Out to the bow??

bazzaw

We discovered on Voyager and Radiance of the Seas -- that you can go right out onto the very front of the bow of these ships. Now I have seen on Youtube that you can do the same on Holland America's Staatendam and Volendam..

You can't do this on Cunard ships, or P&O UK or P&O AUS ships.

What other ships allow this feature???

Barry

We will be on Voyager in February - is there a secret to getting out on the bow?

On P&O Pacific Jewel you can get out to the bow.....but it is not really obvious. Well, maybe not quite out to the bow, but definitely have good viewing from the front of the ship and not many people know about it. (Well, at least, they didn't until now :D). You have to access it on Deck 10 and I think it is only from the starboard side. Its a great spot!

We will be on Voyager in February - is there a secret to getting out on the bow?

On P&O Pacific Jewel you can get out to the bow.....but it is not really obvious. Well, maybe not quite out to the bow, but definitely have good viewing from the front of the ship and not many people know about it. (Well, at least, they didn't until now :D). You have to access it on Deck 10 and I think it is only from the starboard side. Its a great spot!

Yes -- that's the well known "secret spot" :)

But I am talking about -- RIGHT OUT ON THE BOW -- as in Titanic style. No secret to it on Voyager just start out on the outside promenade deck and walk forwards as far as you can go!! :)

Barry

Crystal Cruises allow you onto the bow. If you check the bridge cams on their ships you can see steps and a rail on the bow where passengers can go. It is usually only used/open during scenic sailing and for sail ins/outs.

Thanks David

Something to be aware of .

Just "thinking" of possible Alaskan cruise and a ship that allows access to the bow would be an added benefit

How about Princess ships???

Barry

On the Dawn Princess (& Sun/Sea I assume), the bow area has a crew pool, so no pax allowed. The promenade deck on Diamond goes right out to the bow, but it is under cover from the deck above, so doesn't have that open feel about it. Still a nice place to view proceedings. Remember having the place to my self (well almost..) early one morning cruising down the Great Barrier Reef - magic

Regent have hosted sail away parties on the bow.

When we were in Fremantle on Dawn Princess , Seven Seas Mariner was behind us and we watched her sail away.They had a 3 piece band and waiters were serving drinks and canapes.

(There were more staff than passengers as I dont think people could find the way out there....:D)

Sailed on Radiance NYE last year. Going up to the bow I thought would be great and it was during sail in/out of ports but guys when you are at sea its extremely windy up there - to the point of being quite uncomfortable. You'll notice very few people up there during sea days.

Silversea's expedition ship had the bow open when we were ice cruising and there was a polar bear close. People were out there filming. It made for great viewing.

Solstice had people on the helipad when we were cruising Milford Sound but it seemed they were invited to be there. The area was closed at other times.

Edited by Aussieflyer

Silversea's expedition ship had the bow open when we were ice cruising and there was a polar bear close. People were out there filming. It made for great viewing.

Solstice had people on the helipad when we were cruising Milford Sound but it seemed they were invited to be there. The area was closed at other times.

You've had some wonderful experiences on cruises AF.

On the Freedom class ships you can get to the bow on the helipad but there is a well hidden stairway to get there.

Pacific Jewel will allow you out the very front as part of the Titanic Experience for P&OEdge, but they charge you for it.

No sense in not making a dollar when they can I suppose! A bit like ship's tours now where once they used to be free but for most now it is a book and pay scenario. Where there's demand the punters will pay, so they say.

Pretty much all the HAL ships allow passengers out on the bow. It is a nice spot to take a 'bucket of beer' and enjoy a leisurely sailaway. Usually only a dozen or so people out there, as so few passengers know how to get out there ;).

I am about to cruise on Rhapsody for the first time next week. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to access the bow on her?

Cheers,

Carina

On the Princess ships the deck space at the bow is crew area, they have their little pool and spa there. Fair enough too, they are entitled to some space. Crikey, there is enough space on cruise ships without pax hogging the bow area !!! Think of your hardworking crew who need some relaxation and fresh air.

I think people are just asking if they can, not that they feel an entitlement to do so.

On most RCL ships the helipad is on the bow so definite access.

No worries, I realise that. Thanks.

I am about to cruise on Rhapsody for the first time next week. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to access the bow on her?

You can't get out to the front of the Rhapsody unfortunately. She's not been built for that.

1470422_10153446059185012_770162337_n.jpg

Edited by finetuneit

When we sailed into Champagne Bay on Radiance we went to the very front and I saw a flying fish it was amazing at first I thought someone was flying a kite then I clicked.

A flying fish:confused:

Lol sorry I had to laugh:D

I have been obsessed with flying fish since my very first cruise:)

One officer on P&O told me that the pointy bulbous thing in the water that is in front of the ship sends the flying fish out of the water around mid ship.

I have spent many hours (and beers) watching the flying fish:D

Its always a WoW moment when they skim the bow wave and fly on and on!

I always wonder if they enjoy it or are just getting out of the way:confused:

Keeps me entertaianed on formals waiting for tracey to get dressed:D

A flying fish:confused:

Lol sorry I had to laugh

I have been obsessed with flying fish since my very first cruise:)

One officer on P&O told me that the pointy bulbous thing in the water that is in front of the ship sends the flying fish out of the water around mid ship.

I have spent many hours (and beers) watching the flying fish

Its always a WoW moment when they skim the bow wave and fly on and on!

I always wonder if they enjoy it or are just getting out of the way:confused:

Keeps me entertaianed on formals waiting for tracey to get dressed:D

between Mexico and Hawaii, there was no wildlife to be seen but thousands of Flying fish, from morning to evening. It was mesmerizing to watch them from the balcony while having a drink or two.:D