Blu Dress Code HELP!!

lion1956

We are packing for our trip now and staying in Aqua on Reflection, what is smart casual in Blu, can we wear shorts with sandals and collared shirts for breakfast and dinner? What is we eat in main dining room can we wear the same, on formal nights we are dressing formally in Blu

Thanks for any help

On a recent cruise ,we did not see any shorts at dinner in Blu or anywhere else. Not sure it is allowed/suggested. Shorts and tops ( collar or not) are fine for breakfast or lunch in Blu or anywhere around the ship.

Long pants for men, and pants, capris or skirts/dresses for women is the standard for casual dress.

enjoy

Edited by cruisegirl1

Blu is only open for breakfast and dinner. Most wore shorts for breakfast; several of the ladies had flowing coverups - probably over bathing suits getting ready for the day ashore. Smart casual for dinner does not include shorts. On formal nights most men wore suits or formal gear. Only a few had slacks and collared shirt.

We sailed on the T-day cruise, and were in Aqua, so we had dinner (and most of our breakfasts) in Blu.

Breakfast - shorts are fine. I usually wore shorts and a polo shirt. No issue with flip flops either.

Dinner - Khaki's and polo or long sleeve shirt. On the formal nights, the majority of people were dressed up, but as Blu's dress code is always "smart casual" I had no problem going in non-formal clothes.

We've stayed in Aqua and eaten in Blu on several cruises. Shorts, t-shirts and sandals are fine for breakfast.

This is Celebrity's description of smart casual for evening:

"Smart Casual and Above"

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

There is no mention of footwear.

Edited by kathynorth

Blu will allow shorts on the first night if you do not get your luggage prior to going to dinner - the MD is likely to remind you that this is a first night deal only... happened to us once:-)

There is no need for dress-up clothes in Blu - for us, that's part of why we pay the premium for AQ - HATE dressing up. There will absolutely be folks there in evening gowns and tuxes - BUT you would not be (nor will we be) violating the dress code by wearing khakis and a collared shirt.

I strongly suspect (though have no evidence of this) that the geography of the cruise impacts this as well. We generally cruise the Southern Caribbean in Jan/Feb time frame and generally seven night cruises. Very few Blu diners are dressing to the nines during that time/place. I read stories that Europe is more dressy - suspect that cruises longer than a week would be as well.... but since my hubby and I are still working, we don't generally get to try out that longer than a week deal!

The dress code in Blu is the exact same as the Main Dining Room except for formal nights.

Shorts will be common at breakfast but not allowed for dinner.

On formal nights when the Main Dining Room has the Formal dress code, Blu still has a Smart Casual and Above dress code. Our experience is that there is a good mix of passengers dressed formally and smart casual on formal nights in Blu. One would feel comfortable and fit right in dressed either in Formal attire or Smart Casual attire on those nights.

Edited by Lsimon

From the Celebrity website.

Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours but are acceptable for lunch. The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

As most said above, you would be very comfortable in shorts for breakfast and smart casual, no shorts for dinner. We usually do not pack a Suit or Sport coat as it is too heavy. We have never felt out of place in Blu in nice pants and a nice collared shirt for dinner, even on formal nights. Relax, it is your cruise holiday, enjoy

We sailed the Equinox & ate in Blu every night! On formal nights, there were many guys dressed in a tux and suit/tie. Women love men in a tuxedo so who are we to argue! :D

Edited by sharkwl

We sailed the Equinox & ate in Blu every night! On formal nights, there were many guys dressed in a tux and suit/tie. Women love men in a tuxedo so who are we to argue! :D

On Infinity in October there were many long dresses and evening suits in Blu on the formal nights too. I think as long as you are smart in the evening, wear whatever you are comfortable with, but not shorts :)

Lou

We were on Reflection in Med last summer. First formal night found me without my luggage (actually 7 nights without my luggage). The staff in Blu made me feel welcome on formal night even though I was severely underdressed. My husband was dressed appropriately but I sure got the stink eye from fellow cruisers. Loved Blu!

Fall of 2012 Hubs wore his tux in Blu. He was in the minority. He said he felt out of place in Blu. He actually started counting tuxes at the martini bar and then in the restaurant. He felt a bit better in the Martini bar...not so much in Blu. Spring 2013 he wore a suit and tie as did 50%.

I love a man in a tux...he owns his tux (boring work events)...but the couple sitting next to us in 2012 spilled the beans...told hubs all nights are smart casual. Yes, I played dumb. :D

Edited by 20pluscruises

Just back (a few hours ago) from 14 days on the Eclipse where we dined 13 nights (went to Murano on the 1st night) in Blu. No way you could get in Blu with shorts (unless your luggage was not delivered by dinner on the first night) and the folks in Blu were actually better dressed then most we say going into the MDR. Although Blu's policy is always "Smart Casual" we would estimate that over 90% of Blu diners where wearing tuxes or suits on formal nights. I would add that the food and service we experienced in Blu were outstanding. We had previously dined in Blu for 2 longer Silhouette cruises....and although that experience was good...it did not come close to what we experienced on the Eclipse. They have recently revamped the Blu menus (for the better) and the Eclipse Blu restaurant currently has a Jamaican chef who must be a perfectionist based on what we experienced.

Hank

We are packing for our trip now and staying in Aqua on Reflection, what is smart casual in Blu, can we wear shorts with sandals and collared shirts for breakfast and dinner? What is we eat in main dining room can we wear the same, on formal nights we are dressing formally in Blu

Thanks for any help

Just one word: No, no at breakfast, no at dinner. T-shirt and 3/4 pants are minimum

Doro

Just one word: No, no at breakfast, no at dinner. T-shirt and 3/4 pants are minimum

Doro

The above is absolutely incorrect for breakfast, it is an opinion not Celebrity policy. They understand people are going out for the day and don't want to go back and change. Dinner you will not be allowed in with shorts, except maybe first night.

Doro

Shorts are absolutely fine at breakfast and even lunch. About the only thing not acceptable at those meals are wet swim suits.

Hank

Doro

Yes, Yes at breakfast. Sailed in AQ back in April and passengers

wore shorts at breakfast every day in Blu.

Shorts are absolutely fine at breakfast and even lunch. About the only thing not acceptable at those meals are wet swim suits.

Hank

Hi Hank, when did Blu start serving lunch?:confused:

Although Blu's policy is always "Smart Casual" we would estimate that over 90% of Blu diners where wearing tuxes or suits on formal nights.

I totally agree. Over 90% of those in Blu on formal nights were really dressed. Nearly all men wore suits and above.

If you show up in shorts, you will most likely be asked to dine at the buffet or asked to change.

I totally agree. Over 90% of those in Blu on formal nights were really dressed. Nearly all men wore suits and above.

If you show up in shorts, you will most likely be asked to dine at the buffet or asked to change.

What was th percentage of tuxes? I would love to get hubs back to wearing his tux :)

May I aslo ask...were most suits with a tie or just a shirt and jacket? Thanks!

FYI..Hubs cracks me up wanting to go with the majority...during his high school days he sported very long hair and a pierced ear.

What was th percentage of tuxes? I would love to get hubs back to wearing his tux :)

May I aslo ask...were most suits with a tie or just a shirt and jacket? Thanks!

FYI..Hubs cracks me up wanting to go with the majority...during his high school days he sported very long hair and a pierced ear.

On our recent Eclipse cruise (just back yesterday) I would estimate that nearly half the men in Blu where wearing a Tux. But overall on the ship it was probably closer to 25% in Tuxes with a majority of the other men wearing suits. Of course there were the usual passengers that continue to redefine "dressing in bad taste" but that is now the norm on all cruise lines.

Hank

On our recent Eclipse cruise (just back yesterday) I would estimate that nearly half the men in Blu where wearing a Tux. But overall on the ship it was probably closer to 25% in Tuxes with a majority of the other men wearing suits. Of course there were the usual passengers that continue to redefine "dressing in bad taste" but that is now the norm on all cruise lines.

Hank

Isn't that funny? I would say on our most recent Alaska cruise, only a very small handful even wore a suit & tie in Blu, much less a tux. I don't think we saw one tux during the entire week in Blu. We don't dress 'in bad taste' -- but specifically booked the Aqua Class so we didn't have to dress formally for dinner. We stuck to the smart casual dress code and were definitely in the great majority in Blu. I met others that told us this is their primary reason for booking AQ cabins. So, now we are spoiled ....we were comfortable and enjoyed our cruise so very much. For times I cannot afford Aqua Class -- I simply book a specialty restaurant package ...try to hit them on the formal nights.

Most men were wearing either tuxes or suits with ties. I would say 1/4 tuxes and 1/2 suits/sports jackets. The rest had dress shirts and you always have the Hawaiian shirts. The assistant manager had some jackets that he threw over the back of the chairs of a couple of the less smart dressed men.