Ocean Princess Specialty Dining?

cowprintrabbit

DH and I are finding lots of reviews that mention Sterling Steakhouse and Sabatini's being open alternate nights on the Ocean Princess; but we're looking for an opinion whether they're worth the extra $.

One of the things we love about cruising is getting to know our dinner table, but if there's something amazing only available in the specialty restaurants, we might consider one night.

While we haven't partaken of these venues on the Ocean Princess, we have used both them on several other Princess ships.

IMHO, if you appreciate a higher level of service and the next-level of food, at only $20 per person, they are worth it. At least, they were worth it for us.

That said, depending on the length of the cruise, we only visit each once or twice and sometimes, not at all. Depends on the mood I guess.

Others have posted poor experiences, I believe they are the exception rather than the norm.

It's actually $25 a person, not $20.

Good catch.

Sabatini's and Crown Grill are now $25. Sterling Steakhouse and the Bayou Cafe and Steakhouse remain at $20.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/Dining_Options.pdf

Still worth it in my opinion, but I have a caveat. The quantity of food is huge. Even in the steakhouse when I select the smallest cut of meat, it is often at the border of being too much.

Personally, I think they're worth it but they're not for everyone. At the Sterling Steakhouse, I get the French Onion Soup, a filet mignon with baked potato, and a chocolate or gooey dessert. The filet is better than anything in the dining room. I stay away from the bread because if I eat bread, I won't have room for much else. Whether it's $20 or $25, it's a treat and special.

Personally, I think they're worth it but they're not for everyone. At the Sterling Steakhouse, I get the French Onion Soup, a filet mignon with baked potato, and a chocolate or gooey dessert. The filet is better than anything in the dining room. I stay away from the bread because if I eat bread, I won't have room for much else. Whether it's $20 or $25, it's a treat and special.

The bread, the bread! That's why I get so full, even with only an 8 oz. filet.

French Onion Soup and dessert ... hunger pangs are striking...

We haven't tried Sabatini's since they changed the menu a couple of years ago, but we do enjoy the steakhouses (Crown Grill, Sterling or Bayou) at least once per cruise. We find that the cuts of meat are superior to those in the MDR and the service is usually very attentive. We usually go on a night when we want to take our time and linger over dinner as they don't seem to want to turn the tables over as quickly as they do in the MDR. We especially like the Bayou on the Island and Coral, as after dinner we move right next door to the lounge.

Have never cruised the Ocean, but we are on the Pacific in April and I'm sure we'll try the steakhouse again!

The dining rooms are quieter, service and food is better. We enjoy them and they are great for birthdays and other celebrations. Portions are too large for me but not for DH.

Lately Princess steaks in the MDR have not been very good.

Edited by dorisis

Both the Sterling Steakhouse and Sabatinis (Italian) on OCEAN PRINCESS are quality dining experiences, and well worth the surcharge. Suggest you go to each once on your cruise .

Whilst the restaurants are separate premises, they alternate in opening nights . But this is just Princess being lazy as OCEANIA have identical Italian and Steak restaurants on their R class boats and they open BOTH every night (and without any additional charge !!!!) .

With Ocean Princess best to select your night and pre book your specialty dining via Cruise personalizer on their website once you have made final payment of balance .

With Ocean Princess best to select your night and pre book your specialty dining via Cruise personalizer on their website once you have made final payment of balance .

I did not realize that you could pre book specialty dining on Princess.

Thanks

Whilst the restaurants are separate premises, they alternate in opening nights . But this is just Princess being lazy as OCEANIA have identical Italian and Steak restaurants on their R class boats and they open BOTH every night (and without any additional charge !!!!) .

If Princess did not have any surcharge for these venues, they could also fill both of them every evening.

Both the Sterling Steakhouse and Sabatinis (Italian) on OCEAN PRINCESS are quality dining experiences, and well worth the surcharge. Suggest you go to each once on your cruise .

Not on the Ocean or Pacific Princess. I understand they are piloting this on the Royal.

That has always been my understanding as well.

For the size of the specialty restaurants on some of the ships, they appear to not be full. However, I do believe that Princess controls the number of bookings and makes it manageable for the staff.

I know that we have tried to get reservations for specific times, and we are told they are booked and yet the restaurant has plenty of seats/tables that are empty.

We've enjoyed our meals everytime.