Artist Loft

sitraveler

We've traveled on all of the ships and one difference between the R ships and O class ships have been the Artist Loft.

However, Oceania seems to be downgrading the loft to a sales venue. There is of course differences in instructors and activities. But the emphasis seems to be part of the reintroduced auctions. There seems to be limited participation of the passenger and more of a lecture or watching experience.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Where do they hold the art auctions??

I never made it to the Loft on our Marina cruise but heard here they are very popular

Maybe because they are free ;)

Wonder if the charged a small fee if they would thin the classes out a bit or would it be like the cooking classes ..fully booked?

Lyn

I think they should ask people to sign up in advance for the art classes. And a small charge wouldn't be amiss. I really wanted to do them, but got turned off when I arrived 15 minutes prior to find the class full.

This is truly not what the artist loft was advertised. Like a 1 hour lecture and then rolling into art sales/ the sleeze bag art auctions.

Like cooking classes they should charge a small fee and have sign ups

I remember on Regent they had a art class. in watercolors every sea day for a month. ( 36 day cruise trans pacific) and they provided all the supplies... We both loved it.

It would be easy to have like a series of say 4 classes, in stuff like acrylic , watercolor, etc with each class building on the one prior where you actually progressed from the start forward Charge $100 for the series.... furnish supplies. But please do not let this great space get turned into a sucker lecture .. and demo.

That's a future deal breaker for my wife and I if that's what we discover....

The Artist Loft has many different people doing different things

Not all Artists are painters ;)

We had t-shirt painting on the cruise, one on crafts & I believe there was a class on photography ...I did not make it to any so not sure what they did there

Will check it out in Jan if still there ;)

Lyn

We had photography when the Smith's were in the loft. She did art, he camera.

The camera sessions were so well attended we wound up in Horizons. Her sessions went to 2 groups.

Now, there was art placed in the Loft, half the space was lost for the classes on Marina's TA just ended.

We are going for two weeks in march on the Rivera, I will be very disappointed if the atmosphere of the loft has changed into a selling thing. One of the reasons I booked the trip was the fact that my wife had such a great time there last trip. If it has turned into the art auction space this will be my last trip on O.

The art classes on our recent Riviera crossing had nothing to do with the auction. Who knows what went on there the rest of the time. There were mostly only painting classes, different types of media and subjects (still life, landscapes), and one on perspective. No photography, no drawing as such.

The art classes on our recent Riviera crossing had nothing to do with the auction. Who knows what went on there the rest of the time. There were mostly only painting classes, different types of media and subjects (still life, landscapes), and one on perspective. No photography, no drawing as such.

Thanks for the input Wendy, that is how it was on our last trip and what my wife is looking forward to next time.

Our our TA on Marina the Artist's Loft was managed poorly.

The photography classes were so oversubscribed that folks were arriving an hour early to get a seat. It was not a good situation.

The same was true for some (not all) of the art classes

The CD was unaware of the problems. It was bedlam. There were a lot of "hard feelings."

As you can imagine, on a TA the Artist's Loft plays more of a role as folks are looking for activities to fill those sea days.

I board Riviera tomorrow and I will be curious to see how the Artist's Loft functions with a different CD and a more port intensive cruise.

My last cruise on another cruise line seemed to have ironed this out. They had needle craft in the room when afternoon tea wasn't being served. They had the art classes in the back of the area where the the buffet was served between lag time and trivia in vacant lounge. It seemed to work. Maybe it takes awhile to get the logistics down.

My last cruise on another cruise line seemed to have ironed this out. They had needle craft in the room when afternoon tea wasn't being served. They had the art classes in the back of the area where the the buffet was served between lag time and trivia in vacant lounge. It seemed to work. Maybe it takes awhile to get the logistics down.

HMMM

On the O class ships they have a designated room called the Artist Loft

Trivia as discussed & beaten to death is usually in the show lounge so no need to squeeze into other areas in between tea & dinner

But wait! Do my eyes deceive me? Are people ASKING Oceania to charge a fee for something that used to be free??? ;)

I used to be able to buy a brand new Corvette for $3600.... and earning $700 a month was hot stuff...

The adage "heat rises, water runs downhill and there in no free lunch" applies.

I am willing to pay more to get more. In this case I was suggesting rather than singular classes, have a series of classes, each building on the last. For people with a serious rather than passing interest this would be more productive. The cooking classes too could adopt this model with a series of 3 or 4 classes for one group.

The fee would be more reservation system where people could reserve a group of classes. They could however, offer singular classes first come first serve too

Sort of like ski lessons take a day lesson or sign up for a week with the same group.

Sorry, Dan -- I see that you are loyal to Oceania. I was referring to the numerous threads on Celebrity and even Crystal complaining about new fees.

Still, Oceania seems to be holding the line against "nickel and diming" and I think that should be encouraged.

The Artist Loft seems like a popular venue so they may need a better system than first in the door type

A sign up sheet would be a good idea & once the slots are filled then try for the next class

I would not like to see them charge a fee but it may be the way they have to go... like some classes in the gym

Or like the specialties limited access

Not sure what the answer is but if some people are not able to get into the classes then they need to rethink the program

JMO

Lyn

Actually, there is an "open house" - meet the artist in residence - usually in the early evening of the day we board. I rather like Lyn's suggestion of a sign-up sheet for specific classes, though depending on how popular they are, a spillover or repeat class schedule would be nice.

Artist Loft activities should still be free, but I for one wouldn't mind paying a nominal registration fee to be assured of a seat at the table for the length of the cruise as Dan suggests.

PS: Has anyone noticed statements in the new O brochures that the Artist Loft is now the venue for needlepoint? IMHO - If they ever open the shutters there the light would actually be great for needlepoint rather than in Horizons and the larger tables would work better for groups to sit at. Though it would certainly curtail the "coffee/needlepoint chat" element of this very popular morning activity. Marsha