Are cruise lines cutting back??

Hula Hips

I cannot help wondering where all you discriminating gourmets eat when you are not on cruise ships. It certainly can't be Olive Garden, Pondeosa, Golden Corral, Bob Evans, etc., etc.,etc. I suspect many of you wannbe Craig Claibornes actually patronize McDonalds, Kentucky Fried, and Burger King -- but like to come across as having refined taste.

There has been a barf-inducing amount of BS posted on this thread.

Actually, DH and I have never had a meal at Olive Garden, Ponderosa, Golden Corral, Bob Evans and it's been at least 10 years since I ate a Whopper or Big Mac. :) We've never eaten at Applebee's, Lonestar or Outback or most any of the rest of them yet we go out for dinner very frequently and have for years. Some of those chains aren't even present in our area.

Not all of us eat at fast food or chain mass produced food restaurants.

I will agree many people do eat at these places or these chains would not continue to exist.

Agreed. I said the same thing back on page 1 but people keep adding to the thread and feeding her anger... oh well....

Yes, and when she ranted that no one had answered her specific questions about food, chairs and show, I foolishly took the time and addressed each one of those. She has not been back.

If she hasn't decided if she likes cruising after taking a couple, I highly doubt she will like cruising on any line. She needs to stay off the high seas.:D

Huh???? Having a bad day???? I agreed cruiselines have cut back, in the past 35 years. You might want to reread my post and pay attention to the meaning. I never said the food was terrible, nor did I make reference to it!! We don't get escargot often, as we once did. Actually, even the luxury lines have cut back!!

BTW, I can say with all honesty I do NOT eat fast food, except when taking a driving trip and that is all that is available. Do you really believe Ponderosa, Golden Corral, Bob Evans cater to refined tastes??? I think you shot yourself in the foot, IMHO!

I was responding to your assurances that someone would be very disappointed with the food on Celebrity - as you referred to your. "... second and last cruise with them..." -- I suppose you can assure that people will be "very disappointed" without stating that the food was terrible -- but you certainly implied it.

I avoid fast food places as well -- but have not yet seen an MDR dinner (excepting NCL) which did not offer at least one reasonably well prepared, well presented option. I have, on occasion, had to send back unsatisfactory offerings, but I honestly cannot read, without comment, all the blather being posted here about bad food.

I was responding to your assurances that someone would be very disappointed with the food on Celebrity - as you referred to your. "... second and last cruise with them..." -- I suppose you can assure that people will be "very disappointed" without stating that the food was terrible -- but you certainly implied it.

I avoid fast food places as well -- but have not yet seen an MDR dinner (excepting NCL) which did not offer at least one reasonably well prepared, well presented option. I have, on occasion, had to send back unsatisfactory offerings, but I honestly cannot read, without comment, all the blather being posted here about bad food.

Please tell me you really are not a teacher in real life, or related to one. It is very presumptuous of you to quote my post and say I was implying the food was terrible. Wow...you can't write anything on CC without someone trying to start something. You must be a Celebrity fan. I have never sent anything back and I always find something I can eat. But, the offerings are not what they were many years back. Sorry if that offends you.

Again, after 26 cruises among most of the lines, I repeat----there have been cutbacks in all the lines. And, I was very disappointed with Celebrity on our second cruise with them. That's my story (and opinion) and I'm sticking with it!!

Actually, DH and I have never had a meal at Olive Garden, Ponderosa, Golden Corral, Bob Evans and it's been at least 10 years since I ate a Whopper or Big Mac. :) We've never eaten at Applebee's, Lonestar or Outback or most any of the rest of them yet we go out for dinner very frequently and have for years. Some of those chains aren't even present in our area.

Not all of us eat at fast food or chain mass produced food restaurants.

I will agree many people do eat at these places or these chains would not continue to exist.

Subway is my favorite more for the veggies . I have a low tolerance for salt (blood pressure meds from heart surgeries) so I learned to cook some above average dishes and know when food is not seasoned or cooked well.

If I am going to eat it, the calories must be worth it. There have been a few meals not worth the calories.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Gosh, this topic is almost as inflammatory as "tipping"!

I have only been on a few cruises, all in the last 10 years. So I have no "good old days" of cruising to refer back to. Most of the MDR meals I have had have been very good. The buffets are often mediocre, but then they are buffets. Only a few buffets I have ever had qualify as very good, and they weren't on cruise ships.

I guess I am not all that discriminating where food is concerned. Eat to live, not live to eat.

Please tell me you really are not a teacher in real life, or related to one. It is very presumptuous of you to quote my post and say I was implying the food was terrible. Wow...you can't write anything on CC without someone trying to start something. You must be a Celebrity fan. I have never sent anything back and I always find something I can eat. But, the offerings are not what they were many years back. Sorry if that offends you.

Again, after 26 cruises among most of the lines, I repeat----there have been cutbacks in all the lines. And, I was very disappointed with Celebrity on our second cruise with them. That's my story (and opinion) and I'm sticking with it!!

No you can't share a thought without the attacks and put downs. Let's hope there is no connection to the profession and kids. God help us all if there is truly one.

Be grateful that you did not post the tip should be included in the fare :D

Haha, got the flame already :D

Edited by Blk_Amish

I am sorry for mentioning what your post strongly implied. I will not apologize for having been a teacher -- perhaps you could let me know why that offends you.

Gosh, this topic is almost as inflammatory as "tipping"!

I have only been on a few cruises, all in the last 10 years. So I have no "good old days" of cruising to refer back to. Most of the MDR meals I have had have been very good. The buffets are often mediocre, but then they are buffets. Only a few buffets I have ever had qualify as very good, and they weren't on cruise ships.

I guess I am not all that discriminating where food is concerned. Eat to live, not live to eat.

AMEN!

How about we stop for a moment and reflect. In with the good, out with the bad.

Food is subjective....VERY subjective. I don't think any of us goes on a cruise for the food! We go for the itinerary, for relaxation and for someone to do all the cooking and cleaning for us. We eat what is served to us, if not to our liking, we simply ask for something else. The wait staff is more than happy to oblige.

Yes, cruise lines (and lots of other businesses as well) have had to make some difficult decisions. My own family has had to cut back and it wasn't pretty! :eek:

Can we please try to extend a little 'holiday cheer' and recognize that we each are unique and what works for you might not work for me, but I don't have to be ugly about it??

I hope for peace and joy and smooth sailings for all my CC friends.

I am sorry for mentioning what your post strongly implied. I will not apologize for having been a teacher -- perhaps you could let me know why that offends you.

You posts come off mean to the point of cruel. So not the quality we wish to be around our children. JMOP

Edited by Blk_Amish

Just a few quick questions for Hula Hips....

What are you looking for in a cruise/vacation? Cruising is a very economical way to see some nice ports, but each line seems to cater to a different 'clientele'. Maybe you haven't picked the cruise line/type that is more in line with your expectations. (as my Mother says, part of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at!)

There are a lot of really smart people on CC. If you could tell us what you are looking for in a vacation maybe we can help you pick something that you will enjoy. Can you tell us what you did on the last vacation that you really enjoyed?

Sure I can tell you what we are looking for. Be happy to. While on a ship (especially more than a day) being we are from a very active community we like to keep busy. So Activities would be what we enjoy. Dance lessons, golf, a talent night (not just for singers) but every talent would be nice and a good variety to enjoy, lectures, classes (whether it be art, educational, cooking, etc..to choose from ) things to keep us busy. We don't drink so the bingo and trivia in bars would not be suited for us. Also a nice quiet comfortable place to read would be ideal. The sanctuary on the Princess looked very nice however there was a charge. Will Celebrity be different? Food that is yummy such as Royal had back in 2012. Entertainment (besides piano bars) where we can dance, dance and dance some more. Would be wonderful if disco music was earlier in evening so we could enjoy (not 11 pm opening up) Batting cage for hubby? We're now too old to climb rock walls. Great shows that last at least an hr in the evening. I gave you quite a bit of just some things we would love. Do you think it is an unreasonable request to expect activities on a ship to keep us busy? Many are being very critical of what I expect but when I spend good money and believe me we spent a fortune on the last cruise and the Panama one we do expect a lot. We enjoy many many activities just not bingo, trivia and gambling. So what say you??

just some more thoughts of what we do enjoy. Tai chi, Qigong, exercising in gym (great) country music, disco music, comedians, adult rated comedy, a variety talent show for cruisers (not just singing) , where are you from club, speed socials, art auctions, art lessons, dance lessons (not just line but how about ballroom, hula, belly dance, etc...) all day long to choose from. one heated pool on board for those of us who can't take the cold but still like to swim which is good for all medical conditions, bunco, left right center game, family fued game, name that tune from the 70's , 80's,

disco nights, country nights, blues night. Wow we love so many activities I could go on and on. I should have been an "activities coordinator on a ship" I could think of a million activities to keep everyone busy.

Sure I can tell you what we are looking for. Be happy to. While on a ship (especially more than a day) being we are from a very active community we like to keep busy. So Activities would be what we enjoy. Dance lessons, golf, a talent night (not just for singers) but every talent would be nice and a good variety to enjoy, lectures, classes (whether it be art, educational, cooking, etc..to choose from ) things to keep us busy. We don't drink so the bingo and trivia in bars would not be suited for us. Also a nice quiet comfortable place to read would be ideal. The sanctuary on the Princess looked very nice however there was a charge. Will Celebrity be different? Food that is yummy such as Royal had back in 2012. Entertainment (besides piano bars) where we can dance, dance and dance some more. Would be wonderful if disco music was earlier in evening so we could enjoy (not 11 pm opening up) Batting cage for hubby? We're now too old to climb rock walls. Great shows that last at least an hr in the evening. I gave you quite a bit of just some things we would love. Do you think it is an unreasonable request to expect activities on a ship to keep us busy? Many are being very critical of what I expect but when I spend good money and believe me we spent a fortune on the last cruise and the Panama one we do expect a lot. We enjoy many many activities just not bingo, trivia and gambling. So what say you??

Yes, for what you seek you chose the wrong line, which has nothing to do with cutbacks. Yes, they do exisit across the lines. Many book Princess, as I have for my anniversary, due to the lack of activities. My last cruise was on Carnival and I literally threw out my back going under the limbo. On RCL, I hurt in places I didn't know it was possible after doing ice skating, line dance, and rock wall in the same day. It's my 20th anniversary and I booked Princess which will force me to sit by butt down and enjoy the company of my DH. Yes, I know I won't be able to drop it like it's hot, a thought I do not cherish. As for people being critical or mean, I hope they take it out here than on the ones they are entrusted with. Take it was a smile or heck a drink:D

Overall you need about 3 different vacations on three different lines plus the all inclusive to cover you wish list. I suggest you choose a few must haves and find a line that will deliver them . Last year we bypass a cruise for a land vacation in Hawaii, for our must haves. Previously it was a Couples Resort in Jamaica. Carnival fun for my son's graduation.

Must haves on my next cruise are elegant ship, laid back vibe, romanace = Princess

Edited by Blk_Amish

Perhaps, then, it would behoove you to re-read navybankerteacher's post.

I cannot help wondering where all you discriminating gourmets eat when you are not on cruise ships. Sometimes it is convenient to choose one post that fits the bill; it's not an attack on one person, rather a reply to a group of like-minded, er, gourmets.

Indeed, I wonder the same thing. Having no history with the dear, dead glory days of cruising, I have found nothing to complain about on X or Royal. And I like Olive Garden. So there.

I have also been wildly entertained while perusing the various "I Hate Cruising Threads" this rainy afternoon.

It was a time when food was the thing that separated cruising from all other kinds of vacation. You would cry, I did, at the end of the cruise knowing it might be a very long time before you enjoy food that was prepared and served at that level. For decades I booked A/L for the booze and cruising for the food. Now food is no longer a reason to book a cruise or even dressing up, for me. We are starting to get food that tastes as if it on the menu of Olive Garden. If we can get it there we don't want it on the cruise, need cruisefaulous:p When your teenager is complimenting you on your cooking skills after a meal in the MDR, thing gone bad or he is up to something:D. JMOP!

Yes, I still enjoy it but for different reasons. RCL, ships are simple spectacular, unlike no other.

Edited by Blk_Amish

Ok, let's try to do this one at a time....

Cruise lines are going to cater to the most people they can, so some of your requests you just aren't going to find on ANY line....things like golf lessons or batting cage. These take up too much space and time (interest might be low as well). Talent nights - you might find, but I'd doubt it. The entertainment value will be based on the passengers. You can't guarantee top talent on every cruise. (On a previous cruise we were in the piano bar and the guy that used to play for Frank Sanatra played for us - but I haven't seen him since). Try to think of 'crowd' activities....you won't find much that is individual as it is staff intensive and only a few can benefit for it.

You WILL find dance lessons -Zumba on Celebrity comes to mind. Doubt you'd find ballroom dancing lessons, but you can find ballroom dancing on HAL.

Classes/lectures can be found on many cruises. There are specialty cruises which are lecture intensive which you might enjoy. Our last cruise was on the Celebrity Reflection and we went to a number of lectures - one being on the ciphers during WWII. Nearly every cruise has an art auction, so you could do that. Quiet, we do that on our balcony. It is quiet and very relaxing. Most ships have a library where you can check out books. My sister usually brings paperbacks with her which she donates to the library.

Dancing can be done on most ships. Our last cruise had an 80s night which was a blast. The one before had a dance contest. I doubt you'll find those activities prior to 11pm tho. Most of the partying goes on from 11 - 1(2).

We've always enjoyed most of the evening shows. We aren't huge fans of the singing, but I enjoy the choreography and watch the dancers. Bigger ships will have bigger shows. RCI has the Blue Man Group and the Broadway show Hairspray!!!! Doesn't get any better than that! Many ships have smaller venues for more adult shows (late night comedy).

RCI has a LOT of activities, especially on the mega ships. Ice skating, rock climbing, zip lines, water slides, etc. they may not be to your liking, but they are there. Carnival is the PARTAY ships.....lots of activities and dancing every night.

I would venture a guess that most ships expect you to view excursions as your primary activity during the day, so port day activities will be at a minimum.

I noticed that you are from the Villages. Remember that cruise ships try to entertain the masses.....personal activities are limited as they are trying to entertain the most people in a very short time with limited space. If you are looking for a more personal attentive vacation, you might look at an All-Inclusive.

Also remember that the bigger the ship, the more varied the activities, but the more people.....smaller ships will have more attentive staff, but fewer activities.

Food is VERY subjective, but remember that they are trying to feed 1000 people at the same time. Again, you won't get 5* food unless you opt for a specialty restaurant.

I do hope you find the vacation you are looking for. There are variations even within cruise lines...even on the same ship from sailing to sailing. Good luck and smooth sailing. :)

Do you think it is an unreasonable request to expect activities on a ship to keep us busy?

to my mind, yes. you want to be entertained 24/7. at least that how your posts come across. you have extremely unrealistic expectations when it comes to shows. want something that lasts an hour? go to Broadway. you fail to comprehend the major logistical issues that plague any stage show on the ship.

the ship primarily transportation to the real entertainment.. the ports.

you would probably be way happier at an all inclusive.

Sure I can tell you what we are looking for. Be happy to. While on a ship (especially more than a day) being we are from a very active community we like to keep busy.

Ah ha. This post made me notice the Villages. Yep. That explains it. You all are sorta notorious for getting "busy." ;)

I only wanted to mention something on the 'bland food' mentioned I the first post. We were on Celebrity & did the galley tour. One of the questions to the head chef was from an Indian gentleman who said he loved their authentic Indian dishes, but they didn't have enough salt in them. The chef explained that they purposely use less salt in the meals due to so many people having dietary restrictions. This way people could add salt if they wanted but others didn't have to worry about having too much salt it he food.

First of all this question is going to get you several different types of responses depending on long one has been cruising and what lines they have cruised on...It's all very subjective. All depends on ones likes and dislikes. For me I own a catering company so I could be more critical but also more understanding of the various meal services offered. Frankly most of the lines blow my mind with the outstanding job they do. It's very difficult to prepare food for each persons taste and seasoning requirements. With all the various food allergies and such they tend to go on the side of caution with their dishes, and of course with the ever rising food costs menus have to be adjusted to keep prices low. Personally I can't eat the type of meals I eat on a cruise ship and vacation and stay in any type of hotel for the price I may on a cruise ship. And the entertainment has always been good to fair, never great to begin with, so no real change there with the exception of many lines cutting back on the live music. I don't go on a cruise looking to be entertained, I go to relax, have fun and meet new friends, which it always seem we end up meeting very special new friends on every cruise we go on...I have cruise on practically every line with the exception of Disney (and my kids tell me I'm missing out that they are terrific too), but it's not hard to learn who the various lines cater too, hopefully you will find the perfect fit, but if you go expecting perfection, there's only one way to go and that will be down, since even with the best laid plans things happen....

Yes, cruise lines are cutting back and changing many things. The food is not what it use to be for sure. The always available menu on Princess for example, leaves me cold, i.e., hamburger steak??

Having cruised for years, we approach each cruise and cruise line based on what we want and are not shy about asking for what we want. Relative to food, we generally order off menu, after talking to the Matre'd. Just finished a cruise on the Grand Princess, California Coastal in September. We had late setting, traditional dining, MDR was nearly empty each night, we have a great table for 2, special ordered every night. The only so so dinner we had was the first night because we could not special order.

We love peace and quiet, so we book a mini suite or balcony and enjoy being at sea.

We actually have found the short shows are more to our liking, so not all changes are bad. Regardless, we learned sometime ago, if something is not working for us on a cruise, we pass on it and move on to something else. That includes food and the MDR service. On some cruises and/or lines, we skip the MDR entirely. Instead, we decided to simply have a late lunch from the buffet, basically picked up what we liked from the buffet and took it back to our cabin to enjoy on the balcony. Other times we have gone to a speciality restrauant, really depends on what we like best.

We are elite on Princess, elite on Celebrity, 2 star on HAL, currently cruise Cunard and NCL. Over 30 years we have cruised 9 different lines, well over 45 cruises, have lost count. So we compare and contrast lines, each has its strengths and weaknesses. Key for us, is knowing what we want and like and seeking that out while on board any ship.

I do agree the price of cruising is less today in general. I recall the first Mediterranean cruise we did back in l989, we did a 12 night cruise from Venice to London, on Royal Cruise line. I recall we paid $3,500 each for a limited view cabin, for the cruise only, we purchased air on our own separetely. We have done a number of Mediterranean cruises since on Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, NCL, Crystal, and HAL. If we paid as much as $3,500 and most cases we paid a lot less, we booked a balcony or mini suite for the price. Big difference from a limited view cabin for the same price many years ago.

I don't know whether cruising is for you or not. I do know if you know what you like and seek it out while on board you can maximize your cruise experience. Happy travels. :)

Prices are much much lower especially as adjuster for inflation do of course you aren't going to get the seafood extravaganza Buffett of lobster and crab legs that once were available

If we didn't and the prices reflected that you'd probably be complaining about the prices

Cruising is still the most economical vacation where you get the most bang for your buck especially if you spend wisely and not too much in things like spa treatments and lots of casino gambling

It used to be had for us to afford a cruise every few years, now we can take one or two or even more if we wanted to a year because of the incredible prices.

If you want Michelin star dining either stay on land or cruise the small higher end smaller boats . You hip just aren't going to get that level for the $100 or less per person a night cruises available on the big ships today

It was a time when food was the thing that separated cruising from all other kinds of vacation. You would cry, I did, at the end of the cruise knowing it might be a very long time before you enjoy food that was prepared and served at that level. For decades I booked A/L for the booze and cruising for the food. Now food is no longer a reason to book a cruise or even dressing up, for me. We are starting to get food that tastes as if it on the menu of Olive Garden. If we can get it there we don't want it on the cruise, need cruisefaulous:p When your teenager is complimenting you on your cooking skills after a meal in the MDR, thing gone bad or he is up to something:D. JMOP!

Yes, I still enjoy it but for different reasons. RCL, ships are simple spectacular, unlike no other.

In the beginning, I was loathe to book a cruise, and ended up loving it. Mind you, we cruise for the ports, all Mediterranean. Our most recent was on the Splendour, which doesn't have the bells and whistles of other RCI ships, and it's a far cry from our only other ship, Equinox.

Both times on Equinox, we ate in Blu, so dinner was an event every night. This year, our main meal of the day was local food and wine in port, then a light supper in the Windjammer.

So, we don't care about MDRs, shows, entertainment, classes, games, etc. We can enjoy upscale dining all year round (DH prepares better meals than any of the expensive, hoity-toity restaurants in our area), and our favorite activities are people watching and recreational sleeping. The ship is a hotel that carries us to new places. Most of all, living in the mountains, we love being on the sea.

And, yes, I enjoy Olive Garden, but have no illusion that it is authentic Italian food or three-star dining. Funny thing is, OG is the only place around that serves the Sicilian wine I like.

Everybody cruises for different reasons. Ours is neither the food nor onboard activities.

It's the beauty of a Princess ship, the activities of RCL and some dancing for mature people. The liquor is top shelf, the food spectacular and the staff amazing. Yes, cruising might be cheaper but not a better value if it's not meeting the need. Going back and forth gives you a greater appreciation of what each vacation has to offer. With air from the west coast this trip would be around $3K more than the Royal Princess.

11253825535_7e6e63810e.jpg

[/url] ,

11253914723_85ff51bd8c.jpg

by ,

11253914533_742b9c410f.jpg

by ,

11253854486_1c11b5b07b.jpg

Edited by Blk_Amish