Captains Club rip

cruisingourmet

The "New" captains club really sticks it to those who had 8 or 9 credits.

WHEN AT 8 Credits I was just 1 cruise in Concierge class or better away from Elite.

Now it will take at least 2 or more cruises to make up the difference and I don't appreciate it one bit.

When huge companies stick it to the customers then they better expect there will be complaints.

Especially when the next level has benefits of significant value. I estimate Elite level worth about $400 to $500 pp on a two week cruise

There is no way I will take another cruise on a company that CHEATS its clients out of paid & earned benefits.

For the last 3 years in a row I took cruises with X but this year I'll be looking at other lines. Why should I be loyal when they clearly don't care who they take advantage of.

The People in the Captain's club even acknowledged as much, "sorry nothing we can do" when I called today.

People who were in the original scheme should have been grandfathered in!

FINE to make new levels for those already at the TOP, but to move the goal post for those almost there is ruthless.

I will have my attorney look at the fine print, and perhaps force them to honor their agreement. I am local, so I don't have to travel to sue.

They can try to worm out of their legalese, but there are many consumer protection laws at the state & federal level regarding enticements for a contract.

Perhaps it is for the better I've seen most of the ships and there is a "sameness" to all the Solstice class ships.

Instead of my loyalty they can have my contempt, as I simply NOW HAVE A GREAT reason to explore OTHER Cruise lines

Wow, you have a much bigger problem than making it to elite on Celebrity. You obviously don't count your blessings and just be pleased that you are able to go on a cruise. Life Has more important values than perks and dollars. Suggest you refocus and just be happy that you can take a cruise.

WHEN AT 8 Credits I was just 1 cruise in Concierge class or better away from Elite.

Now it will take at least 2 or more cruises to make up the difference and I don't appreciate it one bit.

When huge companies stick it to the customers then they better expect there will be complaints.

Especially when the next level has benefits of significant value. I estimate Elite level worth about $400 to $500 pp on a two week cruise

There is no way I will take another cruise on a company that CHEATS its clients out of paid & earned benefits.

For the last 3 years in a row I took cruises with X but this year I'll be looking at other lines. Why should I be loyal when they clearly don't care who they take advantage of.

The People in the Captain's club even acknowledged as much, "sorry nothing we can do" when I called today.

FINE to make new levels for those already at the TOP, but to move the goal post for those almost there is ruthless.

I will have my attorney look at the fine print, and perhaps force them to honor their agreement. I am local, so I don't have to travel to sue.

They can try to worm out of their legalese, but there are many consumer protection laws at the state & federal level regarding enticements for a contract.

Perhaps it is for the better I've seen most of the ships and there is a "sameness" to all the Solstice class ships.

Instead of my loyalty they can have my contempt, as I simply NOW HAVE A GREAT reason to explore OTHER Cruise lines

$400 or $500 per person? Are you serious?

SEE You later

No, not elite yet, and it really doesn't matter. You just don't get it, too focused on $$$$ instead of just enjoying the pleasures of life that you are fortunate enough to have. I feel sorry for you, hope you have a nice Thanksgiving !

The "New" captains club really sticks it to those who had 8 or 9 credits.....

Looking at your past three years of cruise history, it appears you cruise in April or May. Have you already booked your cruise for 2014? There have been some spectacular Celebrity specials in the last few months.

If you have not booked, then you have nothing to discuss, because the program is now changed. If you have booked, a few nicely worded e-mails would likely have done the trick, but somehow I think it is too late for that.

Happy Holidays to you and enjoy Thanksgiving!:)

BILL

Guess you didn't read the part where they say they have the right to change the program at any time.

I too would be a bit disappointed if I had been that close to the next level, only to have it delayed a little longer. Waiting one additional cruise for Elite status isn't that big a deal. For the life of me though, I really can't see becoming that upset over something like Captains Club status - especially to the point of considering a lawsuit. I can't imagine what grounds there would even be for a lawsuit, especially when there is no fee to join.

I agree with a previous poster that if the OP had sent a polite letter or email describing the position he is in, along with details of any cruises already booked (if there are any) would have made a nice business case for X to make an exception.

And by the way, I'm not Elite either.

Edited by jaspersmommy

I don't understand the issue here. I had 8 points under the old system which =X= converted to 240 but then also gave me an additional 25 bonus points for a total of 265. When I go on my next cruise in Feb and stay in aqua class, I will earn 5 points for every night (5x7=35) which would then give me 300 points and put me at Elite level. That is exactly what would've happened under the old system. That is why they gave me the 25 bonus points ... to level the field between the old and new systems.

I don't understand the issue here. I had 8 points under the old system which =X= converted to 240 but then also gave me an additional 25 bonus points for a total of 265. When I go on my next cruise in Feb and stay in aqua class, I will earn 5 points for every night (5x7=35) which would then give me 300 points and put me at Elite level. That is exactly what would've happened under the old system. That is why they gave me the 25 bonus points ... to level the field between the old and new systems.

OP, are you implying that you did not get the extra 25 points? Based on this post your post makes no sense. Perhaps you are confused about what it takes to get to the next level?

It does appear that you have developed a bad feeling concerning Celebrity for no good reason.

I don't understand the issue either. I was one cruise away, am still one cruise away thanks to Celebrity giving me the 25 bonus points (points they didn't have to give those that were close). Did my booked 4 night cruise get me to Elite, no, so I changed it to a 7 night cruise (both cruises were concierge class) and I'll be Elite after this one cruise. And same for me, this is exactly what would have happend under the old system. Celebrity was very generous in giving us those bonus points for being good customers and being so close to the Elite tier.

BTW, the Elite benefits are not worth $400 or $500 to everyone, maybe worth about a $100 to me.

I also had 8 points and I don't understand the poster's issue. They got 265 points (8 x 30 = 240 + 25 = 265) add to that one 7 day cruise in concierge class (35 points) = 300 points/Elite status. Unless my math is wrong 265 plus 35 = Elite with this one cruise. Please, someone correct me if I don't know how to count correctly.

Cruisingourmet, I hope you enjoy your next cruise on Celebrity or what other cruise line you pick and I hope you come back on and let us know how you fared with Celebrity.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I agree with Brunel....you have 265 points and one 7 day cruise in concierge gets you to elite which is exactly where you were before the announcements.

Your calculations are also wrong on the savings. Not sure why you picked a 14 night cruise...heck you could have picked an 18 night one to better make your case.....qqbut 7 would be better. Then subtract two nights because elites don't get drinks on the first night or the night of the captains cocktail party. The 90 minutes of Internet time costs 49.95 not $90.

Perhaps you want to rethink your anger.....

Congratulations! I think it's wonderful that Celebrity did that for people who were so close to the next level. I think they have really tried to make this change as painless as possible for as many as they could.

Wow....Those were some very strong words by Cruisingourmet. I'm sure a lot of cruisers were very close to another Captain's Club Level but hey that's life! Sometimes you don't make the cut. So, if being Elite was your primary goal, you'll have to do like a lot of others and work harder to get there. As for us, we don't drink alcohol of any kind so having that perk means nothing to us but we do get excited over free laundry and internet minutes...We were close to the next level also but didn't give it another thought. We'll just wait a little longer to get there because we love to cruise and Celebrity will always be our first choice.

I am a charter member of the Captain's Club and actually had to pay $25 to join. We have not reached Elite yet but should after our next cruise in June. I think that Celebrity does an excellent job and are quite generous with the Captain's Club and enjoyed our lowly Select perks. We hadn't sailed Celebrity in a number of years because their itineraries didn't suit us when we traveled with kids. Now we enjoy what they have to offer and are taking full advantage if it. The OP has missed the boat on this (no pun intended). I apologize.

I'm not complaining (as a D+ on Royal I'm treated as elite on Celebrity), but as far as what I've earned on Celebrity, the conversion is not quite apples-to-apples for everyone:

Previously I had earned 6 credits (3 seven night cruises in SkySuite/Concierge class) so had earned Select status. After 2 more weeks in a Sky Suite I would have earned 4 more credits = Elite status

My 6 credits converted to 180 club points. 2 more weeks in a Sky Suite will earn me 56 x 2, or 112 club points. 180 + 112 = 292...still Select status, not the Elite I would have had at that point under the old system.

Now again, I get Elite anyway due to reciprocity so I don't really have any complaints, but this shows that some people essentially DID get knocked back a tad bit in the conversion. :)

Congratulations! I think it's wonderful that Celebrity did that for people who were so close to the next level. I think they have really tried to make this change as painless as possible for as many as they could.

I'm another person who is grateful for the program, and for those extra 25 points which will put me comfortably in Elite after my next 14 night cruise in CC on Millennium. Life is good. It also could be for those who insist on fighting the system instead of working with it. A shame that they waste their lives with self inflicted victim's mentality instead of counting their blessings because they are fortunate to be able to cruise on one of the finest cruise lines around.

Edited by boogs

Oh please ...