princess western cruise from houston

popbar

Looking to book this cruise for February but need to fly out the day before as I am flying out of Ontario and want to be sure weather is not a factor in missing the ship. If I purchase transportation to the port through princess cruise lines,where should I spend the night...near the airport and then hop on the transportation at the airport the next day? Which airport should I fly into? Any help would be appreciated..thanks

HOU (Hobby) is closer to the port than IAH (George Bush).

Princess has transfers available from both airports, but coming from Ontario I suspect IAH is the only choice unless you want to change planes somehwere along the way. If you can fly to either airport, just go with the flights that best meet your budget and schedule.

There are hotels near both airports that will have a shuttle to bring you to the hotel and then back to the airport in the morning for the Princess xfer.

That's what we're doing at the end of January. We're flying into Hobby, staying near the airport then shuttling back to the airport to catch the Princess Transfer. We booked the transfer initially because we weren't sure which airport we were going to use. The Princess transfer is definitely a deal if you're flying into Bush, IMO. As this is our first time cruising out of Texas, we didn't want to hassle with transportation...

We stayed at the Hampton Inn near IAH. It was about 5 mins from the airport. The shuttle came very fast (call them once you get past baggage claim and tell them which terminal you are at). The hotel is very clean and modern, and has free continental breakfast. Only downside is the shuttles are very small, vans actually. So in the mornings they can and do fill up. You have to sign up for the shuttle the night before and they leave ON TIME! (We missed our first scheduled shuttle.)

Currently they are showing $84/nt on Hotels.com but I think we only paid about $73 last month.

Whatever hotel you stay in, I say make sure they have free airport shuttle to and from, free wifi, free breakfast to tide you over till you get onboard. Also the transfer ride from IAH to the port is about one hour.

Other option there is also Super Shuttle. Same price or cheaper price if you have a group. Their vans are smaller, so fill up quicker and get going faster. Princess transfers are large "tour bus" types and they wait until all 50+ seats are filled before they take off.

Edited by whataboutport

Princess uses the Airport Marriott in IAH if you want to stay close to the airport. I think they do have free transportation to/from IAH.

The Marriott is actually part of the airport, located between termimals B and C. An underground tram goes between the terminals and includes a stop at the hotel.

The Marriott will be more expensive than most of the hotels off airport property.

The area around Hobby airport is run down and not always safe. I would much rather have an extra 20 min or so commute and stay in a safer area (around IAH - Houston's Intercontinental Airport). You will have better hotel choices as well. (I live in Houston, so my experience is first hand)

The area around Hobby airport is run down and not always safe. I would much rather have an extra 20 min or so commute and stay in a safer area (around IAH - Houston's Intercontinental Airport). You will have better hotel choices as well. (I live in Houston, so my experience is first hand)

Hobby airport, having just completed a big renovation is not run down.

I would not call the area around the hotels near either IAH or HOU a good place to walk around. Besides, there is nothing of value to walk to.

I agree with sandinmyshoes about HOU. It is located on the south side of Houston which indeed is rundown. Drive down Telegraph some day and see what is there. Not only is it not a great area but is lacking in amenities. IAH is in a much better location with many hotels and restaurants. I have flown into Houston many times in my job. Now when we cruise out of Galveston or most recently Bayport we stay in the Clear Lake/NASA area

Two people in our party are flying into Hobby the night before the cruise, and going to the Comfort Suites which has a shuttle and very good reviews on TripAdvisor. I was able to get them a senior rate of $71.00 (just have to be 60 or older) which I though was really good. The other rates were good too. Free breakfast! The next morning they are taking the shuttle back to the airport for the Princess transfers.

I would not call the area around the hotels near either IAH or HOU a good place to walk around. Besides, there is nothing of value to walk to.

We also live in the Houston area and I agree with caribill. There is not any place you would want to walk to outside a hotel near IAH or HOU. If you stay near either airport, it should only be for a safe place to sleep until you can catch a transfer the next day.

I have flown into Houston many times in my job. Now when we cruise out of Galveston or most recently Bayport we stay in the Clear Lake/NASA area

Clear Lake, Webster, Kemah - all are good choices if you are cruising out of Bayport and want a hotel for 1 night in an area with more amenities. At or very near the Kemah Boardwalk would be my choice.

Edited by SeaTheWorldBySea

We decided to book the Marriott through Princess which includes the bus transfer to the port and from the port to the airport. It's a bit more expensive than booking an offsite hotel. We paid $226 for the hotel and the transfers for both of us. (Be aware, that price does not include breakfast at the hotel which will run another $15PP.) We're not getting in until after 8PM and wanted to minimize the hassles involved with shuttles and a double bag drag, etc., so we were willing to pay the extra. If you choose to take the super shuttle, they will pick you up at your hotel negating the need to go back to the airport.

The Marriott is actually part of the airport, located between termimals B and C. An underground tram goes between the terminals and includes a stop at the hotel.

The Marriott will be more expensive than most of the hotels off airport property.

Thanks - I thought that's what they had. A convenient tram from the airport. Guess that convenience makes the price a little more, but still, it's pretty reasonable for an airport hotel.

We decided to book the Marriott through Princess which includes the bus transfer to the port and from the port to the airport. It's a bit more expensive than booking an offsite hotel. We paid $226 for the hotel and the transfers for both of us. (Be aware, that price does not include breakfast at the hotel which will run another $15PP.) We're not getting in until after 8PM and wanted to minimize the hassles involved with shuttles and a double bag drag, etc., so we were willing to pay the extra. If you choose to take the super shuttle, they will pick you up at your hotel negating the need to go back to the airport.

I was told the breakfast was $20pp there. Just FYI.

Princess uses the Airport Marriott in IAH if you want to stay close to the airport. I think they do have free transportation to/from IAH.

You don't need transportation to the Airport Marriott. It is within the airport complex and is a stop on the underground tram that runs between the terminals. It has a stop on the tram system between terminal B and C. Just take the escalator up into the hotel.

You don't need transportation to the Airport Marriott. It is within the airport complex and is a stop on the underground tram that runs between the terminals. It has a stop on the tram system between terminal B and C. Just take the escalator up into the hotel.

To get to the tram after you have picked up your luggage, you go down (elevator or escalator) one level from the luggage area.

Edited by caribill

Hobby Airport is fine, but the neighborhood around it is sketchy. I would make sure where ever I stayed around Hobby had a full service restaurant so I did not have to go out looking for a place to eat. Just don't leave the hotel and you will be fine.

I'm doing this in March. According to my TA Princess can do transfers for a day early with an hotel stay. The price she quoted for the Houston Four Seasons was amazingly inexpensive booked thru Princess.

Forgot to ask about the Four Seasons. If I may ask, what was the price including transfers? Did that include breakfast?

We're flying in on Friday and we booked the Marriott through Princess. $226 including transfers but no breakfast.

Ok. We planned to do just that. Stay at the Comfort Suites on Airport Blvd. and walk to fairly nearby restaurants for dinner and maybe lunch.

How bad would that be in broad daylight. There will be five of us including a 10 year old girl.

About the Four Seasons, I haven't booked it yet and I don't know about breakfast.

I travel solo and the rack rate for the Four Seasons was showing as $320/night and the rate I was quoted with transfers as about $200.I keep thinking that rate must be per person double occupancy. But I did ask my agent to check and she confirmed it.

Ok. We planned to do just that. Stay at the Comfort Suites on Airport Blvd. and walk to fairly nearby restaurants for dinner and maybe lunch.

How bad would that be in broad daylight. There will be five of us including a 10 year old girl.

Looks about 2 or 3 blocks to a Denny's. Should have no safety problems in daylight or early evening. Sunset will be soon after 5 PM at this time of year.

Looks about 2 or 3 blocks to a Denny's. Should have no safety problems in daylight or early evening. Sunset will be soon after 5 PM at this time of year.

How sweet of you to look that up, but I had checked out nearby places before we booked. Our last cruise with the extended family my dear husband booked a hotel almost a mile from the nearest restaurants. I had to walk uphill both ways. LOL Seemed like it anyway.