ASSIGNED SEATING... doors will now close after 20 minutes

Elaine515

John just posted on his Facebook page that the Maitre Ds will at 20 minutes after the dining room being open they will kindly invite the guest to enjoy the Lido Deck. The Cruise Directors will also communicate this in the Funtimes as well..

I think its a great idea....

John just posted on his Facebo ok page that the Maitre Ds will at 20 minutes after the dining room being open they will kindly invite the guest to enjoy the Lido Deck. The Cruise Directors will also communicate this in the Funtimes as well..

Brilliant!! This is a very welcome change to me. Might even consider signing up for assigned seating in the MDR again.

I think this is long overdue. I have talked with people that really felt as long as the arrived during the dining time they were OK. I would have hated to be their table mates.

I also know there will be people complaining about being turned away.

While I think this is a great idea, right now it is a proposed decision and while it does look like it will happen it has not been finalized. Here is John's actual post...

"I had a call with the beards yesterday and one of the things we spoke about was a topic that when I spoke about it here had 1000 plus replies. The subject was at what time we should close the doors of the dining room when people come late for assigned seating. It seems that we are going to start being tougher with this and excluding unexpected difficulties a guest may have resulting in being late, the Maitre D’s will at 20 minutes after the dining room being open kindly invite the guests to enjoy Lido. The CDs will have to communicate this in the Funtimes as well.

Anyway, before a final decision is made I wanted to ask you if you think a 20 minute cut off is OK?"

I agree.. I remember our very first cruise for some reason we would run up to 15 min late the first couple nights. we told the waiters to please don't wait for us to serve the other 2 at the table. but then made a point of being on time. Until I read that one book after that cruise, i never realized how tough it is for the wait staff to get our meals and how making them wait longer for guest's can be a pain. glad I don't make them wait anymore :)

I think this would be good, and having the announcements is perfect because we know ppl don't "read" what they should to know to be on time. just like ports lol

Hope they finalize it soon. Our last cruise in Oct. there were 4 people at the table next to us that came atleast 30 minutes late every night. One night we were eating desert when they came in. I felt sorry for the waiters.

John just posted on his Facebook page that the Maitre Ds will at 20 minutes after the dining room being open they will kindly invite the guest to enjoy the Lido Deck. The Cruise Directors will also communicate this in the Funtimes as well..

Love it.....love it.....love it!!!!

I agree 100% that 15 minutes is plenty, but this is better than what they had before, which was nothing. I too hope they abide by this and don't let the belligerent, screaming person in to "avoid a scene." You know the people with entitlement issues out the wazoo would be the ones raising all kind of Hades because "it's their vacation, they paid for it, and by God, they're going to eat in the dining room." You can hear it now. Loudly. :rolleyes:

20 minutes is very reasonable, IMO. As long as it is widely broadcast that if you have assigned time dining you have 20 minutes to get to your table or find another place to eat I have NO problems with this. They used to shut the doors and there was nowhere else to eat! It's a dining room, not a cafeteria.

I agree 100% that 15 minutes is plenty, but this is better than what they had before, which was nothing. I too hope they abide by this and don't let the belligerent, screaming person in to "avoid a scene." You know the people with entitlement issues out the wazoo would be the ones raising all kind of Hades because "it's their vacation, they paid for it, and by God, they're going to eat in the dining room." You can hear it now. Loudly. :rolleyes:

I just retired from Disney...know all about and HATE that kind of person!

Not written in stone yet. But it is a good idea.