Artist Loft

sitraveler

Marsha I know you are an avid participant in the Loft

I thing the sign up sheet is a good idea maybe a small fee for materials so people that have signed up would show up

Often time we had signed up for free lectures in the spa & then most people did not show

You could always grab a coffee on the way to the loft for the needlepoint class/meeting :)

Lyn

Sorry, Dan -- I see that you are loyal to Oceania. I was referring to the numerous threads on Celebrity and even Crystal complaining about new fees.

Still, Oceania seems to be holding the line against "nickel and diming" and I think that should be encouraged.

The very reason I sail Oceania is that are not nickel and dime but more of an ala carte . That is you pay for the exact experience, like La Reserve, the Liquor package, cooking class,that sort of stuff. Regent which I loved, lost me because you had no choice it was pre fix.

The advantage , however, is that you pretty much lay out a payment in the beginning and that's it... door to door

Ships like Holland and Celebrity are floating carnivals with a charge for anything and everything. There the fare is just the base and you can easily pay 2 to 3 times your base fare in extras in you follow the sirens song

Having, up front charges for specific and personally rewarding things is not nickel and dime in my book. Nickel and dime is when you think your are paying for something and discover there exist dozens of $$$ exceptions.

I see a much better option of having less variety in say the cooking classes with longer classes and in a short series. The current charge for a single class and class limits where you have to reserve. Having a 3 day series of Red Ginger classes is better than having a 1 hour class.

Same too with the loft. I suspect a lot of people are drawn by the fact it is no charge and wide open. It is a target of opportunity, more than serious desire.

something to do.

Both activities are in dedicated and finite size spaces.. The same limits should be applied to both. More content, longer times and reserved space is a recipe for satisfaction as I see it...

I think the most important thing to do when there is a popular venue or event, is that no one gets to attend a second time if there are others who have not even had a first time to participate. There is not enough space available for people as it is.

I hate the idea of signing up for a group of classes. That means only a select few would get the opportunity to attend multiple times.

If the same exact class is repeated multiple times then there is less incentive for repeaters to try to hog the classroom.

And a big NO to art auctions in the Artist's Loft.

Edited by gillianrose

I didn't take an art class during our January cruise - too many ports. But I would like to take a few on the Trans Atlantic we plan for 2015 - and I think it is a great idea to sign up in advance and to pay a little for the course. This works well with the cooking classes so why not with art? And it also avoids disappointment if so many people show up that others cannot get into the class.

I didn't take an art class during our January cruise - too many ports. But I would like to take a few on the Trans Atlantic we plan for 2015 - and I think it is a great idea to sign up in advance and to pay a little for the course. This works well with the cooking classes so why not with art? And it also avoids disappointment if so many people show up that others cannot get into the class.

Ditto, well put.

Using the same model for art as cooking classes would work

To improve that more get to attend I would suggest less topics. courses be held and that the popular ones be repeated. From experience they know the popular topics... it is not rocket science.

Example: On my next cruise 33 day, there are about 14 different cooking classes of which 3 filled up instantly Rather than offering 14 why not offer the 3 or 4 3 times! Same with Art. Offer 3 topics repeated 3 times

In both cases by reservation and a small charge to insure quality experience for all.

I find the quality and interest levels in the classes vary from cruise to cruise. I would be upset signing up and paying for a class I did not like. On the other hand, the spontaneity of checking something out and then deciding if you like it or not. If you want assurance of accommodation, come early. I've been disappointed myself when I try to slide in at the last minute and there is no room. But then, because I'm an adult, I just try to deal with it. (Knashing of teeth,frustrated scream!) it would be nice if O would provide additional sets of popular classes.

As for the artist's loft as a venue for needlepoint, I can only comment that the place may be tidy but it isn't as clean as you need for a needlepoint or knitting space where you don't want to dirty your materials. Or am I being too fastidious?

Mia

To improve that more get to attend I would suggest less topics. courses be held and that the popular ones be repeated. From experience they know the popular topics... it is not rocket science.

Example: On my next cruise 33 day, there are about 14 different cooking classes of which 3 filled up instantly Rather than offering 14 why not offer the 3 or 4 3 times! Same with Art. Offer 3 topics repeated 3 times

In both cases by reservation and a small charge to insure quality experience for all.

They did repeat each class twice, once in the morning, once in the afternoon. But they could have had 6 classes a day and filled them, I'm betting, on a crossing. More topics, perhaps some that are progressive, like a series on pencil drawing, or watercolor.

I would also like to see more craft classes. The needlepoint group met every day for almost 2 weeks. Perhaps similar crochet and knitting groups could be offered as well, although the cost of materials might get prohibitive. Even just to offer a knitting/crocheting circle where people could meet would be good--I saw lots of knitters onboard in November.

But no one should get SEVERAL classes before others, including last-minute cruisers or those who don't book things in advance for whatever reason.

The restaurants ensure that everyone dines there once, and the classes ought to give everyone interested an opportunity before anyone gets to take more than one class.

But no one should get SEVERAL classes before others, including last-minute cruisers or those who don't book things in advance for whatever reason.

The restaurants ensure that everyone dines there once, and the classes ought to give everyone interested an opportunity before anyone gets to take more than one class.

LOL. Not everything in this world is so PC.......

Last January on Riviera, art classes were held in the a.m. with a repeat in the afternoon. Though this was a port intensive, classes were full and everyone who wanted to participate was able to. The course covered acrylic painting, collage and a painted/decorated picture frame.

Our cruise last May on Marina was a totally different story. The artist in residence was an Artist -- not an instructor. Guests were advised as to the location of supplies and were expected to work independently using their own photos, etc. as inspiration as the Artist spent most days working on his own painting. Though standing room only on the first day, I only attended 3 times and on my last visit there were only 10 other guests.

Our November cruise on Marina was even more unsettling. Yes, we had a real artist/instructor, however, the room was encumbered by free-standing easels and auction pieces. Also, and most disturbingly, because the artist had other duties related to the art auctions/lectures, all classes were scheduled for 4 p.m. (To really get "into" a project you need time to work as well as time for clean up - usually an hour and a half to two hours.) This meant choosing between art, trivia and tea. It also cut down on time to dress for dinner, the Captain's party, sabbath services, Hanukkah candle lighting, etc. In addition, the storage cubbies for still-wet art were completely blocked by the aforementioned easels.

I for one was both frustrated and disappointed. We will be back on Marina in May and I'm hoping the situation in the Artist Loft will be revisited by the powers that be.

Marsha

And if that is so...its a 150% deal breaker. It is one of the reasons I and my wife picked Oceania Marina over the R ships and other lines. There is nothing more cheap and seedy than the faux auctions of priceless art mill junk along with sleeze auctioneer... pumping and pimping this junk.

LOL. Not everything in this world is so PC.......

What has "political correctness" got to do with it?

It's about fairness. Everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the art classes at least once, same as with the specialty restaurants.

Edited by gillianrose

What has "political correctness" got to do with it?

It's about fairness. Everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the art classes at least once, same as with the specialty restaurants.

If it were to happen it would fit with hot breakfasts, earlier and more specialty restaurant reservations. You get what you pay for and not necessarily what is"fair."

Last January on Riviera, art classes were held in the a.m. with a repeat in the afternoon. Though this was a port intensive, classes were full and everyone who wanted to participate was able to. The course covered acrylic painting, collage and a painted/decorated picture frame.

This is similar to what we experienced on the Riviera last year, don't remember any morning classes though, very port intensive itinerary. Two artists who were teachers, nice classes, good instruction for beginners and advanced artists, everybody got a chance.

Nothing more frustrating than not being able to get into an event because the spots are all reserved and then find out that many people just either forgot about it or were not that interested and did not bother cancelling!!:(

People who are interested show up. There are lots of competing events/activities onboard (like the food!!:)) and sometimes you get sidetracked.

Also, if they decide to charge for the classes, they had better make them consistently better! I really enjoyed Andre in July on the Marina, but an instructor on a previous cruise was pretty lame. Her classes were still well attended, but it was, by a stretch, crafts, and not art...

Mia

I was with Mia on the cruise with Andre on Marina this past summer (hi, Mia!!). It was great to see beautiful work that a non-artsy person could actually create, and I think that Andre did a good job. Unfortunately, after attending the first class, the other classes were held during days in port or at times when I had just gotten back and was too beat to attend. Therefore, I didn't finish anything - but I thought the painting on glass was a wonderful, classy thing to do. I also liked the gorgeous (and very doable) fabric things that Anna Smith did the year before on Marina (Caribbean). As a photographer, I also enjoyed her husband's presentations.

I did NOT feel that I was being sold anything at the Artist's Loft. I also don't think I would like to have to pay for the classes offered there - although that would not be unreasonable, assuming the cost isn't too high.

Ruth

Edited by roothy123

If it were to happen it would fit with hot breakfasts, earlier and more specialty restaurant reservations. You get what you pay for and not necessarily what is"fair."

I don't argue with the "pay for" part, but rather that Person A (will pay for class) should not get two classes before Person B (will pay for class) gets at least one class.

Classes, like bridge lessons, lectures and other activities are open to all - but especially to those who make a point to be on time (or a little early). I have seen people wander in 15 minutes to half an hour after the stated starting time which means the instructor has to interrupt the lesson to "catch them up" to the rest of the class.

The original intent of the Artist Loft was that it be a free instructional venue. Now that the space is also home to the art auctions, I believe it is critical to remind Oceania how important this program is to its passengers, while also ensuring that the materials provided are of top quality. On our last Marina cruise the watercolor paper was too thin to paint on without serious buckling (90 lb. rather than 140 lb) which meant we had to glue two pieces together in order to work. IMHO the paper was also much too large which meant that fewer people could work at each table and fewer people could be accomodated in the class.

I really look forward to voyages on Marina/Riviera because of the Artist Loft and would really welcome an arts and crafts person on cruises on Retatta/Nautica/Insignia.

Edited by loum140

Classes, like bridge lessons, lectures and other activities are open to all - but especially to those who make a point to be on time (or a little early). I have seen people wander in 15 minutes to half an hour after the stated starting time which means the instructor has to interrupt the lesson to "catch them up" to the rest of the class.

If people come in late they should be on their own to play catch up

or just observe

The instructors should not stop the class

Lecturers do not stop & start at the beginning for late comers ;)

Lyn

If people come in late they should be on their own to play catch up

or just observe

The instructors should not stop the class

Lecturers do not stop & start at the beginning for late comers ;)

Lyn

Sorry Lyn: I meant to say that my statement was regarding the art classes, not the lectures, etc. :o Marsha

The original intent of the Artist Loft was that it be a free instructional venue. Now that the space is also home to the art auctions, I believe it is critical to remind Oceania how important this program is to its passengers, while also ensuring that the materials provided are of top quality. On our last Marina cruise the watercolor paper was too thin to paint on without serious buckling (90 lb. rather than 140 lb) which meant we had to glue two pieces together in order to work. IMHO the paper was also much too large which meant that fewer people could work at each table and fewer people could be accomodated in the class.

I really look forward to voyages on Marina/Riviera because of the Artist Loft and would really welcome an arts and crafts person on cruises on Retatta/Nautica/Insignia.

I agree with you. I think when O provides these classes, it signals to the passenger that they are on a cruise line that is not "run of the mill". This is very attractive to people who are a little more "sophisticated" and "explorative" in their attitude to life. I know there is limited space, but as you said, people who are interested will show up on time or even early or even just show up. I think instructors try to squeeze as many people in as possible. There is a smorgasbord of possibilities onboard and we can't all cram everything in.

Also, a message to FDR. I was onboard when Andre was the artist in residence and I can't say enough wonderful things about him. He is a wonderful creative artist who's teaching methods includes encouragement and enthusiasm. The classes he "taught" were humming with energy and it was great to see people do things "outside the box". Art is very much about a way of looking, a way of seeing.

Mia