ASSIGNED SEATING... doors will now close after 20 minutes

Elaine515

"it is my cruise, I will do what I want"

Showing up very late become one of those "doing what you want" the only problem is that no matter what a cruise line provides you, they cannot teach you manners!

RUDE! Gland they will return to the days when, you had to, like it or not, comply with just a bit of social etiquette!!!!!!

I agree 100% that 15 minutes is plenty, but this is better than what they had before, which was nothing. I too hope they abide by this and don't let the belligerent, screaming person in to "avoid a scene." You know the people with entitlement issues out the wazoo would be the ones raising all kind of Hades because "it's their vacation, they paid for it, and by God, they're going to eat in the dining room." You can hear it now. Loudly. :rolleyes:

I totally agree with you on that point.

This part of John's message seems to set up the scenario you've described: ...excluding unexpected difficulties a guest may have resulting in being late... It leaves too much gray area for argument.

I hope they enact it, shut the doors and draw the drapes at 20 minutes so they can just be done with it!

Edited by The4Cruisers

What about the disabled passenger's? I have seen too many able bodied passengers rush to get on the elevators before a person in a wheelchair can, the same goes for those with other disabilities. That makes the time limit bad, it might even be against the ADA rules

What about the disabled passenger's? I have seen too many able bodied passengers rush to get on the elevators before a person in a wheelchair can, the same goes for those with other disabilities. That makes the time limit bad, it might even be against the ADA rules

I really don't mean to sound crass about it, but it's not like people with disability were routinely showing up 20+ minutes past the start of their assigned dining time before this rumor got floated. Whatever actions they need to do to ensure they live their life in a timely fashion I am sure they are well aware of and have made compensations for, just like everyone else will need to do to ensure that they comply with the window of time for entering the dining room.

No one is being denied the ability to eat. They are being denied entry after a time window has passed. To me that is no different than expecting a show to start late because you arrive late. I don't see this as anything to do with ADA.

Why don't they just start taking orders without waiting at all? On our first and only cruise we didn't show up a couple nights in the MDR, but I didn't think the waiter was waiting for us.

We were a table of 4, so nobody would've been waiting but maybe some people are newbies who don't know better.

Why don't they just start taking orders without waiting at all? On our first and only cruise we didn't show up a couple nights in the MDR, but I didn't think the waiter was waiting for us.

We were a table of 4, so nobody would've been waiting but maybe some people are newbies who don't know better.

When you are sat in mixed groups the wait staff generally try to wait for everyone. Otherwise it can REALLY throw off the pace of service for everyone. Having people stroll in 30 or 45 minutes past the start of dining makes it exceptionally difficult on the wait staff. This results in a lowering of service delivered to ALL in that servers area. Everyone deserves good service on a cruise and by reinstating the door closure policy (a throwback to the old days by the way) they are ensuring that everyone in the dining room receives good service.

Your choice to go to dining room or not, no issue there, but IF you know ahead of time that you aren't planning to come the next day it is courteous to let the wait staff know so they can plan appropriately. If you change your plans on the fly, no big deal really, but communicate when possible.

Outstanding! I have never had to wait before as we are Always there right at 6, maybe a few minutes before, Cause who wants to wait around for the WCMC!! I never knew ppl with assigned seating were so inconsiderate! Now I can see if a shore excursion thru Carnival got back to late. that should be the only exception...

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge of Carnival dining rooms. What if someone needs to run back to their room or use the restroom very quickly and they leave the dining after already entering and placing their order. Will THEY be allowed back in?

Not trying to start an argument, but there have been times where I've needed to use the restroom. I'd hate to be locked in!

I really don't mean to sound crass about it, but it's not like people with disability were routinely showing up 20+ minutes past the start of their assigned dining time before this rumor got floated. Whatever actions they need to do to ensure they live their life in a timely fashion I am sure they are well aware of and have made compensations for, just like everyone else will need to do to ensure that they comply with the window of time for entering the dining room.

No one is being denied the ability to eat. They are being denied entry after a time window has passed. To me that is no different than expecting a show to start late because you arrive late. I don't see this as anything to do with ADA.

I'm glad they are looking at 20 minutes and not 10 though because it is more difficult and depending on the location of the dining room, there isn't necessarily time for someone in a wheelchair to show up early.

When on the Dream with my mother (who uses a wheelchair full time) we were assigned the aft dining room (though the forward dining room would have made more sense but I'm not going to get into that). Having to take the elevator, there is only a small waiting area. The first night we left plenty of time to walk the length of the ship and get an elevator (and yes, we needed to wait for 5 or 6 of them before we could get on). Once we got to the correct floor, we couldn't get out of the elevator! The area was packed with people and there was not enough space to actually get the wheelchair off the elevator. The second night was a similar experience (though that night there were some very nice people who moved those blocking the elevator doors so we could get off right away).

After that, most nights we would wait on floor 5 until 8:15 (when the dining room doors opened) and then catch an elevator down. We were regularly 10 minutes late to dinner trying to catch an elevator.

I agree with this. I honestly didn't know until AFTER my cruise that the waiter was waiting for us before he took orders. When I read that after I returned I felt terrible. I won't keep people waiting on my next one, but I didn't think I was being inconsiderate. I just figured my tablemates had just arrived too.

They should post that the doors will be closed after 15 but really allow the late comers up to 20 along with a warning.

WHY?? Fifteen mins. is enough time to be "late" for dinner. That is just plain rude, rude,ride.

Back to the good old days -- I think it was 15 minutes back then, and there wasn't really anywhere else to eat, but the MDR for dinner. People were on time! :)

People who are chronically late beleive their time is more valuable than anyone else's. :mad:'

I think it is terrific!!! We have been on many cruises lately and see people coming in 35 and 40 minutes late. They just stroll in like everything is just fine. Ugh!!! I hope they put this

new rule in action right away. :)

John just posted on his Facebook page that the Maitre Ds will at 20 minutes after the dining room being open they will kindly invite the guest to enjoy the Lido Deck. The Cruise Directors will also communicate this in the Funtimes as well..

I think its a great idea....

Great news! Another retro policy put back in place! Kudos to Carnival. Keep them roll backs comin'!

When you are sat in mixed groups the wait staff generally try to wait for everyone. Otherwise it can REALLY throw off the pace of service for everyone. Having people stroll in 30 or 45 minutes past the start of dining makes it exceptionally difficult on the wait staff. This results in a lowering of service delivered to ALL in that servers area. Everyone deserves good service on a cruise and by reinstating the door closure policy (a throwback to the old days by the way) they are ensuring that everyone in the dining room receives good service.

Your choice to go to dining room or not, no issue there, but IF you know ahead of time that you aren't planning to come the next day it is courteous to let the wait staff know so they can plan appropriately. If you change your plans on the fly, no big deal really, but communicate when possible.

When we didn't show up it last last minute decision, getting kids ready to get there on time didn't help either.

We rush around enough at home, hate having to do that on vacation.

This time we booked your time dining, so I'm looking forward to that - not having to rush to get kids ready for dinner!

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge of Carnival dining rooms. What if someone needs to run back to their room or use the restroom very quickly and they leave the dining after already entering and placing their order. Will THEY be allowed back in?

Not trying to start an argument, but there have been times where I've needed to use the restroom. I'd hate to be locked in!

Knowing that you have a propensity to need to go during dinner, it might make sense to go just before dinner, that way, you're good for the hour and a half or so through the meal. It's similar to when your mom would say, "please go to the potty, we're going on a long car trip and won't be stopping for some time." Since you know that you're likely to have to go during dinner, that may help.

That said, I'm sure if you were already in they'd let you back in. Though I can see the late folks eventually figuring this out and using it as an excuse, "No, MD I was in, really, we just stepped out to pee. For really and truly."

Edited by Vanessa L

I certainly hope they will make this change! However I think twenty minutes is too long. Make it no later than 15 minutes.

On our cruise last month I was amazed at the number of passengers who strolled into the dining room 30 to 45 minutes late! There were quite a few of them. Very rude to the waiters and other passengers who manage to be seated on time.

Great idea, I was hoping something like this would be implemented soon. It irritates me to the core when table mates show up 30 minutes late and dinner has been delayed because of their incapability to be on time...:rolleyes:

Great idea, I was hoping something like this would be implemented soon. It irritates me to the core when table mates show up 30 minutes late and dinner has been delayed because of their incapability to be on time...:rolleyes:

Totally agree ....long overdue.