Laraine - your Riviera impressionS

LadyCruisers

that those of us who "love" O....love different aspects of both of the "size" ships. Thank you for your impressions!!! I have been so fortunate to be able to sail both of the "size" ships...and...I "thank my lucky stars" that I am fortunate enough to be able to sail at all...on any ship!!!! :rolleyes: LuAnn

that those of us who "love" O....love different aspects of both of the "size" ships. Thank you for your impressions!!! I have been so fortunate to be able to sail both of the "size" ships...and...I "thank my lucky stars" that I am fortunate enough to be able to sail at all...on any ship!!!! :rolleyes: LuAnn

+1 Joanna

I suggested to Lucien at dinner that polo be replaced with Jacques on the r ships lol

The r ship menus in the GDR do offer a sampling of menus from Jacques and red ginger

I would still choose the r ships in a heartbeat.

Red Ginger is our least favorite and my husband would be most unhappy if Polo was replaced by Jacques.

To each his/or her own!!

Red Ginger is our least favorite and my husband would be most unhappy if Polo was replaced by Jacques.

To each his/or her own!!

LOL, I certainly agree with that. On our recent 26 days on Riviera we found Red Ginger to be our favorite and Polo only passable. Of course we live in the Midwest where we have really good steaks, so the bar is high. Really enjoyed Jacques as well as Toscana.

The funny thing is most people rave about the Sea Bass in Red Ginger while I found the Miso glaze to be way overboard. It certainly wasn't my favorite there. We ate in Red Ginger 7 times out of the 26 nights.

Lol

Arlene. I am not having a "bad" time

I usually cruise for the itinerary. Not this time

Really taking it easy

No tours to organize

Eating too well

All good

The Caribbean is not for me

Like you I enjoy ports that have more to offer

We have taken 10 photos. We usually take thousands

I just find nothing of interest in this part of the world

And I love to shop-- but not in the Caribbean. There are no bargains here btw. The hype is deceptive

Now if I could get to Cuba..... That's on my bucket list.

We are all attracted to different things

Really looking forward to our viking odyssey on Nautica in July

Wonderful itinerary. We will have a ball. Ship is almost sold out

How perfect is this - we sailed with Laraine on the Nautica in April/May and we are sailing with Arlene on the Nautica in Feb/Mar.

Laraine, thanks for the great info about the Riviera, we are sailing her in September, and your spot-on comments about the Caribbean. Agree totally about St. Barths! Have a very Happy New Year!!

How perfect is this - we sailed with Laraine on the Nautica in April/May and we are sailing with Arlene on the Nautica in Feb/Mar.

Laraine, thanks for the great info about the Riviera, we are sailing her in September, and your spot-on comments about the Caribbean. Agree totally about St. Barths! Have a very Happy New Year!!

And Laraine and I are sailing on the Nautica in July!! Talk about a small cruising world - especially on Oceania!! Arlene;)

Frank -- we need to sail together again

I was on the Riviera with Laraine and we had the pleasure of a very brief meeting which would have been longer had there not been a mix-up with the meeting place.

I remember when she considered booking Riviera against her better judgement because she confessed at the time she hated the Caribbean and larger ships, but she wanted to cruise with her TA. I don't like the Caribbean either … or I should say I don't like the ports, but I love cruising the Caribbean. I didn't get off the ship except for Grand Turk and Princess Cays where we had a glorious swim.

I suggested Laraine give the Riviera a try and look at it all as just a relaxing getaway. For me that's what the Caribbean is (as well as the Riviera). It's a time to relax, read, and enjoy amazing food such as we have not had on any other cruise line in many years.

The Caribbean is not historical; there is little be learned there. But how can you get on a ship and be out on the glorious sea and not feel refreshed and happy if you're on any Oceania ship no matter what the size? Having cruised HAL and Celebrity in recent years I know it can be far less of a relaxing and enjoyable time.

Since 1982 we have cruised on ships carrying 150 and ships carrying close to 3000. We like the smaller ones. But put me on any Oceania ship any size and set it out to sea anytime. I don't care where it goes;it's all about the ocean for me. Out there I forgive myself for doing nothing. I let myself relax and unwind and let it all go. I didn't use the internet, I didn't go to the gym. I didn't make a phone call or receive one. I got sick midway through and still am and I don't care. I came home to identity theft that probably wouldn't have happened if I'd stayed home, but who knows?

I don't care who the staff is onboard; I trust they'll be wonderful. I know that's very important to many, but not to most of us. I don't need to know any of them, but if I see a familiar face it's nice. But on Oceania I feel very special and very welcomed without all that. On our 2 Oceania cruises I've never passed a crew member or Officer who didn't smile and greet me. That matters to me.

We're looking forward to our first Regatta cruise in November. Over the years we've sailed on many similar sized ships, but I have a feeling this one just might win the prize :)

The Caribbean is not historical; there is little be learned there.

I guess it depends on your perspective ;)

If you never get off the ship or only head to the beach then of course you would not see any of the historial aspects of the islands

JMO

Lyn

Your saying you came home to identity theft got my attention.... especially since you said you only got off the ship twice. What was the nature of the theft? Was one of your credit cards compromised?

No, all my credit cards are fine and I didn't use any on the cruise. Someone somehow got my SS# and used it along with my name, address and birthdate to apply for credit 9 separate times in a week. They went to the USPS website had had all my personal mail forwarded so the credit cards would come to them. Needless to say it has been a nightmare and one that is far from over.

Everyone needs to know that anyone can go on USPS and have mail forwarded. All they need is a credit card which the postal service tells me is to "prove identity" which of course it does not do since while they prefer you use a card with the individual's name and address, they do allow you to use another card with another name. They say it just takes longer. Not by much … while the PO sent me a "confirmation letter", since my mail was held I didn't get it until I came home. It takes far longer to correct this than to set it in motion.

I guess it depends on your perspective ;)

If you never get off the ship or only head to the beach then of course you would not see any of the historial aspects of the islands

JMO

Lyn

We have been to every island in the Caribbean before and stayed on several islands for a week or more. I didn't say there is no history at all; there is history everywhere. There is much to be seen in the Caribbean and (imo) little to be learned as compared to Rome, Athens, London, Egypt, etc. It is not as beautiful as Bora Bora, but superior to many parts of Hawaii and way more magnificent than Florida. All this is very subjective of course :). If it wasn't so beautiful I wouldn't have thousands of photographs. I never tire nor grow weary of islands in the Caribbean, but a cruise there cannot be compared to a cruise in the Mediterranean.

My comments were directed at those who say they hate the Caribbean. I cannot imagine how anyone can "hate" the Caribbean. If we did we wouldn't have cruised there so many times. But I can't see how anyone can venture there and consider it a learning experience.

Edited by HeatherInFlorida

I didn't say there is no history at all; there is history everywhere. There is much to be seen in the Caribbean and (imo) little to be learned as compared to Rome, Athens, London, Egypt, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherInFlorida

The Caribbean is not historical; there is little be learned there.

I will agree to disagree

It is a different type of history than Europe but still some historial sites on the islands

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Lyn, we really don't disagree. I was responding to the OP who basically said the Caribbean holds nothing for her. I never meant to suggest there is no history in the Caribbean and if it came across that way then I did not accomplishment my goal.

You will see few who venture into the Caribbean on a cruise who will consider it a learning experience. And truthfully, though I have yet to write my review of this cruise, I was astounded at the people who did choose to cruise Oceania this time. The demographics overall on this cruise in contrast to my last in January 2013 were mind boggling. But that's a story for another day:)

Heather and Pacheco, sorry I didn't meet either of you on the cruise. This was our first time back to the Caribbean in 8 years. The water is still lovely, but under the surface, it has been severely damaged by too many tourists not being careful. That being said, we enjoyed seeing the islands again. We learned many new things with our wanderings around the islands and interactions with locals. This was much more of a vacation rather than a trip which going to Europe and even the South Pacific is.

No, all my credit cards are fine and I didn't use any on the cruise. Someone somehow got my SS# and used it along with my name, address and birthdate to apply for credit 9 separate times in a week. They went to the USPS website had had all my personal mail forwarded so the credit cards would come to them. Needless to say it has been a nightmare and one that is far from over.

So sorry to read about your ID theft problems. What a huge chore you face. With your good attitude you will get through it though. Besides notifications you've already thought of and done, you should probably check with your tax adviser about notifying the IRS that you have been a victim of identity theft, if you haven't already done so. They will issue you a letter with a pin number which will go on your tax return. My DH and I are volunteer instructors for the AARP tax service, and ID theft is really being emphasized. We are required to ask each taxpayer whether they have been a victim. Best of luck to you in sorting out this mess. Marlene

Heather,

I'm in shock after reading how easy it was for someone to steal your identity. I can't believe the USPS allows someone to change their mailing address on-line, where it's not possible to show proper identification, but I went to their website and yes, it can be done. How awful! Now I'm regretting that we'll be away from home when tax documents are mailed to our house, making it especially easy for someone to steal our identity. Life is much too complicated, isn't it? So sorry this happened to you.

Heather so sorry to hear about the problems you have encountered since coming home. How did you discover that your identity was compromised?

We will be boarding the Riviera on Friday for our Caribbean visit. As you know I have been to the Caribbean on several cruises but really enjoy the ship, the new friends I make and the food. Will miss you this year.

Fran in Florida

So sorry to read about your ID theft problems. What a huge chore you face. With your good attitude you will get through it though. Besides notifications you've already thought of and done, you should probably check with your tax adviser about notifying the IRS that you have been a victim of identity theft, if you haven't already done so. They will issue you a letter with a pin number which will go on your tax return. My DH and I are volunteer instructors for the AARP tax service, and ID theft is really being emphasized. We are required to ask each taxpayer whether they have been a victim. Best of luck to you in sorting out this mess. Marlene

Thanks, Marlene. I did get the form online to notify the IRS, completed it and mailed it to them. I've not heard from them yet. They required the Police Report as well. So that's done and I hope they reply. I did talk to a friend who went through that and was given the pin #, but it still happened again!!!! I won't be due any refund because we plan our tax payments pretty well, but I don't want anyone filing for me either. From what I've heard this is a rampant problem right now.

Heather,

I'm in shock after reading how easy it was for someone to steal your identity. I can't believe the USPS allows someone to change their mailing address on-line, where it's not possible to show proper identification, but I went to their website and yes, it can be done. How awful! Now I'm regretting that we'll be away from home when tax documents are mailed to our house, making it especially easy for someone to steal our identity. Life is much too complicated, isn't it? So sorry this happened to you.

I was in shock, too. The USPS assured me that they "verify" the individual's identity by taking a credit card # (they charge a $1.00), but she then admitted that it isn't required to be in the same name as the person whose mail is being forwarded. However, she said if that's the case it takes longer for forwarding. The change was requested on 12/11 (a Wednesday) and by Monday my mail was being forwarded yet no charge appeared on any of my CC accounts. I am working on finding out if we can block this from happening. I did find that I was able to block access to my online or automated phone call Social Security account so I have done that.

Heather so sorry to hear about the problems you have encountered since coming home. How did you discover that your identity was compromised?

We will be boarding the Riviera on Friday for our Caribbean visit. As you know I have been to the Caribbean on several cruises but really enjoy the ship, the new friends I make and the food. Will miss you this year.

Fran in Florida

Fran, I'll miss you guys, too …. especially since you're almost on your way!!! The Riviera is as beautiful as last year. You'll have a great time. We got home last Sunday morning an my friend had brought in an overnight UPS package with a shiny new Amex Gold card. That was my first clue. My 2nd was a letter from USPS confirming I wanted my mail forwarded, but with no hint of the address. So I couldn't go online and reverse it and couldn't reach a living person at the USPS. So it took off from there …. quite a learning experience but just about everyone in the world has received the required paperwork, fraud alerts are on everything and I'm going to be signing up for Lifelock. Nothing like locking the barn door.

Sorry to take the thread so far off track!!! But on the other hand, as travelers who leave home frequently it's important to know how easy it was for this to happen. Only thing I don't know is how they got my SS#.

Heather,

My heart goes out to you because I cannot even imagine the nightmare this must be for you.

While it may be late for you, I would like to point out some options available to try to protect one's identity. It may be helpful for others and perhaps even for you in the future.

I subscribe to not one but two separate credit monitoring services. While nothing is truly foolproof, I find that this gives me some peace of mind and more control..

One of the services is with Equifax. They will report every incident of anyone (including myself) trying to obtain a credit report on me, such as you need to open a credit card. Not only will you find out that someone was trying to obtain your credit report but you can also put a lock on this reporting. This lock is so effective that the last two credit cards I applied for were temporarily denied as the bank could not obtain my credit (I forgot to unlock it temporarily).

I suspect that there are other services out there to provide same or similar services but these are the two that I have used for some time.

The other similar service is available through Amex (Credit Secure). This will also notify you of any inquiries into your credit and you can take action if this was not initiated by you. You get e mail notifications of any changes to your account that you can then investigate.

Both services are for a fee but they are well worth it to me. I don't believe that I am safe from identity theft - just a bit less vulnerable.

I suspect that there are other similar services out there as well but these are the two that I have used for some time.

I wish you all the best in this terrible predicament which unfortunately is part of our of modern technology & society.

Paul

Edited by Paulchili

Paul, thanks. After the barn door was opened;) I signed up for the Experian service like this and of course I have Fraud Alerts on all 3 services so for the next 90 days I will be notified immediately if anyone applies for credit in my name. And I plan to sign up with Lifelock which I had in the past. They cover all bases. Still, I'm not confident there's any fail safe way to stop these criminals. They're clever, smart, and happy to lie in wait. I will never feel entirely safe again. I don't think any of these services protect you against fraudulent use of your SS# to file with the IRS. So I've tackled that with the IRS, but not too confident in them either to be honest.

And so far I have found no way of blocking outsiders from forwarding my mail, but I'm working on it!!!:)

Paul, thanks. After the barn door was opened;) I signed up for the Experian service like this and of course I have Fraud Alerts on all 3 services so for the next 90 days I will be notified immediately if anyone applies for credit in my name. And I plan to sign up with Lifelock which I had in the past. They cover all bases. Still, I'm not confident there's any fail safe way to stop these criminals. They're clever, smart, and happy to lie in wait. I will never feel entirely safe again. I don't think any of these services protect you against fraudulent use of your SS# to file with the IRS. So I've tackled that with the IRS, but not too confident in them either to be honest.

And so far I have found no way of blocking outsiders from forwarding my mail, but I'm working on it!!!:)

Heather - You (and any one else who is concerned) might add "AARP / Fraud Watch Network" which is a free information service provided by AARP. It is simply another level of advice, education, information to prevent and or eliminate ID Theft.