Question about Port departure times

tropical83

Hello,

I will be going on my first cruise July 2014 on the Splendor for my honeymoon.

I have a question about the departure times at ports. For example, our time in Grand Turk is only from 9am-3pm. Is 3pm the time that the ship actually leaves the port? Or is 3pm when they want everyone to be back and boarding the ship? What time do you suggest you be back and ready to board the ship?

That might be a silly question, but as I said I have never been on a cruise before! I am looking very forward to it :)

Thanks for the replies.

So you should basically be heading back to the ship and lining up an hour before departure time to ensure you are back on time?

I don't see us going to far from any of the ports, so i'm thinking we will be ok!

Thanks for the replies.

So you should basically be heading back to the ship and lining up an hour before departure time to ensure you are back on time?

I don't see us going to far from any of the ports, so i'm thinking we will be ok!

Go by the quoted "back on board" time rather than figuring it from the sailing time.

Yes, it's usually 30 mins before the quoted sailing time, but you'll be told the back-on-board time in the daily news-sheet & it'll also be posted at the gangway.

On Grand Turk you're unlikely to stray far from the ship, so the extra wiggle-time isn't as important as at other ports.

No need to allow time for a possible line to get back on the ship, they won't raise the gangway while people are shuffling in line ;)

Ditto at tender ports. As long as you're on the jetty by "last tender" time, if necessary they'll run tenders beyond that time to mop up the line.

No worries :)

JB :)

Before you leave the ship to go into port, make sure you take your photo ID, your cabin card, the ship's newsletter for the day (which will have the time listed as to be back on board), and a reliable watch that is set to the ship's time (sometimes the captain won't be going by local time).

Often if there's a line to get back on board, it's because port security will be checking each person's ID against the cabin card as well as often checking through bags you're bringing back (and sometimes even purses and backpacks).

As my hubby hates waiting in long lines (well, most people do), we usually try to get back on board an hour before sailaway, rather than wait til the last minute.

If it's a tender port, there's usually lines to board the tenders when it's close to the deadline, too.

Thanks for the replies.

Not necessarily, it depends on the port. In Grand Turk there is a good chance you'll be only minutes from the dock, so would be fine heading back maybe 10 minutes early. Once you are in line, you are fine. The ship won't leave a line of people.

Ok thanks sounds good! I was thinking there could be long lines with everyone trying to get back on the ship which is why I said start heading back an hour before.

Where you do get lines is at a port where you have to tender in - that is, ride a small boat from the ship to the dock. Grand Cayman is notorious for this on occasion. If all you have to do is walk on, you will be fine with 35-40 minutes to spare.

BTW, it is considered cruise entertainment to watch latecomers run like mad down the dock to get to the ship! This is especially true at Cozumel, which has a very long dock. People line the decks and balconies to cheer on the runners. :D

Ok thanks sounds good! I was thinking there could be long lines with everyone trying to get back on the ship which is why I said start heading back an hour before.

The length of the line varies with the time and the popularity of the port, but it has never taken us more than 20 min in line. They usually open multiple check in stations when necessary. If you are just in the near dock shopping area, you can cut the time a lot closer, but if you are coming by taxi, I would allow 20-30 minutes extra for any traffic delays.

I thought the lines could be only while leaving the ship and not on the way back:confused:

Usually only if you get back at the same time as a couple of tour buses. ;)

You pass thro an airport-type body scanner & your bags through another, takes only seconds but can take a very few minutes if those tour buses just beat you to the gangplank.

No worries

JB :)

I thought the lines could be only while leaving the ship and not on the way back:confused:

We've never experienced lines of more than a few minutes long disembarking or re-boarding a ship in port - certainly nothing that would compromise our time off the ship or suggest being back any earlier than the 30 minutes prior to sailing time.

And anyone in line will get on board in time. While the ship will most certainly leave on time, it will not leave anyone behind who is past the 30 minute window as long as they are on board by departure. We frequently see last minute stragglers racing down the pier.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Hello,

I will be going on my first cruise July 2014 on the Splendor for my honeymoon.

I have a question about the departure times at ports. For example, our time in Grand Turk is only from 9am-3pm. Is 3pm the time that the ship actually leaves the port? Or is 3pm when they want everyone to be back and boarding the ship? What time do you suggest you be back and ready to board the ship?

That might be a silly question, but as I said I have never been on a cruise before! I am looking very forward to it :)

I also wanted to add.......do "NOT" use your cell phone as your watch because sometimes island time and ship time are different. Always go by ship time.....you don't want to be late getting back because they will leave you!