Carry ons?

Traumer08

Its going to be me and my husband going on our first cruise hopefully in June. I was wondering How many bags we can bring per person. We was thinking one suitcase each and he will bring a carry on. I was also wondering does a purse consider as a carry on?

The ship will be the Norwegian Sky

The cruise lines don't have strict limits like the airlines do. Each cruise line may have luggage limits buried somewhere in the fine print, but for all practical purposes, you don't need to worry. Many cruisers will show up with 2 bags each, plus carry-ons; experienced cruisers will have less, some will have more. The only strictly enforced limit we've seen is that the carry-ons must fit through the scanners, which are pretty much line what you see at airports.

Most cruiselines have a 200 LB per person limit....but they don't ever weigh anything! You are only limited if you have to FLY....go by the airline rules then!

If one does take 200 lbs of stuff the problem becomes one of storage. Can only store so much under the bed.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Put medications, valuables, ID, etc in your purse and/or carryon. You will want to check your large bag(s) when you get to the port (they might not go through the scanner [which is like an airport scanner] and you don't want to carry it around the ship until your cabin is ready.

You can carry on as much as you can carry, if you want.

If you can get by with one suitcase per person, one carryon for your husband and a purse for you, then you are traveling light! My wife packs so much stuff we have to usually rearrange to get under 50 lbs per bag at the airport.

After getting bumped once on a airline flight, I try to also put a change of underwear, toothbrush and toothpaste as well as medicine in my carryon. Might be a good idea for a cruise ship carryon as well. Although I have had no problems with luggage on a cruise, it doesn't hurt to be ready in case you do.

For the two of us (in our early 60s), even for a 2 month European land trip, two good-sized suitcases and two carry-ons are enough. The rule is basically that we are willing to pay one bag each for the flight, AND can carry/roll ourselves through airports/train stations/ walking to the hotel. Have to be self-sufficient.

But, on the other hand, don't you kinda wonder what it used to be like 75 years ago? I just love watching old movies that take place on "ocean liners" -

- of course, you just see the rich folks....and they're ALWAYS in formal attire every night ..... in dresses & heels /jackets and ties during the day.... such a kick to see...however, I'm a creature for comfort!

But it's those piles of cases, including those massive trunks (moveable closets) that I'd just love to see in the flesh..... but then, you'd need an army of servants to carry / pack / unpack.......

DH & I typically cruise with one suitcase and one carry on (usually a back pack) each. We've packed the same for our 7 night cruises as well as our 19 night Alaska cruise/tour and our 21 night cruise.

The secret is really mix and match stuff. 3 pants/shorts with 4 shirts will carry you almost 2 weeks. And we do pack formal wear, also.

For my 10-15 day cruises, I've taken two rolling duffels, a good size carry on, and my computer bag, plus my walker! I keep telling myself that I need to leave one duffel at home, but so far I've ignored the message.

Edited by Treven

Its going to be me and my husband going on our first cruise hopefully in June. I was wondering How many bags we can bring per person. We was thinking one suitcase each and he will bring a carry on. I was also wondering does a purse consider as a carry on?

The ship will be the Norwegian Sky

Hi and Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Basically, you can take whatever luggage you wish.

Look forward to having a great cruise!

LuLu

~~~~

^^^ Awesome photo

You can take pretty much what you wish, but remember you will be responsible for taking all carry ons to your room yourself. Also once you are in your cabin, you may want to store all items somewhere.

Since we travel with a child we have on occasion taken quite a bit.

2-3 large suitcases and a box of diapers and wipes which we check with porters.

1 computer bag

1 diaper bag

1 purse

backpack or two with drinks, medications, swimsuits, baby stuff and important items we don't want in checked luggage

stroller-which can be used to roll the bag of drinks

car seat

Before we had a child we took:

two suitcases to be checked with porters

computer bag

purse

1 backpack

As someone noted, put variables such as jewelry, cameras,and the like, as well as medications, passports, and whatever else you might need the first few hours in your carry on. You'll need to be able to carry/roll those onto the ship (and on some lines, keep with you until cabins are ready; on Princess, passengers aren't allowed to embark until cabins are ready) and you need to be able to hoist your carry on's until the conveyor belt to go through the security checkpoint. Everything else can be checked in with a porter.

You don't have to worry about a limit (unless you're completely overdoing things like Paris Hilton...but then, if she's going on a cruise, she probably will book the owner's suite anyway...otherwise, you won't have room to store more than a few suitcases between the closet and under the beds).

Unlike the airlines, you can take as many suitcases and carry-ons as you want.

If you are flying, that is where you will have luggage restrictions.

If you are driving -- take as much as you want.

Once you have unpacked, if your suitcases don't fit under the bed, you can give them to your cabin steward to store for you. He will bring them back to you on the last full day of the cruise.

If one does take 200 lbs of stuff the problem becomes one of storage. Can only store so much under the bed.

This might be a bit confusing to a newbie. Once you unpack most people store their luggage under the bed. Depending on the size of the cabin you book that is often the only place luggage can be out of the way.

However, we are the last of the big packers. My husband views cruises as an opportunity to wear his good clothes at night. So on a 10 day cruise he will wear a different dinner jacket for each formal night - and a suit, usually a different one for dinner each night. At first I fought him on this but then decided - why. It makes him happy.

ANYWAY - one time one of our large suitcases wouldn't fit under the bed and the steward took it away for the duration of the cruise and brought it back so we could pack on the last day.

Edited by SuitCaseBears