Free Drink Coupon...

SoCalKJ

Please forgive if this topic has been beaten to death, brought back to life and then re-beaten to death ad infinitum...

Why can't the free drink coupon be redeemed at ANY bar on the ship? I usually don't eat in the MDR during breakfast, lunch or brunch (dinner only...but you can't use it then....grrrr) so my coupon goes to waste every time.

What gives?

Please forgive if this topic has been beaten to death, brought back to life and then re-beaten to death ad infinitum...

Why can't the free drink coupon be redeemed at ANY bar on the ship? I usually don't eat in the MDR during breakfast, lunch or brunch (dinner only...but you can't use it then....grrrr) so my coupon goes to waste every time.

I have one thing that may help. Brunch by far in my opinion on the dream was the best meal I have ever had on any cruise ship(never been to the steak house). I don't drink that early so I always order a beer unopened and save it for later. Or you could RAK it ( Random act of kindness) to someone.

On the Triumph, I got in the line of people waiting to go into the dining room, and I had the coupon in my hand. The bartender saw me, asked what I wanted, and came out with it a couple minutes later. I took it and headed up to the lido deck. I never stepped foot in the dining room. If that doesn't happen, & you wind up getting seated, just tell them that all you want is your drink, and they'll get the bartender for you. Get your drink, and head on out. On the Breeze, they allowed the coupon to be redeemed at the atrium bar, which is what I did.

I agree that I don't like the restriction of it. I wish it could be used at dinner or anywhere anytime. But it's quite obvious that Carnival is hoping that many of them go to waste. Mine won't.

On the Triumph, I got in the line of people waiting to go into the dining room, and I had the coupon in my hand. The bartender saw me, asked what I wanted, and came out with it a couple minutes later.

Most of my cruises since the changes to the past guest (oops, VIFP) program and the introduction of the coupon have been on Fantasy class ships, where breakfast and lunch are in the forward dining room. The drink servers have to go in the atrium piano bar outside the dining room to actually make the drinks, so you can catch them on their way in or out and order a drink with the coupon without even going to the dining room.

I went down at 1:30, and got in a line of people who were ordering drinks right outside the MDR on a brunch day. This was on the magic. No big deal.

Its worth stopping by the MDR on a sea day for brunch and picking up a free drink. We were just on Conquest and they actually had a small bar set-up right in the front of the MDR.
We used ours at the Bloody Mary bar just outside the MDR on the Glory this summer.

The 2 drinks we got were quite strong and well made. This coupon isn't that hard to use. To quote Sammy, " No big deal".

I have one thing that may help. Brunch by far in my opinion on the dream was the best meal I have ever had on any cruise ship(never been to the steak house). I don't drink that early so I always order a beer unopened and save it for later. Or you could RAK it ( Random act of kindness) to someone.

Actually--you can't. To process the coupon they take down your folio number for tracking. Even our five year old niece has to show her card to get her Shirley Temple.

What gives?

You don't have to eat in the MDR at all. You can walk in the door and tell the hostess all you want to do is order a drink and they will get a cocktail server to come to you.

How hard is that? No need for the coupon to go to waste.

You don't have to eat in the MDR at all. You can walk in the door and tell the hostess all you want to do is order a drink and they will get a cocktail server to come to you.

How hard is that? No need for the coupon to go to waste.

For the seaday brunch they had a mimosa and Bloody Mary bar set up in front of the dining room, you can use the coupon and not even go in dining room.

However, I am not one to pass up the eggs Benedict and the Ceaser salad looked

great, I am getting one next time.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Even some of the snarkier posts are (kinda) helpful.

As we know, different ships provide different services and what might be allowed on the Glory may not be on the Pride...or the Inspiration...or the Ecstasy...or whatever. But being reminded that it never hurts to ask or try is good for the next go 'round, so thanks for the hints. :-)