How Old for Kids to Explore on Their Own?

katrocity1

My kids will be 12 when we go on our first cruise next year. They are asking me if they can explore the ship by themselves. I'm thinking no, but I wonder how other parents feel. Do the lines have an official policy? We'll be on Celebrity.

As a parent (though my children are grown)and as a substitute teacher (I do this to give back and for fun) I will be an advocate for your 12 year olds. My kids were 11 and 6 went they went on their first cruise and no problems of any kind had to be dealt with.

A lot depends frankly on how mature they are. If you have reasonable confidence that they can stay out of trouble, then allow them freedom to go places on the ship. However, if they are not very mature and will do things on a cruise ship such as throw things overboard, cut in line at the buffet, or treat the crew as servants, then maybe you better keep them close at hand.

What might help is a family meeting. Tell them that the Captain of a cruise ship is truly a master and commander of his or her realm. Further that captains have real power and can put the entire family ashore (at your expense) if their behavior is not acceptable behavior. Your interceding will have no bearing on the captain's decision nor will threats of legal action get you anywhere.

Have them sign a contract, specifying that they will do their best to behave.

Having said the above, remember that cruise ships have security personnel who patrol the ship and will be watchful of youth. Also, most cruise ships have areas reserved for children and teens. I can't verify how good these programs are but the programs endeavor to find interesting things for the kids to do.

I would give the kids freedom to have fun, with the understanding that decent behavior is expected.

Edited by Fredr
language

It really depends on them - and how well you really know them. If you are fully confident that they will not be disruptive or an annoyance to fellow passengers, that would give half the answer. Then, would you let them wander around a strange town you just came to visit, where they did not know anyone, while you were perfectly secure in the knowledge that they would not do anything foolish or dangerous?

You know them, you have to decide. There are some nineteen year olds who should not be inflicted on real people, so it is hard to set a specific age at which someone should be given free rein.

As long as there are 2 kids together, I think they will be ok. (Assuming they are adequetely mature.) I would make sure they are both wearing watches, and have a check-in period. 60 min or 90 min.

Bring post-it notes. Leave notes on cabin mirror where you two parents will be. Make them find you and check in periodically.

Got to trust them eventually. (But I have girls. A world of difference at that age.)

My husband has been in law enforcement his entire career so I tend to look at the world a bit differently.

Rather than wondering how my child would behave among 3,000 + strangers.......my concern would be what type of characters would be roaming the ship with my child?

I do agree you have to let them grow up, but I personally would not choose to do that in a floating city with 3,000 strangers. The bad people aren't walking around with a sign.....they will look like everyone else.

My husband has been in law enforcement his entire career so I tend to look at the world a bit differently.

Rather than wondering how my child would behave among 3,000 + strangers.......my concern would be what type of characters would be roaming the ship with my child?

I do agree you have to let them grow up, but I personally would not choose to do that in a floating city with 3,000 strangers. The bad people aren't walking around with a sign.....they will look like everyone else.

I agree with this. Not sure why people feel a ship is safer than any other place. There are crazies everywhere and a ship is no different.

Another consideration is how big they are physically. My 13 year old is taller and more fit than most adult men. If the children are mentally mature and responsible as well as physically mature, I would feel comfortable letting them explore for limited time periods.

Edited by Daisydaisy20

My boys are well behaved. I'm just more worried about other predators than their actions. Worried about them getting lost.

I like the ideas of brief periods of time to explore then check back in.

They are excited to try the kids club.

I see no reason for kids to "explore" or "roam"....I have no problem with them going from point A to point B....they should have specific reasons for going to and fro. Like from the pool to the WJ for a snack...or to the sports deck and back to the cabin....

After 9 years, they are allowed to sign themselves in and out of the kid's club....and that's fine. But, as a parent, I would have strict rules about checking in PHYSICALLY with me...telling me their plans, and letting me approve those plans.

The ship is huge. Kids have no real reason to be "roaming".

What is your normal routine at home? Do you often drop them off downtown or at a mall to explore on their own? As a parent, you need to decide what will work best for your family.

The family board here at cc currently has a 3 page thread on this topic. See the link below. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1907543

It depends on their maturity and if you trust them to behave responsibly and follow rules for their own safety. The rules I enforced at that age were to stick together, stay in public areas, let us know where they were going to be and if that changed to come find us and tell us, do not leave their drinks unattended and do not take drinks from others, do not go in other peoples rooms, and no one was to go into their room. Things we did included booking rooms near the stairwell/elevators so they didn't need to walk past staterooms to get to ours, always making sure they knew where we were going to be and if that changed finding them to let them know, and checking on them periodically to make sure they were where they said they would be. My kids are now 16 and 19 and we never had any issues with them. Most of the time they hung out with us anyways (their choice since they did not like the kids clubs and preferred to be with us).

As a mother and a grandmother I agree with this.

You knowing your children are well behaved and responsible is half of the answer, however there is no way you know if all 3,000 or so other people on the ship are all well behaved and responsible. There are kid's clubs where they can meet others their age and have fun. Beyond that you will need to decide how comfortable you are with them exploring the ship by themselves.

As a mother and a grandmother I agree with this.

You knowing your children are well behaved and responsible is half of the answer, however there is no way you know if all 3,000 or so other people on the ship are all well behaved and responsible. There are kid's clubs where they can meet others their age and have fun. Beyond that you will need to decide how comfortable you are with them exploring the ship by themselves.

The kids club ends at age 11. The teen club starts at age 12. I haven't sailed on Celebrity, but most activities in teen clubs start around 2 pm. I wouldn't restrict kids to the stateroom or joined to my hip until 2 pm.

For a pair of 12 year old boys, I would allow them to go to the buffet, the pool, etc with frequent checkins. I would not allow them out on their own after dinner. This is the same freedom I give at home. A pair of 12 year old boys are much better able to defend themselves than most adults I know.

Each child is different so we really can't say what you should or should not do at that age.

We did have our children in the children's program at that age. We also did let them do some exploring on their own because we felt they were mature enough to do that. We had rules though on their conduct, what they could and could not do, and we had specific times to meet up.

Keith

Studies show the greatest risk to our kids are from family members and those we trust. It's not the 3000+ strangers but the one or two weird family members or heaven for the the childcare workers whose background we did not personally check. Please check the real statistic on strangers vs people we trust. The worse are closest to us. After hours, unsupervised is another issue, but many here posted on another thread there is nothing to worry about.

OP- during the day (freaks come out at night) the child should be fine, especially with a friend. The ship has endless cameras and paid crew members in case something went wrong. If you have older kids be vigilant that they are not getting smuggled alcohol from friends they are hanging out with. Make sure they know the do and don't of going in a friends cabin or letting others in yours. Give them a camera and have them take pictures. You will be amazed to see the ship and vacation through the eyes of a child. Set guidelines, find a buddy need be, and let them see the wonders of a floating vessel. Enjoy the ship beyond the buffet and crowded pools.

That being said, in as little as 5 years he could be across the country at a college, with pretty girls, doing heavens knows what on your dime:D of course studying and making the grade.

Edited by Blk_Amish

It really depends on them - and how well you really know them. If you are fully confident that they will not be disruptive or an annoyance to fellow passengers, that would give half the answer. Then, would you let them wander around a strange town you just came to visit, where they did not know anyone, while you were perfectly secure in the knowledge that they would not do anything foolish or dangerous?

You know them, you have to decide. There are some nineteen year olds who should not be inflicted on real people, so it is hard to set a specific age at which someone should be given free rein.

Also some 39 year olds! :eek:

My kids will be 12 when we go on our first cruise next year. They are asking me if they can explore the ship by themselves. I'm thinking no, but I wonder how other parents feel. Do the lines have an official policy? We'll be on Celebrity.

I took my granddaughters on a cruise when they were 10 and 13. We would have breakfast together and talk about who wanted to do what. If the girls decided to change plans and couldn't find me to tell me, they left a note on the mirror [we used dry erase markers!]. I arranged for them to have a spending limit on their sea cards so that they could play in the arcade or get a soda without having my OK; we met for lunch - well . . . you get the picture. They were not allowed to go into another cabin; they could not have anyone in ours unless I was there.

We had a wonderful cruise. They had some independence, but under a controlled circumstance.

Agree!

And like everyone else the bad people do take vacations!

Studies show the greatest risk to our kids are from family members and those we trust. It's not the 3000+ strangers but the one or two weird family members or heaven for the the childcare workers whose background we did not personally check. Please check the real statistic on strangers vs people we trust. The worse are closest to us. After hours, unsupervised is another issue, but many here posted on another thread there is nothing to worry about.

I agree that many times these crimes do happen with people that are known to the family, however child predators have no problem placing themselves where children can easily be found. And an unchaperoned, innocent child "roaming" a ship would be an easy target because they can be easily tricked and mislead.

Sorry.....but you can continue to feel good about sending your children out among strangers but I will continue to keep an eye on my precious granddaughters because I will never take a chance with their safety.

I agree with many of the other commenters. However something you should talk to your kids about - if i see misbehaving (according to my conservative opinion) i do not hesitate to discipline other peoples kids, IFTHE PARENTS are not about. If the parents are about, i talk my issue to the parent. How would your kids handle a non parent discipline. Remember, everyone has their own parenting standards. Mine are strict. Running and yelling (including loud talking) would get my attention as well as the typical childhood pranks. When i see well behaved kids, i usually thank them so that they know us adults appreciate it. If they and you are not prepared for my discipline/actions, then dont let them roam outside your oversight.

I agree with many of the other commenters. However something you should talk to your kids about - if i see misbehaving (according to my conservative opinion) i do not hesitate to discipline other peoples kids, IFTHE PARENTS are not about. If the parents are about, i talk my issue to the parent. How would your kids handle a non parent discipline. Remember, everyone has their own parenting standards. Mine are strict. Running and yelling (including loud talking) would get my attention as well as the typical childhood pranks. When i see well behaved kids, i usually thank them so that they know us adults appreciate it. If they and you are not prepared for my discipline/actions, then dont let them roam outside your oversight.

While our individual limits as to what is acceptable might differ in degree, I agree with your approach. I will address bad behavior - with the child if alone or with the parent if they are letting things slide.

I agree that many times ( MAJORITY) these crimes do happen with people that are known to the family, however child predators have no problem placing themselves where children can easily be found. And an unchaperoned, innocent child "roaming" a ship would be an easy target because they can be easily tricked and mislead.

Sorry.....but you can continue to feel good about sending your children out among strangers but I will continue to keep an eye on my precious granddaughters because I will never take a chance with their safety.

Mine (18 and 15) aren't raised in a bubble so I know each time they are out of my sight, I am taking a chance. They go to school, church, sleepover, malls, camps ect. I also teach them street smart or better weird retaliative smarts before letting them go, so I know they aren't easily tricked, unless by a pretty girl. After that I truly pray for their well being and safety. If you have kids that can easily be tricked, or do not know how beware of their surrounding, even walking out of the way of others or, shouting indoors, it's best to keep them under your wings. This is truly a case of to each their own, so good luck.

Edited by Blk_Amish