using wedges. Even when using a shower. We take our fresh clothes with us into the cabin bathroom and change in there (especially my hubby as he doesn't always know if our teen has come back to the cabin' date=' and my teen doesn't want to be seen by even her parents in just a towel).

Even nowadays, I try not to take a tub bath unless hubby or my girl are home, and I keep the bathroom door open.[/quote']

As we get older, we start thinking of the things that would/could hurt us. My big fear is falling in the shower from a stroke, broken hip etc. At home, I shut the door but I never lock it.

I like the idea to the door handle sensor alarm. That would only have to go off once for the cabin steward to get the hint. It's not like it would be going off all the time, unless the cabin steward is a perv :eek:.

I saw some on eBay. I think I will buy one. As a woman this seems to be something that will come in handy as I travel.

Since when is it a requirement for the "Patter" to be placed inside of the cabin? It is often not available until after 8:30 p.m., often several hours after the room has been serviced. There may have been a few exceptions but our patter has almost always been left in our mail slot. The steward was wrong to insist bringing it inside.

Passengers are often in their cabins when the steward has a reason to come in and the passengers want them to. As long as the do not disturb sign is out, the steward shoud not disturb.

However, without that sign, the steward should knock, wait a reasonable amount of time for an answer, and then enter if no answer. Otherwise, people who were in the cabin would complain that:

etc.

Agreed.:D

Since when is it a requirement for the "Patter" to be placed inside of the cabin? It is often not available until after 8:30 p.m., often several hours after the room has been serviced. There may have been a few exceptions but our patter has almost always been left in our mail slot. The steward was wrong to insist bringing it inside.

This begs the question of whether the steward was instructed to do that or if he had other motivation.

Am I the only one who thinks this just isn't that big a deal?

No, you're not the only one.

If one has a concern, they should talk to the steward or the supervisor.

I just want to clarify something here. While I personally think this isn't such a big deal and this subject has been beat to death, I do realize there are people who have valid private and personal reasons to be much more concerned about this than I. I in no way intend my remarks to reduce the validity of the concerns of others.

That said, I do get concerned when people get agitated enough to talk about alarms, barricades and other methods of keeping the stewards out of cabins at undesired times. It becomes a safety issue and a balance must be found.

etc.

I agree with what you say, but surely it didn't have to happen several times every day. In the situation I mentioned, the steward would knock and deliver the 'paper' for the next day (I can't remember the name for this on Celebrity). We would have preferred him to slide this under the door. We didn't send laundry out - we kept it for when we were on our Princess cruise. He would deliver face washers (even though we never used them); ice (even though we never used any); clean drinking glasses; spare toilet roll (we used that but he was delivering a spare to put in the cupboard in the bathroom).

I think he was badly organised that he didn't attend to these deliveries when he serviced the cabin in the morning. On sea days we were always out of the cabin for the majority of the time, but maybe we retired earlier in the evening than some people.