Great packers encouragement needed🎁

LHC

Ok first thing this morning hit the closet for cleaning, changing seasons taking out cruise clothing and find hidden Christmas gifts. After filling and removing 3 30 gal plastic bins along with2 39 g garbage bags of giveaways for KARM I am ready for winter and have out all my cruise gear. Now how do I pear it down, be prepared for Christmas and NYE on board!

One bite at a time!:D

I always start with my evening clothing.

Then I select a color. Then I grab every item in that color and I coordinate outfits. I do a lot of editing.

I have a big gateleg table that I set up in my office and I work off of that.

It takes me about a week to work it all through.

Good luck!:)

I got a portable clothes hanging rack, put it in the guest room, hang everything up to see how they mix and match and then drape any accessories over them and line up the shoes. Then pack and weigh it. Put all the non-clothes items in a blue HAL bag. Weigh that, and then go for broke with any extra clothes items I still want to bring until I get to 50#. Per bag. :cool:

Ha Ha! When we lived in Kenya I had a local Women's Club cookbook with a recipe for cooking an elephant (stuffed, of course!). I wish I could find it. As far as packing, I agree with the colour thing, but always, easier said than done!:D

I bring up a clothes rack, pull out everything I think I am going to wear. Then I start weeding out the wants so I can get to the needs. My goal is to wear everything I am going to pack. I have to be honest I have not achieved the goal yet but am getting close.

Mix and match, especially the clothes you will wear in the evening..I wear them more than once by mixing them up with accessories and changing out the tops.

We take advantage of the laundry service onboard, this cuts down packing numerous pairs of daily wear. It goes out to laundry every night when we go to dinner and is back in the cabin the next day ready to wear again.

It's shoes that are my problem..DH can't ever remember packing those one time wear of dressy sandals in his luggage:)

Ha Ha! When we lived in Kenya I had a local Women's Club cookbook with a recipe for cooking an elephant (stuffed, of course!). I wish I could find it. As far as packing, I agree with the colour thing, but always, easier said than done!:D

And how many pounds of stuffing did that take? :)

This :):)made me laugh

Caution, not for the faint of heart.

On a shore excursion overnight in South Africa we went to the Phinda Game Reserve and our guide took us past a killed elephant who was getting munched on by the surrounding carnivores so it was a huge hollow carcass. But he was smelling so badly by that time that the even our intrepid guide left the car to throw up.

DH and I were merrily sitting in the front row of the open car Land Rover totally oblivious because we had both picked up those rotten cold/cough things that can happen on board ships and did not smell a thing.

But peeking inside that cavernous skeletal critter made me realize it would take at least 37 wart hogs and a bread tree forest to even begin to get him stuffed up again.

Also have lists we have used for years including one the extra stuff (bathroom, electronics, etc). Start with slacks or skirt color (limited to black, white and beige) then add tops. Gave up on coordinating shoes years ago and now stick with capezzio-style flats in black and in white for dinner, plus my black with rhinestone ones for formal nights. Small, fit in little empty spaces in suitcases and so comfortable, especially after a long day trekking around in a port. Someone also mentioned using shoe clips as an add-on for variety so may have to look into that.

No lists. Packed in 20 minutes last night for 7 pre cruise days and 14 days on the ship. DW was about an hour yesterday AM.

We prefer to pack as light as possible. We found that the longer we planned for it the more we packed and the more we never used.

Somehow I am the "assigned packer" in our family, selecting clothes for DS (27 year-old) and for DH (won't confess his age) and for me. Two guys are fairly easy---1 pair each navy dress slacks, neutral color slacks which zip-off to create shorts, and 2 bathing suits which also serve as shorts. Each guy gets 5 T-shirts and 5 Polo shirts to mix and match. They each have a tux with 2 tux shirts and all the rest of the tux gear. One pair formal shoes, one pair water shoes (LL Bean, so these shoes also serve as tennis shoes). All this fits nicely in one carry-on. Bundle the clothes. Link to youtube and find the video of the guy from UO who takes you step-by-step.

I take one pair of neutral capris, one neutral shorts, two bathing suits, one neutral slacks, one bathing suit cover-up which looks like a dress, 5-6 T-shirts/collar shirts, 2 jackets, 2 cocktail dresses, one pair dress shoes, one pair formal heels, one water shoes (again doubles as tennis shoes). All fits in carry-on, plus all the underwear for everybody.

If the ship has a laundry, we bring less underwear for the guys and wash when we need to. But 2 carry-on suitcases bring our clothes.

In addition, I have a large clear plastic bag similar to a purse which carries jewelry, medicine, cameras, etc.

Once you decide on a cruise wardrobe that works for you, write down the clothes and assessories you're going to wear each day. Save your list(s). Next time, you simply work from your list and replace worn clothes as needed. Very easy.

I know you'll get a handle on it. Don't let the rush of the holidays wear you down so much that you dread this task. Above all, save time for you to savor going on your cruise!

Edited by sevenseasnomad

What size suitcase is your largest piece?

For the longer 2 week plus cruises, I use both a large rolling Duffle and a large rolling 26" Tutto bag ( http://store.tutto.com/large-pullman/ )with a small hanging wardrobe compartment - both can take over 50 pounds, so it is a process of elimination still rather than just filling the bags. What I like about both bags is they collapse and easily fit under the bed. And that the duffle stacks on top of the Tutto for easy carry of both bags.

Edited by OlsSalt

I got a portable clothes hanging rack, put it in the guest room, hang everything up to see how they mix and match and then drape any accessories over them and line up the shoes. Then pack and weigh it. Put all the non-clothes items in a blue HAL bag. Weigh that, and then go for broke with any extra clothes items I still want to bring until I get to 50#. Per bag. :cool:

Portable hanging racks are the best. That exactly what i do. I figure out how

many days of clothes dressy or casual I need. I also try to limit shoes. Three pairs are what i aim for.

Portable hanging racks are the best. That exactly what i do. I figure out how

many days of clothes dressy or casual I need. I also try to limit shoes. Three pairs are what i aim for.

I figure out how many port days and how many sea days and work off that too. A port "uniform" with lots of pockets and versatility vs more casual easy separates for at sea.

Then basically tops for casual dinner nights that go with a few basic skirts and pants, and 2-4 formal outfits depending on the cruise.

The big weak spot for me are casual night dinners - that is where I like a lot of variety. But we always end up missing dinner if we ate in port, having room service, going to the Pinnacle or seas are too rough for anything so the actual amount of casual dinner nights is never the real amount I ended up planning for.

Our past cruises have been 28-50 days so I really had to approach this as a battle plan. Plus adapt to different temperature and weather changes on those longer cruises. But even with this upcoming 7 day one, it will be fun to see if I can really pare it down to finally wearing everything I bring rather than paying extra to lug things around that never get worn.

Discovering those highly comfortable and serviceable ultra-light weigh Bernie Mev shoes is going to shave pounds of my next packing challenges.

I have computer lists that I have used for years -- 4 lists for 4 suitcases. Helps DH know exactly what he has to get out to be packed in each suitcase. If we do get something new, I update the lists right away.

I have lists for 14 day cruises and 21 day cruises.

Good idea. I make a list a month or so ahead of time and stick to it......it is the best way for me so I don't get distracted and pack way too much.

I promise not to remember what you wore, if you promise the same.

We stick to one color way (black for me, khaki for DH) and work off that for short or long cruise. Use the laundry service. Use "Exofficio" undies for both of us that we wash out in the sink. (dry overnight…3 sets). Tilly makes some dry overnight socks we have too.

I, too, use that folding method found online on Youtube somewhere…makes a "package"… I'm sure I fit more that way than the old rolling method I did like.

Stopped DH taking formal wear years ago. Now it's only a suit…and depending on the itinerary, perhaps not even that.

We also found we were often too tired from a port day to eat in the MDR so more often than not, we eat in the Lido, so I don't worry about too many "dressy tops" though I bring about 4 "Chico's" type…they weigh nothing and can be squashed into anyplace.

In "changing climate places" (Antarctica/South America comes to mind)…just layer…fleece and a raincoat were all we needed (hat and gloves, too.)

Biggest challenge nowadays are chargers, cords, etc. for electronic gear! Not to mention our camera stuff…tripods, lenses, multiple cameras. That's what fills our carryons! ;-)

When buying luggage DON'T buy anything that will even remotely weigh 50 pounds. Check online for the approximate pounds that will fit x size luggage. You might have to shlep it yourself sometime, too! Carryons in many planes (small) can't take over 8 kg. So pack for the smallest transportation you'll incur.

Whatever we pack, we (each of us) has to be able to transport ourselves…which is getting tougher the older we get…hence traveling lighter.