Chops Grille worth it???

Does chops have lobster tails by chance?

Not on our Enchantment cruise this past September. If you are on a ship with Portofino, I believe they still offer the Spiedino entree which includes lobster.

Thanks for the responses! I'll try to chops steak at the main dining room!

Instead of that, why don't you have a full experience at Portofino? For a few more dollars you will pay for the service charge, you can have an entire evening and several courses instead of just one steak. Honestly, the best steak I ever had in my life was the filet at Portofino on Explorer. Delicious.

Full course meal for just a service charge? I've never eaten at portofino before, so is it similar to Johnny rockets where u pay the service charge and basically get what u want? Do they accept the premium drink package there too?

Yes, you pay a single service charge and order anything off the menu. However, they usually charge extra for two or more entrees. The drink packages can be used at any restaurant.

I guess I'm in the minority here on Chops. We did not feel it was worth the $35pp charge as the meat was an issue for everone in our party. Two had their steak under and the other two of us had a tough and flavorless porterhouse. I will say the apps and desserts are great though. The steak at Giovannis was very good and cooked perfectly. Although this won't help you on the Explorer. Just my 2 cents

Instead of that, why don't you have a full experience at Portofino? For a few more dollars you will pay for the service charge, you can have an entire evening and several courses instead of just one steak. Honestly, the best steak I ever had in my life was the filet at Portofino on Explorer. Delicious.

I agree - wonderful filet - and Portofino is cheaper than Chops. In any event, there is only Portofino on Explorer.

On Serenade we had an excellent experience. Steak was wonderful as was the service. It was like eating in a top steakhouse (tasted like prime). On Brilliance of the Seas, the steak was possibly "choice" quality - tough and not very flavorful. The service was OK, nothing fantastic. My guess is that the experience varies from ship to ship and depends on the staff (and possibly who buys the food). Serenade was March '12 for my husband's birthday and Brilliance was Dec. '12 for our Anniversary. After our Dec. experience, we decided in the spring on FOS - retirement celebration, to forgo Chops and "eat out" once we got home. Chicago has some excellent steak houses that are consistent.

Best question would be to someone who had been on "your" ship recently and had gone to Chops while on the cruise.

Going on Explorer in May for my birthday and wanted to know if the steaks at Chops Grille are worth buying. I've tried the steaks in the main dining and they're decent, but are the steaks better at chops? Thanks!

Yes, Chops is a must visit for us on each cruise. We usually go 2 or 3 times per cruise.

I'm sold I will definitely try it. Do they also serve different desserts than the main dining room and windjammer?

Yes, much better desserts in our opinion. They have a 3 dessert sampler that I usually get.