ASSIGNED SEATING... doors will now close after 20 minutes

Elaine515

I think it is a good idea. However, another change to get more parents to the dining room on time is to have the Camp Carnival dinner on Lido start 15 minutes before dinner seating.

Several times we were late for dinner because check-in for the children's dinner was supposed to start at 6 and they were running late, and there was a line, so we didn't get to the dining room til 6:15/6:20.

I think it is a good idea. However, another change to get more parents to the dining room on time is to have the Camp Carnival dinner on Lido start 15 minutes before dinner seating.

Several times we were late for dinner because check-in for the children's dinner was supposed to start at 6 and they were running late, and there was a line, so we didn't get to the dining room til 6:15/6:20.

This is my one concern about this new rule as well. It's not fair to punish people who did make an effort to get to dinner on time but were slowed due to Carnival's poor Camp sign in procedures.

I do however, think closing the doors is a good idea, but in order to enforce it, they will have to do something about Camp dinners too. Perhaps this is the exciting new announcement relating to families?

As in past years and decades now. The Cruise was great.. that is still a truism but lacking now the quality which was.

People arrived to be seated and eat on time as they were concerned about table-mates too.

I hope cruising as in the oceans ebb and flow comes back now to better service, quality of consumables too , and on-time dining!

Yes arriving at the ship having a served lunch on embarkation day. A few of Carnival's Lines still practice this on some ships.

An example I was doing business in AK, YT, NWT, and B.C. was in Vancouver for a few days prior and my friend a syndicated outdoor sports writer and his wife were coming in from New Jersey/NYC for another cruise with us. We boarded and were directed to the MDR for lunch. They closed the MDR Doors. Our friends arrived yet had to go up to the LIDO ( we use other words) and eat. We had the best American beef fillet, rainbow trout etc.. :cool: We had a wonderful B2B cruise.

Yes those days I was getting FAXed aboard a lot too, so I guess they can be termed past FAX Days..;).

If Carnival enforces the closed doors it is well.. but ( nicer ) words a lot of times from them are really like the current admin ..loquacious palaver..:eek:

I see no issues with this policy, but then again we have never shared a table .. we have always sail with either kids or friends. always do 815 seating and Dinner has always been consistent in regards to time frames for .. about 1 3/4 hrs

I guess it was suck if table mates were late often . I do think with all the talk of the over worked staff ( that might be correct) a real issue I have observed is people thinking their wait staff/team is their personal friend .. last cruise the other table had to work thru incredible amount of questions of home land, family , ship life .. the next nite they had to look at the pax pics of their home and family..

they are there to serve food , not be specimen from bongo bongo or treated like their long lost prodigal son

I see no issues with this policy, but then again we have never shared a table .. we have always sail with either kids or friends. always do 815 seating and Dinner has always been consistent in regards to time frames for .. about 1 3/4 hrs

I guess it was suck if table mates were late often . I do think with all the talk of the over worked staff ( that might be correct) a real issue I have observed is people thinking their wait staff/team is their personal friend .. last cruise the other table had to work thru incredible amount of questions of home land, family , ship life .. the next nite they had to look at the pax pics of their home and family..

they are there to serve food , not be specimen from bongo bongo or treated like their long lost prodigal son

The problem with this line of thinking is some people don't think past their table. Lateness affects everyone within a particular servers range of tables.

Then choose ATD or go to the Lido at a time that suits you :).

You missed the point, but I expected that...

Big deal, it's dinner, I can't believe people are getting so bent out of shape.

This is a vacation... I guess people are missing that. :rolleyes:

Oh well, this is the reason I stopped going to the MDR years ago... Too much production, too much wasted time, and jamming 16 people into a table meant for 6.

Oh well, this is the reason I stopped going to the MDR years ago... Too much production, too much wasted time, and jamming 16 people into a table meant for 6.

I was going to try to respond to this but couldn't come up with any words to define how incredibly selfish this is. So I'll just say, it's incredibly awesome that you choose not to go to the MDR anymore.

Happy cruising :D

Not only their friend but the clean-up person for their toddler. They don't belong in the MDR, no more than they belong in Las Vegas. A few years ago Vegas said they were going family so I took my kids. I spent the entire weekend covering theirs eyes. My lesson was because they said it was Ok for us to come, doesn't mean I should have taken them.

Yes, I have children. No, I chose not to for MDR on cruises or ala carte dining at resorts until they could appreciate the fact this type dining is long and take time to be served. No, they are not expected to go to the kids club at a particular time, interrupting the flow of the meal. They need a family dining room with high chairs, mats on the floor, oh heck a puppy to eat up the droppings. When I am sitting all dolled up to eat, no one's toddler is cute, not mine, not yours, not his, not hers, not theirs. JMOP,JMOP!

As for lateness that can be about culture. Heck, my wedding was at 2 pm but half the invitations had 2 pm and the other half had noon. Yes, some with the noon invitation were still late. Some will see the time as a suggestion because of culture which is merely different than right or wrong!

Edited by Blk_Amish

It's more than dinner, it used to be an occasion for people to experience something different, something wonderful. I have had great meals at home or even in restaurants but none that I get dressed up for every evening. Yes, I liked traditional dining because it gave me a chance to dine with people that shared at least one of my interest. Again, something I don't usually do elsewhere at other dining venues.

Edited by Blk_Amish

We had inconsiderate tablemates who routinely showed up at least 20-30 minutes late for the 8:15 seating--we had to book it to the theater for the late show thanks to them almost every night. They didn't seem to have a clue!

They would have had a big clue after I was done talking.

It is about time.....

I have watched people stroll in 45 - 60 minutes late EVERY night....

There is just no excuse for such ignorant rudeness.

I totally agree. Not only is it rude, it interrupts everyone else's dinner while the crew scrambles. Nothing toasts my cookies more than that. I actually think some do it on purpose to enjoy being the spotlight. My guess the Maitre'd and staff can handle the late badgers that try and enter. We actually saw someone turned away on the Breeze in April, we were just getting our dessert menus (sitting at one of the round tables two tables inside the doors). I made a point of thanking the asst. that refused them entry.

I guess I did...I thought your point was that it's vacation and time shouldn't be a factor...guess I was way off, my apologies for not reading your mind appropriately. However, it is my vacation also and I like to do things on MY vacation that require time to be a consideration. I'm not bent out of shape, I'm just considerate of those around me whether I know them or not and I do expect (and deserve) the same consideration.

I must agree with Vanessa though, it's incredibly awesome that you choose not to go to the MDR anymore. I wouldn't want you to "stroke out", it is vacation after all :).

Happy cruising!

As someone who served our country, I would expect you to have more respect for others.

I have been in the food service business for 20 years and know first hand how hard it is to coordinate feeding 1000 people....... Late comers DO have an effect on everyone, especially those being served by the same waitstaff team as the latecomers.

Dinner is one of the highlights of my day on a cruise and many feel the same way....... It doesn't mean we are bent out of shape because we feel that way and respect the fact that it isn't only our vacation, but also the vacation of everyone else around us.

Interesting discussion , this change will lead to more people choosing ATD .

NCL is the best, Carnival will soon follow.

I sincerely hope that Carnival doesn't go solely to ATD. ATD is why I don't sail NCL. I like having the same table and wait staff every night and the few times I've tried ATD (I wanted to like it, really), I just do not like having a different person wait on us every night. It just feels so impersonal. I suppose if I'd had some servers that were as rushed, forgetful or impersonal at scheduled seating as others I've read here, I might feel differently, but after 40+ cruises I guess we've been blessed. On the other hand, we do NOT go into the MDR expecting a Chili's or Friday's experience. We enjoy leisurely meals and enjoying our food, not scarfing it down. So our expectations might be set differently than others, as well.

That said, I agree with you 100% that A) I hope this is well enforced and B) does encourage people who cannot fathom that being 30-45 minutes late to a scheduled seating is ridiculously selfish, to move to ATD when they can show up whenever they choose. It's win/win.

Edited by Vanessa L

It's my understanding that ATD is very often waitlisted because it's so popular, so more people choosing ATD probably wouldn't help a lot (now CCL expanding ATD to allow more people to choose it might help).

Wow!

I sincerely hope that Carnival doesn't go solely to ATD. ATD is why I don't sail NCL. I like having the same table and wait staff every night and the few times I've tried ATD (I wanted to like it, really), I just do not like having a different person wait on us every night. It just feels so impersonal. I suppose if I'd had some servers that were as rushed, forgetful or impersonal at scheduled seating as others I've read here, I might feel differently, but after 40+ cruises I guess we've been blessed. On the other hand, we do NOT go into the MDR expecting a Chili's or Friday's experience. We enjoy leisurely meals and enjoying our food, not scarfing it down. So our expectations might be set differently than others, as well.

That said, I agree with you 100% that A) I hope this is well enforced and B) does encourage people who cannot fathom that being 30-45 minutes late to a scheduled seating is ridiculously selfish, to move to ATD when they can show up whenever they choose. It's win/win.

All I can say is our dining on NCL was spot on, every where we turned there was someone assisting with our every need.

:eek:

It's my understanding that ATD is very often waitlisted because it's so popular, so more people choosing ATD probably wouldn't help a lot (now CCL expanding ATD to allow more people to choose it might help).

We go at five forty five , use to do early but that changed when platinum's could no longer get guaranteed dining times ,never had a problem getting in or seated, service :eek: entirely different story.

The more people that do better for us since we don't get our gty dining time anymore:rolleyes:

That's my one complaint with NCL is the MDR. While they have the freestyle dining down. I like having the same wait staff every night

The more people that do better for us since we don't get our gty dining time anymore:rolleyes:

That's my one complaint with NCL is the MDR. While they have the freestyle dining down. I like having the same wait staff every night

Rookie question here...is the gty dining time different from the assigned seating dining (6:00 & 8:15). I've seen a couple of comments about people not getting their gty time but didn't know if it was different.

Rookie question here...is the gty dining time different from the assigned seating dining (6:00 & 8:15). I've seen a couple of comments about people not getting their gty time but didn't know if it was different.

One of the perks they took away from Platinum cruisers, was gty dining time, of either the early or late assigned dining time.

Edited by jonbgd

One of the perks they took away from Platinum cruisers, was gty dining time, of either the early or late assigned dining time.

Thank you. I just wasn't sure if it was something different. I'm not platinum but have always booked early enough to get the time I want so I didn't know it could be a problem (although I've heard others talk about being waitlisted).

Thank you again for clarifying it for me :). Have a great day!