Cruise Reviews-- Frustrated!

So we're trying to convince a couple to come aboard with us last minute on our upcoming cruise. Prices are great!

I get hit this morning with "have you read the cruise critic reviews??"

Looked at what they were talking about... people saying things like "the menu's each night in the MDR never changed except for 1 item"

I know everything's subjected, but do some people just not pay attention? Of course that's something we all know is false- of course they change.

Other things like people saying everything besides that and the Windjammer were extra (didnt mention cafe promenade, Sorrentos) and that the shows were all "sold out" so they couldn't go.

Frustrating bc I've been on 19 cruises with Royal and never experienced those things. Now I've got to make my friends "take my word" :o

We almost cancelled our first cruise - Hawaii on the NCLA's Pride of Aloha. I had booked the cruise before finding Cruise Critic. When I was researching online to find out more about cruising, of course I found, and joined up to Cruise Critic.

I was horrified by what I read. I called my TA to cancel. Luckily, she convinced us to stick to it. We went on our cruise and absolutely loved it!

Over the few years since I've been a CC addict, it has become obvious to me that people are people and have vastly different expectations and opinions. I read all reviews and comments (good and bad) with a grain of salt.

So we're trying to convince a couple to come aboard with us last minute on our upcoming cruise. Prices are great!

Looked at what they were talking about... people saying things like "the menu's each night in the MDR never changed except for 1 item"

I know everything's subjected, but do some people just not pay attention? Of course that's something we all know is false- of course they change.

Other things like people saying everything besides that and the Windjammer were extra (didnt mention cafe promenade, Sorrentos) and that the shows were all "sold out" so they couldn't go.

Frustrating bc I've been on 19 cruises with Royal and never experienced those things. Now I've got to make my friends "take my word" :o

I, too, am continually amazed by some of the reviews I read on these forums. On a number of occasions I have read accounts by people who sailed on the same cruise as me that described an utter hell that was not even close to my experience. More often than not, the primary complaint is the cuisine in the MDR, which always amuses me because I don't know what people truly expect. Is the food "the best I have ever had?" Of course not, but I have also never had a poor experience. I am convinced that people just enjoy complaining and for some reason think a "review" requires something negative. Or maybe, as we say in Texas, "they're just not from around here, are they?"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Man! When I think back on all the bad reviews before I went on my 1st cruise on Sovereign Of The Seas......WOW! In spite of I went anyway and did not experience anything like the stuff I had read! I was wondering if I was making a big mistake. It was the best time I had on a vacation and started me cruising!

The food thing always cracks me up cause I see full MDR's full Windjammer's etc when I am on a cruise! It amazes me to see all the people on CC that eat in 5 star restaurants and eat gourmet meals all the time or so it would seem. it seems like only a very small percentage of people ever go to places like Chili's, Applebees, Outback, buffet restaurants, etc and expect to get a Ruth Chris meal on a ship that is feeding 2,000 plus people a day. I'm so glad that my palate and taste enjoys various types of food and can always find something suitable to eat! Even with Pizza people say that Pizza Hut and Papa John's isn't real pizza and would be caught eating it. Heck last night I got a pizza to take home from Costco :eek: after shopping there and it was damn good!

Edited by bigque

I find people are overly concerned with reviews. I have my mind set that there will be things I do not like in ANY vacation experience. As long as the positive is greater than the negative :p--we had a good time.

People who expect perfection will never have their expectations met.

Tell them to start a thread on CC regarding the ship you have selected and ask for help since it is their first cruise. I bet they get lots of positive feedback. . . . and they will get excited about the cruise. :D

i laugh at the way some people sweat the little things

Bingo. There are folks who just love to nitpick. It's almost as if they live to criticize things, and inspect every little thing like they're Sherlock Holmes looking for clues to a crime. And then there are others, like my husband and I, who just want to have a good time.

We've been on cruises where we didn't like certain things, like food or whatever. But did that ever ruin a cruise for us? NO! We've never had a cruise ruined because the steak was too tough, or the shrimp was overcooked. We've always found things to eat, and never went hungry.

You need to tell your friends to ignore the reviews, and judge for themselves...and the only way for them to do that is to take the cruise. Everyone deserves to make up their own mind.

Bingo. There are folks who just love to nitpick. It's almost as if they live to criticize things, and inspect every little thing like they're Sherlock Holmes looking for clues to a crime. And then there are others, like my husband and I, who just want to have a good time.

We've been on cruises where we didn't like certain things, like food or whatever. But did that ever ruin a cruise for us? NO! We've never had a cruise ruined because the steak was too tough, or the shrimp was overcooked. We've always found things to eat, and never went hungry.

You need to tell your friends to ignore the reviews, and judge for themselves...and the only way for them to do that is to take the cruise. Everyone deserves to make up their own mind.

fb-like-button.jpg

Did your friends choose to not believe the positive reviews, or your own experiences. If you have sailed RCI 19 times, do they think you enjoy paying money to be repeatedly punished ?

And hopefully they realize that most of the complaints are about purely subjective things like food and décor. I have never figured out how so many people that come back with 100% negative experiences have gotten such incredibly high expectations that nothing was met. Especially on food, do they realistically believe they are going to be served five star cuisine every night, with every selection one of their favorites, cooked exactly to their expectations, seasoned to their personal taste, and served by an entire wait staff who are there for only their needs ? Sure, just them, along with 800 to 5000 others on board.

Edited by MermaidWatcher

Are there any 'Live from.... ' threads about the ship you're considering? Or a review in this section they could read? They might find some more/better insight from them.

I always take the reviews with a grain of salt. Sometimes within the first lines you can tell if someone will find flaws with everything or go with the flow.

Personally I don't believe in trying to convince someone to take a cruise with me regardless if the prices are cheap or not. They either want to or don't.

Given that the information posted on CC represents only a small percentage of the total cruising population most people take what's post with a grain of salt. Have you considered that the individuals just don't want to go and are using comments from CC as their excuse when perhaps they may not have the money (regardless of how cheap you think it is) or time to do so ?

It appears that they don't really want to go and is looking for a reason not to go. It's better that they make up their minds for themselves without you trying to convince them. If you convince them, every negative experience that they have will be your fault which could impact your vacation negatively. It was never in the original plan for them to go anyway.

I have had vacations with friends that were great and I have also had some that made me wonder what I was thinking when I invited them. Good luck either way.

Personally I don't believe in trying to convince someone to take a cruise with me regardless if the prices are cheap or not. They either want to or don't.

Given that the information posted on CC represents only a small percentage of the total cruising population most people take what's post with a grain of salt. Have you considered that the individuals just don't want to go and are using comments from CC as their excuse when perhaps they may not have the money (regardless of how cheap you think it is) or time to do so ?

It appears that they don't really want to go and is looking for a reason not to go. It's better that they make up their minds for themselves without you trying to convince them. If you convince them' date=' every negative experience that they have will be your fault which could impact your vacation negatively. It was never in the original plan for them to go anyway.

I have had vacations with friends that were great and I have also had some that made me wonder what I was thinking when I invited them. Good luck either way.[/quote']

AGREE!! Cruising just doesn't appeal to some people for whatever reason...and if you have to "convince" them to join you then it may be that your friends fit into this category...nothing wrong with that...everyone is willing to spend money on the thing's that appeal to them the most...

My favorite reviews are from the people that complain about every little detail. They complain about the most basic elements that are essential to the cruise experience. Then they say it's their 20 somethingth cruise and you just have to shake your head and wonder how so many crew members have dealt with them for so many sailings.

March 2013 was the first cruise on Liberty of the Seas. I have never been on a cruise and did not want to no matter what my family or friends say. I finally relented bc it's for my mom and we made it a family type reunion. IT was the BEST experience I ever had. I just got back this November and now booking for Oasis in 2014. And believe me when I say I read every review! Tell ur friends to read this review. I guarantee they will have the best vacation and they r going with friends who have been through it...and that makes it more fun and memorial.....I don't know it's something about the water that heals the soul..Happy Cruising!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As many have said you have to take all reviews with a huge grain of salt. Seems that most reviews are "I hated it" or "I loved it." We started cruising in 1998. We loved it so much that after our second cruise, our friends decided to "try it." We booked (3 couples) on Enchantment of the Seas when she was fairly new (2000). I read reviews and was really worried because one of our friends is a very fussy eater. One review was so negative, I was really worried. The reviewer stated that the food was so awful their 16 year old daughter could find nothing edible except hot dogs all week! Well, we went anyway. Our friends loved it so much that we have cruised nearly every year since.

I agree with the sentiment that your friends just don't want to go. Too bad. Cruising is such a great vacation. But it's not for everyone. Some people would rather just not have the luxury, service, good food, great views, fun parties, great entertainment, etc. that comes for a reasonable price on a cruise. Me, I love it. I would suggest that you just go and enjoy, find other friends to cruise with. Let those who will hate it because they are convinced they'll hate it, do something else.

I, too, am continually amazed by some of the reviews I read on these forums. On a number of occasions I have read accounts by people who sailed on the same cruise as me that described an utter hell that was not even close to my experience. More often than not, the primary complaint is the cuisine in the MDR, which always amuses me because I don't know what people truly expect. Is the food "the best I have ever had?" Of course not, but I have also never had a poor experience. I am convinced that people just enjoy complaining and for some reason think a "review" requires something negative. Or maybe, as we say in Texas, "they're just not from around here, are they?"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

The world will never change...its the same old:

20l1fg9.png

As for the food, hey I'm just happy someone else is cooking and cleaning...hello!

Edited by BecciBoo

You know something, I agree with the previous who've said maybe they just don't wanna go.

We've been trying to get my DH's brother/wife to go with us for years and they just don't seem interested and they have seen all our photos, videos and heard every story. And finally it occurred to us that people with a negative view might not be the best cruise mates...so we're good with it now. Course they'll never know what they're missing...then again, maybe they would never miss it...:confused: