Are cruise lines cutting back??

Hula Hips

your pics are beautiful When you say all inclusive do you mean a place like Sandals?? the pics look beautiful of Sandals however isn't it all young couples??

This is actually Couples Resort (that's the name of the resort:-) but similar to Sandals. This is adults of all ages with the extra touches. A few times per year they have great sales. We have booked this resort in the summer (low season) from $350-$400 per night which is $175-$200 per person, with activities, meals, and top shelf alcohol. Honestly, I don't care which shelf the alcohol is from, but saying top shelf sounds good:p Cruising can give you the most bang for you bucks but other vacations can provide a better bang for the dollar.

Airtran flies to Jamaica and sometimes offers 2 free tickets for getting their credit card.

This is the Grand Sunset Princess in Mexico with swim out suites. It's going to be hard to get everything on one vacation but there are great options beyond cruising.

I KNOW, I KNOW, some people don't want to go to either places. This is merely to provide other options. Going from cruising to all inclusive can be a bit overwhelming for some.

Where, what area, which one???? Now, I am conflicted again between land and sea:D

11257905335_7d8c5e2634.jpg

[/url] ,

Edited by Blk_Amish

We've enjoyed a great many resort vacations in Caribbean, around U.S. and in Europe. We never do all inclusives as that is not our style. We prefer to choose our hotel/resort and like to go out and about around the area for our dinners and often lunch as well. We are not looking for Subway sandwiches or Big Macs. :D

The prices of our suites on cruises, though considerably higher than an average verandah cabin, are still lower than what we pay for nice stays in the resorts I reference.

Despite paying top prices for ship suites, we have done the arithmetic and spend less when we cruise.

Edited by sail7seas

The right all inclusive can make the transition from cruising to land easier. Kids up to 13 are free or discounted, so the right one can work out cheaper for a family with young children. Many greater choices beyond the big boat.

KFC in different countries taste different but McDonald's petty much the same. Subways in Hawaii don't have a $5 footlong but $6. You can get a better burrito in South California than some of the tourist areas in Mexico. Wine in Italy is cheaper than soda.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by Blk_Amish

We don't eat McD's or Subway at home. We surely don't eat that when we travel. ESPECIALLY in Europe...... why would someone eat McD's in Italy when they can be eating such amazing food? A lot of the adventure of travel is eating the local cuisine. We enjoy a lovely dinner served beautifully in restaurants we have traveled far to sample.

We all seek what we want from a vacation and there is no right or wrong.

We would never, ever dream of a footlong sub as something to eat when we travel. That is NOT to say someone else should not. We're more apt to have the French Onion soup and a baguette in Paris or Osso Bucco in Rome. :) KFC....... in Europe? No, I don't think so. Not to our taste but no reason for others to not enjoy.

Different strokes and all that. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Local cuisine is not always kid friendly and can be very expensive. Just different options to experience the world when your stay is beyond a few hours. All inclusive resorts helps.

You can get better gelato in Vienna than Rome.

Subway has tons of veggies and less junk for road trips. Kids like their comfort food when away from home from two weeks to a month.

Edited by Blk_Amish

Have the Sacher Torte and Strudel in Vienna. ;)

From the airport to this, Vienna Beer Festival:p

Trips beyond cruising take a lot more planning and more work. It's worth trying once you get the fill of the boat. I used to get back to cruising for the food that I simply did not have the chance to enjoy on regular vacations, especially with kids.

11263392454_9e8408f002.jpg

[/url] ,

Edited by Blk_Amish

My "kids" (ages 30 and 26) prefer land tours to cruising as the cruise leaves port around dinner time. They enjoy sampling the dinner fare from each location as it provides a better cultural experience. I can't disagree with them.

Cruising is nice to see the sights.....all the more reason to "mix up" vacations!!

From the airport to this, Vienna Beer Festival:p

Trips beyond cruising take a lot more planning and more work. It's worth trying once you get the fill of the boat. I used to get back to cruising for the food that I simply did not have the chance to enjoy on regular vacations, especially with kids.

11263392454_9e8408f002.jpg

Ahhh, Beer Fest in Munich is a must !! (If one gets the chance....)

I would think travel is such an opportunity to introduce children to new tastes and experiences. Why feed them what they get at home in fast food places when you can broaden their horizons so vastly? It will serve them well their whole lives. Travel is so enlightening and chance to taste, see, hear, feel, touch all new things. We learn so much of what the rest of the world is about.

I wouldnt dream of telling anyone how to care for their children but it seems such a missed opportunity to feed them a fast food burger when they could be tasting weiner schnitzel.

I would think travel is such an opportunity to introduce children to new tastes and experiences. Why feed them what they get at home in fast food places when you can broaden their horizons so vastly? It will serve them well their whole lives. Travel is so enlightening and chance to taste, see, hear, feel, touch all new things. We learn so much of what the rest of the world is about.

I wouldnt dream of telling anyone how to care for their children but it seems such a missed opportunity to feed them a fast food burger when they could be tasting weiner schnitzel.

I agree. My son when younger was among the pickiest of eaters, yet discovered in Rome at age 6 that he loved penne arrabbiata .... and gelato, of course. (An aside on gelato: I beg to differ with the other poster. While SOME gelato in Vienna may be better than SOME gelato in Rome, there are places in Rome that make and serve artisanal gelato that IMO is not equaled anywhere else I've tried it...) Anyway, recently in Paris my son became a foie gras aficionado, so much so that I had it as our Thanksgiving meal starter this year. :)

The one place that gave us some difficulty was Japan. We were there two weeks on our own and he's not a fan of seafood. In desperation we did stop at McDonald's a couple of times, but then we discovered noodle houses and there was no looking back...!

Ahhh, Beer Fest in Munich is a must !! (If one gets the chance....)

I wouldnt dream of telling anyone how to care for their children but it seems such a missed opportunity to feed them a fast food burger when they could be tasting weiner schnitzel,

They have been blessed to have experienced so much, now 15 and 18. Travel for us is not always about doing this that is completely different but also the same. They are away from home sometimes for long periods of time. They have had Marghetia pizza in Rome and know it's not as meaty as Pizza Hut. Yeah we have had weiners. Land vacations give of a chance to experience the familiar and the unfamiliar. A big part is what we see, Trivi Founatin, Spanish Steps, Vatican Museum, St. Peters Basilica at sunrise without the crowd and before the fountain are turned on. Being in Vienna at the Schonbrunn Place for the classical summer concert with 100K people yet you can hear every single note.

In the past we returned to cruising for the food because trying escargot on my budget is a no no, which my son happened to like:eek: We chose traditional dining so they learn to dine differently and dress properly for the occasion. As toddlers I packed their favorite snacks. I have a keg and beer on tap at home but went to a Beer Festival. The Alaska Brewery is not bad, either:D

11271654314_923e04202b.jpg

[/url] by , on Flickr

11263538855_320d7f023f.jpg

Edited by Blk_Amish

Weiner schnitzel is a very thin, breaded and fried veal. It is a classic dish in Vienna. It is not a hot dog/weiner. :)

I think it wonderful when children get to experience and learn so much from travel. It broadens them greatly and adds a sophisitication that will serve them well in their lives.

Lucky are the children who get to travel so much.

Whether it be cruise or land travel or AI or whatever...... it's all good.

I DO think there have been severe cut backs on the ships and some are really starting to suffer badly for it.

Edited by sail7seas

Of all the places we have been, the place I find most fascinating is the USA. No, not because of McDonald's and Subway:p:) I love seeing the US and all this country has to offer but McDonalds and Subway make it possible at times.

“People travel to faraway places to watch, in fascination, the kind of people they ignore at home.” – Dagobert D. Runes

Happy cruising;)

On the topic of cut backs, is it really true Carnival just cheapened its MDR experience by removing tablecothes? :confused:

Yep. The change has been made on one ship at this point and will roll out to the rest over time. I believe they will still use them on "elegant night".:rolleyes: Unfortunately they have been cheapening their product gradually for quite some time now.

On the topic of cut backs, is it really true Carnival just cheapened its MDR experience by removing tablecothes? :confused:

It appears they did. Now, whether or not the experience is cheapened by doing so, that's a whole other discussion.;):)

IMHO the MDR experience is not "cheapened" by the removal of table clothes. The MDR experience on Carnival is more casual....their dress code reflects that. IMHO what they did by removing the table clothes was make the MDR a more casual experience to match the more casual dress code that many Carnival passengers prefer. The casual atmosphere is in direct response to the wants of their target market. They will still have the table clothes on Elegant nights to reflect the more elegant atmosphere of those nights. I fail to equate "casual" with "cheapen"....but if removing the table clothes keeps costs down too, then I don't have a problem with that either. I don't need the illusion of elegance that some of you want from a MDR that is anything but on a Carnival cruise. If that is what you are looking for in a cruise line, then I suggest you look elsewhere.

Edited by Warm Breezes

IMHO the MDR experience is not "cheapened" by the removal of table clothes. The MDR experience on Carnival is more casual....their dress code reflects that. IMHO what they did by removing the table clothes was make the MDR a more casual experience to match the more casual dress code that many Carnival passengers prefer. The casual atmosphere is in direct response to the wants of their target market. They will still have the table clothes on Elegant nights to reflect the more elegant atmosphere of those nights. I fail to equate "casual" with "cheapen"....but if removing the table clothes keeps costs down too, then I don't have a problem with that either. I don't need the illusion of elegance that some of you want from a MDR that is anything but on a Carnival cruise. If that is what you are looking for in a cruise line, then I suggest you look elsewhere.

I am not Carnival's target market so yes, I do look elsewhere. But what I will say is, in this context, "casual" just sounds like a euphemism for cheap. JMHO. :)

If the tablecloths were the only recent change, then I could probably see it as just a move toward an even more casual atmosphere, but when it comes on top of other changes Carnival has made in the last couple of years, its just one more thing to make me no longer consider them. Pool bands replaced by a dj, live orchestras in the main theater replace by pre-recorded music, menus dumbed-down with meatloaf, fried chicken etc. and on and on. Yet the dancing waiters remain.:rolleyes:

I would say that the dining experience at a place with meatloaf,fried chicken, flatiron steaks and mac 'n cheez won't be lowered with the elimination of linens. I'm wondering how long before Carnival's dining room will just be a cafeteria a la Morrison's.

If the tablecloths were the only recent change, then I could probably see it as just a move toward an even more casual atmosphere, but when it comes on top of other changes Carnival has made in the last couple of years, its just one more thing to make me no longer consider them. Pool bands replaced by a dj, live orchestras in the main theater replace by pre-recorded music, menus dumbed-down with meatloaf, fried chicken etc. and on and on. Yet the dancing waiters remain.:rolleyes:

Sounds pretty grim - I suppose that when the waiters spill food whilst dancing it does not stain the tablecloth now.:rolleyes:

I am not Carnival's target market so yes, I do look elsewhere. But what I will say is, in this context, "casual" just sounds like a euphemism for cheap. JMHO. :)

Cheap would be replacing the linen with sheets. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Casual here spells classless. At home or away, certain touches, add class. Money doesn't buy class but buys a few yards of fabric that add class to a dining setting. Dining is an experience that is more than just eating food. JMOP.

Edited by Blk_Amish

Perhaps the original question on this thread SHOULD have asked:

"Are cruise passengers cutting back?"

The answer is a definite YES.

Today's average cruise passenger pays less for the cruise, and spends far less money once onboard.

But operating a cruise ship costs more and more every year.

Cruise lines then make less revenue and less profit.

So they have less money to spend on passenger perks and amenities.

That's when the cruise lines are forced to cut back.